Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Technical credit card question 11:27 - Jan 5 with 5132 viewsPegojack

I'm always amazed by the breadth of knowledge on this website, so I'm going to fire out a question regarding a credit card situation I've got and hoping there's an industry expert on here who can answer it.

I was scammed by an Italian care hire company on a recent holiday. They have charged my credit card for repairs for damage that didn't exist when I returned the car.

I won't go into that long saga, but the basic facts are these. During the initial car pick up at the airport desk, they asked me to take out their overpriced excess insurance. When I declined, they asked if I had a private insurance policy which covered damage. I said I did.

They then did the usual thing of blocking out an amount on my credit card to cover damage, I think it was around 1100 Euros.

When I took the car back, they said there was damage caused by me, I disputed it, I was told it would be up to manager if it was taken further.

A couple of weeks later, a charge for £488 appeared on my credit card for this supposed damage repair. On my statement, there was no sign of the blocked out amount. I don't know what blocking out actually means in terms of the amount actually appearing on your account. Does it get put on, then taken off, so it doesn't show on the next statement?

My question for the experts is this. When I was told at the car return that they were likely going to 'stiff' me for a charge which was fraudulent, a thought crossed my mind to report my credit card lost/stolen abroad as soon as I landed back in the UK. Would that have prevented the feckin thieving bar stewards putting the charge against me two weeks later? Or does the 'blocking out' somehow give them the ability to make a retrospective charge against your credit card?

Sorry for the technical nature of this enquiry, but I want to know in case the same thing happens again!
Technical credit card question on 12:40 - Jan 5 with 4077 viewsBrynCartwright

I used to sell debit/credit card machines and payment processing services for Payzone, though my knowledge of payment reservation is quite limited as it is only used by a very limited business types, the hotel industry being the most common where an amount is reserved to cover a room say in the event of a no show.

In terms of whether you reporting the card lost or stolen would allow the Italian company to process a transaction, then I would say they could not have debited your account as the account would have been frozen. It would not prevent them attempting to do so course when a new card would have been issued to you.

Did you not asses the car prior to using it with one of their employees and signed a form detailing any pre-existing damage? Surely that is the standard procedure? Sorry if this sounds flippant. Appealing through small claims court may not be worthwhile for the amount they have charged you but Trading Standards may be a course of action.

Mucho hassle. Pisser!

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Technical credit card question on 12:47 - Jan 5 with 4065 viewsPegojack

Hi Bryn, yes, I did do a pre inspection and sign a form. I actually pointed out three marks which I made them put on the form, which I guess only angered them more.

The problem here is we are talking about a scammer. They have form; there are reports by other people on Trip Advisor which warn against using them for the same reason.

The woman who did the check when we brought the car back got down on her hands and knees to do a visual inspection and went over the car with a fine tooth comb. It was obvious she had an 'agenda' to find anything. She found a 1mm paint chip on the rear bumper and a scratch on the wing so faint that you could hardly see it with the naked eye. These were clearly pre-existing, but she was on a mission to find anything.

What winds me up even more is that I took photos of these so called marks, then when they submitted their photos to my insurance company, they had clearly doctored the mark on the wing into a gouge which was clearly visible. The insurance company agree with me that its a scam. Problem is, the credit card company is dragging their feet investigating, even though I've given them chapter and verse.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 9:43]
Technical credit card question on 12:53 - Jan 5 with 4048 viewsjack247

As far as I understand it, the £1100 was set aside at the date you signed for the car. Reporting your card lost after that would not stop them claiming up to that amount, because, in principle at least, it was agreed while the card was in your possession.

Sounds like you have been completely tucked up here, but if it was possible to do what you are suggesting, anyone who actually did crash a car could just report their card lost to avoid paying for the damage. This would apply to anything you had to pay an unclaimed ‘deposit’ on (hotel rooms etc).

Best bet may be to ask for the document you signed for the condition of the car when picking it up and evidence of what damage they claim occurred between then and you returning it.
Technical credit card question on 13:03 - Jan 5 with 4027 viewsBobby_Fischer

Credit card companies take ages to investigate fraud, someone bought a bloody car on my mothers credit card and it took them over a year to sort it out.

