Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corona Virus 22:39 - Mar 7 with 437735 viewsSgorioFruit

Sorry for new thread,
But how bad do you lot reckon it’s going to get here in the UK?
I just been watching the news. Looking nasty in Italy.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Corona Virus on 20:22 - Apr 1 with 1520 viewsGaryjack

Corona Virus on 20:06 - Apr 1 by Thebus

Of course they should have known after all they have scientific advisors who no doubt would have taken an interest in the initial outbreak.
I read last week that Germany were gearing up for the virus in January, so what you say is a load of nonsense 😂

Also look how prepared South Korea were compared to us.....forward planning.

Where was Germany's antibody test until a few days ago? This is what we are discussing here in case you had forgotten.
Corona Virus on 21:02 - Apr 1 with 1447 viewsThebus

Corona Virus on 20:22 - Apr 1 by Garyjack

Where was Germany's antibody test until a few days ago? This is what we are discussing here in case you had forgotten.

The Germans are way ahead of us. Not just in antibody testing. 500,000 Coronovirus tests each week.
Even a country like Iceland has carried out large amounts of testing.
Let’s not forget one very important aspect to the British response and that was initially they didn’t want carry out large scale testing and seemed to be going down the herd immunity avenue and only change their response because they were told going down that avenue would overwhelm the nhs.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 21:03]
Corona Virus on 21:05 - Apr 1 with 1438 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 18:50 - Apr 1 by Thebus

In regards to the unknown immune figure, this is one area that the government have been caught asleep. They should have been ordering millions of the antibody tests possibly 2 months ago.

The problem with an antibody-based test is you need to have both a good and reliable antigen (which the antibody binds to) in this case the virus (SARS Co-V2) or part of the virus like the spike protein and reliable positive sera to work with (from a patient), So the earliest one could have been developed is around a month ago. There is also a great desire to have a rapid lateral flow or snap test-either positive or negative. These tend to be less reliable than a full lab test (called an ELISA and something I have developed several of) which looks at a titration of antibody. These are reliable but are laborious. The problem, which Chris Whitty rightly said, is a poor test that gives false negatives or positives is a big problem. I have heard that some of the Chinese tests are only about 50% reliable. But this is what we now need
Corona Virus on 21:08 - Apr 1 with 1432 viewsmajorraglan

Corona Virus on 16:20 - Apr 1 by Cooperman

Our airports are still wide open. My mate has just arrived back from Hong Kong; upon arriving there on Friday he was tested for infection and questioned about his recent movements. Follow up questioning took place on his second day there. Arrived back in Heathrow today to absolutely zero control. This is another major gap in our defences.

Shocking, absolutely shocking. There is a complete dereliction of duty at the highest levels.
Corona Virus on 21:08 - Apr 1 with 1430 viewsProfessor

Corona Virus on 18:46 - Apr 1 by Thebus

Ok. Thanks for reply. Do you also agree with Professor Ferguson when he says of the 20,000 possible deaths, 2/3 would have passed away anyway.

Also why are they counting people who had the virus and have died, even though many of them haven’t actually died from Coronavirus, as Professor Ferguson states.

Well everyone dies in the end. I think the point is that many of these people were not at death's door and perhaps could have had 5-10 years of life ahead.
Corona Virus on 21:10 - Apr 1 with 1416 viewsThebus

Corona Virus on 21:08 - Apr 1 by Professor

Well everyone dies in the end. I think the point is that many of these people were not at death's door and perhaps could have had 5-10 years of life ahead.

