Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
7.7 Billion People and Counting.. 21:25 - Jan 21 with 5548 viewsBrynCartwright

..on BBC2 now with Chris Packham.

Pricks like Trump need to listen to people like him.

How can we stop everybody fecking each other so much that the Earth is not absolutely munted?

Too many sodding people.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 09:55 - Jan 22 with 1061 viewsCatullus

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 22:40 - Jan 21 by Lohengrin

Thomas Malthus.

Are these outbreaks of seemingly ever deadlier viruses (The Corona virus in China being the latest) the start of the Malthusian crisis then Loh?

Malthus was 200 years ahead of his time and thanks to Loh i got a little bit more educated. School certainly never talked/taught about Malthus.

I been reading more recently that they expect the population to level off between 10/11 billion then start to drop. There is already population decrease in the more urbanised countries, even China has seen a change.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/06/17/worlds-population-is-projected-

The big question is will disaster strike before this happens? Will we have the war, famine or pestilence, well we have that Malthusian crisis?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:00 - Jan 22 with 1050 viewsjackrmee

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 21:50 - Jan 21 by PozuelosSideys

Not a single politician has the balls to touch this subject.

Not only do we not have any plans or policies to manage the exponential increase and seemingly unstoppable multiplication of our species on the planet, which is much like bacteria growing on an organism, we in fact actively incentivise people to keep on reproducing. Unless this can be managed, this will be the downfall of our species.

There is a theory called the Fermi Paradox. This is where based on a mathematical notion which concludes that given how large the Universe is and how far into it we are now able to see, we should be seeing other signs of life, if not aliens (intelligent life) themselves. However, the paradox is that there are no signs of it to date, even though the mathematical probability states we should be able to. There are many possible reasons for it, but maybe overpopulation and the inability to control its numbers has lead to all other species becoming extinct and we are on exactly the same course as them to commit the same error.

Solution one. Tax the bollox off people in developed nations who have more than 2 kids (medical exceptions allowed) which would keep headcount flat (ie two parents are replaced by their two kids. In third world nations make contraceptives free and incentivise with the tax take from the modern world so they also have families with no more than 2 kids.

There is no "gentle" way to manage this problem. But make no mistake, failure to manage it will be the demise of our species. The planet will destroy us and will regenerate when we have gone.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 21:53]

Kill all old people. Simple.
Once you hit 60, it's goodnight. PLOP. In with the jellyfish.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:00 - Jan 22 with 1050 viewsjackrmee

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 22:02 - Jan 21 by lifelong

The real c’nts are those who dump dead foxes outside the entrance to his home.

Why do they do that?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:06 - Jan 22 with 1048 viewsjackrmee

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 22:17 - Jan 21 by Luther27

Birth control is the only answer as unpalatable as it is to nearly every religion or democratic free will to reproduce as much as you want.

The flavour of the month...so to speak...is veganism. The amount of vegetables, fruit etc required to feed an increasing UK population, never mind a global population requires a massive increase in high intensity farming. What that means is using much more pesticides and genetic modification of plants to supply the demands. A greater use of pesticides as we are seeing is destroying the very insect life that is the basis of pollination for not just our food crops, but little things such as Wild plants.

Nonsense. Over 40% of the world's crops get fed to livestock. The more plants we eat, the less livestock we need.
The US could feed 800million people with the grain they feed to livestock.

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:11 - Jan 22 with 1043 viewsCatullus

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:06 - Jan 22 by jackrmee

Nonsense. Over 40% of the world's crops get fed to livestock. The more plants we eat, the less livestock we need.

OK, so we kill all the worlds livestock and go vegan, the population keeps growing, the end result is the same.
Tackling population growth is as urgent as tackling climate change, the two are inextricably linked.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:21 - Jan 22 with 1030 viewsjackrmee

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:11 - Jan 22 by Catullus

OK, so we kill all the worlds livestock and go vegan, the population keeps growing, the end result is the same.
Tackling population growth is as urgent as tackling climate change, the two are inextricably linked.

You may be right...I'm just saying that we don't need to grow fukloads more fruit and veg if everyone went vegan.

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:37 - Jan 22 with 1011 viewsCatullus

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:21 - Jan 22 by jackrmee

You may be right...I'm just saying that we don't need to grow fukloads more fruit and veg if everyone went vegan.

Ok, but what do we do with all the animals? Do we let them roam free? Who looks after them when we no longer need them? And, when the popukation growth requires us to grow more crops, do we then kill them all? Then how do we dispoe of the carcases? Do we leave them to rot, burn them, bury them?

That raises the question of ethical vegans, if you've gone vegan because of cruelty to animals, how do you feel about veganism being the cause of the extinction of farm animals? Of course you can't be cruel to things that no longer exist, it's the 'final solution' to the cruelty question, or Endlosung der nutztiere/grausamkeit maybe!

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:57 - Jan 22 with 1001 viewsBarrySwan

https://order-order.com/2019/05/08/climate-catastrophe-chris-packham-cashing-car
Login to get fewer ads

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 14:39 - Jan 22 with 931 viewsFlashberryjack

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:00 - Jan 22 by jackrmee

Why do they do that?

That's what c&&nts do.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 17:35 - Jan 22 with 870 viewsLuther27

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:06 - Jan 22 by jackrmee

Bread for all it is then. That'll bring up the 10 billion population mark....and then a slow death for all due to the already mentioned high intensity farming methods which is....allegedly....responsible for the potential decimation of insect life....and that's without poisoning rivers due to nitrate run off.
7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 17:43 - Jan 22 with 862 viewsCatullus

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 17:35 - Jan 22 by Luther27

Bread for all it is then. That'll bring up the 10 billion population mark....and then a slow death for all due to the already mentioned high intensity farming methods which is....allegedly....responsible for the potential decimation of insect life....and that's without poisoning rivers due to nitrate run off.

