Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Slabs v Decking 23:24 - Jul 31 with 1746 viewsJack123

Thinking of doing one or the other in the future!

I would think some ground would need to be built up, definitely for slabs, not sure how decking works, would it have to be laid on level ground, or can you raise it with timber?

Anyone experience with this, what's the difference price wise, slabs or decking? Also what lasts the longest?, I'm guessing slabs? Easiest to do etc.

libera nos a malo

Slabs v Decking on 23:32 - Jul 31 with 1735 viewsCatullus

In our last house the back garden is ona slope, we went for decking because it was easier. The guy built a frame to make it level, if we'd wanted slabs we'd have needed a digger, a retaining wall...a lot more work so more expensive.

It all depends on your budget and what you need I guess. The downside to decking is, it can be very slippery when wet.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Slabs v Decking on 23:50 - Jul 31 with 1722 viewsJack123

Slabs v Decking on 23:32 - Jul 31 by Catullus

In our last house the back garden is ona slope, we went for decking because it was easier. The guy built a frame to make it level, if we'd wanted slabs we'd have needed a digger, a retaining wall...a lot more work so more expensive.

It all depends on your budget and what you need I guess. The downside to decking is, it can be very slippery when wet.

Thanks cat.

That's what I was wondering, decking looks the cheaper option for me as well, because we would have to build up a couple of feet all around, and most prob a brick wall on outside to keep stone in..

May I ask, what range of price you paid , and how much area did it cover?

libera nos a malo

Slabs v Decking on 23:54 - Jul 31 with 1718 viewsmajorraglan

Slabs for me.

When we moved in to our house we had decking built in the garden. As the garden is flat, there was no need to build it up etc and it was a case of laying lengths of 6x2 or similar to create a frame, laying some membrane to stop the weeds coming through and then putting the planks and hand rails down. Looked nice to start off, but always needed pressure washing re algae, oiling and in this climate rot is an issue. We had wet rot in ours and had to change some of the planks. In the end we ripped it all out and got slabs in. I know a few who've had rats living under their decking, apparently they love it.

We ended up putting slabs down. I have a relative whose a builder type and he did it. First job was to put GSB down which was compacted with a whacker plate. He then put concrete on the GSB, this provides a solid base for the slabs, prevents future movement etc, subsidence and then he laid the slabs using cement. It probably cost more than decking, but it’s a lot less maintenance, the slabs only need a pressure wash now and again and they last longer.

All building materials have shot up in price and timber has gone mental. I know someone who bought roof trusses last year and it cost him £5k, exactly the same trusses from the same company are now selling for £12k.

Edit - I have jst seen your comment re building up the ground level, so I’d have thought decking may be cheaper for you.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2021 23:58]
Slabs v Decking on 00:10 - Aug 1 with 1693 viewstrampie

If it was me and if it was level ground then I would go for slabs, but since it's not then decking might work out cheaper.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2021 6:58]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Slabs v Decking on 00:16 - Aug 1 with 1690 viewsKilkennyjack

Slabs v Decking on 23:32 - Jul 31 by Catullus

Life tip - use decking in dry when sun is out, and not in winter when its wet and cold.

Sharpen yourself up mun.

Beware of the Risen People

Slabs v Decking on 00:21 - Aug 1 with 1692 viewsJack123

Slabs v Decking on 23:54 - Jul 31 by majorraglan

Slabs for me.

When we moved in to our house we had decking built in the garden. As the garden is flat, there was no need to build it up etc and it was a case of laying lengths of 6x2 or similar to create a frame, laying some membrane to stop the weeds coming through and then putting the planks and hand rails down. Looked nice to start off, but always needed pressure washing re algae, oiling and in this climate rot is an issue. We had wet rot in ours and had to change some of the planks. In the end we ripped it all out and got slabs in. I know a few who've had rats living under their decking, apparently they love it.

We ended up putting slabs down. I have a relative whose a builder type and he did it. First job was to put GSB down which was compacted with a whacker plate. He then put concrete on the GSB, this provides a solid base for the slabs, prevents future movement etc, subsidence and then he laid the slabs using cement. It probably cost more than decking, but it’s a lot less maintenance, the slabs only need a pressure wash now and again and they last longer.

All building materials have shot up in price and timber has gone mental. I know someone who bought roof trusses last year and it cost him £5k, exactly the same trusses from the same company are now selling for £12k.

