Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round 11:18 - Sep 20 with 11135 viewsNotLoyal

Radio 5 LIVE & Radio Wales in certain areas will have coverage, as will Sky Sports TV LIVE but they are not covering this game. Sky Sports News have a programme covering the goals as they go in. Quest TV Highlights 10:30pm-12:00am.

Supporters latest : All match, season and away ticket holders aged 18 and over will need to be able to produce an NHS COVID pass or an NHS digital pass of a negative lateral flow test alongside photographic ID on request.

WHERE IS THE ERROR IN THIS THREAD ?

Not Loyal’s Brighton review
Russel Martin is from Brighton, personally I would have kept that one quiet. When Graham Potter was at Swansea he wasn’t there for very long due to the fact he wanted to go to the premier league. Problem was he couldn’t take Swansea back there so he jumped in someone else’s grave making it easier. Brighton is by the sea, so is Swansea, they have seagulls we have sea swans which live on the rocks in Gower. Sometimes when they are not there they don’t. Brighton is famous for ? Well, the most famous thing is in 1974 ABBA won the Euros there against Waterloo, they played in the old Brighton Dome winning without the need for extra time.

Brighton has North Laines to visit, here you can buy all sorts of crap that because it’s here can be sold for loads of money. See, it’s trendy in Brighton, and the more money you mugs spend the trendier it becomes.

The real losers in Brighton are Peter and the Test tube babies, what a fat bastard Peter is,the caravan dwelling moon pig. Why the hell they still bother I just don’t know. They may as well just sit on the beach naked. I mean being in a band for 43 years is hardly big or clever eh ?

Expect changes tonight for Swansea City in the league cup : Jurgen Locadia to return for Brighton 22nd Sep 2021 16:06
Once again Swansea City are the sole Wales representatives in a major cup competition and once again the expectation is that this will be their final game in this years league cup. Travelling to Brighton with some confidence gained from a fighting performance at Luton on Saturday, the swans will make several changes so players can be rested for Saturdays home game with Huddersfield Town. 0

Brighton: Jayson Steele (capt), Tariq Lamptey, Ed Turns, Haydon Roberts, Dan Burn, Steven Alzate, Jakob Moder, Ennock Mwepu, Alexis Macallister, Aaron Connolly, Taylor Richards.

Subs: Marc Leonard, Pascal Gross, Jeremy Sarmiento, Jurgen Locadia, James Furlong, Oddell Offiah, Kjel Scherpen.

Swansea City: Steven Benda, Ben Cabango, Brandon Cooper, Rhys Williams, Joel Latibeaudiere, Jay Fulton (capt), Korey Smith, Liam Walsh, Jake Bidwell, Liam Cullen, Morgan Whittaker.

Subs: Lewis Webb, Tivonge Rushesa, Ethan Laird, Ryan Manning, Flynn Downes, Yan Dhanda, Joel Piroe.

Too many changes mean Swansea City are out of the League Cup at Brighton 22nd Sep 2021 22:22
Changes were expected from swans manager Russell Martin tonight, but the amount of changes and it has to be said players starting out of position seemed to be the downfall at the Amex stadium in Sussex. 0

Brighton v Swansea City League Cup Third Round Gallery 22nd Sep 2021 22:47
Here are just some of our shots from the game between Brighton and Swansea City at the Amex in the League Cup third round. We hope you like this feature. 0

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 00:48 - Sep 23 with 1321 viewsDr_Parnassus

And for the avoidance of doubt:-

Not a single player from the regular Premier League side played against us. Lamptey may get some game time when he’s fully back from injury, that’s about it.

……

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 00:58 - Sep 23 with 1310 viewsDr_Parnassus

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 22:37 - Sep 22 by londonlisa2001

Why on earth did we make so many changes?

It’s hardly as if we are protecting our league position. Some of our ‘first string’ desperately need match time and partnerships need work.

Don’t get it.

I missed this comment although also said it in my summary, we are certainly often on the same page when it comes to football.

It feels like such a wasted opportunity. A chance to get to the 4th round of the Cup against a complete Brighton reserve team.

