Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? 17:53 - Apr 18 with 4692 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I discovered earlier today that over 50% of Wales' players who featured in their most recent match against Czech Republic were not born in Wales.

Seven of the thirteen (54.8%) players were born in England. Not only that - these English footballers are limited in their talent and ability. England could put perhaps 20+ matchday squads together before some of these players would finally be considered for selection.

I read and hear a lot of non-Welsh football fans ridicule Wales as "England B", however quite frankly it is more like "England T" or "England U".

How many other international teams are this desperate? Perhaps Jamaica? Even the Scot's aren't this desperate (although their best player is English as well).

As someone who follows and supports both England and Wales, it doesn't really bother me. However I'd be interested to hear the opinions of those who regularly express a strong dislike of England. How can you justify your dislike of England when your national team (and club side) is dominated by English footballers?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 18:00 - Apr 18 with 3164 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Birth place is not the sole criterion of nationality nor should it be.

My wife was born in England and I often tease her that she’s English as a result. Her parents were both Welsh born and bred. All four of her grandparents were Welsh born and bred. She was born in England because her father was serving on a RAF base in England at the time. She considers herself very Welsh.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 18:35 - Apr 18 with 3132 viewsKeithHaynes

The Republic ?
Same. And at one point at their height had three Irishmen in the team.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 19:43 - Apr 18 with 3094 viewsReslovenSwan1

Clearly a pejorative banner headline. If they had no pride they would not turn up. It is not obligatory. It is time consuming and not something to take lightly.

A quick check. Of the thirteen that played a part.

6 born in Wales

4 one parent born in Wales

3 Grandparent born in Wales. Assumed Mepham, Moroe and James Lawrence.

England are doing well in finding top African youth talent. London born Nigierians in the main. Abraham, Nketia, Saka, Timori, Adarabayo, Guehi. Their underage teams are around 30% African Londoners.

Players from the French islands nomally do not chose Wales . Le Tissier Le Saux for example. I think to play for Wales as a non UK passport you need to prove 5 years schooling. Rhian Sterling for example.

Jay Da Silva who is hghly rated at Bristol City could play for Wales but has played all the age groups in England while his bother Cole has played the age groups for Wales. Jay is better than Cole but will probably never play for England. He will not be approached I suspect as Wales are well covered at wingback. However if he make the call he can put himself up for consideration.

Players like Dummett and Glyn (Boaz) Myhill were not that keen on being on the bench and retired. Glyn who was born in the US and raised in Oswestry came throught the English youth system . He got 19 caps behind Hennessey but retired missing the chance to play in Euro 2016 where Ward played when Hennessy was injured.

Most "Grand parent" Welsh players are no great shakes and can be replaced Moore is the best.

Woodburn is one of these but currently out of the squad and not performing to the required stadard.

I do not dislike English people but dislike English racists and will call them out.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 19:58 - Apr 18 with 3051 viewsonehunglow

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 19:43 - Apr 18 by ReslovenSwan1

Clearly a pejorative banner headline. If they had no pride they would not turn up. It is not obligatory. It is time consuming and not something to take lightly.

A quick check. Of the thirteen that played a part.

6 born in Wales

4 one parent born in Wales

3 Grandparent born in Wales. Assumed Mepham, Moroe and James Lawrence.

England are doing well in finding top African youth talent. London born Nigierians in the main. Abraham, Nketia, Saka, Timori, Adarabayo, Guehi. Their underage teams are around 30% African Londoners.

Players from the French islands nomally do not chose Wales . Le Tissier Le Saux for example. I think to play for Wales as a non UK passport you need to prove 5 years schooling. Rhian Sterling for example.

Jay Da Silva who is hghly rated at Bristol City could play for Wales but has played all the age groups in England while his bother Cole has played the age groups for Wales. Jay is better than Cole but will probably never play for England. He will not be approached I suspect as Wales are well covered at wingback. However if he make the call he can put himself up for consideration.

Players like Dummett and Glyn (Boaz) Myhill were not that keen on being on the bench and retired. Glyn who was born in the US and raised in Oswestry came throught the English youth system . He got 19 caps behind Hennessey but retired missing the chance to play in Euro 2016 where Ward played when Hennessy was injured.

Most "Grand parent" Welsh players are no great shakes and can be replaced Moore is the best.

Woodburn is one of these but currently out of the squad and not performing to the required stadard.

I do not dislike English people but dislike English racists and will call them out.

Do you dislike Welsh racist.

Shed full of them on here

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 20:21 - Apr 18 with 3054 viewsbuilthjack

" I support England and Wales " he says.

