Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mr Drakeford 21:39 - May 7 with 86450 viewsbuilthjack

👀
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 7:22]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Mr Drakeford on 23:05 - Mar 1 with 1343 viewsTenbySwan

Mr Drakeford on 20:58 - Mar 1 by Boundy

its 18 billion actually

The figure for both is 22billion. Also reported on BBC

https://nation.cymru/news/refurbishing-westminster-could-now-cost-22bn-the-same-
[Post edited 1 Mar 2022 23:07]
Mr Drakeford on 07:20 - Mar 2 with 1282 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Mr Drakeford on 23:05 - Mar 1 by TenbySwan

The figure for both is 22billion. Also reported on BBC

https://nation.cymru/news/refurbishing-westminster-could-now-cost-22bn-the-same-
[Post edited 1 Mar 2022 23:07]

So Wales annual block grant is even bigger. Shows how generous the UK government is.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Mr Drakeford on 09:27 - Mar 2 with 1261 viewsTenbySwan

Mr Drakeford on 07:20 - Mar 2 by felixstowe_jack

So Wales annual block grant is even bigger. Shows how generous the UK government is.

Yeah, yeah.
Mr Drakeford on 10:16 - Mar 2 with 1245 viewsBoundy

Mr Drakeford on 09:27 - Mar 2 by TenbySwan

Yeah, yeah.

You missed one yeah . Anyway your glorious leader will have at his disposal to waste an average of £18 billion per year in a Barnett-based funding representing a 2.6% rise in the Welsh Government’s budget each year. The Welsh Government will now receive around £120 per person for every £100 per person of equivalent UK Government spending in England.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-18-billion-a-year-for-wales-in-budget

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Mr Drakeford on 10:46 - Mar 2 with 1238 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Drakeford has agreed to PC demands to impose a 300% surcharge on second homes in Wales .
This totally ignores the fact that the housing shortage in Wales has been caused by.

1. Lack of new social housing being built by the Welsh Government. The Welsh Government is now building less social housing than before devolution.

2. Lack of action on EMPTY houses in Wales. There are more unoccupied or empty houses in Wales than second homes. The Welsh government has the power to offer grants to owners to put these houses on the rental market or refurbish them so they can be sold. The Welsh government also has the power to compulsory purchase these properties.

Mr Drakeford on 10:59 - Mar 2 with 1231 viewsBoundy

Mr Drakeford on 10:46 - Mar 2 by felixstowe_jack

Drakeford has agreed to PC demands to impose a 300% surcharge on second homes in Wales .
This totally ignores the fact that the housing shortage in Wales has been caused by.

1. Lack of new social housing being built by the Welsh Government. The Welsh Government is now building less social housing than before devolution.

2. Lack of action on EMPTY houses in Wales. There are more unoccupied or empty houses in Wales than second homes. The Welsh government has the power to offer grants to owners to put these houses on the rental market or refurbish them so they can be sold. The Welsh government also has the power to compulsory purchase these properties.

There's one house in my street which has been empty for 15 years , the council are aware as they billed the owner when some ridge tiles started to fall off into the neighbours garden, other than that no interest from them or the owner .
[Post edited 2 Mar 2022 11:00]

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Mr Drakeford on 12:55 - Mar 2 with 1203 viewsTenbySwan

If only we had a leader as competent and caring as Doris eh
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-60571426?at_custom4=BC02A82E-9960-1
Mr Drakeford on 13:01 - Mar 2 with 1199 viewsTenbySwan

The problem in Pembrokeshire is exasperated by second homes and buy to let for Air b and b

Young local.people have no chance with lixal.property prices now through a roof.

A.modest 3 bed bungalow has gone up to rent for 950 a month, almost 12k a year, local.people working in things like hospitality are priced out.

I agree we need more social housing, but that is nothing to do with devolution. It has been a problem since the 80s and no one has done anything about it since Thatcher sold them all off.

I cannot think of any empty.properties round here.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2022 14:32]
Login to get fewer ads

Mr Drakeford on 13:23 - Mar 2 with 1186 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

The second home surcharge can be avoided, my brother lives in Pembrokeshire and one house in his village is obviously a second home but in the name of the owners daughter who is in University in Nottingham.

If someone is retiring and trades down a house in the SE of England for a flat in England and a cottage in Wales, if they are retired which is their first home?

Messing about with taxation does not solve the problem, it just changes behaviour, always has and always will.

The solution that benefits us in Wales is to invest in the economy, attract business to help produce better paid jobs and build more affordable housing.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Mr Drakeford on 15:32 - Mar 2 with 1157 viewsFlashberryjack

Mr Drakeford on 13:23 - Mar 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

The second home surcharge can be avoided, my brother lives in Pembrokeshire and one house in his village is obviously a second home but in the name of the owners daughter who is in University in Nottingham.