I said a few weeks ago, if we aren’t going for promotion this year (we clearly aren’t), and we aren’t going to get relegated (we are told we aren’t) then cups should be the focus. We get to play other teams that aren’t taking it as seriously and we can go deep and use the money wisely. It’s a bit of a unique opportunity for us to give everything to the Cups as usually we are fighting for something in the league.

I am baffled to why we chucked the cup away so meekly.

I am not buying the fitness and working out partnerships excuse anymore (not that I did anyway), this was perfect opportunity for our strongest XI to get another 90 mins under their belts together if there genuinely was a desire for that. That excuse will no longer wash.

I can only assume Russell may be fearing for a relegation battle, and if so that’s a concern in itself. I really am not liking the messages and ‘body language’ coming from the club at the moment. And you have to be blind not to see them… or in the case of a certain few, intentionally looking the other way.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2021 4:41]

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 07:27 - Sep 23 with 1177 viewsswan_si

It's as if Martin instructed his player to aim for the woodwork and not to score.
Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:17 - Sep 23 with 1116 viewsDr_Parnassus

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 07:27 - Sep 23 by swan_si

It's as if Martin instructed his player to aim for the woodwork and not to score.

Don't think anyone is suggesting that.

It's not like Bob Bradley used to tell the team to go out and be inept either.

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:35 - Sep 23 with 1103 viewsThornburyswan

Not sure I see much wrong with last nights match, two B sides played out a reasonable level game & the better B side won - on a good night we might have taken a couple of our chances & taken it to penalties I guess.

Understand why some would have preferred a stronger side but noting our most likely goal scorers - Piroe & maybe Ntcham - will need a break now & again particularly noting their limited pre-season. In reality we were not going to win this competition - only Prem B sides have won it this century - so for me Saturday is far more important.
Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:54 - Sep 23 with 1068 viewsDr_Parnassus

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:35 - Sep 23 by Thornburyswan

Not sure I see much wrong with last nights match, two B sides played out a reasonable level game & the better B side won - on a good night we might have taken a couple of our chances & taken it to penalties I guess.

Understand why some would have preferred a stronger side but noting our most likely goal scorers - Piroe & maybe Ntcham - will need a break now & again particularly noting their limited pre-season. In reality we were not going to win this competition - only Prem B sides have won it this century - so for me Saturday is far more important.

I know it was a weakened side for us, but B side? A lot of these players will be involved in our match day plans, many from the start.

Swansea starting XI league appearances:-

Benda (5 appearances)
Williams (2 appearances)
Cooper (4 appearances)
Cabango (6 appearances)
Bidwell (6 appearances)
Fulton (3 appearances)
Walsh (2 appearances - been injured)
Latti (5 appearances)
Whittaker (3 appearances)
Cullen (5 appearances)
Smith (1 start then got injured)

41 appearances, 31 starts.

Brighton

Steele (0 appearances)
Lamptey (0 appearances - been injured)
Turns (0 appearances)
Roberts (0 appearances)
Burn (1 appearance)
Richards (1 appearance)
Alzate (1 appearance)
Leonard (0 appearances)
Connolly (1 appearance)
Mac Allister (4 appearances)
Moder (5 appearances)

13 appearances - 2 starts.

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 09:55 - Sep 23 with 1000 viewsonehunglow

Let' s face it. Russ doesnt know what to do with the players let alone foresee what position we might end up in.
He says he didnt have a pre-season,has /had injured sick players and a plethora of other excuses for that is what they are.

We are utterly clueless in front of goals. He s been there long enough to addresss that. That would mean Cullen having his contract terminated or simply given away to someone and letting Whittaker develop.There is s decent striker in there but he wont see it.

We have players looking for match fitness and he benches them all.

Friends,we really should be worried as we are giving this chap the keys of our club for the foreseeable future. By now ,we should have seen improvement .Sorry but we have not. Last win against Plymouth in the EFL cup. It's where we are.

Brighton shows what a modest sized club can do with owners who have clout and a real vision couple with ambition.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 09:59 - Sep 23 with 994 viewsonehunglow

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 00:43 - Sep 23 by Dr_Parnassus

I echo the comments of Lisa, chief and co.

1) it’s extremely disingenuous to suggest we were beaten by a team 4th in the Premier League.