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Technical credit card question on 13:06 - Jan 5 with 4019 viewsPegojack

Technical credit card question on 12:53 - Jan 5 by jack247

As far as I understand it, the £1100 was set aside at the date you signed for the car. Reporting your card lost after that would not stop them claiming up to that amount, because, in principle at least, it was agreed while the card was in your possession.

Sounds like you have been completely tucked up here, but if it was possible to do what you are suggesting, anyone who actually did crash a car could just report their card lost to avoid paying for the damage. This would apply to anything you had to pay an unclaimed ‘deposit’ on (hotel rooms etc).

Best bet may be to ask for the document you signed for the condition of the car when picking it up and evidence of what damage they claim occurred between then and you returning it.

Yes, mate, I guess you're right. It was just a thought.

Anyway, I've reported them to everyone I can think of and posted their details (Autovia, Ecovia) all over the Internet, so hopefully less people will get caught by them in future.
Technical credit card question on 13:07 - Jan 5 with 4018 viewstrampie

I feel for you Hereford.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Technical credit card question on 13:14 - Jan 5 with 4003 viewsjack247

Technical credit card question on 13:06 - Jan 5 by Pegojack

Yes, mate, I guess you're right. It was just a thought.

Anyway, I've reported them to everyone I can think of and posted their details (Autovia, Ecovia) all over the Internet, so hopefully less people will get caught by them in future.

That’s not a bad shout, detailed complaints on their Facebook/Twitter accounts may help, if they have English versions
Technical credit card question on 13:16 - Jan 5 with 3999 viewsPegojack

Technical credit card question on 13:07 - Jan 5 by trampie

I feel for you Hereford.

It's all right, mate, the insurance policy I took out should cover it (fingers crossed!).

Tip for anyone hiring a car on holiday - take out your own private excess insurance policy in the UK before you go. Check out Martin Lewis Moneysavingexpert site for details. It's well worth it, only costs around £10.
Login to get fewer ads

Technical credit card question on 18:15 - Jan 5 with 3854 viewsWarwickHunt

Technical credit card question on 13:16 - Jan 5 by Pegojack

It's all right, mate, the insurance policy I took out should cover it (fingers crossed!).

Tip for anyone hiring a car on holiday - take out your own private excess insurance policy in the UK before you go. Check out Martin Lewis Moneysavingexpert site for details. It's well worth it, only costs around £10.

Yep, definitely. Make sure the driver has the credit card it was hired on too or you'll need to pay for another named driver.

I always use Hertz in Italy, not much (if any) price difference if you book well in advance and you won't get scammed.
Technical credit card question on 18:18 - Jan 5 with 3845 viewsnantywatcher

Technical credit card question on 13:16 - Jan 5 by Pegojack

I found Barclaycard to be very good when I had a similar complaint - it took a couple of months but they got my money back for me.
Technical credit card question on 18:39 - Jan 5 with 3821 viewsmax936

Sorry to here that Mike, but I thought Credit Cards had a fraud protection policy on them, to stop people getting ripped off ?

Speaking for myself the last thing I want to do on Hols abroad is drive, just the thought horrifies me to be honest, that said we have beach based holidays.
We did hire a car in Jersey once

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Technical credit card question on 19:04 - Jan 5 with 3797 viewsBrynCartwright

Technical credit card question on 12:47 - Jan 5 by Pegojack

Hi Bryn, yes, I did do a pre inspection and sign a form. I actually pointed out three marks which I made them put on the form, which I guess only angered them more.

The problem here is we are talking about a scammer. They have form; there are reports by other people on Trip Advisor which warn against using them for the same reason.

The woman who did the check when we brought the car back got down on her hands and knees to do a visual inspection and went over the car with a fine tooth comb. It was obvious she had an 'agenda' to find anything. She found a 1mm paint chip on the rear bumper and a scratch on the wing so faint that you could hardly see it with the naked eye. These were clearly pre-existing, but she was on a mission to find anything.

