Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong 20:31 - Nov 18 with 9538 viewsSPboy

Not that long ago, just after we had offloaded the wardrobe & the Icelander, the Res told us that we would have TWICE as many goals by this Christmas than last. So with the grand sum of 7 goals in 12 games how many goals do we need in the next 7 games to achieve that bold prediction?
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 07:13 - Nov 19 with 1852 viewsSTID2017

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 06:02 - Nov 19 by SPboy

What I am saying is that we sold our 2 best players and never replaced them. Some people on here like you agreed with the Res that it would enable us to return to a style of football that was free flowing and free scoring, perhaps like the Laudrup era. Most people could see that we did not have the players for this and some lay all the blame with the manager. A change of manager will not get us out of this mess without a substantial investment in at least 3 quality players which we all know will not happen

I agree with most of your post and The Res has been talking twaddle since the beginning of the year and isn't man enough to admit it.
His incredible plan for the future of the Swans has really come to fruition hasn't it ?
However the squad of players we have would do a lot better under a manager who inspires confidence and takes the shackles off.
A change of manager is needed and should have happened after the Brighton game (if not before)

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 07:50 - Nov 19 with 1838 viewsgiantstoneater

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 06:21 - Nov 19 by Bobby_Fischer

Whoever thought we were going to play free flowing football under Clement is a little naive to be polite.

I`m sure PC, in his earlier days, said that he wanted us to get back to the passing style of old we just haven't got the squad for it and people have lost patience with PC for continuing to play Clucas and refusing to give Mesa a chance. Mesa could be as bad as Clucas but deserves a chance to prove otherwise. Last season Olly was our 3rd choice striker, laughable for a side in the top division things eased a bit by bringing in Ayeuw but he can`t play down the middle and as for this season we started the season with a 19 year old and a player who has hardly kicked a ball in two years and Ayeuw, who still cant play down the middle and after Tammy`s injury Olly is now our second choice striker if selling Siggy was a big mistake then letting Llorente go was an even bigger one.
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 08:02 - Nov 19 with 1827 viewsjack247

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 06:02 - Nov 19 by SPboy

What I am saying is that we sold our 2 best players and never replaced them. Some people on here like you agreed with the Res that it would enable us to return to a style of football that was free flowing and free scoring, perhaps like the Laudrup era. Most people could see that we did not have the players for this and some lay all the blame with the manager. A change of manager will not get us out of this mess without a substantial investment in at least 3 quality players which we all know will not happen

The never replacing them bit is key.

I agreed about selling them and thought we would be a defensive, counter attacking team but would attack with a bit of verve at the right times during games. I was wrong about the last bit, but that is 100% a Paul Clement issue. We absolutely do have the players to cause defences problems if they are given a licence to get up in support and a bit of freedom to express themselves.

I can’t recall anyone saying we would play like we did under Laudrup or Rodgers. That was never going to happen.
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 08:42 - Nov 19 with 1799 views34dfgdf54

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 08:02 - Nov 19 by jack247

The never replacing them bit is key.

I agreed about selling them and thought we would be a defensive, counter attacking team but would attack with a bit of verve at the right times during games. I was wrong about the last bit, but that is 100% a Paul Clement issue. We absolutely do have the players to cause defences problems if they are given a licence to get up in support and a bit of freedom to express themselves.

I can’t recall anyone saying we would play like we did under Laudrup or Rodgers. That was never going to happen.

What players do we have that can consistently cause Premier League defences problems then? I honestly don’t see it.
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 08:55 - Nov 19 with 1778 viewsjack247

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 08:42 - Nov 19 by 34dfgdf54

What players do we have that can consistently cause Premier League defences problems then? I honestly don’t see it.

And you won’t while Paul Clement is in charge.

I thought Bony looked great yesterday. Chelsea fans are purring over Tammy, they can’t wait for him to lead their line next season.

Get those two linking up with Ayew and Dyer feeding off them, Sanches running at players or Fer getting up in support and we’ve got a pretty potent attacking unit for a lower half team. Isolate the strikers the way we do at the moment and we’re always going to look impotent.

Look at it another way, look at Burnley who are keeping pace with the big guns or Huddersfield and Brighton who have twice our points total - what players do they have better than Tammy, Bony or Sanches?
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:07 - Nov 19 with 1759 viewsDr_Winston

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 08:55 - Nov 19 by jack247

I thought Bony looked great yesterday. Chelsea fans are purring over Tammy, they can’t wait for him to lead their line next season.

Get those two linking up with Ayew and Dyer feeding off them, Sanches running at players or Fer getting up in support and we’ve got a pretty potent attacking unit for a lower half team. Isolate the strikers the way we do at the moment and we’re always going to look impotent.

