Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jake Bidwell 09:04 - Sep 13 with 2715 viewsBrynmill_Jack

I started writing this on the match thread but thought this deserved a thread of its own. I’ve just seen the highlights of the game yesterday and as some had already hinted he was definitely man of the match.

I remember him last season stuttering a little when he got to the halfway line And looking a little lost when the left winger got in his way. Even then though it was evident that he had the best cross at the club, very good at delivering the ball into danger areas on a very consistent basis. If we had Llorente last season he would have lapped up that service and with his heading ability would have scored a hatful.

Now watching the highlights back in the bask of the post victorious glow it was a joy watching him own the entirety of his side of the pitch. Dominant in both defence and attack he’d already caused problems for Preston before his harshly disallowed goal and his ball into the box for the winner was sublime. He played with an air of confidence and authority which was lovely to see.

And that’s not all - his physicality being built like a tank and bravery means he never shirks tackles and Is a proper team player. I know we’ve questioned the Transfer dealings and lack of any real gems coming in but Bidwell is beginning to show that as a free transfer he’s not only now one of the first name on the team sheet (I know every other LB has gone but Naughton can definitely play there) but proving himself one of our best signings over the last few seasons. It puts undue pressure on him now but I hope one day our fans will think of his signing as Rangel - esque - I’m going to get slaughtered for that but it’s certainly a possibility for the future if he carries on his consistent level of performance that he’s showing.

Could he be the best left wing back in the division - quite possibly. I even think he his character and leadership qualities could make him a prospective future Swans captain. But for now I’d just like to say a massive “well done” to him and wish him an excellent and injury free season. Any thoughts?

P.S. I actually loved his cynical take down of the Bristol City player away to them last year. It was a trip on half way but if he’d got past him we were in trouble. Shades of Tommy Smith lol?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Jake Bidwell on 10:21 - Sep 13 with 2184 viewsowainglyndwr

I was one of the first to knock him last season, but he has really stepped up in the last few matches and play offs.
Fair play he had a very good game yesterday
More of the same please Jake
Jake Bidwell on 10:31 - Sep 13 with 2168 viewsCatullus

I knocked him too but as you point out, with space in front of him he does better. He's not an over lapping FB but looking like a good wing back. His delivery is good and being out wide by himself ( Ifeel) reduces his options so he concetrates on the cross which has been better for us. With too many players out wide he seemed to dither and then take the easy option. His crossing could turn out to be a massive plus for us, we just need a forward with the aerial power.
Him being "built like a tank" is good too because he doesn't get pushed around in our box defending set pieces. I'd say we are lucky there because our back 3 are all quite chunky anyway. We don't get pushed around anymore, we just need some of that strength in attack, in my opinion.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Jake Bidwell on 11:01 - Sep 13 with 2140 viewsswancity

Always been a steady performer throughout his career

Gives good balance to the team being naturally left footed and it seems that the wing back position suits him.

He was outstanding yesterday but they gave him too much room didn’t they

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Jake Bidwell on 11:09 - Sep 13 with 2134 viewsBadlands

I'm really no fan of Bidwell but happily awarded him MotM on the 'rate the players' thread.
If the back three works I'm happy, too - always been a fan of a back three with wingback (or a back four with adventurous full backs and a strong CDM in front).
My general concern with Bidwell, Roberts too but somewhat less so, is their ability to get back and defend. (Curtis commented on Roberts' not getting close enough to stop crosses and crosses were coming in from the right.) Both wingback chase back but not quickly enough and the midfield and back three get drawn out of position. In games where the are bypassed with long balls and games were the opposition has a stronger attack this really does cause us problems.
But yesterday a definite 9/10 for Jake.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Jake Bidwell on 11:11 - Sep 13 with 2124 viewsonehunglow

That is a nice read Bryn and ,in fairness,it can't be denied he's improved steadily.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Jake Bidwell on 11:21 - Sep 13 with 2111 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Jake Bidwell on 11:11 - Sep 13 by onehunglow

That is a nice read Bryn and ,in fairness,it can't be denied he's improved steadily.

