Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 433145 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 12:36 - Mar 14 with 1448 viewsKilkennyjack

Corona Virus on 12:32 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

You didn’t say the UK is doing differently. You said the scientific advice was different which is incorrect.

Johnson is listening to the scientists.

You must know thats not logical.

If the scientific advice is the same, then why are the UK taking such a different approach to everyone else ?

Beware of the Risen People

Corona Virus on 12:36 - Mar 14 with 1449 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 12:31 - Mar 14 by Neath_Jack

Aye i know the bit about the emergency services, i heard that yesterday. I was more thinking along the lines of concerts at the motorpoint for example, theatres, cinemas, nighclubs etc. Regards to big sporting events, such as the postponed rugby today, there would have been 100,000+ in the pubs and bars of cardiff.

I suspect they’ll shut the theatres etc very soon.

No one is turning up anyway.

I agree with you re the pubs / bars effect of rugby, football etc. I certainly wouldn’t go to a game at the moment if they’d been going ahead.
Corona Virus on 12:37 - Mar 14 with 1445 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 12:36 - Mar 14 by Jackfath

Usually at home.

Yes, but that’s the problem isn’t it.
Corona Virus on 12:37 - Mar 14 with 1441 viewsJackfath

Corona Virus on 12:36 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

I suspect they’ll shut the theatres etc very soon.

No one is turning up anyway.

I agree with you re the pubs / bars effect of rugby, football etc. I certainly wouldn’t go to a game at the moment if they’d been going ahead.

Would you keep schools open?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Corona Virus on 12:38 - Mar 14 with 1432 viewsladyjack

Corona Virus on 12:36 - Mar 14 by Kilkennyjack

If the scientific advice is the same, then why are the UK taking such a different approach to everyone else ?

Lisa as usual has got it all wrong.
Corona Virus on 12:40 - Mar 14 with 1425 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 12:36 - Mar 14 by Kilkennyjack

Well partly because we’re at a different stage. Partly because we have a different population. Partly because the policy here is thinking more long term and partly because we’re not actually taking a different approach to everyone else. We are at a different point.

As I’ve said, I have no idea whether it’s right or wrong, but the idea that Johnson wants people to die is simply ludicrous. Not least because the people who will die are the ones most likely to be his voters.
Corona Virus on 12:42 - Mar 14 with 1412 viewsKilkennyjack

Corona Virus on 12:30 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

I know you’re anti Boris.

So am I.

But this post is genuinely ridiculous. The government don’t ‘want people to get it’. They believe there’s no way of stopping people getting it and are trying to manage it.

Scoring political points over something as serious as this really should stop.

Closing down debate is not clever.

The UK govt is taking very different actions to every other country in the world. Are we not allowed to ask why that is ?

Maybe you missed this prominent uk scientist on question time ?
Maybe he is also wrong just cos you say so ?

Btw - i would have no issue with Johnson behaving like every other govt in the world.

Corona Virus on 12:43 - Mar 14 with 1410 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 12:37 - Mar 14 by Jackfath

Would you keep schools open?

Absolutely no idea as I haven’t seen the models.

I do believe them when they say that shutting schools causes a problem in child care that will result in both children being put with the most vulnerable (grandparents) and will also result in key healthcare workers having childcare issues.

Doing something which mixes the most infectious (kids) with the most vulnerable (the elderly) while taking away healthcare workers seems unwise until it’s absolutely necessary.
Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 12:43 - Mar 14 with 1409 viewsladyjack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-51851341

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/mass-gatherings-banned-across-eng

Nicola Sturgeon is the best leader and one of the very best politicians in the UK, Boris Johnson is the worst leader and one of the worst politicians in the UK.
Corona Virus on 12:44 - Mar 14 with 1400 viewsKilkennyjack

Corona Virus on 12:40 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

Well partly because we’re at a different stage. Partly because we have a different population. Partly because the policy here is thinking more long term and partly because we’re not actually taking a different approach to everyone else. We are at a different point.

As I’ve said, I have no idea whether it’s right or wrong, but the idea that Johnson wants people to die is simply ludicrous. Not least because the people who will die are the ones most likely to be his voters.

Nobody said he wants people to die.

Corona Virus on 12:44 - Mar 14 with 1398 viewsmonmouth

Corona Virus on 12:28 - Mar 14 by Kilkennyjack

You are wrong Lisa.

Uk is doing different things cos Boris is listening to certain people and not others.
Cummings is all over this.

[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 12:29]

Now that mass gatherings and sporting events is included in UK response, it's just schools then? And as Lisa said that is clearly arguable unless people are made to stay away from work and look after their kids at home for months. It's not quite so simple. There aren't easy answers. I detest Johnno and his cronies too and, you could argue it's well deserved, by sods law, he ain't going to come out of this looking good. We are going to have a lot of deaths, whatever is decided.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Corona Virus on 12:45 - Mar 14 with 1397 viewsJackfath

Corona Virus on 12:43 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

I do believe them when they say that shutting schools causes a problem in child care that will result in both children being put with the most vulnerable (grandparents) and will also result in key healthcare workers having childcare issues.

Doing something which mixes the most infectious (kids) with the most vulnerable (the elderly) while taking away healthcare workers seems unwise until it’s absolutely necessary.

You will of course be aware that many teachers are vulnerable to infection having to baby sit while Mam can get her loo roll in.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Corona Virus on 12:47 - Mar 14 with 1392 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 12:42 - Mar 14 by Kilkennyjack

The UK govt is taking very different actions to every other country in the world. Are we not allowed to ask why that is ?

Btw - i would have no issue with Johnson behaving like every other govt in the world.

Firstly I didn’t say he’s right. I said your explanation of what he’s doing is wrong.