Edit - I have jst seen your comment re building up the ground level, so I’d have thought decking may be cheaper for you.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading that, very well put.

libera nos a malo

Slabs v Decking on 07:25 - Aug 1 with 1620 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Slabs v Decking on 23:54 - Jul 31 by majorraglan

Slabs for me.

What this gentleman says. Rats also like nesting underneath decking and it’s also dangerously slippery in this climate. And it rots

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Slabs v Decking on 08:38 - Aug 1 with 1589 viewsBoundy

Slabs v Decking on 07:25 - Aug 1 by Brynmill_Jack

What this gentleman says. Rats also like nesting underneath decking and it’s also dangerously slippery in this climate. And it rots

Rats live everywhere although I wouldn't want them that close to my property ( the rat population is now becoming a serious problem ) Composite decking boards can eliminate the slip hazard , but can be expensive but outlive wood by a considerable margin or lay heavy gauge polyethene sheeting down over the wood decking with slits cuts for drainage and then lay artificial grass on top ,.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Login to get fewer ads

Slabs v Decking on 11:30 - Aug 1 with 1510 viewsmax936

Slabs v Decking on 23:50 - Jul 31 by Jack123

Thanks cat.

That's what I was wondering, decking looks the cheaper option for me as well, because we would have to build up a couple of feet all around, and most prob a brick wall on outside to keep stone in..

Do half and half mun, like chips and rice with a curry mun

On a serious note the price of materials has gone ridiculous, if you choose Decking it can get extremely slippery over time, not sure on how well the decking planks with nonslip covering on them work.

Note to self read all the thread before commenting,
[Post edited 1 Aug 2021 11:34]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Slabs v Decking on 11:45 - Aug 1 with 1501 viewsbuilthjack

Slabs v Decking on 11:30 - Aug 1 by max936

Do half and half mun, like chips and rice with a curry mun

On a serious note the price of materials has gone ridiculous, if you choose Decking it can get extremely slippery over time, not sure on how well the decking planks with nonslip covering on them work.

Note to self read all the thread before commenting,
[Post edited 1 Aug 2021 11:34]

Chicken wire wire solves the problem lol.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Slabs v Decking on 11:58 - Aug 1 with 1497 viewsCatullus

Slabs v Decking on 23:50 - Jul 31 by Jack123

Thanks cat.

That's a good question! I'm not sure it'll help because our garden was quite steep and needed a lot of wood for the frame and we had steps down to the lower part done with another small piece of decking for a rotary washing line, even then it was 8 years ago and prices will have changed, wood is quite expensive right now. From memory it was £1100 with the main decking being 13ft by 12ft and the smaller bit being 8ft square.

Right now we are having someone build a fence for us, the back third of our garden is open now because we had to cut down a row of conifers, they'd gotten out of control, roots were displacing the path, the previous owner had let them go. We had a price 2 months back, £715 but the price of wood has gone up a lot since then and we have a different person coming next week, the price is now £990 for a 40ft long by 8ft high fence. Wood aint cheap!

Edit, I need to add though we didn't get rats, I didn't maintain it very well and it bacame dangerously slippy and the week we moved out one of the boards gave way, it had rotted from underneath.
Knowing what I know now I think I'd have saved a bit longer and gone for the slabs to be honest. They last longer. Our current home has a small slabbed area 12 by 6ft and all I need is a dutch hoe and some weedkiller. The lawn is much more work!
[Post edited 1 Aug 2021 12:09]

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Slabs v Decking on 13:19 - Aug 1 with 1459 viewsJack123

Slabs v Decking on 11:58 - Aug 1 by Catullus

That's a good question! I'm not sure it'll help because our garden was quite steep and needed a lot of wood for the frame and we had steps down to the lower part done with another small piece of decking for a rotary washing line, even then it was 8 years ago and prices will have changed, wood is quite expensive right now. From memory it was £1100 with the main decking being 13ft by 12ft and the smaller bit being 8ft square.

Right now we are having someone build a fence for us, the back third of our garden is open now because we had to cut down a row of conifers, they'd gotten out of control, roots were displacing the path, the previous owner had let them go. We had a price 2 months back, £715 but the price of wood has gone up a lot since then and we have a different person coming next week, the price is now £990 for a 40ft long by 8ft high fence. Wood aint cheap!

