Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Emma Raducanu 23:55 - Nov 9 with 2479 viewsDr_Parnassus

International break so time to update this one. 3 tournaments since the US Open have looked like this:-

- Yesterday lost in her first round in the Linz Open to world number 101, Wang Xinyu. Losing first set 6-1.

- Prior to that managed to navigate 2 rounds before getting demolished to 19 year old world number 50, Marta Kostyuk. 6-2, 6-1.

- Prior to that lost in her first round against world number 100 in straight sets at Indian Wells.

As I was saying at the time. Comparisons to the Williams sisters etc has been so wildly inaccurate and incredibly unfair.

She’s an ‘average to good’ player in the professional game that had a freak tournament. Will have a lucrative career and I’m sure will kick around in the top 25 for a while which is no mean feat in itself of course.

However the hype train calling her the “next Serena”, “she will dominate the game” and such like was stunningly laughable, I can only assume it was perpetuated by people that clearly don’t understand the game and barely watch it.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Emma Raducanu on 08:05 - Nov 10 with 2406 viewsbritferry

she needs to go away and reset herself and then start to focus on the Oz Open, she'll be fine

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Emma Raducanu on 08:10 - Nov 10 with 2401 viewsnantywatcher

At the moment she's the Man United of women's tennis. Her opponents are going to be pumped up, I think your analysis of her future sounds about right.
Emma Raducanu on 08:18 - Nov 10 with 2392 viewsDr_Parnassus

Emma Raducanu on 08:05 - Nov 10 by britferry

she needs to go away and reset herself and then start to focus on the Oz Open, she'll be fine

That's the thing, resetting herself is what you are seeing now.

Barring that 2 week period in New York, in which she got an incredibly favorable run. This is what her form was like.

Lots of first and second round exits losing to incredibly average players in incredibly average tournaments.

She's an ok player, she may turn into a good one. But doesn't belong anywhere near a conversation regarding best in this era let alone of all time.

She would not make my squad of 30, if I was to make one of current active players right now. Maybe not even my squad of 50, would be close.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 8:21]

Emma Raducanu on 12:11 - Nov 10 with 2328 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Getting rid of the Trainer that got her there probably hasn't helped much.
But the biggest problem was the total distraction of being "famous overnight".
Emma Raducanu on 13:34 - Nov 10 with 2281 viewsDr_Parnassus

Emma Raducanu on 12:11 - Nov 10 by A_Fans_Dad

Getting rid of the Trainer that got her there probably hasn't helped much.
But the biggest problem was the total distraction of being "famous overnight".

I think it’s just a case of her performing to her ability. She was like this before the US Open so it’s not like she has regressed, she just over performed for a very short period of time.

A bit like Greece winning the Euros. They sort of went back to their normal form after the tournament, they were a fairly decent side, no more than that. Clearly would never win another major tournament in our lifetimes.

What the win at the Open may do is give her the funds to get a leg up on her natural competitors, and put a team together that can work around the clock. Not everyone has that.

Emma Raducanu on 18:20 - Nov 10 with 2214 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Emma Raducanu on 08:10 - Nov 10 by nantywatcher

At the moment she's the Man United of women's tennis. Her opponents are going to be pumped up, I think your analysis of her future sounds about right.

How on Earth is a lady who has won one major title "the Man United of women's tennis"?

Serena Williams - sure. Raducanu?

She is more like the Swansea City of women's tennis. One major title before crashing back to reality.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Emma Raducanu on 18:42 - Nov 10 with 2190 viewsunion_jack

Emma Raducanu on 13:34 - Nov 10 by Dr_Parnassus

I think it’s just a case of her performing to her ability. She was like this before the US Open so it’s not like she has regressed, she just over performed for a very short period of time.

A bit like Greece winning the Euros. They sort of went back to their normal form after the tournament, they were a fairly decent side, no more than that. Clearly would never win another major tournament in our lifetimes.

What the win at the Open may do is give her the funds to get a leg up on her natural competitors, and put a team together that can work around the clock. Not everyone has that.

Incidentally, how do you rate Leyla Fernandez?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Emma Raducanu on 18:47 - Nov 10 with 2186 viewsCatullus

This is getting to be a habit but I agree with Dr P. She had a freak win, played above herself for a short time and had some luck along the way too.

