Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Music you discovered later on in life 20:45 - Mar 6 with 3619 viewsTNT

I like a wide range of music, from Punk to Classical.

I had never listened to Pink Floyd, but bought their last album to see what I may be missing - nothing. I recently watched / listened to a Sky documentary, and heard enough to decide to buy Dark Side Of The Moon the next day. Listened to it most days since.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Music you discovered later on in life on 16:04 - Mar 7 with 1079 viewsDr_Winston

Music you discovered later on in life on 12:46 - Mar 7 by Muteswan

Early Genesis was far superior in my opinion, Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel were very influential then. They ended up being a vehicle for the pop style of Phil Collins and apart from a few decent efforts were a bit meh.

Collins usually gets blamed for their move into more "Pop" areas but the first solo thing Gabriel released was Solsbury Hill which is about as non prog as you get and his subsequent solo career isn't exactly prog either. Likewise Rutherford.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Music you discovered later on in life on 16:23 - Mar 7 with 1068 viewsswan72

Not so much "discovered" in later life, but I appreciate them a lot more are the Load and Reload albums by Metallica. Many hate these albums because they are not in the same thrash metal style of the first 4 albums. The more I listen to them, the more I enjoy them. Standout tracks for me are.....
Outlaw Torn
Fixxxer
Bleeding Me
Until it Sleeps
Low mans lyric
Music you discovered later on in life (n/t) on 20:13 - Mar 7 with 1013 viewsleighton1318

Music you discovered later on in life on 20:17 - Mar 7 with 1008 viewsleighton1318

Cream were a bit before my time but I’m really enjoying them now ... everyone knows Clapton’s reputation but Bruce and Baker are both so impressive too.
Music you discovered later on in life on 20:26 - Mar 7 with 994 viewsWarwickHunt

Music you discovered later on in life on 20:17 - Mar 7 by leighton1318

Cream were a bit before my time but I’m really enjoying them now ... everyone knows Clapton’s reputation but Bruce and Baker are both so impressive too.

Nuclear rhythm section. Jazz virtuosi playing blues rock.
Bruce and Baker revolutionised bass and drums outside jazz. Jack was a great vocalist too.

Nothing comes close to their best live stuff. I’m So Glad on Goodbye Cream is stupendous.
Music you discovered later on in life on 20:27 - Mar 7 with 993 viewsmonmouth

Music you discovered later on in life on 10:27 - Mar 7 by LeonWasGod

Saw the thread title and opened thread to say Pink Floyd. So yeah, exactly the same here. Been slowly working my way through the back catalogue over the last couple of years. No idea how I missed it before.

Early genesis might also fit into this. I’ve only found out recently their early stuff was prog rock before they went more pop-like. That should be just up my street, but haven’t got round to having a listen yet.

Oh yes, genesis with Gabriel is a class above what they became ( although mention to Duke). Selling England by the pound is terrific on Side one and Romeo and Juliet. Suppers ready Is unbelievable and Can Utiliy off Foxtrot. Oh and the astonishing musical box from genesis live, better than th nursery crimes version. Gabriel was incredible.

In fact you just inspired me to listen to suppers ready with Gabriel. ‘Walking across the sitting room...’. Amazing stuff. Spine tingling.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2020 20:33]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Music you discovered later on in life on 22:21 - Mar 7 with 942 viewsPegojack

Music you discovered later on in life on 20:17 - Mar 7 by leighton1318

How feckin annoying is that stop start film editing?
Music you discovered later on in life on 22:42 - Mar 7 with 926 viewsBDS

Country music. O Brother Where Art Though soundtrack and Johnny Cash American Recordings converted me.
Login to get fewer ads

Music you discovered later on in life on 23:36 - Mar 7 with 914 viewsWarwickHunt

Music you discovered later on in life on 22:21 - Mar 7 by Pegojack

How feckin annoying is that stop start film editing?

