Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 432872 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 20:27 - Mar 13 with 2185 viewsexiledclaseboy

Give it a week or so and only the essential public sector services will be running.

Poll: Tory leader

Corona Virus on 20:32 - Mar 13 with 2168 viewsFlashberryjack

Corona Virus on 18:52 - Mar 13 by legoman

My son works with Dr Jeremy Rossman who has set up Research Aid Networks in Chicago.

Jeremy has today added this article to his website for those who may be interested. He is a highly respected and well qualified virologist and whilst the article is written for a US audience it is still useful in my view.

https://researchaidnetworks.org/covid19/

Some excellent advice there IMO.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Corona Virus on 20:49 - Mar 13 with 2131 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 20:02 - Mar 13 by A_Fans_Dad

Lisa, Flu Vaccines do not give you the Flu and do not prevent you getting the Flu, they only help to reduce the symptoms because your immune system recognises it and attacks it quicker.
But they don't work the same for everybody.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/misconceptions.htm
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

If having the Flu this year provides immunity why would anybody who has had it need a vaccination next year?
Because the immunity wears off with time, which is why they say you should have the Vaccination every year.
Viruses can live in the body after the symptoms disappear, Chicken Pox and Cold Sores are classic examples.
For all we know COV could be another.

It gives you the ability to recognise the virus and stimulate the body to produce the antibodies required.

Every year the strains change - they forecast what strains will circulate and vaccinate accordingly. Different vaccines require different frequencies. Some every year, some every ten years, some once in a lifetime.

The silver lining with this virus is apparently it’s not mutating very quickly.
Corona Virus on 20:51 - Mar 13 with 2121 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Corona Virus on 18:52 - Mar 13 by legoman

My son works with Dr Jeremy Rossman who has set up Research Aid Networks in Chicago.

Jeremy has today added this article to his website for those who may be interested. He is a highly respected and well qualified virologist and whilst the article is written for a US audience it is still useful in my view.

https://researchaidnetworks.org/covid19/

Thanks for posting.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Corona Virus on 21:35 - Mar 13 with 2044 viewsBrynmill_Jack

I’m getting emails from every organisation I’ve ever bought from advising me on Coronavirus

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Corona Virus on 21:43 - Mar 13 with 2018 viewsdickythorpe

Corona Virus on 21:35 - Mar 13 by Brynmill_Jack

I’m getting emails from every organisation I’ve ever bought from advising me on Coronavirus

Some Nigerian emailed me asking me to send him 4000 bottles of hand sanitizer and 300 toilet rolls with the promise he'll get me a lifetime supply of each in the years to come
Corona Virus on 22:07 - Mar 13 with 1969 viewslonglostjack

Berlin has closed all bars and clubs from tonight. Other areas of Germany are likely to follow and it‘s anticipated that this could be extended to include all retail businesses with the exception of supermarkets and pharmacies.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2020 22:09]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Corona Virus on 22:12 - Mar 13 with 1952 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 20:02 - Mar 13 by A_Fans_Dad

Lisa, Flu Vaccines do not give you the Flu and do not prevent you getting the Flu, they only help to reduce the symptoms because your immune system recognises it and attacks it quicker.
But they don't work the same for everybody.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/misconceptions.htm
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

If having the Flu this year provides immunity why would anybody who has had it need a vaccination next year?
Because the immunity wears off with time, which is why they say you should have the Vaccination every year.
Viruses can live in the body after the symptoms disappear, Chicken Pox and Cold Sores are classic examples.
For all we know COV could be another.

With flu it is nothing to do with immunity declining and more due to high mutation and variability meaning the antigenic component (the bit recognised by antibody or T cells) varies each year. A group of virologists decide which antigens ( H and N) are included in the vaccine. Sometimes they get it wrong. The vaccines are usually produced on embryonated eggs. The vaccine produces neutralising antibodies that both protects against infection

There are vaccines against other coronaviruses in animal species-like IBV in chickens
Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 22:14 - Mar 13 with 1941 viewsJack123

It's kind of frightening that we are taking a different stance to the rest of the world in coping with this virus, too be honest i don't understand what they are trying to achieve!

libera nos a malo

Corona Virus on 22:20 - Mar 13 with 1921 viewsWingstandwood

Corona Virus on 22:12 - Mar 13 by Professor

With flu it is nothing to do with immunity declining and more due to high mutation and variability meaning the antigenic component (the bit recognised by antibody or T cells) varies each year. A group of virologists decide which antigens ( H and N) are included in the vaccine. Sometimes they get it wrong. The vaccines are usually produced on embryonated eggs. The vaccine produces neutralising antibodies that both protects against infection

There are vaccines against other coronaviruses in animal species-like IBV in chickens

Where did this particular strain of Corona virus originate from, its cause? Is it true that it may have jumped species courtesy of these animal wet market purchases where all types of exotic and lesser conventional food products are offered for human consumption?

I suspect there may be differing opinion in the scientific/virologist community, what is the majority opinion regarding the origin of this disease?

Argus!

Corona Virus on 22:25 - Mar 13 with 1909 viewsmajorraglan

Corona Virus on 20:26 - Mar 13 by monmouth

Bristol stopping on Weds.

My son received an e Mail to the effect there’s a student at the Uni with the illness, as lectures are stopping Wednesday he’s asked me to pick him up on Thursday.
Corona Virus on 22:39 - Mar 13 with 1877 viewsWingstandwood

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-mass-gatherings-to-be-banned-under-govern

Breaking News!

Argus!

Corona Virus on 22:47 - Mar 13 with 1852 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 22:20 - Mar 13 by Wingstandwood

Where did this particular strain of Corona virus originate from, its cause? Is it true that it may have jumped species courtesy of these animal wet market purchases where all types of exotic and lesser conventional food products are offered for human consumption?