What winds me up even more is that I took photos of these so called marks, then when they submitted their photos to my insurance company, they had clearly doctored the mark on the wing into a gouge which was clearly visible. The insurance company agree with me that its a scam. Problem is, the credit card company is dragging their feet investigating, even though I've given them chapter and verse.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2018 9:43]

I suppose you have given them a really adverse review on Trip Advisor?

Worth getting in touch with Watchdog, Rogue Traders, Claimed and Shamed etc. over?

Technical credit card question on 19:11 - Jan 5 with 3781 viewsDarran

Technical credit card question on 18:39 - Jan 5 by max936

Sorry to here that Mike, but I thought Credit Cards had a fraud protection policy on them, to stop people getting ripped off ?

Speaking for myself the last thing I want to do on Hols abroad is drive, just the thought horrifies me to be honest, that said we have beach based holidays.

You wouldn’t be able to drink if you had a car on holidays.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Technical credit card question on 19:20 - Jan 5 with 3772 viewsmax936

Technical credit card question on 19:11 - Jan 5 by Darran

You wouldn’t be able to drink if you had a car on holidays.

I've ridden Motorbikes Bikes abroad so work that one out, I'll give you till Tuesday to try.

Technical credit card question on 19:23 - Jan 5 with 3763 viewsDarran

Technical credit card question on 19:20 - Jan 5 by max936

I've ridden Motorbikes Bikes abroad so work that one out, I'll give you till Tuesday to try.

You wasn’t a dipso in those days?

Technical credit card question on 20:20 - Jan 5 with 3726 viewsdickythorpe

You seem quite a switched on person Hereford so I think you'll get a result. Best of luck.
Technical credit card question on 20:23 - Jan 5 with 3716 viewsDarran

Technical credit card question on 20:20 - Jan 5 by dickythorpe

You seem quite a switched on person Hereford so I think you'll get a result. Best of luck.

Most Baglan boys are. 👀

Technical credit card question on 21:53 - Jan 5 with 3678 viewsmax936

Technical credit card question on 20:23 - Jan 5 by Darran

Most Baglan boys are. 👀

You did say most.

Technical credit card question on 22:33 - Jan 5 with 3642 viewsthevetch

been in the same situation myself, and after trawling through the net i found that there is a regulated authority for the car hire industry.europcar are the worst for this sort of thing,i contacted them and had money refunded in a week barclaycard never even replied,i had a look for link but deleted it.
Technical credit card question on 22:43 - Jan 5 with 3632 viewsthevetch

https://www.bvrla.co.uk/content/contact-us
Technical credit card question on 02:13 - Jan 6 with 3568 viewsLoyal

Technical credit card question on 13:03 - Jan 5 by Bobby_Fischer

Credit card companies take ages to investigate fraud, someone bought a bloody car on my mothers credit card and it took them over a year to sort it out.

What type of car was it ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Technical credit card question on 09:19 - Jan 6 with 3523 viewsPegojack

Technical credit card question on 22:43 - Jan 5 by thevetch

https://www.bvrla.co.uk/content/contact-us

Thanks mate, but I don't think a British trade body will have any sway with this bunch of Italian criminals.
Technical credit card question on 09:22 - Jan 6 with 3521 viewsPegojack

Technical credit card question on 18:39 - Jan 5 by max936

Well Max, I'm still hoping my credit card company are going to come up trumps. I've given them all the details and they say they are investigating it, although they are dragging their feet. In fact, I lodged a complaint with them yesterday because although I'd written with all the details on Nov. 25th, they told me they'd only contacted the car hire company with a request to respond on Dec 29th!
Technical credit card question on 09:32 - Jan 6 with 3513 viewsBrynCartwright

Technical credit card question on 09:19 - Jan 6 by Pegojack

Thanks mate, but I don't think a British trade body will have any sway with this bunch of Italian criminals.

What was the name of the company?...

Mafiavis?

Technical credit card question on 09:33 - Jan 6 with 3512 viewsBrynCartwright

Interesting article about your problem H

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/car-hire-scandal-when-will-rental-compa

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024