Alright Rich, just thought it was time he got a bit of praise. I think people assumed the worst when they saw him being on a free (and therefore not good enough) for QPR. I took to him straight away and I really hope he goes on to get even better. Like Badlands mentioned he sometimes is too slow at getting back but with Guehi covering it’s a nice piece of insurance. Not forgetting grimes and smith covering too. Pleased for him.

Jake Bidwell on 11:32 - Sep 13 with 2104 viewsItchySphincter

He's been very good since he got here.

Poor leadership leads to poor performance.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Jake Bidwell on 12:02 - Sep 13 with 2080 viewsonehunglow

Steve. Think ,when all is said and done,we want the best for our club and we all see things differently. I'm sure Ive posted some horrendous stuff for 12 yrs or more but it's all part of being a feckwit fan. This club of ours,like it or not,is deep within our soul. Its caused much joy and pain and arguments and indeed damage to property Chez Nous .

Maybe this site is now safe to post . And that's good

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

Jake Bidwell on 12:04 - Sep 13 with 2084 viewsNortbankboy

Jake Bidwell on 11:32 - Sep 13 by ItchySphincter

He's been very good since he got here.

Poor leadership leads to poor performance.

Wing back suits Bidwell and roberts,but when we revert back to full backs their are poor when players run at them.
So I think this formation suits us away from home
Jake Bidwell on 13:07 - Sep 13 with 2029 viewsDr_Winston

Bidwell's been no worse than average since the day he arrived. Sadly for too many simple thinkers average makes him the worst.

Decent player, always has been. Doing even better at LWB.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Jake Bidwell on 15:10 - Sep 13 with 1966 viewsNotLoyal

Excellent op by Bryn.
People talk about players who haven’t learned and developed under cooper and here we have a great example.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Jake Bidwell on 17:33 - Sep 13 with 1908 viewsCatullus

Jake Bidwell on 15:10 - Sep 13 by NotLoyal

Excellent op by Bryn.
People talk about players who haven’t learned and developed under cooper and here we have a great example.

I'm not sure about that, maybe it's just the case that the current formation is better for him?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Jake Bidwell on 18:44 - Sep 13 with 1881 viewsWhiterockin

Jake Bidwell on 17:33 - Sep 13 by Catullus

I'm not sure about that, maybe it's just the case that the current formation is better for him?

Better for Bidwell and Roberts.

Will be interesting if we get a center forward in. I assume a front three of Ayew, Lowe and new C/F. Back 5 picks itself so it will be 2 out of Grimes, Smith and Gibbs-White. Interesting times.
Jake Bidwell on 19:23 - Sep 13 with 1853 viewsNotLoyal

Jake Bidwell on 17:33 - Sep 13 by Catullus

So, Cooper has recognised his ability in that formation?
And utilised him to fit in through coaching throughout the week?
I'm assuming that's what happens 👀

OK I've changed it.

Jake Bidwell on 19:34 - Sep 13 with 1846 viewsKilkennyjack

Jake Bidwell on 12:04 - Sep 13 by Nortbankboy

Wing back suits Bidwell and roberts,but when we revert back to full backs their are poor when players run at them.
So I think this formation suits us away from home

I agree.

No chance he is the best left back in the League though.

Beware of the Risen People

Jake Bidwell on 19:40 - Sep 13 with 1843 viewsNotLoyal

Jake Bidwell on 19:34 - Sep 13 by Kilkennyjack

I agree.

No chance he is the best left back in the League though.

Who would even think that, possibly was the word used.
He is doing his job spot on in this formation, credit where it’s due 👍

Free transfer well spent.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2020 19:42]

OK I've changed it.

Jake Bidwell on 20:39 - Sep 13 with 1811 viewsKarlHRummenigge

Excellent, upbeat thread. Bidwell has been our Rock for some time and continues to grow under Cooper & Co's tutelage.