They're poisoning seas too, the Baltic has a growing 'dead zone'

No one can ever answer what happens to all the farm animals if we all went vegan and stopped cruelly exploiting them for food.

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 18:25 - Jan 22 with 845 viewsGaryjack

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 22:40 - Jan 21 by Lohengrin

Thomas Malthus.

I thought it was the Duke of Wellington, he looks very much like Christopher Plummer anyway.
7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 18:46 - Jan 22 with 826 viewsGaryjack

Just one other thing to think of:

Q: Of all the people who have ever lived and died, what percentage are still alive today.
A/ 0.01%
B/ 0.1%
C/ 1.0%
D/10%

Without waiting for someone to guess correctly, some of you will be staggered to know that it's actually nearer 10%.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 18:51]
7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 18:57 - Jan 22 with 812 viewsLuther27

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:21 - Jan 22 by jackrmee

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51190051
7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 19:09 - Jan 22 with 794 viewsFlashberryjack

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 18:57 - Jan 22 by Luther27

Just had half a pig delivered from a local farmer...done my bit for climate change for now.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 19:19 - Jan 22 with 781 viewsLohengrin

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 18:25 - Jan 22 by Garyjack

I thought it was the Duke of Wellington, he looks very much like Christopher Plummer anyway.

He does now you mention it, Gar. Quite a lot.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 19:35 - Jan 22 with 767 viewsdickythorpe

I thought it was General Picton. A Haverfordwest born War hero at Waterloo I was told as a kid, now he's considered controversial with his slave trade links.

His monument in Carmarthen still stands though.

https://render.fineartamerica.com/images/rendered/default/duvet-cover/images/art

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Picton
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 19:36]
7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 14:25 - Jan 23 with 677 viewsCatullus

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 18:46 - Jan 22 by Garyjack

Just one other thing to think of:

Q: Of all the people who have ever lived and died, what percentage are still alive today.
A/ 0.01%
B/ 0.1%
C/ 1.0%
D/10%

Without waiting for someone to guess correctly, some of you will be staggered to know that it's actually nearer 10%.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 18:51]

I'm not staggered, not considering that 100 years ago the worlds population was less than 2 billion and some of them are still alive with the population closing in on 8 billion.

Though seeing as Homo Sapiens appeared around 180-200,000 years ago, how they know how many lived and died in all that time, well it's surely a guesstimate?

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:43 - Jan 24 with 601 viewsjackrmee

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:37 - Jan 22 by Catullus

Ok, but what do we do with all the animals? Do we let them roam free? Who looks after them when we no longer need them? And, when the popukation growth requires us to grow more crops, do we then kill them all? Then how do we dispoe of the carcases? Do we leave them to rot, burn them, bury them?

That raises the question of ethical vegans, if you've gone vegan because of cruelty to animals, how do you feel about veganism being the cause of the extinction of farm animals? Of course you can't be cruel to things that no longer exist, it's the 'final solution' to the cruelty question, or Endlosung der nutztiere/grausamkeit maybe!

There will be no animals. We breed them specifically for us to eat. Once we stop eating them,we would stop breeding them, the animal population will fall back to natural levels I guess. I'm no David Bellamy mind.

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:44 - Jan 24 with 601 viewsjackrmee

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 14:39 - Jan 22 by Flashberryjack

That's what c&&nts do.

Maybe....but why foxes? And why his house?

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:45 - Jan 24 with 599 viewsjackrmee

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 17:35 - Jan 22 by Luther27

High intensity farming methods are for agriculture mainly, not for feeding humans.

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:51 - Jan 24 with 594 viewsjackrmee

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 17:43 - Jan 22 by Catullus

No one can ever answer what happens to all the farm animals if we all went vegan and stopped cruelly exploiting them for food.

Everyone isn't going to turn vegan overnight.
If many people did turn vegan, it would just be a case of ceasing breeding, Shirley?

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 11:01 - Jan 24 with 584 viewsjackrmee

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 18:57 - Jan 22 by Luther27

That's very good.

I am not calling for anyone to go vegan btw, and I am well up for local, sustainable farming.
I personally don't eat meat due to the cruelty animals suffer during the whole process and the damage cheap meat brings to the planet. But intensive agricultural farming is terrible for this planet.

Did you know that cows create more harmful greenhouse gases, than the entire world's transportation system?
That's right...intensive farming causes more pollution than all the cars, trucks, planes and buses on the road!
Mental!

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 11:23 - Jan 24 with 568 viewsjackrmee

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 17:43 - Jan 22 by Catullus

But don't you see? The seas are getting more polluted due to agriculture, than plant production for human food.

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 11:32 - Jan 24 with 554 viewsLuther27

7.7 Billion People and Counting.. on 10:45 - Jan 24 by jackrmee

High intensity farming methods are for agriculture mainly, not for feeding humans.

No, that's wrong. All farming uses pestecides regardless if it's for crop or fruit production, plus nitrate feeding to maximise production. These chemicals are not only destroying insect life but also affect the water table.
Regarding organic farming...highly commendable but as the NFU and Organic Society agree that these methods cannot feed the UK population as it stands never mind if the majority decide to convert to veganism. I am fortunate in that I always try to buy organic, but it is undeniably more costly and not everyone can afford to.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024