Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? 06:36 - Jun 21 with 55847 viewsBrynmill_Jack

If this is true we’d be mad not to say yes. Only caveat being that Cooper must have funds to replace him. Even better if we could bump it up to £15million

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/06/20/report-sheffield-united-confident-of-signi

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:18 - Jun 23 with 2988 viewsItchySphincter

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 10:59 - Jun 23 by Brynmill_Jack

If some think he's worth 25 million they can't have seen him play or still think we're a PL club.

Seeing as your so keen for him to go who do you think would be better, and how much would you expect to pay for him, being as you’d be buying 20-odd goals per season?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:18 - Jun 23 with 2986 viewsNortbankboy

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:00 - Jun 23 by Swanseaman

some do just keep making the same mistakes over and over again, and they never learn the lesson.

At the moment we have become a selling club, it could be that any decent offer for any player and we would sell. But the whole point in developing players is to increase their value, so selling them too early is like throwing money away.

it doesn't surprise me (although it should) that there are many posters here who think it's a great idea to sell out top goalscorer and that we will be okay doing this.

When Llorente and Sigurdson were on the verge of being sold, I felt I was the only one saying that it was a bad idea. Now we are probably going to do the same thing again, even though there will obviously be a relegation risk if we don't manage to replace well.

McBurnie is improving year on year, this season he may improve again, players peak at around 27, there is no urgent need to sell and there is a chance that he could increase in value if we kept him.

We will probably sell him though, and everyone will be happy we've made some money to pay our debts - while some celebrate we have solt our top goalscorer, I will be gutted to be witnessing history repeating itself again.

When the club starts to say 'no we are not selling our best players', and they find other ways to make the money back, that will show that we are heading in the right direction. This happened to us not long before we got promoted to the premiership, we stopped selling our best players and it paid off for us.

so I think it's not worth the risk of relegation selling McBurnie and seeing us getting deeper in trouble (do the yanks really want their shares to devalue further).

No ,what a lot of is saying is McEnroe is never worth £12mill
So cash in now and buy a replacement,
Good business
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:22 - Jun 23 with 2973 viewsNortbankboy

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:05 - Jun 23 by swan65split

"When Llorente and Sigurdson were on the verge of being sold, I felt I was the only one saying that it was a bad idea. "

No you werent , same here.

"We will probably sell him though, and everyone will be happy we've made some money to pay our debts -"
Yep probably, but chances are in a few years we will have debts again!!!

Nobody wanted them to go.
They wanted to go so the yanks had no option but to sell.

The same with Dan james,he wanted to go so we had to sell.
And no doubt McEnroe will want to see if he is capable of playing in the premiership
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:28 - Jun 23 with 2956 viewsswan65split

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:22 - Jun 23 by Nortbankboy

And no doubt McEnroe will want to see if he is capable of playing in the premiership

"They wanted to go so the yanks had no option but to sell. " Yeah

Why did they want to go?, because we were in a mess, and starting the slip to oblivion thanks to your mate.

Now go away WUM.
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:29 - Jun 23 with 2949 viewsBadlands

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:22 - Jun 23 by Nortbankboy

Absolutely spot on.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:31 - Jun 23 with 2940 viewsSwanseaman

That's not what I heard, Sigurdson and Llorente have both said they were never offered the chance to stay. And it seemed like everyone here was saying we should sell them if the price was right.

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:36 - Jun 23 with 2930 viewsNeath_Jack

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:31 - Jun 23 by Swanseaman

That's not what I heard, Sigurdson and Llorente have both said they were never offered the chance to stay. And it seemed like everyone here was saying we should sell them if the price was right.

Aye, because they both those players would have turned down Spurs and Everton if we offered them a new deal. Get real.

And we not becoming a selling club, we have always been a selling club. The same as any other club in the world. If a better team offers the right amount of money, said players are gone. Nothing to debate about it.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:39 - Jun 23 with 2911 viewsSwanseaman

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:36 - Jun 23 by Neath_Jack

Aye, because they both those players would have turned down Spurs and Everton if we offered them a new deal. Get real.

And we not becoming a selling club, we have always been a selling club. The same as any other club in the world. If a better team offers the right amount of money, said players are gone. Nothing to debate about it.

Like I said: for a season or 2 before our promotion to the premiership, we were refusing to sell players. so for that time at least, we weren't a selling club (normally we would have sold them).

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

Login to get fewer ads

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:53 - Jun 23 with 2874 viewsNortbankboy

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:31 - Jun 23 by Swanseaman

No no one wants world class players those to go.
They both wanted out
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:57 - Jun 23 with 2857 viewsNortbankboy

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:39 - Jun 23 by Swanseaman

Like I said: for a season or 2 before our promotion to the premiership, we were refusing to sell players. so for that time at least, we weren't a selling club (normally we would have sold them).