By a reserve team of a club 4th in the Premier League? Sure. This is the disingenuous stuff that I think is grating on people. Why frame it in such a false way? Be honest about things.

2) Unless Martin is expecting a relegation scrap then why on earth didn’t we play a stronger side. If we really are in a rebuild then all cash is vital for strengthening as we go along the process. Seems such a weak way to get out of what can be a lucrative competition.

3) I also echo the comment regarding quickly going from “we won, but” and thinking of all the obscure reasons why we won other than us deserving to, to “we lost… but” and thinking of all the obscure reasons why, other than we deserved to.

There seems an excuse for absolutely everything. It’s a dangerous environment to create in a sports team and I hope to God that isn’t permeating the group, although with Martin’s comments surrounding finishing positions ringing in their ears, I can’t say I’m confident about that.

4) I am also noticing a theme that whenever these happy clappers start realising things may not be as they wish to present, they immediately go on attack mode, pointing the finger at those correctly concerned at our results and accusing them of “enjoying it”. I’m sure we will be seeing more and more of that. Keep your eyes out for it, it’s like clockwork.

Onto Huddersfield then.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2021 1:35]

It is simply sickening to see us fall for this guff from Russ.

So Huddersfield is the game that will see us give someone a shoeing then.

Last season they were seen as an easy game and they turned us over twice .We do not learn

Winston and Fireboy finally tie the knot then.

Login to get fewer ads

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 10:19 - Sep 23 with 991 viewssw02sea

Having watched the extended highlights, we seemed to move the ball forwards quicker, but yet again we are giving the ball away playing out from the back, with players who aren’t adept enough to carry out Martin’s master plan. Also worrying if RM rates Cullen, a very hard tryer but div 2 or 1 at best. One minute he’s saying players aren’t fit, then he’s not giving them pitch time to do so. This competition is ideal for that purpose, We are shipping goals at an alarming rate, and don’t look confident at the back. At this moment RM talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk. He reminds me of a secondhand car salesman trying to sell you a duff motor.
Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 10:33 - Sep 23 with 951 viewsonehunglow

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 10:19 - Sep 23 by sw02sea

Having watched the extended highlights, we seemed to move the ball forwards quicker, but yet again we are giving the ball away playing out from the back, with players who aren’t adept enough to carry out Martin’s master plan. Also worrying if RM rates Cullen, a very hard tryer but div 2 or 1 at best. One minute he’s saying players aren’t fit, then he’s not giving them pitch time to do so. This competition is ideal for that purpose, We are shipping goals at an alarming rate, and don’t look confident at the back. At this moment RM talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk. He reminds me of a secondhand car salesman trying to sell you a duff motor.

So DON'T play it out from the back.

Don't put defenders under pressure when they have just cleared the danger. FFS

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 12:41 - Sep 23 with 895 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:54 - Sep 23 by Dr_Parnassus

I know it was a weakened side for us, but B side? A lot of these players will be involved in our match day plans, many from the start.

Benda (5 appearances)
Williams (2 appearances)
Cooper (4 appearances)
Cabango (6 appearances)
Bidwell (6 appearances)
Fulton (3 appearances)
Latti (5 appearances)
Cullen (5 appearances)

Brighton

Steele (0 appearances)
Turns (0 appearances)
Roberts (0 appearances)
Burn (1 appearance)
Richards (1 appearance)
Alzate (1 appearance)
Leonard (0 appearances)
Connolly (1 appearance)
Moder (5 appearances)

Does a Championship player = a Premier Reserve player?
Could any of our first choice players get in to Brighton's Squad?
Practically all of our "premier level" players have been sold off.
Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 12:49 - Sep 23 with 890 viewsvetchonian

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 21:05 - Sep 22 by Badlands

Better balance in defence with a left footer on the left.
Brighton easing up a bit.
Too many wasted chance from us.

I cannot understand why Martin set up the back 3 as he did, Cabango is right footed and usually palys on the right side and Williams played on the left hand side of the defense last season for Liverpool....but we have to to trust him

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 12:50 - Sep 23 with 877 viewsonehunglow

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 12:49 - Sep 23 by vetchonian

I cannot understand why Martin set up the back 3 as he did, Cabango is right footed and usually palys on the right side and Williams played on the left hand side of the defense last season for Liverpool....but we have to to trust him

No,we HOPE .

