Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ospreys 14:27 - Feb 26 with 19658 viewsBanosswan

Whilst music to the ears of some on here, it's ridiculous to think that the WRU have considered merging them with the Blues, Scarlets or even disbanding altogether!

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Ospreys on 09:52 - Mar 5 with 2510 viewsdickythorpe

More and more are watching the club game as they already have not enjoyed regional rugby. Silly kick off times and daft decisions to go to a subscription channel are part of the reason.
The community game is well supported and a nice little boost to local economyr if club runs itself well.
Ospreys on 10:03 - Mar 5 with 2476 viewsfelixstowe_jack

You would think the logical step if you wanted to reduce the number of South Wales regions to three would be to merge the two least successful and two worst teams.

These are Newport and Cardiff. I guess as the WRU own Newport they would not do that.
Surely a conflict on interest there.
Another strange quirk the Judgement day Match at Cardiff attracts a 60,000 plus crown and is added to both Cardiff's and Newport's attendance which actually doubles their home attendance from 60,000 per year to 120,000 per year.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Ospreys on 10:37 - Mar 5 with 2438 viewstheloneranger

If this merger goes ahead, then it's going to affect the lease the Ospreys have at the Liberty stadium, reduce the amount of matches played there and thereby reduce the amount of money going towards the cost of the Swans long term lease from the council.

Plus it's going to have a massive effect on the coffers of Parc y Scarlets!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Ospreys on 10:52 - Mar 5 with 2413 viewsowainglyndwr

Hopefully the crowds woukd increase for the Club teams again.
I have always said the club to regional rugby should be the same as players being released from their regional teams to the Welsh team system
Ospreys on 10:57 - Mar 5 with 2402 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Ospreys on 10:37 - Mar 5 by theloneranger

If this merger goes ahead, then it's going to affect the lease the Ospreys have at the Liberty stadium, reduce the amount of matches played there and thereby reduce the amount of money going towards the cost of the Swans long term lease from the council.

Plus it's going to have a massive effect on the coffers of Parc y Scarlets!

Who is to say where they will play could be a 50/50 split even if the merger goes through. I can see the regions taking legal action against the WRU on the grounds of restraint of trade and the WRU being the owners of Newport.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Ospreys on 10:59 - Mar 5 with 2401 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I'm afraid the Ospreys are basically bankrupt. They have no choice but to merge with the Scarlets even though the Scarlets don't really want it. The Ospreys floated a merger with Cardiff recently but that never got off the ground. The Scarlets would prefer to just swallow up the Ospreys and they hold all the cards in any negotiations.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Ospreys on 11:04 - Mar 5 with 2391 viewsvalleyboy

Ospreys on 10:59 - Mar 5 by Joe_bradshaw

I'm afraid the Ospreys are basically bankrupt. They have no choice but to merge with the Scarlets even though the Scarlets don't really want it. The Ospreys floated a merger with Cardiff recently but that never got off the ground. The Scarlets would prefer to just swallow up the Ospreys and they hold all the cards in any negotiations.

It’s not just the Ospreys that are in financial difficulties

The whole four regions are

Why do you think that clubs are merging???
Ospreys on 11:24 - Mar 5 with 2364 viewsProfessor

Ospreys on 10:57 - Mar 5 by felixstowe_jack

Who is to say where they will play could be a 50/50 split even if the merger goes through. I can see the regions taking legal action against the WRU on the grounds of restraint of trade and the WRU being the owners of Newport.

Yes. But may depend on demand. Parc y Scarlets has a much smaller capacity than the Liberty. Could see the 'big' games in Swansea and the likes of the Italian and Scottish regions at Llanelli
Login to get fewer ads

Ospreys on 11:26 - Mar 5 with 2359 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Ospreys on 11:04 - Mar 5 by valleyboy

It’s not just the Ospreys that are in financial difficulties

The whole four regions are

Why do you think that clubs are merging???

There's financial difficulty and there's near bankruptcy.

They aren't the same.

Ospreys on 11:30 - Mar 5 with 2354 viewsvalleyboy

Obviously you have never been involved in business

Any business would want to consolidate their outgoings and no way would they think of splitting in where they play

Perhaps you are dull enough to think that the attendances that watch the Ospreys and Scarlets now will add up to the same when watching this new club

Don’t be surprised if it’s only a marginal increase. As no way this new club will break this tribal attitude that prevails right now

Most Swansea rugby supporters can’t stick the Scarlet supporters and vice versa
Ospreys on 12:04 - Mar 5 with 2308 viewsJoe_bradshaw

If the merger happens I would expect the team to play in Llanelli.