We sold few players trundle wanted to go,Andy Robinson wanted go.
So did bordie until he got injured.
We will always be a selling club unless the handrail us,to the saudis
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:15 - Jun 23 with 2816 viewsSwanseaman

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:57 - Jun 23 by Nortbankboy

We sold few players trundle wanted to go,Andy Robinson wanted go.
So did bordie until he got injured.
We will always be a selling club unless the handrail us,to the saudis

Transfer window before our premiership relegation: Sold our 2 best players, and failed to replace well: lots of people here believed strongly that it was the best thing to do and we would be okay.

This transfer window: Sold one of our best players, and are on the verge of selling our 2nd best player: lots of people here believing strongly it's the best thing to do, and that we will replace them well and be okay.

The similarity: selling our 2 top players. the thinking: we will be okay.

We also have the added problem of the new manager risk, he could do well, but with losing our 2 top players that's not going to help him much.

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:34 - Jun 23 with 2789 viewsswancity

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:36 - Jun 23 by Neath_Jack

I think the debate is not around selling players :

It’s having little or no appetite to adequately replace them. That’s where we are now. That’s why there is concern.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:48 - Jun 23 with 2756 views34dfgdf54

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:34 - Jun 23 by swancity

It’s having little or no appetite to adequately replace them. That’s where we are now. That’s why there is concern.

Correct..
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:51 - Jun 23 with 2751 viewsNeath_Jack

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:34 - Jun 23 by swancity

There's several different debates going on throughout this thread (as they always do). I answered one specific post.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 20:21 - Jun 23 with 2519 viewsjack247

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 14:42 - Jun 23 by jasper_T

The fact that the club was a shitshow for a few years before they arrived is pretty significant to the argument you're making. The club didn't go downhill "from the moment they got here", it was already careening down a slope with faulty brakes. Always hard up for cash, in bed with dodgy agents, expensive tastes in players with mixed on field results. Decisions made with a closer eye on the sale value/potential of the business than the football team.

You can't just say "this isn't about Jenkins, he's gone". He was chairman for all the recent bad years, pre and post share sale, and (perhaps ironically) his DJ deal saviour moment shows just how much power he still wielded day to day.

The new chairman is doing a good job so far, with the dastardly Americans in charge.

The argument I was making was that there wasn’t a Dan James for every Borja, or that the good signings didn’t balance out the bad.

Seeing as shambolic recruitment under the Americans is a massive part of the reason why we were a) relegated and b) more importantly, unable to cope with relegation financially, I thought it was a reasonable period to compare good and bad signings over. We can go back to Jenkins and cos reign, which was overall very good in terms of recruitment. We can go back to Petty and Lewis and Doug Sharpe if we have to. In reality, signing expensive flops on massive wages over the last few years has done us.

This isn’t pro Jenkins at all, I’m not attempting to defend him, just disputing the assertion that the good and bad signings even themselves out. You’d have to go back four or five years to make that argument, which was my point.
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 20:37 - Jun 23 with 2478 viewsmonmouth

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 20:21 - Jun 23 by jack247

The argument I was making was that there wasn’t a Dan James for every Borja, or that the good signings didn’t balance out the bad.

Seeing as shambolic recruitment under the Americans is a massive part of the reason why we were a) relegated and b) more importantly, unable to cope with relegation financially, I thought it was a reasonable period to compare good and bad signings over. We can go back to Jenkins and cos reign, which was overall very good in terms of recruitment. We can go back to Petty and Lewis and Doug Sharpe if we have to. In reality, signing expensive flops on massive wages over the last few years has done us.

This isn’t pro Jenkins at all, I’m not attempting to defend him, just disputing the assertion that the good and bad signings even themselves out. You’d have to go back four or five years to make that argument, which was my point.

Jenkins was mostly allowed to carry on as before that was the Yanks big error. We apply continued the downhill slide that had been well entrenched under Jenkins and Dineen since the jerk Monk felt 'entitled to wear the suit'. He should have been locked out as soon as he said that. And yes I didn't think so at the time but people like Warwick did and, by god, they were right.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 11:30 - Jun 24 with 2204 viewsjack247

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 20:37 - Jun 23 by monmouth

Jenkins was mostly allowed to carry on as before that was the Yanks big error. We apply continued the downhill slide that had been well entrenched under Jenkins and Dineen since the jerk Monk felt 'entitled to wear the suit'. He should have been locked out as soon as he said that. And yes I didn't think so at the time but people like Warwick did and, by god, they were right.

We had certainly peaked and were on a slippery slope with big wage earners like Gomis and Ayew and Monk dismantling our football ethos.

I think it’s fairly safe to say our decline accelerated quite dramatically when the Americans came in. Jenkins veered further from our on and off field principles once he had his millions in the bank. Shit managers, boring football, losing and expensive mercenaries became the norm. That happened on their watch.