Depends who's winning I guess.
It's like the Man Utd/Swansea so called supporter. When the Swans were in the Premier they shut up about Man Utd. Then the Swans come down and it's all Man Utd.

We have all seen your lot before.
Swans go up and it's back to supporting the Swans.

[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 20:34]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 20:31 - Apr 18 with 3050 viewsChief

To the OPs question.

People enjoy being contrarian these days plus Swansea as a city has issues with the FAW / Wales team that it sees as Cardiff centric rightly or wrongly. All the things you've listed are factors added on top by such people who don't support the national team anyway. Purely fuel for people who are already detractors.

Personally, I'm Welsh so i support my national team. Supporting any other national team is at odds with the whole ethos of international competition.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 20:33 - Apr 18 with 3046 viewsTreforys_Jack

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 20:49 - Apr 18 with 3027 viewsjasper_T

No great mystery why a large % of our national side would be born in England, or why England would be able to field an alphabet of sides before picking some of our selected players. There's a massive difference in population (~18x), more employment opportunities drawing people over the border during their child-having years, much greater density of affluent clubs with academies providing greater access to football at a young age etc.

The FAW puts a lot of effort into identifying players with Welsh links early and getting them involved in camps either in North or South Wales. The Da Silva boys were definitely checked and approached very early on. Terry Taylor in the u21s is Scottish born and has the accent to show for it. But that work will naturally be focused on players already within the English football system. I'm sure there are cases of English-born players being shown favouritism and given more opportunities to progress in order to "lock them down" or develop their pride for their chosen country.

At least we're not naturalising random Brazilian players like some nations, eh.
Login to get fewer ads

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 23:15 - Apr 18 with 2955 viewscontroversial_jack

As far as i can remember, Swans fans haven't followed Wales in great numbers. Not sure why this is.
Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 23:33 - Apr 18 with 2939 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I wonder how the English media and English football supporters would react if the F.A started aggressively recruiting young French children to represent England at youth level in the hope that some of these young children will eventually become competent footballers not talented enough to ever have a chance of being called up to the French national team but may be good enough to warrant a place in a future England squad?

I'd imagine there would be uproar.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 23:55 - Apr 18 with 2925 viewsjasper_T

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 23:33 - Apr 18 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I wonder how the English media and English football supporters would react if the F.A started aggressively recruiting young French children to represent England at youth level in the hope that some of these young children will eventually become competent footballers not talented enough to ever have a chance of being called up to the French national team but may be good enough to warrant a place in a future England squad?

England have players not born in England representing them. France have players not born in France. Only uproar has been from the racists who get just as riled up about players who are born in those countries.

Is there a big pool of young players "not talented enough to ever have a chance of being called up to the French national team but may be good enough to warrant a place in a future England squad" in your mind? I remember a bit of blather about Manuel Almunia being called up by England once upon a time. But that's a bit different from the Wales situation where the players are UK nationals and qualify for Wales by the criteria the home nations mutually agreed upon for our national team setups.

Tivonge Rushesha was born in Zimbabwe but if he chooses to represent Wales down the line are you anticipating uproar? Or is this just an English thing for you?
Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 02:35 - Apr 19 with 2884 viewsTreforys_Jack

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 23:55 - Apr 18 by jasper_T

England have players not born in England representing them. France have players not born in France. Only uproar has been from the racists who get just as riled up about players who are born in those countries.

Is there a big pool of young players "not talented enough to ever have a chance of being called up to the French national team but may be good enough to warrant a place in a future England squad" in your mind? I remember a bit of blather about Manuel Almunia being called up by England once upon a time. But that's a bit different from the Wales situation where the players are UK nationals and qualify for Wales by the criteria the home nations mutually agreed upon for our national team setups.

Tivonge Rushesha was born in Zimbabwe but if he chooses to represent Wales down the line are you anticipating uproar? Or is this just an English thing for you?

This is just fathy on a fishing trip mun.
Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 07:24 - Apr 19 with 2828 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 23:33 - Apr 18 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

England have used at least 20 players who were not born in England including Sterling it has been going on for years. England have used many players born in caribbean countries who have not even had English parents or grandparents.

Other foriegn born players include Terry Butcher, plus a few players born in the Channel Islands a few South Africans. The ROi also frequently uses English born players .

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 08:02 - Apr 19 with 2809 viewsKeithHaynes

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 07:24 - Apr 19 by felixstowe_jack

England have used at least 20 players who were not born in England including Sterling it has been going on for years. England have used many players born in caribbean countries who have not even had English parents or grandparents.

Other foriegn born players include Terry Butcher, plus a few players born in the Channel Islands a few South Africans. The ROi also frequently uses English born players .

