Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE 18:07 - Aug 16 with 2923 viewstheloneranger

Message from Facebook

PLEASE SHARE OUR GOOD NEWS !!

We are happy and proud to announce that after meeting with the Leader of the Council , Rob Stewart , he has decided to give full political endorsement to our project and has instructed the Economic Development Team at the council to start work on the task of delivering a new replica span for the bridge with immediate effect .

It has long been accepted that one of the greatest assets of the city , our beautiful bay , is under facilitated and therefore underused . It's now time to bring people back to the bay by offering a selection of cafes , bars , restaurants etc . A number of sites have been identified as prime candidates for redevelopment and The Slip is one obvious area that was always a destination for the people of Swansea .

Bringing the bridge back into use will enable an expansion of facilities....a cafe / restaurant , toilets ,parking, perhaps a Visitor or Heritage Centre to celebrate the worlds first passenger railway ,The Mumbles Train, a claim to fame that is barely recognised or celebrated in the city today .

All this will follow , but the first task is replacing the span and restoring the bridge to its former glory, not just as a bridge, but as a much loved and iconic heritage structure , a reminder of our proud industrial past that will stand alongside our exciting new future that is taking shape right now.

One last point......no new public money is being sought for this project . It will be financed from external funding sourced by the Economic Development Team who already have a fantastic track record of delivering on many heritage projects in the city such as Hafod Morfa Copperworks and White Rock . Ongoing maintenance costs for the Slip Bridge , which will be minimal, are to be met from the profits of any commercial enterprise.

We will of course be working alongside the council on this project and will be posting updates to keep you up to speed with progress . Please bear with us , it won't be happening overnight , but it will be happening !!!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 20:25 - Aug 16 with 1068 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 20:17 - Aug 16 by jack2jack

Not party to that info tbh, I'm sure JF will have a word, in order to keep cost to a minimum.👍

JACKFATH! How much are the pasties?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 20:32 - Aug 16 with 1056 viewsJackfath

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 20:25 - Aug 16 by JACKMANANDBOY

JACKFATH! How much are the pasties?

£2.99

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 20:34 - Aug 16 with 1052 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 20:32 - Aug 16 by Jackfath

£2.99

It's all coming together nicely, what could possibly go wrong.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 20:40 - Aug 16 with 1047 viewsJackfath

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 20:34 - Aug 16 by JACKMANANDBOY

It's all coming together nicely, what could possibly go wrong.

OldJack pissing in the soup of the day.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 21:56 - Aug 16 with 998 viewsLeonWasGod

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 18:55 - Aug 16 by bermudajack

Great news, now bring the trams back and we’re sorted 👍👍👍

That’s the worse thing about this. The best they can imagine by the sounds of it a visitor centre to reminisce how good the Mumbles railway was.

A bit of vision and the seafront could be so much better. The rest of this is good though as far as it goes. It doesn’t go far enough but it’s a start.
THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 22:30 - Aug 16 with 974 viewsPegojack

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 21:56 - Aug 16 by LeonWasGod

That’s the worse thing about this. The best they can imagine by the sounds of it a visitor centre to reminisce how good the Mumbles railway was.

A bit of vision and the seafront could be so much better. The rest of this is good though as far as it goes. It doesn’t go far enough but it’s a start.

Had to laugh at the comment about the Mumbles tram hardly being acknowledged or celebrated these days.

Perhaps its got something to do with the fact that we're still totally fecked off with the idiots in power who decided to tear it up and destroy what would have been an immense and enormously valuable asset for the city.
THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 00:15 - Aug 17 with 950 viewsomarjack

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 18:14 - Aug 16 by pikeypaul

You really are a sad,sick,fecker babies and children died in Genoa and all you can do is try to be funny.

It tells us all we need to know about your type.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2018 18:17]

You know what Paul. I'm not ashamed to admit when I'm wrong. I sounded like a tw@t, although I didn't intend to. I typed what I typed quickly as I was in a hurry and logged off without much thought. Only to realise later that it kind of sounded as it was intended as some sort of sick humour..I should have elaborated that my reason of mentioning the recent tragedy in Italy was because it brought things into different light to me. That sometimes we take things for granted. Like having proper infrastructure for example. And now hearing about this project, and The lawsuit surrounding the shaky safety in the Liberty made me draw parallels with the Genoa tragedy.