They wouldn't want to pay the Swans to play at the Liberty as well. It will amount to more of a swallowing up than a merger.

Ospreys on 12:08 - Mar 5 with 2302 viewsvalleyboy

Ospreys on 12:04 - Mar 5 by Joe_bradshaw

They wouldn't want to pay the Swans to play at the Liberty as well. It will amount to more of a swallowing up than a merger.

Exactly
Ospreys on 14:06 - Mar 5 with 2225 viewstheloneranger

Warren Gatland made a statement today saying it wasn't the WRU who proposed the merger, but 2 regions have gone to the WRU with the merger proposal

Plus Wales have divulged their squad early today, with rumours of huge unrest in the squad, which is made up mainly with Osprey and Scarlet players.

Only in Wales would you have these meetings before they play 2 huge games against Scotland and Ireland!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Ospreys on 14:10 - Mar 5 with 2221 viewsraynor94

Ospreys on 14:06 - Mar 5 by theloneranger

Warren Gatland made a statement today saying it wasn't the WRU who proposed the merger, but 2 regions have gone to the WRU with the merger proposal

Plus Wales have divulged their squad early today, with rumours of huge unrest in the squad, which is made up mainly with Osprey and Scarlet players.

Only in Wales would you have these meetings before they play 2 huge games against Scotland and Ireland!!

Well, Mike James Ospreys chairman has resigned over the situation

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Ospreys on 14:12 - Mar 5 with 2217 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Ospreys on 14:06 - Mar 5 by theloneranger

The Ospreys approached Cardiff Blues and were turned down. They then approached the Scarlets who were prepared to listen to a possible merger.

Ospreys on 14:32 - Mar 5 with 2181 viewsProfessor

Ospreys on 12:04 - Mar 5 by Joe_bradshaw

Neath supporters arguably hate the Turks even more.
Ospreys on 14:34 - Mar 5 with 2176 viewsdeepdale81

http://www.ospreysrugby.com/News/Article/54260

Link to Chairmans resignation.
Ospreys on 14:45 - Mar 5 with 2153 viewsPozuelosSideys

Whether you are into rugby or hate it, football fans should be watching this with interest. The way things are going with football in general and the Swans in particular, its not beyond the realms of craziness that this sort of thing could happen with us in the not too distant future.

Nothing good can come from this sort of thing for the city of swansea either.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Ospreys on 14:50 - Mar 5 with 2144 viewsDarran

All jokes aside the loss of jobs is going to be dreadful.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Ospreys on 14:59 - Mar 5 with 2124 viewsunion_jack

Ospreys on 14:45 - Mar 5 by PozuelosSideys

Whether you are into rugby or hate it, football fans should be watching this with interest. The way things are going with football in general and the Swans in particular, its not beyond the realms of craziness that this sort of thing could happen with us in the not too distant future.

Nothing good can come from this sort of thing for the city of swansea either.

Totally agree with your last sentence.

Not convinced about your main point though. But you never say never of course.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:29 - Mar 5 with 2106 viewscymrojack

[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 12:29]

Gwynedd & Swansea - Veteran of Morriston Boys Club

Ospreys on 15:31 - Mar 5 with 2101 viewsLohengrin

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:29 - Mar 5 by cymrojack

[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 12:29]

Too much travelling with nowhere near enough money for that to be a goer.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Ospreys on 15:41 - Mar 5 with 2087 viewsJonathans_coat

Ospreys on 15:31 - Mar 5 by Lohengrin

Too much travelling with nowhere near enough money for that to be a goer.

Less travelling and more money than the Pro14 mind.
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:41 - Mar 5 with 2087 viewscymrojack

[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 12:33]

Gwynedd & Swansea - Veteran of Morriston Boys Club

Ospreys on 15:47 - Mar 5 with 2075 viewsLohengrin

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:41 - Mar 5 by cymrojack

[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 12:33]

You’re probably a lot like me in missing the old Merit Table days. Regional rugby has been a qualified success if we look just at the results of the National team in the period since its introduction but the damage caused at grass roots level has been immense. The amount of village teams that have folded without the benefit of strong ‘town’ teams in their area has been shocking.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024