Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. 08:39 - Sep 15 with 10197 views_

So far it's been evident that it's the strength and diversity of our squad that's brought us the successes we've had.

I really do know we're light in some areas but hear me out.

When I've tried to pick a starting eleven I really struggle. For one I can't find a natural place for Naughton but I really want him in the team. We've seen him play centre half, right back, right midfield and supporting the attack already this season. Connor Roberts has played further up as well.

Celina can play at ten or on the wings, Olsson could play further forward. The players we've got still to stake a claim are all attack minded but they could easily, in this division, adapt to a different position. I know Routs could do a job at number 10, he's even filled in at wing back. Grimes has too as well as coming on against Preston to shore up the game.

McBurnie played all over the park against Millwall to help the team but still popped up with a goal and we have some deadly weapons if we can get the walking wounded fit.

Dhanda has impressed in cameos and cup games, he's not able to get in the starting team and we haven't had any minutes from Carter Vickers who we know can play in at least 2 positions.

This league isn't of great quality but we have some proper footballers in our ranks. Like the side that coined the phrase Total Football, we've got the players that can play all over the pitch in most positions.

So much to like so far, let's hope we can keep the momentum from Millwall going today.

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:30 - Sep 16 with 1502 viewsLeonWasGod

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 23:41 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

I was thinking earlier (re your League 1 standard comment), that overall the standard in this division is lower than I thought it would be. Quite a lot lower to be honest. I remembered it being better than this. Maybe it’s that being in the premier league for so many years has made me forget, or maybe it is worse than it was.

Whatever, I think today is actually the standard of the championship, not league 1. We were mediocre I thought, particularly second half (Celina gives us a spark that is otherwise lacking). But another game where we picked up a point which is all good.

Have been thinking the same. Our promotion winning team would have torn us a new one yesterday.

And we did actually move it round quite nicely for the first 20 mins until we were kicked of the park. That's something we've got to learn to deal with.

There are a lot worse teams than us in this league, even if yesterday fizzled out. It was a poor match all round - Forest were poor too. I think we'll be fine, but not challenge. Probably end up around 8th-12th not helped by lack of strength of depth in the sqaud. All depends on injuries really.
Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:39 - Sep 16 with 1481 viewsraynor94

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:11 - Sep 16 by angryjack

Won't be here long fact

"Fact" it must be true then, I don't think there's any doubt Potter knew what he had to play with, can see him here long time

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:42 - Sep 16 with 1475 viewscostalotta

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:27 - Sep 16 by jack247

There’s always the possibility he’s here longer than the owners.

He isn’t going to like it if we lose more players in January and don’t replace and is almost certainly going to attract interest, but he does seem the type that looks at it as a project more than a job.

That would be a good scenario IMO.

But with Spurs, Soton and one or two others sniffing around Rodon, Connor and Olly they could well be gone sooner.

Has to be said though what a fantastic job Potter has done given the tools at his disposal.
Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:45 - Sep 16 with 1461 viewsangryjack

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:39 - Sep 16 by raynor94

"Fact" it must be true then, I don't think there's any doubt Potter knew what he had to play with, can see him here long time

Herd off a very reliable source yesterday a first team player dad that on transfer deadline day he walked but took a lot of persuading to stay,,he won't be here long fact
Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:51 - Sep 16 with 1453 viewscostalotta

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:39 - Sep 16 by raynor94

Maybe he did, maybe he did not. That’s irrelvant. If Potter gets an offer that will move his career on he will go. Perhaps back to the midlands with stoke and wba not pulling up trees, either could come calling and offer him way more than we can.

“Potter here for a long time. “

Wonder where I’ve Heard that before. There’s no such thing as managers that stay “a long time”, at least not any more. These days that akin to chasing a unicorn!
Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 20:58 - Sep 16 with 1335 viewsjackrmee

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 21:06 - Sep 15 by mahoss

The game was abysmal.
We are abysmal,we can't string 3 passes together,the plus point is the rest of the league are just as bad as us !
Much more of this rubbish and the crowds will start to drop believe me,people have had enough.

You sir, are a joke.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 21:16 - Sep 16 with 1317 viewsLoyal

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:27 - Sep 16 by jack247

There’s always the possibility he’s here longer than the owners.

He isn’t going to like it if we lose more players in January and don’t replace and is almost certainly going to attract interest, but he does seem the type that looks at it as a project more than a job.

It was ALL well and good moving on the lazy fcks from last season. I suppose we all agree to some extent.