The big problem for her is the media hype went into overdrive and people started expecting more of her than she can deliver.
She needs to get her head down and work hard again. From what I saw she was too busy enjoying the limelight.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Emma Raducanu on 20:52 - Nov 10 with 2132 viewsmax936

Emma Raducanu on 18:47 - Nov 10 by Catullus

This is getting to be a habit but I agree with Dr P. She had a freak win, played above herself for a short time and had some luck along the way too.

The big problem for her is the media hype went into overdrive and people started expecting more of her than she can deliver.
She needs to get her head down and work hard again. From what I saw she was too busy enjoying the limelight.

She's 19yr young girl old who won a prestigious title and become the Belle of the Ball, her getting carried away with the moment wasn't/isn't a surprise, she still got a long career ahead of her hopefully, time to get her head down again and graft and see where it gets her.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Emma Raducanu on 20:54 - Nov 10 with 2131 viewsmax936

Emma Raducanu on 18:20 - Nov 10 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

How on Earth is a lady who has won one major title "the Man United of women's tennis"?

Serena Williams - sure. Raducanu?

She is more like the Swansea City of women's tennis. One major title before crashing back to reality.

There speaks the real truth of a true MU fan.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Emma Raducanu on 00:14 - Nov 11 with 2083 viewsDr_Parnassus

Emma Raducanu on 18:42 - Nov 10 by union_jack

Incidentally, how do you rate Leyla Fernandez?

Higher overall but she is more experienced. Similar players in terms of potential and talent, different styles.

I think more players would like to face Raducanu than Fernandez is how I would look at it.

Emma Raducanu on 10:54 - Nov 26 with 1902 viewsWhiterockin

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-10243785/British-tennis-sensati
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:41 - Nov 26 with 1800 viewsWingstandwood

I wonder if all them multi-million sponsorship deals and distraction of becoming famous overnight will affect her hunger, drive, determination and dedication? Too early too soon for some?
[Post edited 26 Nov 2021 20:07]

Argus!

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:05 - Nov 26 with 1762 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:41 - Nov 26 by Wingstandwood

I wonder if all them multi-million sponsorship deals and distraction of becoming famous overnight will affect her hunger, drive, determination and dedication? Too early too soon for some?

Put yourself in her shoes. Young, beautiful and rich. Whatever happens from here on out she’s won at life really.
(No subject) (n/t) on 23:24 - Nov 26 with 1707 viewsDr_Parnassus

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:41 - Nov 26 by Wingstandwood

I said at the time she should milk it for all it’s worth.

2021 will be her career year, the like of which she won’t get near the likes of again.

Good on her for enjoying it.

(No subject) (n/t) on 00:23 - Nov 27 with 1692 viewsReslovenSwan1

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:05 - Nov 26 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

Put yourself in her shoes. Young, beautiful and rich. Whatever happens from here on out she’s won at life really.

Plenty of pitfalls out here for her to beware of. Plenty of famous women have had torrid lives after huge success particularly in the music business. There was the lovely Jenifer Capriati for example that got involved in a few issues. .Happily she seems to have come through it.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Emma Raducanu on 17:51 - Dec 1 with 1524 viewsBest_loser

Konta has retired due to a knee injury , a decent career for a late starter , earned about 15 million , not bad at all
Emma Raducanu on 20:36 - Dec 7 with 1368 viewsWhiterockin

Another award for young Emma.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/59561622
Emma Raducanu on 20:45 - Dec 7 with 1349 viewsDr_Parnassus

Amazing what a two week run can do for you isn’t it

She’s a decent player, no more than that.

Emma Raducanu on 00:27 - Jan 1 with 1113 viewsbritferry

SPotY and awarded a MBE... what a girl

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Emma Raducanu on 02:42 - Jan 1 with 1069 viewsKeithHaynes

There’s a bloke who works down the chip shop swears he’s Elvis.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Emma Raducanu on 05:15 - Jan 1 with 1037 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Emma Raducanu on 00:27 - Jan 1 by britferry

SPotY and awarded a MBE... what a girl

Absolutely. If only I were a few years younger, more athletic, much better looking and ridiculously wealthy I think we’d make a great couple.

Edit: when I say “we” I mean me and her, not me and you.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2022 5:17]
Emma Raducanu on 11:25 - Jan 1 with 976 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Emma Raducanu on 05:15 - Jan 1 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

Absolutely. If only I were a few years younger, more athletic, much better looking and ridiculously wealthy I think we’d make a great couple.

Edit: when I say “we” I mean me and her, not me and you.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2022 5:17]

One of the luckiest sports people in the world.
It is not often that everything comes together so well in such a short time for anybody.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024