Look at it another way, look at Burnley who are keeping pace with the big guns or Huddersfield and Brighton who have twice our points total - what players do they have better than Tammy, Bony or Sanches?

This.

We have players better than performances so far have shown. We're just bereft of confidence and a plan, both of which are down to Clement to provide.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:19 - Nov 19 with 1737 viewspencoedjack

‘Chelsea fans are purring over Tammy, they can’t wait for him to lead their line next season’

What a load of boll0cks there were a few comments the weekend of the Huddersfield game when he had a decent game and the reserve Chelsea striker had a mare

Morata must be asking his agent to start plotting his next move with Abraham returning
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:32 - Nov 19 with 1717 views34dfgdf54

We are relying on Bony who at present can’t stay fit, and hasn’t played hardly in two years.

Abraham is decent but nothing behind him, no service which we all knew would happen. Clement doesn’t like wingers, and even if he did, we are still counting on Dyer whose just back from an achillies injury, we yet again haven’t strengthened an area which is woefully under powered. We have had 7 seasons ffs.

Sanches isn’t a creative spark, he’s not that player, the Portuguese guys told us that when we signed him. For me there’s only really Ki who can create anything, Carroll has shown he can throw in the odd assist but on the whole he’s been awful.

We needed Chadli and Viera, or players of similar quality and attributes. It didn’t happen, it’s gokng to be a long slog of a season, whoever’s in charge. Clement needs to go though.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2017 9:33]
Login to get fewer ads

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:40 - Nov 19 with 1705 viewsjack247

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:19 - Nov 19 by pencoedjack

‘Chelsea fans are purring over Tammy, they can’t wait for him to lead their line next season’

What a load of boll0cks there were a few comments the weekend of the Huddersfield game when he had a decent game and the reserve Chelsea striker had a mare

Morata must be asking his agent to start plotting his next move with Abraham returning

Disagree if you want, no need to be a cock about it.

Chelsea fans are all over Tammy. My guess would be that if he was there now he’d be competing with Morata. Batshuayi wouldn’t get a look in.
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:41 - Nov 19 with 1701 views34dfgdf54

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:40 - Nov 19 by jack247

Disagree if you want, no need to be a cock about it.

Chelsea fans are all over Tammy. My guess would be that if he was there now he’d be competing with Morata. Batshuayi wouldn’t get a look in.

Bloody hell! Batshuayi is a much better player from I have seen. Both similar ages aswell.

Edit - though batshuayi was younger.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2017 9:42]
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:46 - Nov 19 with 1694 viewsjack247

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:32 - Nov 19 by 34dfgdf54

We are relying on Bony who at present can’t stay fit, and hasn’t played hardly in two years.

Abraham is decent but nothing behind him, no service which we all knew would happen. Clement doesn’t like wingers, and even if he did, we are still counting on Dyer whose just back from an achillies injury, we yet again haven’t strengthened an area which is woefully under powered. We have had 7 seasons ffs.

Sanches isn’t a creative spark, he’s not that player, the Portuguese guys told us that when we signed him. For me there’s only really Ki who can create anything, Carroll has shown he can throw in the odd assist but on the whole he’s been awful.

We needed Chadli and Viera, or players of similar quality and attributes. It didn’t happen, it’s gokng to be a long slog of a season, whoever’s in charge. Clement needs to go though.

Sanches is creative in a different way. He doesn’t play Pablo Hernandez defence splitters, but when he runs at a man he invariably beats him. That in itself opens up gaps as other players have to leave their positions to challenge him. He’s got the hard part nailed, if we can get players in and around him and he can master playing a teammate in after beating a player or two, that’s as creative as you need.

I don’t disagree we should have signed a Chadli or Viera. The players we have got are more than capable of hurting defences though, they just need the shackles taken off.
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:50 - Nov 19 with 1686 viewsjack247

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:41 - Nov 19 by 34dfgdf54

Bloody hell! Batshuayi is a much better player from I have seen. Both similar ages aswell.

Edit - though batshuayi was younger.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2017 9:42]

Thats possibly because you watch him playing for Chelsea/Belgium and Tammy playing for us
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:51 - Nov 19 with 1685 views34dfgdf54

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:50 - Nov 19 by jack247

Thats possibly because you watch him playing for Chelsea/Belgium and Tammy playing for us

True.
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 10:03 - Nov 19 with 1670 viewscostalotta

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 09:32 - Nov 19 by 34dfgdf54

Should have made more of an effort for Vierra imo.
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 10:37 - Nov 19 with 1633 viewsMoscowJack

Getting rid of Gylfi and Llorente wasn't wrong, but their replacements aren't hitting the ground running and maybe never will. That's why it's gone wrong, as has been said here earlier.

