Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Notre Dame 18:46 - Apr 15 with 20007 viewslondonlisa2001

Dreadful pictures emerging of what looks like a devastating fire at Notre Dame in Paris.

An awe inspiring cathedral. Hopefully it can be saved and the damage repaired.

It’s absolutely gut wrenching to see such beauty being destroyed.
Notre Dame on 18:06 - Apr 16 with 2029 viewsMrSwerve

Notre Dame on 17:54 - Apr 16 by Alberto_Swinglehurst

It's great to see how many people on here care enough to let us all know how much they care. Clearly, they're brilliant people.
All I can remember about Notre Dame was buying firecrackers on a school trip and letting them off in the entrance.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2019 17:57]

Was that yesterday by any chance?

Would explain a lot.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Notre Dame on 18:26 - Apr 16 with 1987 viewslondonlisa2001

Notre Dame on 17:18 - Apr 16 by Alberto_Swinglehurst

Look at how well travelled you are!

What, I’ve mentioned India and Egypt?

Hardly Judith Chalmers is it.

The world is a fascinating place. And you can get to most of it for less than the price of a fortnight in Cornwall to be honest. Get to all of it for less than the price of a weekend in CentreParcs :-)
Notre Dame on 20:06 - Apr 16 with 1903 viewswaynekerr55

Notre Dame on 18:26 - Apr 16 by londonlisa2001

What, I’ve mentioned India and Egypt?

Hardly Judith Chalmers is it.

The world is a fascinating place. And you can get to most of it for less than the price of a fortnight in Cornwall to be honest. Get to all of it for less than the price of a weekend in CentreParcs :-)

I'm taking my first foray into Centre Parcs this summer- wish me luck with a toddler and baby!!
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 7:41]

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Notre Dame on 20:09 - Apr 16 with 1898 viewsCooperman

Notre Dame on 20:06 - Apr 16 by waynekerr55

I'm taking my first foray into Centre Parcs this summer- wish me luck with a toddler and baby!!

Woburn?

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Notre Dame on 21:08 - Apr 16 with 1846 viewsBanosswan

Notre Dame on 20:06 - Apr 16 by waynekerr55

Center Parcs!

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Notre Dame on 22:50 - Apr 16 with 1779 viewschad

Notre Dame on 15:09 - Apr 16 by londonlisa2001

A quick read of this thread shows much of what’s wrong with the world.

No respect for anything.

Respect. OK let’s decide who shows or deserves it here.

One wades in with moron, thick, thick as mince, thick as shit, evil little shit, stupid, utter moron.

The other succinctly explores and encapsulates metaphysical identity concepts through the medium of classic comedy.
Notre Dame on 23:00 - Apr 16 with 1770 viewsomarjack

Oh hi guys I'm back!

"reads this abomination of a thread"

..lol nevermind..my mistake for believing you people have any human decency..

"signs off for the next couple of months"

Poll: England vs Croatia (who's going to win)

Notre Dame on 23:30 - Apr 16 with 1752 viewslondonlisa2001

Notre Dame on 22:50 - Apr 16 by chad

One wades in with moron, thick, thick as mince, thick as shit, evil little shit, stupid, utter moron.

The other succinctly explores and encapsulates metaphysical identity concepts through the medium of classic comedy.

“The other succinctly explores and encapsulates metaphysical identity concepts through the medium of classic comedy.”

You got all that from Darran saying ‘no biggie’?

Wow.

Login to get fewer ads

Notre Dame on 23:53 - Apr 16 with 1740 viewsDrizzy

Notre Dame on 23:00 - Apr 16 by omarjack

Oh hi guys I'm back!

"reads this abomination of a thread"

..lol nevermind..my mistake for believing you people have any human decency..

"signs off for the next couple of months"

Thank f*ck for that.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Notre Dame on 23:53 - Apr 16 with 1740 viewsDarran

I think Lisa was drunk.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Notre Dame on 07:41 - Apr 17 with 1677 viewswaynekerr55

Notre Dame on 20:09 - Apr 16 by Cooperman

Woburn?

Not sure - Mrs Kerr has booked

Notre Dame on 07:42 - Apr 17 with 1675 viewswaynekerr55

Notre Dame on 21:08 - Apr 16 by Banosswan

Center Parcs!

Edited for you, Mr Banos!

Notre Dame on 07:43 - Apr 17 with 1672 viewswaynekerr55

Notre Dame on 23:30 - Apr 16 by londonlisa2001

“The other succinctly explores and encapsulates metaphysical identity concepts through the medium of classic comedy.”

Wow.

Notre Dame on 09:28 - Apr 17 with 1630 viewsLohengrin

Wow.

No he didn’t but he looks to be channeling de Benoist or Faye with a line like that.

This place never ceases to surprise me.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Notre Dame on 09:41 - Apr 17 with 1620 viewsdickythorpe

Someone must have and idea of how fire started. Surely there must be a hunch?
Notre Dame on 09:45 - Apr 17 with 1618 viewsLohengrin

Notre Dame on 09:41 - Apr 17 by dickythorpe

Someone must have and idea of how fire started. Surely there must be a hunch?

An accident, most likely an electrical short to do with the renovation works, Dicky. I’ve not heard or read of any possibility of anything malicious. The beautiful oak timbering to the roof is over 800-years-old, so dry it wouldn’t have taken too much before fire caught hold.

Notre Dame on 09:46 - Apr 17 with 1614 viewsJackSomething

Notre Dame on 19:00 - Apr 15 by Darran

It’ll be restored to better than what it was before.
No biggie.

Classic bit of trolling there Darran. Textbook.

Respond to a perfectly innocuous post with something inflammatory, thereby getting the original poster and those who agree with them to respond angrily, which leads to others posting to defend your post, and the whole thing descends into arguments rather than a discussion of the original post.