The point being debated though, was whether we had made as many good as bad signings and whether they evened each other out.
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 11:46 - Jun 24 with 2178 viewsBadlands

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 20:21 - Jun 23 by jack247

In order to get players to Swansea we had to spend ££££millions more than other clubs.
On paper every transfer (bar Sanches who was obviously down to Clements calling in favours and we were given a player who was failing before coming to us; and Bony who was a desperation purchase of player who had played little effective football in recent years, was unfit and injured) was a good one.
After the Monk destruction of our style, we fell into two massive traps;
1) we fell into was trying to buy players who fitted the 'English game' and were therefore more expensive as other clubs would also have shown interest.
2) fearing relegation and attempting to stay in the PL at any cost.
If the American consortium are to blame I was in trusting the set up they inherited.

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 12:06 - Jun 24 with 2138 viewsjack247

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 11:46 - Jun 24 by Badlands

In order to get players to Swansea we had to spend ££££millions more than other clubs.
On paper every transfer (bar Sanches who was obviously down to Clements calling in favours and we were given a player who was failing before coming to us; and Bony who was a desperation purchase of player who had played little effective football in recent years, was unfit and injured) was a good one.
After the Monk destruction of our style, we fell into two massive traps;
1) we fell into was trying to buy players who fitted the 'English game' and were therefore more expensive as other clubs would also have shown interest.
2) fearing relegation and attempting to stay in the PL at any cost.
If the American consortium are to blame I was in trusting the set up they inherited.

2) is exactly what ruined us. Panic signing players on massive wages they were barely sustainable at PL level with no regard as to how relegation would impact us longer term.

It’s flat out irresponsible. Yes, obviously Jenkins signed off on the individual players. Those that allowed him to commit to an outlay that would absolutely ruin us and that are now selling off the silver to pay for it are even more culpable IMO. He’s recruited awfully and it’s seriously cost us. They have allowed him to commit resources that would cripple us.

They’ve gone shit or bust. Responsible owners don’t do that.
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 13:41 - Jun 24 with 1995 viewsAlfieMooresSon

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:15 - Jun 23 by Swanseaman

Transfer window before our premiership relegation: Sold our 2 best players, and failed to replace well: lots of people here believed strongly that it was the best thing to do and we would be okay.

This transfer window: Sold one of our best players, and are on the verge of selling our 2nd best player: lots of people here believing strongly it's the best thing to do, and that we will replace them well and be okay.

We also have the added problem of the new manager risk, he could do well, but with losing our 2 top players that's not going to help him much.

Spot on!
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 14:34 - Jun 24 with 1917 viewsFireboy2

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:15 - Jun 23 by Swanseaman

I really hope we dont sell mcsocks as he wont get replaced and cooper needs all the help starting his proper managerial career.
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:00 - Jun 24 with 1779 viewsBadlands

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 12:06 - Jun 24 by jack247

2) is exactly what ruined us. Panic signing players on massive wages they were barely sustainable at PL level with no regard as to how relegation would impact us longer term.

It’s flat out irresponsible. Yes, obviously Jenkins signed off on the individual players. Those that allowed him to commit to an outlay that would absolutely ruin us and that are now selling off the silver to pay for it are even more culpable IMO. He’s recruited awfully and it’s seriously cost us. They have allowed him to commit resources that would cripple us.

They’ve gone shit or bust. Responsible owners don’t do that.

In addition to the American consortium there is the Trust and individuals.
You are suggesting the whole club has been run irresponsibly.
And the alternative is?

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:10 - Jun 24 with 1756 viewsjack247

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:00 - Jun 24 by Badlands

In addition to the American consortium there is the Trust and individuals.
You are suggesting the whole club has been run irresponsibly.
And the alternative is?

The trust and individuals aren’t running the club though are they?

There is no alternative now. My gripe isn’t with the way the club is being run now, it’s with the way it has been run over the last couple of years that’s put us in the position of having to run it the way it’s being run now.
McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:11 - Jun 24 with 1754 viewsBadlands

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 15:39 - Jun 23 by Swanseaman

2 seasons ahead of promotion we were running a balanced budget. We are trying to return to that position.
Scotland (20 goal striker), Britton, Bessone, Partly and de Vries all sold.
At that time we had very few star out player and relied on managers making the team more than the sum of its parts,

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 17:32 - Jun 24 with 1604 viewsNotLoyal

McBurnie to Sheffield Utd/Brighton for £12 million? on 16:11 - Jun 24 by Badlands

2 seasons ahead of promotion we were running a balanced budget. We are trying to return to that position.
Scotland (20 goal striker), Britton, Bessone, Partly and de Vries all sold.
At that time we had very few star out player and relied on managers making the team more than the sum of its parts,

Always had a quality spine to the team, we don't have that now.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024