When would we accept he got it wrong.

Few signs of us actually winning right now

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 13:36 - Sep 23 with 833 viewsDr_Parnassus

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 12:41 - Sep 23 by A_Fans_Dad

Does a Championship player = a Premier Reserve player?
Could any of our first choice players get in to Brighton's Squad?
Practically all of our "premier level" players have been sold off.

I would say certainly.

Half that team are 18/19/20 years old academy products with almost zero experience. If they got relegated, I can’t imagine too many of them would be in the match day squad, let alone the starting 11.

If there was a combined 22 of their starting 11 and ours, I can guarantee you that the starting team would essentially be our one, barring maybe 3 (Lamptey, Moder and Mac Allister)… maybe Connolly.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2021 17:11]

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 13:43 - Sep 23 with 835 viewsjasper_T

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 12:49 - Sep 23 by vetchonian

We made a mistake bringing in another slow right-footer when we badly needed a left-side option. Martin's going to have to keep shuffling players around and hope one settles into it. Williams and Cabango have struggled on both sides.

Cooper had another decent game. Should be a regular in the league.
Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 18:37 - Sep 23 with 709 viewsWalterBoyd

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 13:43 - Sep 23 by jasper_T

We made a mistake bringing in another slow right-footer when we badly needed a left-side option. Martin's going to have to keep shuffling players around and hope one settles into it. Williams and Cabango have struggled on both sides.

Cooper had another decent game. Should be a regular in the league.

Cooper has impressed me.

Russ was praising Cullen and Walsh, I just don't see it myself.

Looking forward to getting our best 11 on the pitch and hopefully a win.
Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:33 - Sep 24 with 531 viewsjackrmee

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 20:32 - Sep 22 by onehunglow

Strange he did ok at a much higher level at Liverpool.

Yeah he did really well in big matches.

Thing is, that was part of a back 4.
He's got to play a different way for us.

Maybe it wasn't the greatest signing, due to him not being versed in playing our way, but worth the risk, as he is obviously a very talented lad and both clubs thought it would be good for him to learn our way. Hopefully he will learn sooner rather than later.

It's not the worst thing in the world though, as we have loads of CBs.
I'm pretty confident we can get 3 of them playing decent football together. May take longer than hoped, but there is a good mix of youth and experience there.
We will be fine.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:35 - Sep 24 with 531 viewsjackrmee

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 20:51 - Sep 22 by onehunglow

Well,not long ago our positions were reversed and they are now well set.

Contrast is stark indeed.

Exactly. Brighton have identified how they want to play. Had the courage to back a completely different manager, and give him time to implement what he wants to do.

Maybe this is what we need to do, ya think?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:38 - Sep 24 with 531 viewsjackrmee

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 00:58 - Sep 23 by Dr_Parnassus

I missed this comment although also said it in my summary, we are certainly often on the same page when it comes to football.

It feels like such a wasted opportunity. A chance to get to the 4th round of the Cup against a complete Brighton reserve team.

I said a few weeks ago, if we aren’t going for promotion this year (we clearly aren’t), and we aren’t going to get relegated (we are told we aren’t) then cups should be the focus. We get to play other teams that aren’t taking it as seriously and we can go deep and use the money wisely. It’s a bit of a unique opportunity for us to give everything to the Cups as usually we are fighting for something in the league.

I am not buying the fitness and working out partnerships excuse anymore (not that I did anyway), this was perfect opportunity for our strongest XI to get another 90 mins under their belts together if there genuinely was a desire for that. That excuse will no longer wash.

I can only assume Russell may be fearing for a relegation battle, and if so that’s a concern in itself. I really am not liking the messages and ‘body language’ coming from the club at the moment. And you have to be blind not to see them… or in the case of a certain few, intentionally looking the other way.

I we had put our best team out, I'm sure there would have been plenty of the Martin haters saying that he is totally inept, as we need to keep the best players for the league. Cups aren't important blah blah blah.

Whitakker deserves to get game time. It's disgusting that this boy is being ignored after his hattrick. etc etc etc....