That’s not what Ferguson is saying.
Have a look on the bbc news website. There’s an article called “understanding the death toll”
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 21:19]
Corona Virus on 21:24 - Apr 1 with 1386 viewsGaryjack

Corona Virus on 21:02 - Apr 1 by Thebus

The Germans are way ahead of us. Not just in antibody testing. 500,000 Coronovirus tests each week.
Even a country like Iceland has carried out large amounts of testing.
Let’s not forget one very important aspect to the British response and that was initially they didn’t want carry out large scale testing and seemed to be going down the herd immunity avenue and only change their response because they were told going down that avenue would overwhelm the nhs.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 21:03]

I'm not going to allow you to go off topic and drag me down to your idiotic level, as that is what idiots do. Now, until a few days ago, where was Germany's (or any other country for that matter) antibody test against this virus? After all this is where you have said the government has let us down. Not for the level of testing.
Corona Virus on 21:38 - Apr 1 with 1350 viewsmajorraglan

Corona Virus on 14:10 - Apr 1 by CountyJim

I'm fine thanks first 3 days i just slept 16-17 hours didn't want to eat

Great to hear that you have had a diagnosis and that you are on the road to recovery.

Do you mind if I ask what your symptoms were? Was it just the fatigue or did you have the fever, difficulty breathing, cough or any other symptoms? I know a guy who’s had it and he jst had muscle aches.
Login to get fewer ads

Corona Virus on 21:39 - Apr 1 with 1342 viewsThebus

Corona Virus on 21:24 - Apr 1 by Garyjack

I'm not going to allow you to go off topic and drag me down to your idiotic level, as that is what idiots do. Now, until a few days ago, where was Germany's (or any other country for that matter) antibody test against this virus? After all this is where you have said the government has let us down. Not for the level of testing.

Germany has been doing things correctly at the correct times. They are about to start mass antibody testing, whereas the British aren’t even sure if the tests we are supposed to have are even reliable.

What you don’t seem to grasp is that Germany seems to be in a lot more control of the virus than we are.

They are able to act as the virus plays out, whereas we are always playing catch-up, and that because they use something called “forward planning”

Surely even a thicko like you can see we have been caught asleep, while the Germans have been preparing.....it’s really not hard to understand.
Corona Virus on 21:41 - Apr 1 with 1338 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Corona Virus on 21:39 - Apr 1 by Thebus

Germany has been doing things correctly at the correct times. They are about to start mass antibody testing, whereas the British aren’t even sure if the tests we are supposed to have are even reliable.

What you don’t seem to grasp is that Germany seems to be in a lot more control of the virus than we are.

They are able to act as the virus plays out, whereas we are always playing catch-up, and that because they use something called “forward planning”

Surely even a thicko like you can see we have been caught asleep, while the Germans have been preparing.....it’s really not hard to understand.

What about all the other countries in the World you seem to thing everyone has done a good job apart from the UK.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Corona Virus on 21:51 - Apr 1 with 1321 viewsCooperman

Corona Virus on 21:08 - Apr 1 by majorraglan

Shocking, absolutely shocking. There is a complete dereliction of duty at the highest levels.

Yes, the comparison between what’s going on with arrivals in Asia and here in the UK is worlds apart. Our approach is third world.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Corona Virus on 22:03 - Apr 1 with 1300 viewsGaryjack

Corona Virus on 21:39 - Apr 1 by Thebus

You do realise the UK government has bought 3.5m antibody tests right? That's not playing catch up as it was only produced a few days ago, and yes, they are still correct in being sceptical. Don't you think any sensible government wouldn't be over something produced a few days ago? But playing 'catch up' they certainly are not. Are you sure you understand exactly what's going on here?
Corona Virus on 22:06 - Apr 1 with 1287 viewsmajorraglan

Corona Virus on 20:06 - Apr 1 by Thebus

Of course they should have known after all they have scientific advisors who no doubt would have taken an interest in the initial outbreak.
I read last week that Germany were gearing up for the virus in January, so what you say is a load of nonsense 😂

Also look how prepared South Korea were compared to us.....forward planning.

I tend to agree with you that our Government (and quite a few of their European counterparts) weren’t as prepared as they should have been. We've been caught short in terms of PPE, medical equipment, lack of controls at our borders (that is still the case) and the change of tactics re herd mentality.