Not as bad as Tony Palmer’s film of the farewell 1968 concert...
Music you discovered later on in life (n/t) on 23:43 - Mar 7 with 908 viewsDarran

Music you discovered later on in life (n/t) on 20:13 - Mar 7 by leighton1318

Marcel Marceau? 🤷🏻‍♂️

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Music you discovered later on in life on 00:30 - Mar 8 with 880 viewsLohengrin

Music you discovered later on in life on 22:42 - Mar 7 by BDS

Country music. O Brother Where Art Though soundtrack and Johnny Cash American Recordings converted me.

Welcome aboard, brother. Music for grown-ups.

It’s not for kids or the starry-eyed. You have to have lived a bit to have suffered the knock-backs and known disappointment.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 0:35]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Music you discovered later on in life (n/t) on 07:13 - Mar 8 with 829 viewsWarwickHunt

Music you discovered later on in life (n/t) on 23:43 - Mar 7 by Darran

Marcel Marceau? 🤷🏻‍♂️

[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 7:15]
Music you discovered later on in life on 07:19 - Mar 8 with 825 viewsWarwickHunt

Music you discovered later on in life on 00:30 - Mar 8 by Lohengrin

Welcome aboard, brother. Music for grown-ups.

It’s not for kids or the starry-eyed. You have to have lived a bit to have suffered the knock-backs and known disappointment.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 0:35]

Music you discovered later on in life on 08:35 - Mar 8 with 801 viewsdickythorpe

Wishbone Ash

Music you discovered later on in life on 09:22 - Mar 8 with 788 viewsLohengrin

Music you discovered later on in life on 07:19 - Mar 8 by WarwickHunt

DAC! Absolute raving lunatic!

Raw sex appeal...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Music you discovered later on in life on 17:54 - Mar 10 with 671 viewshowenjack

Music you discovered later on in life on 09:22 - Mar 8 by Lohengrin

Raw sex appeal...

Music you discovered later on in life on 19:49 - Mar 10 with 620 viewsWarwickHunt

Music you discovered later on in life on 09:22 - Mar 8 by Lohengrin

Raw sex appeal...

😂

Music you discovered later on in life on 20:10 - Mar 10 with 604 viewslifelong

Music you discovered later on in life on 15:42 - Mar 7 by cmajack

Country music, modern country i like but 90s country especially. Also have been lucky enough to visit Nashville for the country music festival. Awesome experience.

Music you discovered later on in life on 21:14 - Mar 10 with 561 viewsmajorraglan

Lots of stuff on here I can resonate with.

Credence Clearwater Revival - got in to them after taking a holiday in the Far East to catch up with my brother who’d gone travelling for 6 months and ended up on the road for 2.5 years. I think their version of “ I heard it through the grapevine” is the best version, they do an extended version which goes to about 10 or 11 minutes on one of their albums- it’s great. Another great extended song is “Keep on Chooglin”

Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell are two more and another is Cat Stevens.
Music you discovered later on in life on 21:27 - Mar 10 with 543 viewsDarran

Music you discovered later on in life on 20:10 - Mar 10 by lifelong

Don’t forget Cheap Trick,Rog.

Music you discovered later on in life on 21:42 - Mar 10 with 529 viewsLeonWasGod

Music you discovered later on in life on 11:59 - Mar 7 by Jack_Meoff

Jump straight into the deep end pal, you won't regret it...

So that’s where Marillion with Fish got their sound from.
Music you discovered later on in life on 22:06 - Mar 10 with 520 viewslifelong

Music you discovered later on in life on 21:27 - Mar 10 by Darran

Don’t forget Cheap Trick,Rog.

I’ve lost the cd again. 😂
Music you discovered later on in life on 22:32 - Mar 10 with 493 viewslifelong

Another one of my favourites showing the brilliance of Glen Campbell.
Music you discovered later on in life on 22:53 - Mar 10 with 479 viewsDarran

Music you discovered later on in life on 22:06 - Mar 10 by lifelong

I’ve lost the cd again. 😂

Music you discovered later on in life on 22:58 - Mar 10 with 477 viewsBDS

Are there genres of music that you cant get into. For me it's jazz. I try now and again, John Coltrane, Miles Davies for example. Just don't get it. I'm sure I must be missing something but don't know what.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024