Russell Martin can't win.

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:42 - Sep 24 with 530 viewsjackrmee

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:54 - Sep 23 by Dr_Parnassus

Benda (5 appearances)
Williams (2 appearances)
Cooper (4 appearances)
Cabango (6 appearances)
Bidwell (6 appearances)
Fulton (3 appearances)
Latti (5 appearances)
Cullen (5 appearances)

Brighton

Steele (0 appearances)
Turns (0 appearances)
Roberts (0 appearances)
Burn (1 appearance)
Richards (1 appearance)
Alzate (1 appearance)
Leonard (0 appearances)
Connolly (1 appearance)
Moder (5 appearances)

Na mate, hardly any o them are going to start in our first XI in the next coupe of games.

Williams probably.
Cabango maybe.
Bidwell hopefully, but hasn't been recently.
Walsh maybe in time, but not yet.

The rest haven't been starting recently at all.
None of those players are assured starters.

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:44 - Sep 24 with 530 viewsBadlands

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 00:58 - Sep 23 by Dr_Parnassus

6 points off the play offs and 38 games to go.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:48 - Sep 24 with 530 viewsjackrmee

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 09:55 - Sep 23 by onehunglow

Let' s face it. Russ doesnt know what to do with the players let alone foresee what position we might end up in.
He says he didnt have a pre-season,has /had injured sick players and a plethora of other excuses for that is what they are.

We are utterly clueless in front of goals. He s been there long enough to addresss that. That would mean Cullen having his contract terminated or simply given away to someone and letting Whittaker develop.There is s decent striker in there but he wont see it.

We have players looking for match fitness and he benches them all.

Friends,we really should be worried as we are giving this chap the keys of our club for the foreseeable future. By now ,we should have seen improvement .Sorry but we have not. Last win against Plymouth in the EFL cup. It's where we are.

Brighton shows what a modest sized club can do with owners who have clout and a real vision couple with ambition.

You've been crying for weeks about Whittaker not being given a chance.
He puts him in the team and you start going on about him benching other players. Mad.

You want the club to terminate the contract of a decent, young, local player in Cullen.
Sack the kid? Wow.

Yes, Brighton do show what a club like us can do.
We don't have the money available that they are spending, but we are heading in the right direction with out managerial appointments and the way we are trying to move forwards.
They even took their manager off us, which shows we were ahead of them with these ideas.
We do have that vision. Hopefully Russell Martin can do what Potter managed to do when he first came here, without getting poached.

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 09:02 - Sep 24 with 517 viewsDr_Parnassus

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:42 - Sep 24 by jackrmee

Na mate, hardly any o them are going to start in our first XI in the next coupe of games.

Williams probably.
Cabango maybe.
Bidwell hopefully, but hasn't been recently.
Walsh maybe in time, but not yet.

The rest haven't been starting recently at all.
None of those players are assured starters.

I disagree.

Benda
Williams
Cabango
Bidwell
Walsh
Cooper

All the above can reasonably believe they will be starting the next game or the one after, or at least in with a great chance to.

Lati
Cullen
Fulton
Smith

All the above can reasonably believe they will play some part, may even get a start.

Whittaker is the only one who seems to be in limbo with genuinely no idea whether he will play any part.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2021 9:18]

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 09:04 - Sep 24 with 512 viewsDr_Parnassus

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:38 - Sep 24 by jackrmee

I we had put our best team out, I'm sure there would have been plenty of the Martin haters saying that he is totally inept, as we need to keep the best players for the league. Cups aren't important blah blah blah.

Whitakker deserves to get game time. It's disgusting that this boy is being ignored after his hattrick. etc etc etc....

I don’t agree.

I said weeks ago that the cups should be the focus if we are looking for a rebuild. I can’t think of too many people that were happy seeing the line up and would certainly prefer a game where we use the strongest team possible.

Russell can win, by winning. It really is that simple.

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:34 - Sep 25 with 431 viewsvetchonian

Brighton v Swansea City : Matchday Thread League Cup third round TEAMS on 08:38 - Sep 24 by jackrmee

Not far wrong there his side lost and drew more than win last season too

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024