Places like South Korea were very alert to the dangers and took early swift decisive action, we have dithered. There’s also been mention of Singapore who’ve had a small number of cases, again they were very proactive in the manner they tried to contain it. Singapore is a small place, but it’s densely populated and the kind of place you’d expect the virus spread rapidly.

Hopefully we will see the number of cases reduce significantly so we can return to normality. At some point in the near future there needs to be a full forensic examination of the way this has been managed so we can learn for the future, but I am far from convinced this will happen.
Corona Virus on 22:20 - Apr 1 with 1239 viewsThebus

Corona Virus on 22:06 - Apr 1 by majorraglan

I tend to agree with you that our Government (and quite a few of their European counterparts) weren’t as prepared as they should have been. We've been caught short in terms of PPE, medical equipment, lack of controls at our borders (that is still the case) and the change of tactics re herd mentality.

Places like South Korea were very alert to the dangers and took early swift decisive action, we have dithered. There’s also been mention of Singapore who’ve had a small number of cases, again they were very proactive in the manner they tried to contain it. Singapore is a small place, but it’s densely populated and the kind of place you’d expect the virus spread rapidly.

Hopefully we will see the number of cases reduce significantly so we can return to normality. At some point in the near future there needs to be a full forensic examination of the way this has been managed so we can learn for the future, but I am far from convinced this will happen.

I’m not normally a fan of the BBC but they have a fantastic article on their news website called “understanding the death toll” have a look at it.

Really does explain what is exactly going on.
Corona Virus on 22:23 - Apr 1 with 1229 viewsThebus

Corona Virus on 21:41 - Apr 1 by JACKMANANDBOY

What about all the other countries in the World you seem to thing everyone has done a good job apart from the UK.

You made that up, because I didn’t say such a thing.
Corona Virus on 22:26 - Apr 1 with 1219 viewsThebus

Corona Virus on 22:03 - Apr 1 by Garyjack

You do realise the UK government has bought 3.5m antibody tests right? That's not playing catch up as it was only produced a few days ago, and yes, they are still correct in being sceptical. Don't you think any sensible government wouldn't be over something produced a few days ago? But playing 'catch up' they certainly are not. Are you sure you understand exactly what's going on here?

You do realise Germany is already conducting 500,000 Coronavirus tests each week already.
So yes we are definitely playing “catchup”
Corona Virus on 22:37 - Apr 1 with 1208 viewsGaryjack

Corona Virus on 22:26 - Apr 1 by Thebus

You do realise Germany is already conducting 500,000 Coronavirus tests each week already.
So yes we are definitely playing “catchup”

I'll say it again. We weren't debating Coronavirus testing. We were discussing antibody testing which you brought up initially.

"In regards to the unknown immune figure, this is one area that the government have been caught asleep. They should have been ordering millions of the antibody tests possibly 2 months ago."

Remember?
Corona Virus on 22:37 - Apr 1 with 1205 viewsZaxx

Corona Virus on 17:21 - Apr 1 by londonlisa2001

No, it doesn’t.

There are an extraordinary number of cases in hospital at the moment. That’s why we’ve just opened the Nightingale. I’m not talking about deaths. I’m talking admissions and those requiring a high degree of medical intervention.

It makes no sense that millions were infected a month or two ago without it being seen in hospitals.

The ONLY explanation that would work for that is if a mild strain passed through, followed by a far more aggressive strain. And there is nothing to support that. Nothing.

I seriously hope that the Nightingales can handle the forthcoming capacity that we need.
The 0.68 that you quoted in another post won't be achievable yet, I sincerely hope that it will be within the next few weeks though.
It is widely accepted that there are 2 strains of Sars-2, an S and L variant. Not much publicised recently as it was thought that is was more of a progression as opposed to a separate strain.
CPAPs in abundance "may", and will hopefully relieve the difficulties that our ICUs will be inundated with in a very short while. Again, I sincerely hope so.
Pray for your loved ones, stay safe and stick to as much (as you possibly can) of the guidance that you're given whatever your opinion of our government/scientific advisors may be.

