Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Impressions of Swansea 11:10 - Jun 2 with 3531 viewssnork44

I have just been back to Swansea after being away for five years. Let's start with the bad, the Kingsway is a hot mess, when we left it had been converted for the bendy bus and after a couple of deaths it is being changed again, well what a waste of money, good grief it wouldn't have taken the foresight of Nostradamus to have predicted the problems that system would have caused. Secondly the amount of people begging and sleeping on the pavement. The good, well the people are still the salt of earth and atmosphere of the city is of a modern confident metropolis. When we left the city, we felt sad that we were leaving a place that we used to call home and also still Swansea is still a city led by incompetent idiots in the council and not by visionary leaders.

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Impressions of Swansea on 12:05 - Jun 2 with 3444 viewsdickythorpe

Unfortunately we can have all the vision and plans in life, but it has to be funded. That is then where the problems start.
As I've got older it's the small villages of gower I feel closest to.
But for the youngsters they love wind st and we have more quality eateries than ever.
Would love to see sa1 and.marina thrive and look the part. At the moment it still is a work in progress and needs.a."cat's lick"
Impressions of Swansea on 12:52 - Jun 2 with 3374 viewsBadlands

Swansea will reclaim the status it had in the 60s. Forgotten town on the edge of Britain.
After Brexit we will once again be at the mercy of the Tories in Westminster and basically told to sod off. There will be no where to go to gain funding for projects.
I know many didn't want the barrage but I feel it would have got funding if it had been proposed for Cardiff or anywhere in England.
Stopping the electrification of the Paddington rail service at Cardiff will also adversely affect the region.
And, if Trump's tantrum over steel lasts more than a couple of weeks another 40,000 could be without work.
I don't often go into town but was there last Saturday and the centre was one step from having tumble weed blowing down the middle of the road.
It really saddens me.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Impressions of Swansea on 14:04 - Jun 2 with 3293 viewswestside

Every city has beggars and people sleeping rough
Impressions of Swansea on 14:06 - Jun 2 with 3288 viewswestside

Impressions of Swansea on 12:05 - Jun 2 by dickythorpe

Unfortunately we can have all the vision and plans in life, but it has to be funded. That is then where the problems start.
As I've got older it's the small villages of gower I feel closest to.
But for the youngsters they love wind st and we have more quality eateries than ever.
Would love to see sa1 and.marina thrive and look the part. At the moment it still is a work in progress and needs.a."cat's lick"

WAG haven't got the lock gates built for a new marina in SA1 because they say it's not a priority yet everything in Cardiff is a priority
Impressions of Swansea on 14:07 - Jun 2 with 3284 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Impressions of Swansea on 14:04 - Jun 2 by westside

Very true.

I was in Copenhagen and Stockholm in March and was surprised at the number of people sleeping rough in both cities.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Impressions of Swansea on 15:23 - Jun 2 with 3148 viewsGeoffThom

Impressions of Swansea on 12:52 - Jun 2 by Badlands

Swansea will reclaim the status it had in the 60s. Forgotten town on the edge of Britain.
After Brexit we will once again be at the mercy of the Tories in Westminster and basically told to sod off. There will be no where to go to gain funding for projects.
I know many didn't want the barrage but I feel it would have got funding if it had been proposed for Cardiff or anywhere in England.
Stopping the electrification of the Paddington rail service at Cardiff will also adversely affect the region.
And, if Trump's tantrum over steel lasts more than a couple of weeks another 40,000 could be without work.
I don't often go into town but was there last Saturday and the centre was one step from having tumble weed blowing down the middle of the road.
It really saddens me.

You can blame every political party for the demise of swansea. They were all complicit in the wda funding of Cardiff to the detriment of swansea 😠
[Post edited 2 Jun 2018 16:24]
Impressions of Swansea on 15:58 - Jun 2 with 3087 viewsmoonie

What needs to happen is for people to accomplish that the lovely Gower is no compensation for the destruction of the city of Swansea.

Anyone can look en to the late sixties when traffic and pedestrians mixed in the central streets and the place fizzed with life . To see the Kingsway dug up as it is just depresses.

Traffic seems impossible in some areas certainly not easy to get about quickly which is important on cities .

This is a regular theme and exiles retraining to the city after many years are shocked at its state .

A sunrise over Kilvey Hill last week at 4 am was very evocative for me; the good bad and ugly of Swansea surveyed in 270 degree angle showing former industrial areas, far away hills ,coastline and the rickety ramshackle loveliness of the houses on the hills of Swansea . What was lost should in some way be compensated for and its not been the case.
Impressions of Swansea on 16:51 - Jun 2 with 2986 viewsGowerjack

Impressions of Swansea on 15:58 - Jun 2 by moonie

What needs to happen is for people to accomplish that the lovely Gower is no compensation for the destruction of the city of Swansea.

Anyone can look en to the late sixties when traffic and pedestrians mixed in the central streets and the place fizzed with life . To see the Kingsway dug up as it is just depresses.