However, Potter has shaped a team of sorts from dribs and drabs and has done a superb job. If he starts losing these players as well I would say he will be straight out the door because I'm pretty sure that isn't how it was explained to him when he started sweeping up Huws mess.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 21:20 - Sep 16 with 1308 viewspencoedjack

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:51 - Sep 16 by costalotta

Maybe he did, maybe he did not. That’s irrelvant. If Potter gets an offer that will move his career on he will go. Perhaps back to the midlands with stoke and wba not pulling up trees, either could come calling and offer him way more than we can.

“Potter here for a long time. “

Wonder where I’ve Heard that before. There’s no such thing as managers that stay “a long time”, at least not any more. These days that akin to chasing a unicorn!

This ^ without doubt
Login to get fewer ads

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 21:20 - Sep 16 with 1308 viewsjackrmee

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 21:16 - Sep 16 by Loyal

It was ALL well and good moving on the lazy fcks from last season. I suppose we all agree to some extent.

However, Potter has shaped a team of sorts from dribs and drabs and has done a superb job. If he starts losing these players as well I would say he will be straight out the door because I'm pretty sure that isn't how it was explained to him when he started sweeping up Huws mess.

The exact reason why they aren't going to sell the players he's building the team around.
I can see why people are worried,as the Yanks have sold loads already, but they haven't sold any young players with promise and low wages. I doubt very much that they will, so lets just get behind them til January and see.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 21:27 - Sep 16 with 1304 viewspencoedjack

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 21:20 - Sep 16 by jackrmee

The exact reason why they aren't going to sell the players he's building the team around.
I can see why people are worried,as the Yanks have sold loads already, but they haven't sold any young players with promise and low wages. I doubt very much that they will, so lets just get behind them til January and see.

I thought Roberts & Rodon were out on contract next summer?

Same goes for them as Potter they get a better offer they wil be off

The only loyalty in football is the (majority) of fans
Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 22:29 - Sep 16 with 1266 viewsCroftyjack

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 18:13 - Sep 15 by Jinxy

Personally I thought Naughton did well today. He seems liberated when not in defence. I think Potter could develop him into quite a versatile player. Plus, he has a hell of a shot on him!

Yes great shot and versatile...can fill in for Mcburnie when hes run out of steam.
Are you reading Huw we wont need another striker!!!
Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 22:31 - Sep 16 with 1263 viewsCroftyjack

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:42 - Sep 16 by costalotta

That would be a good scenario IMO.

But with Spurs, Soton and one or two others sniffing around Rodon, Connor and Olly they could well be gone sooner.

Has to be said though what a fantastic job Potter has done given the tools at his disposal.

His tools are the ones you buy in Poundland, some do a good job but most are Pi££ poor.
Be nice to upgrade to Drapers and see what he can do.
Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 22:35 - Sep 16 with 1257 viewsLoyal

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 21:20 - Sep 16 by jackrmee

I support in my way mate, how that's perceived I couldn't care, however it will be the straw that breaks their backs if the asset stripping goes further.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 22:49 - Sep 16 with 1243 views_

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 00:06 - Sep 16 by Jinxy

We really need to have more patience. We are where we are, and I'll repeat yet again that this is a long term thing - no quick fix. We are slowly getting our identity back - I'm enjoying watching us for the first time in a long time. Every week, GP learns more and more about his squad, and how he can deploy and develop them - both individually and collectively.

Fans booing? They're not fans - seriously - go elsewhere! How about just cheering them on eh? Oh and once again, yes, Naughton played well, seriously and obviously.

Just watched the game back and as is quite often when you play it back it didn't look as mediocre as it did yesterday.

Asoro looked better than I remembered watching live and Naughton was bloody good.

I nearly put him in my team for Saturday, he'd definitely be in mine for Stoke.

-------------------- Mulder --------------------

-------- VdH -- Carter Vickers --Rodon ------

Connor ---------------------------------- Olsson

Dyer --- Grimes --- Naughton --- Routs

------------------ McBurnie -----------------
[Post edited 17 Sep 2018 8:16]

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 06:32 - Sep 17 with 1154 viewsChief

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 22:49 - Sep 16 by _

Just watched the game back and as is quite often when you play it back it didn't look as mediocre as it did yesterday.

Asoro looked better than I remembered watching live and Naughton was bloody good.

I know Stoke aren't quite the horrible clogger's they were under Pulis anymore, but the size of that midfield against them still worries me!

But we don't have much else do we?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 08:54 - Sep 17 with 1121 views_

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 06:32 - Sep 17 by Chief

I know Stoke aren't quite the horrible clogger's they were under Pulis anymore, but the size of that midfield against them still worries me!

But we don't have much else do we?

I wouldn't worry about that. There's a lot of very competitive players in that 11. The back 3 or 5, especially so. And with Naughton and Grimes breaking up play probably the bigger worry is the lack of Celina or someone to unlock a door or two.