Take heed of the advice and limit the stress that our health service is under. And, it will get worse. Please don't be the one to contribute to the 'hard decisions' which will be taken over the next month or so.
Corona Virus on 22:54 - Apr 1 with 1156 viewsThebus

Corona Virus on 22:37 - Apr 1 by Garyjack

I'll say it again. We weren't debating Coronavirus testing. We were discussing antibody testing which you brought up initially.

"In regards to the unknown immune figure, this is one area that the government have been caught asleep. They should have been ordering millions of the antibody tests possibly 2 months ago."

Remember?

Yes I remember, but it must be hard being as thick as you lol.
Antibody testing is more important in the U.K. than in Germany because Germany has the ability to test to see if someone has already got the virus up to 500 k a week.
Only a complete fool would say that the U.K. is anywhere near Germany’s preparedness.
Corona Virus on 23:03 - Apr 1 with 1145 viewsZaxx

Corona Virus on 22:54 - Apr 1 by Thebus

Antibody testing is more important in the U.K. than in Germany because Germany has the ability to test to see if someone has already got the virus up to 500 k a week.
Only a complete fool would say that the U.K. is anywhere near Germany’s preparedness.

And baseline, Germany already had 3 times the ICU beds per 100k population than we did in the UK.
Can we catch up on that statistic?
Probably not.
But we are kicking on...
Corona Virus on 23:18 - Apr 1 with 1123 viewsGaryjack

Corona Virus on 22:54 - Apr 1 by Thebus

""Antibody testing is more important in the U.K. than in Germany"

I'll just leave this here!
Corona Virus on 23:22 - Apr 1 with 1116 viewsPozuelosSideys

Wow. People are complaining about our response to this challenge, but the Americans are looking like an absolute clownshow. What the hell are they are talking about mexican drug cartels for? Saying they have too many ventilators etc? I know this is a pathetic attempt at distraction from the Adminsitrations failings, but its cynical as hell. Not even allowing briefings from their national medical heads? Wow.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Corona Virus on 23:23 - Apr 1 with 1110 viewslondonlisa2001

Corona Virus on 22:37 - Apr 1 by Zaxx

I seriously hope that the Nightingales can handle the forthcoming capacity that we need.
The 0.68 that you quoted in another post won't be achievable yet, I sincerely hope that it will be within the next few weeks though.
It is widely accepted that there are 2 strains of Sars-2, an S and L variant. Not much publicised recently as it was thought that is was more of a progression as opposed to a separate strain.
CPAPs in abundance "may", and will hopefully relieve the difficulties that our ICUs will be inundated with in a very short while. Again, I sincerely hope so.
Pray for your loved ones, stay safe and stick to as much (as you possibly can) of the guidance that you're given whatever your opinion of our government/scientific advisors may be.

Take heed of the advice and limit the stress that our health service is under. And, it will get worse. Please don't be the one to contribute to the 'hard decisions' which will be taken over the next month or so.

Agree re Nightingale. Astonishing achievement to set this up so quickly however.

Re LSHTM - the calculation was, i believe, done from a small study extrapolated to ‘best guess’ R0 following lockdown.

I read it here:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-spread-idUSKBN21J5

The two strain work, I believe, showed that the Chinese believe the aggressive strain came prior to the less aggressive strain rather than the other way round ? But who knows what one can believe from them to be honest. Your last bit - couldn’t agree more.
Corona Virus on 23:30 - Apr 1 with 1086 viewsThebus

Corona Virus on 23:18 - Apr 1 by Garyjack

""Antibody testing is more important in the U.K. than in Germany"

I'll just leave this here!

Game, set and match. 😂
Corona Virus on 23:38 - Apr 1 with 1614 viewsGaryjack

Corona Virus on 23:30 - Apr 1 by Thebus

Game, set and match. 😂

Testing for the virus and testing for antibodies are worlds apart so yes, it is game, set and match you clown!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024