If someone is retiring and trades down a house in the SE of England for a flat in England and a cottage in Wales, if they are retired which is their first home?

Messing about with taxation does not solve the problem, it just changes behaviour, always has and always will.

The solution that benefits us in Wales is to invest in the economy, attract business to help produce better paid jobs and build more affordable housing.

Better roads and infrastructure is the way to attract business and jobs to Wales, but it seems that's against Mr Drakeford' dynamic thinking.

It's because, there is very little industries in rural Wales is exactly what attracts people to buy second homes or older people buying them to either retire, or maybe planning retire.

Drakeford say's he wants to make Wales a country of refuge from all war/famine torn countries of the world, yet it seems other people of the UK are not welcome here, the guy is an utter disaster for Wales.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Mr Drakeford on 15:40 - Mar 2 with 1155 viewsCatullus

This money being spent on Westminster, it's a disgrace to me. I love history but I have never understood all this money being spent on ancient building to keep them in use when it's cheaper, safer and quicker to knock them down and have a new, purpose built version.

There's a heck of a lot that could be done with 22 billion. Sod the old building, flatten it and use it for affordable homes in London and build a modern parliament outside London, one fit for purpose in the digital age.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Mr Drakeford on 16:04 - Mar 2 with 1146 viewsTenbySwan

Mr Drakeford on 15:40 - Mar 2 by Catullus

This money being spent on Westminster, it's a disgrace to me. I love history but I have never understood all this money being spent on ancient building to keep them in use when it's cheaper, safer and quicker to knock them down and have a new, purpose built version.

There's a heck of a lot that could be done with 22 billion. Sod the old building, flatten it and use it for affordable homes in London and build a modern parliament outside London, one fit for purpose in the digital age.

I've advocated for years that the Palace of Westminster should be turned into a tourist attraction, much like the Tower of London.
It could have a hotel on the Upper Floors and be self financing for the refurbishment.

Build a new parliament in somewhere like Milton Keynes so that it is not such an old school tie establishment, where they might actually do some work and be less of a bearpit.
Mr Drakeford on 16:34 - Mar 2 with 1130 viewsWhiterockin

So would any property that you don't live in be classified as a second home. Example any property you rent out to holiday makers?
Mr Drakeford on 17:06 - Mar 2 with 1109 viewsFlashberryjack

Mr Drakeford on 16:34 - Mar 2 by Whiterockin

So would any property that you don't live in be classified as a second home. Example any property you rent out to holiday makers?

Good question.

What about MP's with homes in London and Wales.

Hello

Mr Drakeford on 17:22 - Mar 2 with 1104 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Would you include all the holiday accommodation including caravans, cabins, hotel rooms bed and breakfast establishments or are these places paying business rates and bringing much needed jobs and money to the Welsh economy.
Why not charge students in halls of residence and houses of multiple occupation as well.

270,000 people are employed in the Welsh tourist industry which makes up around 8% of the UK economy.

Lets kill of both the tourist industry and our universities everyone would have a home then even if they no longer have jobs.

Once again Drakeford who is anti business wants to hit people who provide jobs.
He has the power to raise income tax and the money raised could be used to build social housing .

Mr Drakeford on 17:35 - Mar 2 with 1087 viewsWhiterockin

Mr Drakeford on 17:22 - Mar 2 by felixstowe_jack

Would you include all the holiday accommodation including caravans, cabins, hotel rooms bed and breakfast establishments or are these places paying business rates and bringing much needed jobs and money to the Welsh economy.
Why not charge students in halls of residence and houses of multiple occupation as well.

270,000 people are employed in the Welsh tourist industry which makes up around 8% of the UK economy.

Lets kill of both the tourist industry and our universities everyone would have a home then even if they no longer have jobs.

He has the power to raise income tax and the money raised could be used to build social housing .

I really haven't a clue just asking the question. Otherwise you could just rent it out to yourself when you want to use it and save the extra tax.
Mr Drakeford on 17:41 - Mar 2 with 1083 viewsFlashberryjack

Mr Drakeford on 17:22 - Mar 2 by felixstowe_jack

Isn't he also planning to bring in a tourist tax, but to be fair, he does need the money to pay for the extra 20 to 30 new members of the senedd he's proposing.

The man is a f&cking idiot.

Hello

Mr Drakeford on 21:53 - Mar 2 with 1030 viewsmajorraglan

Generally, the owners of houses which are categorised as Holiday Lets or Holiday Cottages are classified as business premises and they are liable for Business Rates as opposed to Community Charge (or whatever it’s called). Business Rates are lower than Community Charge. Previously, some holiday home owners had their homes reclassified as Business Premises but never actually rented them out, these days the councils are far more intrusive and I believe there are rules about the number of weeks it has to be rented out for etc to retain eligibility for business rates, local authorities can also request proof to validate claims.