BUT....I'm not sure that PC could get the best out of Messi, Neymar and Suarez, to be honest!

Yesterday we had all the stats in our favour (69% possession, 200+ more passes, etc) except for three - goals scored, shots (on/off target) and a really important one in distance ran.

I can't remember the exact numbers now but we ran 5kms (or was it miles) less than Burnely. I understand that this was partly because we had the ball a lot more than them, but also because we didn't let our full backs get forward enough to support attacks. Also because Fer was playing central and not getting anywhere near the ball or opposition when we didn't have it. Nobody was sprinting over, Leon style, to support a full back or winger who was lacking options in front of him. Not triangles, no options and no runners.

Clucas gets a lot of stick but it looked like he was the only defensive midfielder yesterday and he was in our top 3 players in terms of distance covered. Rentato Sanches was no.1, I believe, which showed he got stuck in.

It's such a mess!

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 10:42 - Nov 19 with 1626 views34dfgdf54

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 10:37 - Nov 19 by MoscowJack

Getting rid of Gylfi and Llorente wasn't wrong, but their replacements aren't hitting the ground running and maybe never will. That's why it's gone wrong, as has been said here earlier.

BUT....I'm not sure that PC could get the best out of Messi, Neymar and Suarez, to be honest!

Yesterday we had all the stats in our favour (69% possession, 200+ more passes, etc) except for three - goals scored, shots (on/off target) and a really important one in distance ran.

I can't remember the exact numbers now but we ran 5kms (or was it miles) less than Burnely. I understand that this was partly because we had the ball a lot more than them, but also because we didn't let our full backs get forward enough to support attacks. Also because Fer was playing central and not getting anywhere near the ball or opposition when we didn't have it. Nobody was sprinting over, Leon style, to support a full back or winger who was lacking options in front of him. Not triangles, no options and no runners.

Clucas gets a lot of stick but it looked like he was the only defensive midfielder yesterday and he was in our top 3 players in terms of distance covered. Rentato Sanches was no.1, I believe, which showed he got stuck in.

It's such a mess!

I refuse to give up on Clucas.

Like I’ve said several times, Clement’s a good coach. He coached a shape into us last year and got us organised for the run in. Llorente and Siggys goals and set pieces put the points on the board though, we were never fluent in our forward play.

This seasons Clement needed to manage new players, big characters etc and has failed miserably. He’s an assistant, never a manager and never will be.
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 11:09 - Nov 19 with 1597 viewsMoscowJack

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 10:42 - Nov 19 by 34dfgdf54

I refuse to give up on Clucas.

Like I’ve said several times, Clement’s a good coach. He coached a shape into us last year and got us organised for the run in. Llorente and Siggys goals and set pieces put the points on the board though, we were never fluent in our forward play.

This seasons Clement needed to manage new players, big characters etc and has failed miserably. He’s an assistant, never a manager and never will be.

Totally agree!

He sees problems and knows how to rectify them, as a No.2 would do.

The problem is that when he's picking the team and strategy, he's not a No.1 and makes too many mistakes.

Last season he saw we needed to stop shipping goals and did that well. We had two one-trick ponies who thankfully got us enough goals to stay up, but it painted over the cracks....PC doesn't know how to create an offensive team.

This season he had a bit of a blank canvas, and wasn't helped by lack of signings and balance to the squad, but I can't see where he's creating any attacking partnerships. There's no Dyer/Rangel type of partnership developing. No Bony/Siggy relationships. There's nothing gelling and that's down to coaching, line-ups and the instructions from the manager.

It's sad to see PC fail as I thought he was the real deal - in reality he's just a decent defensive coach.

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 11:42 - Nov 19 with 1575 viewsharryhpalmer

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 11:09 - Nov 19 by MoscowJack

Totally agree!

He sees problems and knows how to rectify them, as a No.2 would do.

The problem is that when he's picking the team and strategy, he's not a No.1 and makes too many mistakes.

Last season he saw we needed to stop shipping goals and did that well. We had two one-trick ponies who thankfully got us enough goals to stay up, but it painted over the cracks....PC doesn't know how to create an offensive team.

This season he had a bit of a blank canvas, and wasn't helped by lack of signings and balance to the squad, but I can't see where he's creating any attacking partnerships. There's no Dyer/Rangel type of partnership developing. No Bony/Siggy relationships. There's nothing gelling and that's down to coaching, line-ups and the instructions from the manager.

It's sad to see PC fail as I thought he was the real deal - in reality he's just a decent defensive coach.

is he creating any partnerships?

He chanced on one last season, having ignored it last year through the bad trot. Injury to Jack Cork, meaning Leon came back into the team vs Stoke - one he did reluctantly despite the fans chanting for that change at Watford.