Traffic seems impossible in some areas certainly not easy to get about quickly which is important on cities .

This is a regular theme and exiles retraining to the city after many years are shocked at its state .

A sunrise over Kilvey Hill last week at 4 am was very evocative for me; the good bad and ugly of Swansea surveyed in 270 degree angle showing former industrial areas, far away hills ,coastline and the rickety ramshackle loveliness of the houses on the hills of Swansea . What was lost should in some way be compensated for and its not been the case.

Well said Richard.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Login to get fewer ads

Impressions of Swansea on 17:14 - Jun 2 with 2936 viewsJackfath

Impressions of Swansea on 15:58 - Jun 2 by moonie

To compare traffic from the late 60s to 2018, some 60 years later is a nonsense.

As Dara O Briain said, "Nostalgia is heroin for old people".

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Impressions of Swansea on 17:21 - Jun 2 with 2918 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

My father said that the last organisation with a clear plan for Swansea was the Luftwaffe.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Impressions of Swansea on 17:34 - Jun 2 with 2888 viewsBadlands

Impressions of Swansea on 14:07 - Jun 2 by Joe_bradshaw

Very true.

I was in Copenhagen and Stockholm in March and was surprised at the number of people sleeping rough in both cities.

Rome is and always has been the worst in my experience.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Impressions of Swansea on 17:42 - Jun 2 with 2866 viewsjackharris

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Impressions of Swansea on 17:51 - Jun 2 with 2847 viewsDJack

Impressions of Swansea on 14:04 - Jun 2 by westside

Yep, stayed up in Manchester for the MU game and there were dozens of them.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Impressions of Swansea on 17:53 - Jun 2 with 2839 viewsexhmrc1

Impressions of Swansea on 17:14 - Jun 2 by Jackfath

To compare traffic from the late 60s to 2018, some 60 years later is a nonsense.

As Dara O Briain said, "Nostalgia is heroin for old people".

Absolutely there has been a huge increase in the use of cars since Moonie's time here. Most, I would suspect all, cities have problem with traffic. Cardiff and Bath certainly do and it is worse than Swansea. I worked in Birmingham city centre over 15 years ago. Of the 17 people working in the office only 1 came in by car and she had a disabled parking space. The rest used public transport due to huge cost of and difficulty parking there.
Impressions of Swansea on 18:12 - Jun 2 with 2804 viewsJackfath

Impressions of Swansea on 17:53 - Jun 2 by exhmrc1

Absolutely there has been a huge increase in the use of cars since Moonie's time here. Most, I would suspect all, cities have problem with traffic. Cardiff and Bath certainly do and it is worse than Swansea. I worked in Birmingham city centre over 15 years ago. Of the 17 people working in the office only 1 came in by car and she had a disabled parking space. The rest used public transport due to huge cost of and difficulty parking there.

Of course they do, but it doesn't fit his agenda.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Impressions of Swansea on 18:12 - Jun 2 with 2801 viewsmoonie

Yes but traffic in many large cities has not been banned as much as Swansea .

Manchester s main thoroughfare has traffic and it's main department stores juxtaposed as it were so please ,no more folkn excuses eh.

Give it a rest
Impressions of Swansea on 18:14 - Jun 2 with 2795 viewsJackfath

Impressions of Swansea on 18:12 - Jun 2 by moonie

Yes but traffic in many large cities has not been banned as much as Swansea .

Manchester s main thoroughfare has traffic and it's main department stores juxtaposed as it were so please ,no more folkn excuses eh.

Give it a rest

Manchester and Swansea are worlds apart in terms of size.

Impressions of Swansea on 18:29 - Jun 2 with 2758 viewsexiledclaseboy

It’s pretty easy to park in the city centre isn’t it?

Poll: Tory leader

Impressions of Swansea on 18:32 - Jun 2 with 2742 viewsJackfath

Impressions of Swansea on 18:29 - Jun 2 by exiledclaseboy

It’s pretty easy to park in the city centre isn’t it?

Very.

Impressions of Swansea on 18:37 - Jun 2 with 2731 viewsjack2jack

One of the biggest mistakes was closing Princess Way to traffic.imho
Impressions of Swansea on 18:37 - Jun 2 with 2726 viewsexiledclaseboy

Impressions of Swansea on 18:32 - Jun 2 by Jackfath

Very.

Thought so. Got confused for a sec there.

Poll: Tory leader

Impressions of Swansea on 18:46 - Jun 2 with 2695 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Parking spaces are not a problem in Swansea city centre. There’s loads of them. The lack of anything worth parking for is the problem.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Impressions of Swansea on 19:19 - Jun 2 with 2640 viewsbonymine

Impressions of Swansea on 18:46 - Jun 2 by Joe_bradshaw

Parking spaces are not a problem in Swansea city centre. There’s loads of them. The lack of anything worth parking for is the problem.

In a nutshell Alan 👍

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024