I've crossed Ponte Morandi few times in my life by the way (I lived in Italy for a while back in the day), So believe me when I say my heart sank when I heard about what happened.

So no Paul, I'm not a sick f*cker as you called me. We often clash with completely different political views. But I'm no monster. And I would never belittle such horrible tragedy for a poor attempt at comedy.

Again. I am very regretful. I should have thought better before replying.

Also I'd like to add, I don't have a "type", I'm my own person, And when I make a mistake. It is my own. Don't project my flaws on others who might be better people than me who happen to belong to my "type" of people as you call it.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 0:16]

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 02:58 - Aug 17 with 918 viewsDJack

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 00:15 - Aug 17 by omarjack

You know what Paul. I'm not ashamed to admit when I'm wrong. I sounded like a tw@t, although I didn't intend to. I typed what I typed quickly as I was in a hurry and logged off without much thought. Only to realise later that it kind of sounded as it was intended as some sort of sick humour..I should have elaborated that my reason of mentioning the recent tragedy in Italy was because it brought things into different light to me. That sometimes we take things for granted. Like having proper infrastructure for example. And now hearing about this project, and The lawsuit surrounding the shaky safety in the Liberty made me draw parallels with the Genoa tragedy.

I've crossed Ponte Morandi few times in my life by the way (I lived in Italy for a while back in the day), So believe me when I say my heart sank when I heard about what happened.

So no Paul, I'm not a sick f*cker as you called me. We often clash with completely different political views. But I'm no monster. And I would never belittle such horrible tragedy for a poor attempt at comedy.

Also I'd like to add, I don't have a "type", I'm my own person, And when I make a mistake. It is my own. Don't project my flaws on others who might be better people than me who happen to belong to my "type" of people as you call it.

For your last line I applaud you.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Login to get fewer ads

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 08:43 - Aug 17 with 878 viewspikeypaul

Mocking and making fun of the terrible tragedy that happened in Genoa where there are still 20 missing presumed dead shows you for what you are and your types value on human life.

Any amount of back tracking and crawling and excuse making will never change that and your inital post was disgraceful.

I have only read the first line of your above post but can guess what it says and where it's leading.

No doubt you will have the usual lefties defending your right to mock the dead just like they turn a blind eye to Corbyn laying wreaths on terrorist graves and they will try to put positive spin on your posts but that is expected from the envious,bitter,losers they are.

That's me done on the subject which actually started a very positive one until you brought it down to your types level.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 8:58]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 08:50 - Aug 17 with 871 viewsomarjack

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 08:43 - Aug 17 by pikeypaul

Mocking and making fun of the terrible tragedy that happened in Genoa where there are still 20 missing presumed dead shows you for what you are and your types value on human life.

Any amount of back tracking and crawling and excuse making will never change that and your inital post was disgraceful.

I have only read the first line of your above post but can guess what it says and where it's leading.

No doubt you will have the usual lefties defending your right to mock the dead just like they turn a blind eye to Corbyn laying wreaths on terrorist graves and they will try to put positive spin on your posts but that is expected from the envious,bitter,losers they are.

That's me done on the subject which actually started a very positive one until you brought it down to your types level.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 8:58]

That shows what kind of a racist f*ck you are by the way. Your mind is already made up apparently about me and "my type".

You and few others interpreted something I said as humour. Was it my fault? Yes. Only because I didn't clarify my intent properly. I've messed up.

But from the way you keep going..you should know that two wrongs don't make a right. So you better behave yourself, because I owe you nothing.

As for your regard for human life, I've seen you posting atrocities before so let's just leave it to that.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 8:51]

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 09:09 - Aug 17 with 854 viewsfelixstowe_jack

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 22:30 - Aug 16 by Pegojack

Had to laugh at the comment about the Mumbles tram hardly being acknowledged or celebrated these days.

Perhaps its got something to do with the fact that we're still totally fecked off with the idiots in power who decided to tear it up and destroy what would have been an immense and enormously valuable asset for the city.