And then Fer being subbed for Ki after 20 minutes in the same game, and he had 3 midfielders who complemented each other, and could play the passing game.

We then started all of the remaining games bar the final WBA match with that trio, winning 4 and drawing the other at United.

It's all about partnerships across the pitch, and Clement is blind or just too f'king stubborn to go back to what works, or playing personnel in their natural positions.

Ki right. Caroll or Clucas left. Mesa, Leon or even Caroll holding.

He's more about playing his favourites come what may - match fit or not. often then picking players out of position.

Poll: Who do you want as next Manager?

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 11:50 - Nov 19 with 1563 viewsBobby_Fischer

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 07:50 - Nov 19 by giantstoneater

I`m sure PC, in his earlier days, said that he wanted us to get back to the passing style of old we just haven't got the squad for it and people have lost patience with PC for continuing to play Clucas and refusing to give Mesa a chance. Mesa could be as bad as Clucas but deserves a chance to prove otherwise. Last season Olly was our 3rd choice striker, laughable for a side in the top division things eased a bit by bringing in Ayeuw but he can`t play down the middle and as for this season we started the season with a 19 year old and a player who has hardly kicked a ball in two years and Ayeuw, who still cant play down the middle and after Tammy`s injury Olly is now our second choice striker if selling Siggy was a big mistake then letting Llorente go was an even bigger one.

He's never been the type of manager to play that style in my opinion - but hes definitely capable of better than hes showing right now.

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 23:54 - Nov 19 with 1446 viewsKerouac

Clement was done over in the transfer window. He should have had Santiago Arias and he should have had an attacking midfielder brought in if he was to make his 3-5-2 to work.
Disappointing that he has parked Mesa and not found a system that enables us to compete yet though.
I have to reluctantly agree that if Clement persists with the status quo when it is obviously not working he should go.

I think (with what we have available now and after what has transpired) that this system might work better at the mo;

---------------------- Fabianski ----------------------
--------- Fernandez -------- Mawson ------------
Naughton ---------------------------------- Olsson
---------------- Mesa ------ Carroll ----------------
----- Sanches -------------------------- Clucas ----
------------------------- Fer --------------------------
------------------------ Bony -------------------------

Without the ball we revert to Clement's compact 4-5-1 of last year and use the target man as the outball to help develop counter attacks.
With the ball we look to develop the play down the left (Olsson, Carroll & Clucas should be able to develop a good understanding and work attacking positions and crosses) and Sanches should be joining Fer in getting in and around Bony.
You will note that I have picked 2 centre-mids who can actually pass the thing...always a good idea in my experience.

The aim would be to stay at least level until the hour mark before bringing Tammy off the bench...complimented by 2 from: Ayew, Narsingh, Dyer, Ki, Routs depending on what the game needs....and pushing for a winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 13:04 - Nov 21 with 1332 viewsSPboy

For anyone struggling to work out the answer to the original question we need to score another 33 goals to have scored twice as many at Christmas as last season. Going in to the Boxing Day match v West Ham our record was;

P17 W3 D3 L11 F20 A37 Pts12

Position 19th above Hull on goal difference

Will we even get close to last season’s 20 goals at Christmas? That’s 13 goals in 7 games required ...
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 13:19 - Nov 21 with 1315 viewsjack247

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 13:04 - Nov 21 by SPboy

For anyone struggling to work out the answer to the original question we need to score another 33 goals to have scored twice as many at Christmas as last season. Going in to the Boxing Day match v West Ham our record was;

Will we even get close to last season’s 20 goals at Christmas? That’s 13 goals in 7 games required ...

I’m more interested in the points to be honest. We currently have 4 less than we did Christmas time last season.

We don’t even look like matching that under Clement, but I’d be confident of 15/16 by Christmas and a fighting chance in the second half of the season if we brought the right manager in and brought him in quick.
Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 13:37 - Nov 21 with 1290 viewsmagicdaps10

Christmas is coming, The Res has got it wrong on 13:04 - Nov 21 by SPboy

So we have played 12 games thus far and have 5 games to get another 4 points JUST to be on a par with last season.

We need 13 goals in those 5 games to equal last seasons tally...................we wont even have 13 shots on target in our next 5 games!!!!!

Defensively we have not been great lately but i feel we have enough here, the pressure the back four are under given the fact that we dont score, must be incredible.

Midfield is a joke at present. Clucas is like a fish out of water and for me needs to used out on the left wing.......his natural and preferred position.
Mesa needs to play and for me i would play Ki alongside him, Sanches need to play in the no 10 role until we can get someone in.
We are struggling to score but lets be fair here........the service is bloody disgraceful from our midfield.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024