You could teach those scamps Fath and DYSS a thing or two...

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Notre Dame on 09:51 - Apr 17 with 1607 viewsWarwickHunt

Notre Dame on 09:45 - Apr 17 by Lohengrin

An accident, most likely an electrical short to do with the renovation works, Dicky. I’ve not heard or read of any possibility of anything malicious. The beautiful oak timbering to the roof is over 800-years-old, so dry it wouldn’t have taken too much before fire caught hold.

The bells, Loh. The bells...

And you a Peter Lorre fan too.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 9:51]
Notre Dame on 10:04 - Apr 17 with 1588 viewsHighjack

Don’t be too harsh on Lisa, it’s her default response to anybody with a different opinion to her to call them thick. It’s probably a coping mechanism.

Sarcasm and dark humour works for other people. We are all different which should be celebrated. A world where we all act and think the same would be a horrible world.

I hope I haven’t shown a lack of respect, obviously the loss of such old craftsmanship and architecture is devastating. The only person or thing I have possibly shown disrespect to in this thread is that bloody Jenn, but I’m ok with that.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Notre Dame on 10:06 - Apr 17 with 1586 viewschad

Wow.

Ha, no, not “No biggie”. Although it seems the leader of France, expressed almost identical sentiments in a less compact format.

I am of course referring to the “Triggers broom” comment (hence through the medium of classic comedy). A modern idiom for the ship of Theseus paradox, a philosophical debate about the endurance of identity.

In this instance consideration of the essence of sameness, evoked by comments here that Notre Dame would not be the same after renovation. However as pointed out by lifelong, it has already been renovated many times, so has not been the same over many iterations of change.
Notre Dame on 12:46 - Apr 17 with 1524 viewsLohengrin

Notre Dame on 10:04 - Apr 17 by Highjack

Don’t be too harsh on Lisa, it’s her default response to anybody with a different opinion to her to call them thick. It’s probably a coping mechanism.

Sarcasm and dark humour works for other people. We are all different which should be celebrated. A world where we all act and think the same would be a horrible world.

I hope I haven’t shown a lack of respect, obviously the loss of such old craftsmanship and architecture is devastating. The only person or thing I have possibly shown disrespect to in this thread is that bloody Jenn, but I’m ok with that.

”A world where we all act and think the same would be a horrible world.”

It would have been quicker if you’d just said China.

Notre Dame on 13:08 - Apr 17 with 1509 viewsdickythorpe

Notre Dame on 09:45 - Apr 17 by Lohengrin

Whoosh!
Notre Dame on 13:10 - Apr 17 with 1506 viewsLohengrin

Notre Dame on 13:08 - Apr 17 by dickythorpe

Whoosh!

Aye, sorry about that. I’ve only managed to get about eight hours sleep in the last fifty.

Notre Dame on 13:20 - Apr 17 with 1496 viewslondonlisa2001

Notre Dame on 10:06 - Apr 17 by chad

Ha, no, not “No biggie”. Although it seems the leader of France, expressed almost identical sentiments in a less compact format.

I am of course referring to the “Triggers broom” comment (hence through the medium of classic comedy). A modern idiom for the ship of Theseus paradox, a philosophical debate about the endurance of identity.

In this instance consideration of the essence of sameness, evoked by comments here that Notre Dame would not be the same after renovation. However as pointed out by lifelong, it has already been renovated many times, so has not been the same over many iterations of change.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

The problem with the Trigger’s Broom comment is not that I didn’t understand the point being made chad, but that the point was based on an incorrect understanding of the renovation work that has previously been carried out. Which is why I responded ‘no, it’s not’ to Darran’s assertion.

Previous renovations have not replaced the fundamental structure of the cathedral - the roof support timbers that have burned were 800 plus year old oaks, cut down c. 1160. The North Rose Window still consists of 800 year old glass.
The spire which collapsed was not original, but was a 19th century reconstruction). Internal statuary was not original. But a remarkable amount of the main structure of the building was original.

And Macron actually said that he was sad to see part of ‘us’ (the French) burn. Which isn’t really an identical sentiment to ‘no biggie’.

Of course they have to pledge to rebuild it. And they will. And it will be beautiful. But that’s not the point.
Notre Dame on 13:58 - Apr 17 with 1462 viewsLohengrin

Notre Dame on 13:20 - Apr 17 by londonlisa2001

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

The problem with the Trigger’s Broom comment is not that I didn’t understand the point being made chad, but that the point was based on an incorrect understanding of the renovation work that has previously been carried out. Which is why I responded ‘no, it’s not’ to Darran’s assertion.

Previous renovations have not replaced the fundamental structure of the cathedral - the roof support timbers that have burned were 800 plus year old oaks, cut down c. 1160. The North Rose Window still consists of 800 year old glass.
The spire which collapsed was not original, but was a 19th century reconstruction). Internal statuary was not original. But a remarkable amount of the main structure of the building was original.

And Macron actually said that he was sad to see part of ‘us’ (the French) burn. Which isn’t really an identical sentiment to ‘no biggie’.

Of course they have to pledge to rebuild it. And they will. And it will be beautiful. But that’s not the point.

”And Macron actually said that he was sad to see part of ‘us’ (the French) burn.”

Shameless politicking from the Gallic Blair it was too. This is the same Macron if you remember, Lis, at the time of the Presidential debates who sneered at the hapless Valls that his policy was laicite - secularism - and he had no intention of being “discrete” about it either now or in the future.

Since the fire he and his advisors have had one eye on the media and the other on Marion Marechal who, frankly, terrifies them.They are desperately manoeuvring to try and occupy the ground they think she’s advancing toward. It’s a nauseating spectacle to behold when you see it for what it is.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024