I suspect there may be differing opinion in the scientific/virologist community, what is the majority opinion regarding the origin of this disease?

Wet markets have been a concern for years- we all thought influenza or something like Nippah or Hendra virus. Source could be many things but bats seem a good bet. Coronaviruses are common in many species but this was a big jump into us. It’s clearly not human adapted- transmission low and severity too high
Corona Virus on 22:50 - Mar 13 with 1834 viewsThrasher6

All bars, restaurants, nightclubs etc are all closing at 20.00 from today onwards in Gib....damned inconsiderate!

Grand National-winning trainer Dr Richard Newland “In general, I think there has been an overreaction to the illness and there’s been a general hysteria; there were 19,000 people who died from flu last year.”
[Post edited 13 Mar 2020 22:53]

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Corona Virus on 22:53 - Mar 13 with 1824 viewsWingstandwood

Corona Virus on 22:47 - Mar 13 by Professor

Wet markets have been a concern for years- we all thought influenza or something like Nippah or Hendra virus. Source could be many things but bats seem a good bet. Coronaviruses are common in many species but this was a big jump into us. It’s clearly not human adapted- transmission low and severity too high

Thanks for your time and reply! It does sort of make me think that the Chlorination of chicken that happens in the U.S.A may not be that bad an idea after all, that's if it actually prevented the type of occurrence we are seeing now?

Argus!

Corona Virus on 22:55 - Mar 13 with 1821 viewsJack123

Corona Virus on 22:39 - Mar 13 by Wingstandwood

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-mass-gatherings-to-be-banned-under-govern

Breaking News!

Ha ha, show's what a waste of time his speech was last night, didn't go their way, so now they make a token gesture, when then the majority of anyone with half a brain cell have cancelled/postponed events anyway..

Waste of space the lot of them, to backtrack on the speech Boris made after the cobra meeting, shows they don't have a fcking clue.

libera nos a malo

Corona Virus on 23:00 - Mar 13 with 1793 viewshobo

The 'experts' in Government have now changed their mind and wisely decided to listen to myself and others by deciding to ban mass events

https://www.ft.com/content/327fcefe-655c-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

edit : looks like I've been beaten to this news , apologies
[Post edited 13 Mar 2020 23:01]
Corona Virus on 23:17 - Mar 13 with 1749 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Corona Virus on 22:12 - Mar 13 by Professor

I was quoting from those CDC articles, they are not my ideas.
Obviously the US CDC are wrong and probably not for the first time.
Corona Virus on 23:23 - Mar 13 with 1738 viewshobo

Corona Virus on 22:43 - Mar 8 by BytholWyn

This is worth reading: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/#who-03-03-20

The stats from China illustrate the importance of managing the infection rate as best as possible. Take this from the article:

"The overall CFR [case fatality rate] varies by location and intensity of transmission (i.e. 5.8% in Wuhan vs. 0.7% in other areas in China)."

One reason given for the significant variation in mortality rate between Chinese regions is: "Asked why Wuhan was so much higher than the national level, the NHC official replied that it was for lack of resources, citing as an example that there were only 110 critical care beds in the three designated hospitals where most of the cases were sent.".

What we're seeing currently in Italy, with people being treated in corridors is a sobering indication of how things could turn out here. There is only so much we can do, but we must do what we can.

To add to this, and for further reference :

Italy has around 12.5 critical beds per 100,000 people, while the UK has just 6.6.
Corona Virus on 23:28 - Mar 13 with 1720 viewsJack123

Corona Virus on 23:23 - Mar 13 by hobo

Italy has around 12.5 critical beds per 100,000 people, while the UK has just 6.6.

Wow, that makes the governments response yesterday, even more astonishing!

libera nos a malo

Corona Virus on 23:34 - Mar 13 with 1698 viewslegoman

Corona Virus on 23:28 - Mar 13 by Jack123

Wow, that makes the governments response yesterday, even more astonishing!

Not really it just shows why the UK government acknowledges that the need to flatten the peak of infections is important so that the NHS is better able to cope

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Corona Virus on 23:34 - Mar 13 with 1698 viewsNotLoyal

Corona Virus on 23:23 - Mar 13 by hobo

In hospitals or in the numerous facilities the MOD are earmarking for when this goes up one more level?

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Corona Virus on 23:49 - Mar 13 with 1668 viewsJack123

Corona Virus on 23:34 - Mar 13 by legoman

Not really it just shows why the UK government acknowledges that the need to flatten the peak of infections is important so that the NHS is better able to cope

That's the bit I am struggling with, I don't understand how trying to manipulate the infection rate?? I just don't.. I have read quite a lot about this, but nothing so far explains it to me, how does it work? It seems as of the announcement yesterday, they were happy to let everyone mingle as many as can be! I can't see from that way of thinking that they know wtf they are doing?

Surely the peak of infections would be way lower if they took more robust measures?

libera nos a malo

Corona Virus on 23:57 - Mar 13 with 1653 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 22:53 - Mar 13 by Wingstandwood

Thanks for your time and reply! It does sort of make me think that the Chlorination of chicken that happens in the U.S.A may not be that bad an idea after all, that's if it actually prevented the type of occurrence we are seeing now?

It won’t. Transmission most likely from a live animal rather than eating anything unless raw. We vaccinate heavily against chicken coronavirus (infectious bronchitis virus) but a more pathogenic or nasty version from China called QX has been a problem.
Corona Virus on 06:24 - Mar 14 with 1562 viewsBatterseajack

Assuming the CMO has a considered and correct approach for dealing with a virus outbreak long term, current hysteria with people almost deliberately misunderstanding their message, or just scoring political points against the PM, shows how hard it is to implement in practice.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024