Secondly, the prominent UK scientist isn’t anywhere near as prominent as the two blokes actually standing next to Johnson at the press conference, so why do you believe him over them? Also that scientist is a prominent member of the Labour party so isn’t neutral.

No one is closing down debate, but spreading falsehood is genuinely unhelpful. Never has there been a situation where it’s so important to separate fake news from reality.

The odd thing in some ways is that a month ago we had far more cases than Italy. And yet people are demanding we act in the same way they have. I’d rather we acted in a way that may avoid the outcomes they’ve had to be honest.
Corona Virus on 12:50 - Mar 14 with 1384 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 12:45 - Mar 14 by Jackfath

You will of course be aware that many teachers are vulnerable to infection having to baby sit while Mam can get her loo roll in.

Yes. As I said, it’s a double edged sword.

But you’re not baby sitting are you. You’re educating children. If you genuinely see what you do as baby sitting, then I fear for the future.
Corona Virus on 12:50 - Mar 14 with 1381 viewsladyjack

Corona Virus on 12:28 - Mar 14 by Kilkennyjack

You are wrong Lisa.

Uk is doing different things cos Boris is listening to certain people and not others.
Cummings is all over this.

[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 12:29]

The diagram says it all about the UK doing things totally differently to most of the rest of the World.
In this case doing things differently to the rest of the World means doing nothing.
Corona Virus on 12:51 - Mar 14 with 1375 viewsJackfath

Corona Virus on 12:50 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

Yes. As I said, it’s a double edged sword.

But you’re not baby sitting are you. You’re educating children. If you genuinely see what you do as baby sitting, then I fear for the future.

I don't as you're aware. Many will though. I can imagine the backlash now, WHEN it happens.

Corona Virus on 12:53 - Mar 14 with 1370 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 12:51 - Mar 14 by Jackfath

I don't as you're aware. Many will though. I can imagine the backlash now, WHEN it happens.

I know, which is why I pointed it out.

When our schools are shut, which they will be, it will be for months. Not for a few weeks. They aren’t saying they won’t do this stuff just that they want to get the timing right for us. Not the timing right for Germany, or Italy, or Spain, but us.
Corona Virus on 12:55 - Mar 14 with 1358 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 12:50 - Mar 14 by ladyjack

The diagram says it all about the UK doing things totally differently to most of the rest of the World.
In this case doing things differently to the rest of the World means doing nothing.

No it doesn’t. It says we are at a different stage.

The Chinese are lifting quarantines. Does that mean we should all lift them? No. It means they are at a different stage. And what happens when they do lift them will greatly shape the response of all countries.
Corona Virus on 12:59 - Mar 14 with 1350 viewsGowerjack

Corona Virus on 11:42 - Mar 14 by monmouth

Can't disagree with a word of that. Toilet rolls is ridiculous.

It's always been thus though. Social media, as with most things, has probably made things worse. I remember my mother panic buying in the 70s for some reason, god knows what.

Tories
Ted Heath
Power cuts

Always the Tories..

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Corona Virus on 13:03 - Mar 14 with 1335 viewsNeath_Jack

Corona Virus on 12:45 - Mar 14 by Jackfath

If they do close schools to children, will you still be expected to attend?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Corona Virus on 13:05 - Mar 14 with 1319 viewsKilkennyjack

Corona Virus on 12:47 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

Firstly I didn’t say he’s right. I said your explanation of what he’s doing is wrong.

Secondly, the prominent UK scientist isn’t anywhere near as prominent as the two blokes actually standing next to Johnson at the press conference, so why do you believe him over them? Also that scientist is a prominent member of the Labour party so isn’t neutral.

No one is closing down debate, but spreading falsehood is genuinely unhelpful. Never has there been a situation where it’s so important to separate fake news from reality.

The odd thing in some ways is that a month ago we had far more cases than Italy. And yet people are demanding we act in the same way they have. I’d rather we acted in a way that may avoid the outcomes they’ve had to be honest.

Well do you still think we are doing the same as other nations, but just at a different time... ?

You are wrong.

Corona Virus on 13:05 - Mar 14 with 1318 viewsCatullus

Corona Virus on 12:59 - Mar 14 by Gowerjack

Tories
Ted Heath
Power cuts

Always the Tories..

The winter of discontent? That was Labour.

I wouldn't close schools because we don't know how many NHS workers would need to take time off work, never mind the other emergency services. Children are the least vulnerable aparently, unless that has changed then it's the big picture we need to look at.

As someone else said, if dhildren end up with grandparents then we are sending potential carriers to stay with the most vulnerable.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Corona Virus on 13:08 - Mar 14 with 1302 viewsbennytheblue

Corona Virus on 12:43 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

Kids going to stay with grandparents is what happened in Italy and why they have such an issue over there. Kids just need to be kept together and away from the very old or with health issues.
Corona Virus on 13:08 - Mar 14 with 1300 viewsladyjack

Corona Virus on 12:55 - Mar 14 by londonlisa2001

No it doesn’t. It says we are at a different stage.

The Chinese are lifting quarantines. Does that mean we should all lift them? No. It means they are at a different stage. And what happens when they do lift them will greatly shape the response of all countries.

We should have shut certain things down days ago but didn't and have left it late, we have had the opportunity to learn from other countries but are slow to react/u-turn.
Boris seems to be waiting to see what Nicola Sturgeon does up in Scotland and then copies her, perhaps they have better experts and statisticians advising her than he has, or perhaps she is just cleverer than him.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 13:22]
Corona Virus on 13:09 - Mar 14 with 1297 viewsGowerjack

Corona Virus on 12:42 - Mar 14 by Kilkennyjack

I'd be very embarrassed to quote a tweet by Rachael Swindon.

Just saying..

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024