In terms of the tourist tax, I am not averse to the idea and loads of countries have already introduced them, including Japan, Spain, Malaysia, Switzerland, Caribbean destinations and they’ve even been introduced in the US. The key question for me would be how much is the actual tax? If it was something like 50p per person per night for a camping site, static caravan, bunk house or hostel and between 75p and £1 pppn fr a cottage, B&B or hotel I don’t think most people would quibble. I’d be totally against introducing Houston like tax rates of 17% on hotel bills.
Mr Drakeford on 22:04 - Mar 2 with 1015 viewsFlashberryjack

Mr Drakeford on 21:53 - Mar 2 by majorraglan

Generally, the owners of houses which are categorised as Holiday Lets or Holiday Cottages are classified as business premises and they are liable for Business Rates as opposed to Community Charge (or whatever it’s called). Business Rates are lower than Community Charge. Previously, some holiday home owners had their homes reclassified as Business Premises but never actually rented them out, these days the councils are far more intrusive and I believe there are rules about the number of weeks it has to be rented out for etc to retain eligibility for business rates, local authorities can also request proof to validate claims.

In terms of the tourist tax, I am not averse to the idea and loads of countries have already introduced them, including Japan, Spain, Malaysia, Switzerland, Caribbean destinations and they’ve even been introduced in the US. The key question for me would be how much is the actual tax? If it was something like 50p per person per night for a camping site, static caravan, bunk house or hostel and between 75p and £1 pppn fr a cottage, B&B or hotel I don’t think most people would quibble. I’d be totally against introducing Houston like tax rates of 17% on hotel bills.

Would the tourism tax apply to UK residents (England Scotland and NI) ?

The countries you name, Japan, Spain, Malaysia, Switzerland, Caribbean apply tourist tax to oversea visitors.

Wales relies heavily on tourism, a Welsh tourist tax would be a good advert to holiday somewhere else, I expect a lot of English wouldn't holiday in Wales on principle if nothing else.

Another of drakefords ill thought out ideas.

Hello

Mr Drakeford on 09:29 - Mar 3 with 977 viewsWhiterockin

Mr Drakeford on 21:53 - Mar 2 by majorraglan

Thank you for the explanation.
Mr Drakeford on 15:39 - Mar 3 with 943 viewscontroversial_jack

The costs will be pushed onto the tourists, who will willingly pay up. Better to go abroad than holiday here.
Mr Drakeford on 17:01 - Mar 3 with 916 viewsFlashberryjack

Mr Drakeford on 15:39 - Mar 3 by controversial_jack

The costs will be pushed onto the tourists, who will willingly pay up. Better to go abroad than holiday here.

I don't think tourists will willingly pay up, in fact I think they'll go elsewhere, even if it's just on principle alone, I know I will.

Hello

Mr Drakeford on 18:35 - Mar 3 with 895 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Mr Drakeford on 22:04 - Mar 2 by Flashberryjack

The countries you name, Japan, Spain, Malaysia, Switzerland, Caribbean apply tourist tax to oversea visitors.

Wales relies heavily on tourism, a Welsh tourist tax would be a good advert to holiday somewhere else, I expect a lot of English wouldn't holiday in Wales on principle if nothing else.

It would be illegal to impose it only on the English and Scottish it would have to be levied on everyone from the UK.

Mr Drakeford on 18:55 - Mar 3 with 877 viewsFlashberryjack

Mr Drakeford on 18:35 - Mar 3 by felixstowe_jack

It would be illegal to impose it only on the English and Scottish it would have to be levied on everyone from the UK.

It seem Drakeford makes his own laws, he is Wales' prime minister after all.

Hello

Mr Drakeford on 18:56 - Mar 3 with 876 viewsmajorraglan

Mr Drakeford on 22:04 - Mar 2 by Flashberryjack

I suppose we could just apply it to overseas visitors, but given the nature of our tourism which I suspect is mainly domestic to make it work it would have to be applied to all visitors - I don’t think we could legally differentiate Scottish but not English etc.

Some of the country’s only apply the charge to oversees tourists, for example Japan charge an exit fee at the airport, however your wrong about Spain everybody is liable to the charge including Spaniards. The charge can vary from location to location.

In some places the charge is substantial, for example in Houston it’s 17% of the hotel room rate, but if the rice s set at the right level I don’t think people would be too bothered. If for example it was 75p and adult and 50p per kid over 5 years of age, a family of 4 could be looking at an extra £2.50 per day or £17.50 per week, it will cost at least twice that to get your suitcase on a Ryanair flight.

Most countries use the money generated by tourism to improve the tourism infrastructure, I’d agree it’s that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024