But if we can get further up the pitch with our wing backs we can get Dyer or Routs into pocketsof space to find McBurnie.

Also a point would still be a good result up there.

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 09:38 - Sep 17 with 1070 viewsChief

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 08:54 - Sep 17 by _

I wouldn't worry about that. There's a lot of very competitive players in that 11. The back 3 or 5, especially so. And with Naughton and Grimes breaking up play probably the bigger worry is the lack of Celina or someone to unlock a door or two.

But if we can get further up the pitch with our wing backs we can get Dyer or Routs into pocketsof space to find McBurnie.

Also a point would still be a good result up there.

Oh yeah I'd absolutely love a point

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:10 - Sep 17 with 1044 views34dfgdf54

I would go 3-5-2 up there aswell personally and I think he will.

I'd love to see Routs played at ten if Celina is out, but can't see it.
Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:56 - Sep 17 with 998 views_

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 10:10 - Sep 17 by 34dfgdf54

I would go 3-5-2 up there aswell personally and I think he will.

I'd love to see Routs played at ten if Celina is out, but can't see it.

That's a very good call and wouldn't surprise me at all.

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 12:19 - Sep 17 with 949 viewsJinxy

Yep, so much has changed it will take time for GP to well and truly get his ideas across, and for the players to understand them. Then the total football bit too - "another level", as the saying goes! I'm loving it to be honest - I'm not interested in the table, or going up this year, just get the performances and strategies right and all will be well given time (and patience as I say!).

The only thing I don't agree with there are Routledge and Dyer, and I think that's why GP is hesitant to use them. The simple reason being that they are not the future. I think he's looking to reset completely, and although they both are familiar with our legacy playing style, perhaps he is more keen to invest in youth and discard baggage etc.. I'm sure if anyone would have taken them on loan he'd have released them. Back up yes maybe, starting it's a no from me. Other than that, I agree with you. Before the game started I suggested in this thread that Naughton would pop up in midfield, for the reasons we've discussed here. He could well be developed in my view, and GP has seen that in him it would seem.
Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 12:29 - Sep 17 with 941 viewsJinxy

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 22:29 - Sep 16 by Croftyjack

Yes great shot and versatile...can fill in for Mcburnie when hes run out of steam.
Are you reading Huw we wont need another striker!!!

Oh God no - I'm sure you know what I mean! It's all about opinions, but for me Naughton seems more comfortable further up the pitch than in defence, borne out by his willingness to take a shot or two. He scored up at Sunderland (I was there - remember it well), and had a few really good attempts blocked in previous games as well as scoring once or twice too. His one-twos, tenacity in winning and retaining possession, tackling etc. impressed me on Saturday to be honest. An able back up for Fer?

If he was a new player making his debut against Forest, maybe we'd look at him in a different light.
Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 12:31 - Sep 17 with 938 viewsjasper_T

Dyer could have a few years left.

Routledge is 34 in January, looked poor in preseason, and hasn't played well in a long time.
Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 12:33 - Sep 17 with 931 viewsBadlands

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 12:31 - Sep 17 by jasper_T

Routledge is 34 in January, looked poor in preseason, and hasn't played well in a long time.

He didn't play many minutes but was very good when playing a central midfield role.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 12:36 - Sep 17 with 930 viewsMoscowJack

The upside of this season is that we've gone from a squad packed with pampered primadonnas to less-talented but extremely hungry and very ambitious youngsters. This is why it's so hard not to get totally behind the TEAM. They know that this is a huge chance that they have to take and you can't fault any of them.

Saturday's game was lacking in skill and guile on both sides but the effort and passion from our boys was wonderful to see. When you consider how much Forest have spent on their squad compared to ours, which is more of a mix-match of who's available at the moment, then we did really well.

I'd take 10th position right now as it's going to be a very long and hard season without our thin squad, which will probably be raped even further in January.

Just want to add....when our weakened team beat top of the table Wolves in the cup last season, I thought "well, we'll be ok if we go down" but I didn't think for one second that only Naughton and Roberts would still be with us from the starting line-up that day. It's crazy.......but we're 6th!!!

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 12:42 - Sep 17 with 918 viewsJinxy

Total Football - Our strength is in our squad rotation. on 12:31 - Sep 17 by jasper_T

I think if we were still in the PL (and in survival mode, obviously) then I think there would be pressure to use them, and others like them too. Where we are now, for me this is the perfect opportunity to blood new (and yes maybe younger - sorry to be ageist!) players who will make mistakes with a probability that we won't get punished for them, as happened on Saturday really.

A few seasons development would see those players mature into the system, at which point we should be challenging for promotion and another sustained presence in the PL. Even if we lose Potter along the way, the die will have been cast and any new manager would then have to build on previous success - as happened before. Those were the days eh.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024