Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anfield and Atmosphere 09:13 - Apr 5 with 2581 viewswestwalesed

I hear a lot from pundits about how "special" the atmosphere is on European nights at Anfield. Having never been there, does it feel like a different stadium to the run of the mill? I've been to Celtic Park on a European night (I used to live in Scotland for almost a decade) and it was spine tingling.

Are we starting to see evidence for why it's better to redevelop your existing stadium, rather than move? Fans and pundits constantly bemoan the lack of atmosphere at new grounds and there is no doubt that extra 1% from the fans can help the players.

Random OP I know not very well thought through but it's been in my head on the way to work this morning! Discuss.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Anfield and Atmosphere on 09:37 - Apr 5 with 2536 viewsSTID2017

Can't speak from personal experience, nevef been there, but Anfield always seems a bit special on night matches when it's a big occassion.
Personally I wish we'd had the scope to redevelop the Vetch, rrather than moving to the Liberty.
The views from all seats in the Liberty is great and when it is bouncing it is great, but it doesn't happen often enough.
People blame the lack of atmosphere on fans who have tagged along for the PL ride, but I don't buy it.
Quite a few times our crowd increased rapidly (Bolton home League Cup in the '70's, when Tosh came, a few of the games when we were looking to stay in the league or making a push for promotion under Flynn and Jackett). The atmosphere was improved by the casual supporters, not watered down.
Our new stadium is too sterile. I have also come around to safe standing areas in the home and away sections to generate a better atmosphere, especially in these sterile bowls.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Anfield and Atmosphere on 10:52 - Apr 5 with 2460 viewsJBT95

Went there when we lost 4-3 in February 2014, the year they nearly won the league.

We are not a big game for them, and it was a Sunday 1.30pm match, but the atmosphere was non-existent.
Anfield and Atmosphere on 13:12 - Apr 5 with 2375 viewsPhil_S

Anfield and Atmosphere on 09:37 - Apr 5 by STID2017

Can't speak from personal experience, nevef been there, but Anfield always seems a bit special on night matches when it's a big occassion.
Personally I wish we'd had the scope to redevelop the Vetch, rrather than moving to the Liberty.
The views from all seats in the Liberty is great and when it is bouncing it is great, but it doesn't happen often enough.
People blame the lack of atmosphere on fans who have tagged along for the PL ride, but I don't buy it.
Quite a few times our crowd increased rapidly (Bolton home League Cup in the '70's, when Tosh came, a few of the games when we were looking to stay in the league or making a push for promotion under Flynn and Jackett). The atmosphere was improved by the casual supporters, not watered down.
Our new stadium is too sterile. I have also come around to safe standing areas in the home and away sections to generate a better atmosphere, especially in these sterile bowls.

The atmosphere at Anfield is no different to most modern day football grounds

When the team is winning and playing well then it's good, when the team is not winning and/or not playing well its relatively quiet

Much like the media laud up fans of some other clubs (Newcastle and West Ham always spring to mind) it really isn't any different
Anfield and Atmosphere on 13:18 - Apr 5 with 2359 viewsLoyal

When certain folk were dissing our atmosphere at the liberty visiting fans were voting it as the best.
Can't win.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Anfield and Atmosphere on 17:52 - Apr 5 with 2159 viewsAguycalledJack

Every time I’ve been to Anfield in the premiere league the atmosphere been crap.

However pre premiere league and in the fa cup, a few pitch invaders and a certain penalty taker with hell of a side step made things a bit lively.
Anfield and Atmosphere on 17:59 - Apr 5 with 2148 viewssherpajacob

Anfield and Atmosphere on 13:18 - Apr 5 by Loyal

When certain folk were dissing our atmosphere at the liberty visiting fans were voting it as the best.
Can't win.

could that be due to the fact we give them a good position behind the goal, as opposed to sticking them at the back in a corner.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Anfield and Atmosphere on 18:09 - Apr 5 with 2130 viewsOldjack

When we play important games against certain teams our atmos can be superb, as with any club in any ground ,it all depends what's riding on the game

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Anfield and Atmosphere on 18:14 - Apr 5 with 2126 viewsbuilthjack

Besides the Mersey song at the start, and the walk alone song at the end they have been quiet for the other 88 minutes unless they are winning, whenever I have been there.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Login to get fewer ads

Anfield and Atmosphere on 20:00 - Apr 5 with 2048 viewsKennedy

The first Cardiff game (cup) at the Liberty and the Forest semi final game were excellent. It helps that they were both evening kick offs and alot riding on them.

Even the Leeds game (first year in the Championship) was right up there. Even though this was a 3pm kick off it got dark around 4 ish so must be the lights that do it.

Just call me JFK

Anfield and Atmosphere on 21:16 - Apr 5 with 1986 viewsmonmouth

Anfield and Atmosphere on 20:00 - Apr 5 by Kennedy

The first Cardiff game (cup) at the Liberty and the Forest semi final game were excellent. It helps that they were both evening kick offs and alot riding on them.

Even the Leeds game (first year in the Championship) was right up there. Even though this was a 3pm kick off it got dark around 4 ish so must be the lights that do it.

Leeds in league 1 was better than Leeds in the champ. Cardiff in PL was a night and all. Best Forest in play offs by a mile. Forest in the Champ and Norwich were good too.

Ah we’ve had some grand days.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Anfield and Atmosphere on 12:40 - Apr 6 with 1813 viewsSwanno

Anfield and Atmosphere on 10:52 - Apr 5 by JBT95

Went there when we lost 4-3 in February 2014, the year they nearly won the league.

We are not a big game for them, and it was a Sunday 1.30pm match, but the atmosphere was non-existent.

I was at the same game and was my first trip to Anfield and I felt exactly the same. Was rather disappointed after hearing of the 'legendary' Anfield atmosphere for so many years. Was like a library the majority of the game and we outsang the home support for 90 mins. Only heard a peep from them when they scored.
Anfield and Atmosphere on 17:42 - Apr 6 with 1708 viewstrampie

Ed seems to like living in the Celtic countries.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Anfield and Atmosphere on 18:24 - Apr 6 with 1658 viewsmarchamjack

Let's not be silly about this.

For run of the mill games against the likes of us, it's nothing special there the times I've been.

But when you watch the big European games, like Wednesday, there isn't another ground comes close to it (ok, I've never been to Celtic which on European nights seems good too). The flags (we haven't had a good flag thread on here for while...), the banners, you don't see those anywhere else. The pretty much constant singing across the ground. Even on Wednesday they kept up the whistling when City had the ball for long periods, in a very European fashion. Nowhere else does all that. Not close.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Anfield and Atmosphere on 18:41 - Apr 6 with 1638 viewsBirchgrovejack

Anfield and Atmosphere on 18:24 - Apr 6 by marchamjack

Let's not be silly about this.

For run of the mill games against the likes of us, it's nothing special there the times I've been.

But when you watch the big European games, like Wednesday, there isn't another ground comes close to it (ok, I've never been to Celtic which on European nights seems good too). The flags (we haven't had a good flag thread on here for while...), the banners, you don't see those anywhere else. The pretty much constant singing across the ground. Even on Wednesday they kept up the whistling when City had the ball for long periods, in a very European fashion. Nowhere else does all that. Not close.

With regards to the Liberty and not having a great atmosphere i think its down to not being able to sit where you like. So you may want to be signing and cheering but you cant get anywhere near the singing and chanting end of the ground when you buy a ticket or like in my case my season ticket is no where near that end. so you end up not making a noise. where as there is people who want to sit by the noise but not make any
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024