That would be the old SWT bus company whose parent company owned the land the Mumbles Railway ran on and leased to SWT. They also manufactured buses which SWT bought to replace the trains.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 09:29 - Aug 17 with 839 viewsjohnlangy

Well said.
THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 09:31 - Aug 17 with 837 viewsjohnlangy

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 09:09 - Aug 17 by felixstowe_jack

That would be the old SWT bus company whose parent company owned the land the Mumbles Railway ran on and leased to SWT. They also manufactured buses which SWT bought to replace the trains.

As far as I remember they, essentially, blackmailed the Council to get rid of the trams in their own interests.
THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 10:19 - Aug 17 with 820 viewstheloneranger

THE RETURN OF SWANSEA SLIP BRIDGE on 09:09 - Aug 17 by felixstowe_jack

"On 10 Feb 1914 The South Wales Transport Company was incorporated as a subsidiary of the British Electric Traction Company Limited (BET). It was formed to operate bus services in Swansea and surrounding towns (Neath, Llanelli, Pontardawe etc) , to complement the electric tram service provided by another BET subsidiary, Swansea Improvements and Tramways Company (SITC). The head office was at Rutland Street, Swansea and the buses were housed at a depot in Brunswick Street (which later became the company's head office). The first service ran from the train terminus at Ynysforgan to Pontardawe on 2 May 1914.

In 1927 the company took over the lease of Mumbles Railway and Pier from Swansea Improvements and Tramways Company, and the two companies merged. Immediately, South Wales Transport Company worked on the electrification of the line, which had previously been run by horse and then steam. Power had been granted by the Ministry of Transport in 1925, under the Railways (Electrical Power) Act of 1903. An electricity sub-station at Blackpill was built, and an agreement made with Swansea Corporation for the supply of electrical power. South Wales Transport Company then took over the tramway company in 1930, although both continued to be wholly owned by BET, with the same management and directors.

In 1935 the two companies sought parliamentary powers to abandon the tram system and substitute it with bus services. The routes were still leased from Swansea Corporation, whose approval also had to be sought. The result was the Swansea and District Transport Act 1936, which gave power for the company to operate bus services in the County Borough of Swansea for 21 years. An annual fee was to be paid to the Corporation and at the end of that period the Corporation would have the right to compulsorily acquire all local services. The act also provided that a Transport Advisory Committee was set up. After 21 years the corporation did not choose to exercise the right to take over the local services.

In the 1930s the company expanded its remit to include coach tour holidays throughout the UK, and to other European destinations. As air travel became a more popular way to travel over-seas, the company arranged air tours with air travel companies at Cardiff and Swansea. The company opened a Travel Agents at Craddock Street, Swansea, and acted as an agent for the major operators in world travel.

Between 1935 and 1937 the company acquired various small local bus companies, including J M Bacus & Co of Burry Port, The Gwedraeth Transport Co (1933) Ltd of Pontyates (both ran services in the Llanelli-Carmarthen direction), Willmore Motors Ltd of Neath, John Brothers of Grovesend, Treharne Bros of Ponthenry and Osborne Services of Neath. In 1952 the company purchased Llanelly District Traction Company, which operated trolley and motorbus services within the town of Llanelli. The trolley buses were scrapped and replaced with motor buses.

Coming to the end of the 1950s, there was an investigation into the future of the railway. The company found that the fall in passenger numbers due to the increasing use of private motor cars, and the increase in operating costs, meant that it would be beneficial to abandon the railway and replace it with bus services. It purchased the railway and pier from the proprietors, Swansea and Mumbles Railway Company and the Mumbles Railway and Pier Company, and then applied for an act to abandon the railway. Despite a petition signed by almost 14000 people, from the Mumbles Railway Passengers Association, the South Wales Transport Act 1959 was passed. Mumbles Railway ran its last train on 5 Jan 1960.

Mumbles Pier had been sub-leased to the Amusement Equipment Company Limited since 1938. It was closed and declared unsafe in 1952, but the sub-lessees had repaired it, and it re-opened in 1956. After the abandonment of Mumbles Railway, the pier and hotel was owned by South Wales Transport Company, who continued to lease both to Amusement Equipment Company, before selling to them on 22 Dec 1971"

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024