They’ve had players like Hargreaves, Barnes, Salako, Cyrillic Regis, Brian Stein, there’s loads of them.

Not forgetting Welsh born players. Rob Jones and a bloke called Green.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 08:36 - Apr 19 with 2792 viewsraynor94

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 20:31 - Apr 18 by Chief

To the OPs question.

People enjoy being contrarian these days plus Swansea as a city has issues with the FAW / Wales team that it sees as Cardiff centric rightly or wrongly. All the things you've listed are factors added on top by such people who don't support the national team anyway. Purely fuel for people who are already detractors.

Personally, I'm Welsh so i support my national team. Supporting any other national team is at odds with the whole ethos of international competition.

I'm British and for most of my life Wales have failed to qualify for any tournament.

It's not a case of supporting England but wanting them to win against Continental opposition, yes I'd want Wales to beat them if they met, but other than that I enjoy England doing well.

Same as I would for Scotland and N Ireland.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 08:44 - Apr 19 with 2789 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 08:02 - Apr 19 by KeithHaynes

They’ve had players like Hargreaves, Barnes, Salako, Cyrillic Regis, Brian Stein, there’s loads of them.

Not forgetting Welsh born players. Rob Jones and a bloke called Green.

Don't forget Michael Owen who has never lived in England at any time in his entire life still lives in his estate in North Wales and only qualified for England as there was no maternity hospital in North Wales so his mother had to go to Chester hospital.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 10:01 - Apr 19 with 2771 viewsChief

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 08:36 - Apr 19 by raynor94

I'm British and for most of my life Wales have failed to qualify for any tournament.

It's not a case of supporting England but wanting them to win against Continental opposition, yes I'd want Wales to beat them if they met, but other than that I enjoy England doing well.

Same as I would for Scotland and N Ireland.

So for you its about glory hunting then.

Latching onto other teams when they're doing better even though they are our competitors.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 10:04 - Apr 19 with 2765 viewsNotLoyal

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 08:44 - Apr 19 by felixstowe_jack

Don't forget Michael Owen who has never lived in England at any time in his entire life still lives in his estate in North Wales and only qualified for England as there was no maternity hospital in North Wales so his mother had to go to Chester hospital.

He had a good season once.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 10:13 - Apr 19 with 2743 viewsonehunglow

I used to be very anti En glish when it came to football but eventually realied it made me a narrow minded jerk.Supporting any team England were playing is really-well- dumb .

However the England rugby team i a different kettle of fish as I really do think the Players/Fans/Management are arrogant,deluded of grandeur and rather classless.

I would say the passion rugby players show blasts that of footballers.It's only fecently the players started mumbling the anthem. Most sickening time was Goggs mouthing some words during the anthem looking terrified at the same time.

Big dofference between being "welsh" and welsh qualified. Example,the great welshman Vincent Jones,captain of Wales. I rest my case.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 10:31 - Apr 19 with 2749 viewsraynor94

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 10:01 - Apr 19 by Chief

So for you its about glory hunting then.

Latching onto other teams when they're doing better even though they are our competitors.

No it's being British, and hoping the home Countries beat continental teams.

I don't know how old you are, but I can remember 1966 and everybody celebrating England winning the world cup

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 10:39 - Apr 19 with 2741 viewsChief

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 10:31 - Apr 19 by raynor94

No it's being British, and hoping the home Countries beat continental teams.

I don't know how old you are, but I can remember 1966 and everybody celebrating England winning the world cup

I don't understand it.

We have our own national football team that competes against every other national football team. Don't see the need to support anyone else because in footballing terms they are competitors.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:17 - Apr 19 with 2702 viewsLohengrin

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 10:39 - Apr 19 by Chief

I don't understand it.

We have our own national football team that competes against every other national football team. Don't see the need to support anyone else because in footballing terms they are competitors.

Cheering on a family member when you’re not competing yourself, what’s not to understand?

I can remember all of us in school rooting for Scotland in ‘78. It would have been odd not to.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:19 - Apr 19 with 2693 viewsbuilthjack

It was good enough for France when they last won the World Cup. 87% of their squad were either born outside France, or their parents were.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:28 - Apr 19 with 2697 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 10:39 - Apr 19 by Chief

I don't understand it.

Are you a "football" fan or a Swansea/Wales fan?
Do you watch any football other than Swansea and Wales?
Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:31 - Apr 19 with 2695 viewsLohengrin

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:19 - Apr 19 by builthjack

It was good enough for France when they last won the World Cup. 87% of their squad were either born outside France, or their parents were.

And didn’t we all laugh about that on here at the time?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024