Edit, I need to add though we didn't get rats, I didn't maintain it very well and it bacame dangerously slippy and the week we moved out one of the boards gave way, it had rotted from underneath.
Knowing what I know now I think I'd have saved a bit longer and gone for the slabs to be honest. They last longer. Our current home has a small slabbed area 12 by 6ft and all I need is a dutch hoe and some weedkiller. The lawn is much more work!
[Post edited 1 Aug 2021 12:09]

Thanks, bloody hell I didn't expect it to be that expensive! Ha ha I had a figure in my head of around 200 quid tops, ah well.

libera nos a malo

Slabs v Decking on 16:21 - Aug 1 with 1400 viewsFlashberryjack

Decking is a natural home for rats, slabs every time.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Slabs v Decking on 20:10 - Aug 1 with 1355 viewsCatullus

Slabs v Decking on 13:19 - Aug 1 by Jack123

Thanks, bloody hell I didn't expect it to be that expensive! Ha ha I had a figure in my head of around 200 quid tops, ah well.

The wood alone may well cost a lot more than that! Depends on the size you want.

If you're handy yourself you could save a lot but the wood will still be pricey.

Slabs v Decking on 20:20 - Aug 1 with 1345 viewsTreforys_Jack

Slabs v Decking on 13:19 - Aug 1 by Jack123

£200 tops ffs, you've not had any work done before then.
Slabs v Decking on 21:41 - Aug 1 with 1322 viewsJack123

Slabs v Decking on 20:20 - Aug 1 by Treforys_Jack

£200 tops ffs, you've not had any work done before then.

Not this kind of work, NO, hence the question.

libera nos a malo

Slabs v Decking on 22:04 - Aug 1 with 1301 viewsJack123

Slabs v Decking on 20:10 - Aug 1 by Catullus

The wood alone may well cost a lot more than that! Depends on the size you want.

If you're handy yourself you could save a lot but the wood will still be pricey.

Thanks, think if I do go for it, I will go for the slab option, quick calculations looking at a builders merchants seems it would be half the price, apart from that I don't like rats, so I'll skip the decking, I'd have a go at the slabbing myself, and all the prep work, but I wouldn't fancy trying to build a small wall to hold the stone in.

libera nos a malo

Slabs v Decking on 22:14 - Aug 1 with 1294 viewsmajorraglan

Slabs v Decking on 21:41 - Aug 1 by Jack123

Not this kind of work, NO, hence the question.

A 3.6m long x 140mm wide will cost you £14 in Wickes, if you’re gong to put a table and chairs on then Id say 3.6m is the minimum length you’d need, you may even need to got for the next size up which is 4.8m or 15ft 5, they are £18 a pop. For a piece of decking 15ft by 10ft that’s a minimum f £280 or £360 for the larger planks an£ you’ll need to factor in the timber subframe etc.

Measure up and you’ll be surprised how quick this will add up. Decking boards are about 3 to 4 times more expensive than they were 4 years ago, most of the increase has been in the last 12 months. If you can hold off I would until costs come back down.

https://www.homehow.co.uk/costs/garden-decking
Slabs v Decking on 17:20 - Aug 2 with 1183 viewsCountyJim

We had decking put down we was advised that the floor you should have the grooves underneath easier to treat

Whole job cost us 4.2 k fitted
[url= https://ibb.co/qJbBkpJ][img] https://i.ibb.co/MBqnM7B/IMG-20210402-WA0007.jpg[/img][/url]
Slabs v Decking on 17:22 - Aug 2 with 1181 viewsCountyJim

[url= https://ibb.co/7NDyr0g][img] https://i.ibb.co/h1N82TX/IMG-20210331-WA0020.jpg[/img][/url]
Slabs v Decking on 23:37 - Aug 2 with 1140 viewsKeithHaynes

I put slabs down last year and this year put decking on top.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Slabs v Decking on 09:33 - Aug 3 with 1066 viewsCatullus

Slabs v Decking on 23:37 - Aug 2 by KeithHaynes

I put slabs down last year and this year put decking on top.

And next year, are you putting artificial grass on top?

Slabs v Decking on 20:12 - Aug 3 with 1018 viewsKeithHaynes

Slabs v Decking on 09:33 - Aug 3 by Catullus

And next year, are you putting artificial grass on top?

Probably not 😂

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Slabs v Decking on 22:02 - Aug 3 with 984 viewsFlashberryjack

Having our patio re-slabbed, slabs =£650.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Slabs v Decking on 06:37 - Aug 4 with 928 viewsfbreath

Slabs v Decking on 22:02 - Aug 3 by Flashberryjack

Having our patio re-slabbed, slabs =£650.

How many slabs did you get for your £650 and what kind of slabs as there are a wide range of slabs available from cheap to expensive depending on the material

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024