Perfect for our bold 352 set-up. And his fitness, along with Roberts' means we are a tough nut to crack when having to defend a lead.

Yesterday was a big test for Cooper - stick with his preferred 442(ish) or twist with the bold, ebullient 352. Delighted he took the bolder option and was a pleasure to watch the tactics unfold.

In this set-up Bidwell and Roberts are as core as our strong spine, both perfectly suited, both perfectly utilised.
Jake Bidwell on 21:46 - Sep 13 with 1778 viewsFireboy2

Will the 3 5 2 work at home against sides who will sit back and invite us?

This formation works away against side who press but as we know cooper struggles breaking teams down at home, I for one hope he has learnt lessons from last seasons home debacles.
Jake Bidwell on 23:03 - Sep 13 with 1740 viewsBadlands

Jake Bidwell on 20:39 - Sep 13 by KarlHRummenigge

Excellent, upbeat thread. Bidwell has been our Rock for some time and continues to grow under Cooper & Co's tutelage.

Perfect for our bold 352 set-up. And his fitness, along with Roberts' means we are a tough nut to crack when having to defend a lead.

Yesterday was a big test for Cooper - stick with his preferred 442(ish) or twist with the bold, ebullient 352. Delighted he took the bolder option and was a pleasure to watch the tactics unfold.

In this set-up Bidwell and Roberts are as core as our strong spine, both perfectly suited, both perfectly utilised.

Jake Bidwell a rock

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Jake Bidwell on 12:03 - Jan 3 with 1301 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Jake Bidwell on 23:03 - Sep 13 by Badlands

Jake Bidwell a rock

Yes he is. Even when switched to Central Defender with 5 minutes notice ! Roberts and Manning posed Watford headaches all game long - the excellent Korey Smith playing them in behind the Watford defence at will, hung them a torrid time. What a performance yesterday!

Jake Bidwell on 12:15 - Jan 3 with 1268 views34dfgdf54

Jake Bidwell on 12:03 - Jan 3 by Brynmill_Jack

Yes he is. Even when switched to Central Defender with 5 minutes notice ! Roberts and Manning posed Watford headaches all game long - the excellent Korey Smith playing them in behind the Watford defence at will, hung them a torrid time. What a performance yesterday!

He’s been outstanding.

His conditioning has improved ten fold and that’s testament to him. He must be on form to keep Manning out the team who also looks a very good player.
Jake Bidwell on 13:22 - Jan 3 with 1220 viewsDr_Winston

Along with Naughton he's one of those who is a consistent 7/10 in every game yet for reasons known only to them will always be a target for some.

For a freebie he's been a tremendous acquisition.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 13:22]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Jake Bidwell on 13:23 - Jan 3 with 1220 viewsFireboy2

Jake Bidwell on 12:15 - Jan 3 by 34dfgdf54

He’s been outstanding.

His conditioning has improved ten fold and that’s testament to him. He must be on form to keep Manning out the team who also looks a very good player.

Bidwell was nowhere near fit last season a deserved pelters, now he deserves praise because he fit and the 3 5 2 suits his game.
Jake Bidwell on 16:03 - Jan 3 with 1160 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Jake Bidwell on 13:22 - Jan 3 by Dr_Winston

Along with Naughton he's one of those who is a consistent 7/10 in every game yet for reasons known only to them will always be a target for some.

For a freebie he's been a tremendous acquisition.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2021 13:22]

Bidwell , Bennett and Corey Smith have been our biggest bargains since Roberto and Reeves were digging up gems . They’ve been superb this season, let’s hope they keep it going.

Jake Bidwell on 19:03 - Jan 3 with 1090 viewsNortbankboy

Jake Bidwell on 16:03 - Jan 3 by Brynmill_Jack

Bidwell , Bennett and Corey Smith have been our biggest bargains since Roberto and Reeves were digging up gems . They’ve been superb this season, let’s hope they keep it going.

Bid Well and Roberts play well as wing backs.
But when we go 4-4-2 and they are playing as full backs they are slow on the turn and vulnerable
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024