Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this really "exciting football"? 17:32 - Dec 4 with 8747 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Once again, our possession of the ball was more than double that of our opponents.

Yet, once again, we only just managed to convert our colossal domination of the ball into more attacks than our opponents

From 67% possession, we yielded just 113 attacks. Yet, from just 33% possession, Middlesbrough yielded 104 attacks.

We had 103% more possession of the ball, yet attempted only 9% more attacks throughout the game. That's scandalous and certainly isn't "exciting football" in my opinion.

It is little wonder we have so many clean sheets despite having such a nonsensical defensive approach. Imagine how many more attacks teams would achieve against us if we weren't aimlessly keeping possession amongst our 5 centre backs for a significant portion of the match.

This isn't exciting football. Too many Swansea City supporters equate possession with "exciting football". I'm hesitant to use the word brainwashed, but some supporters have certainly been conditioned to think this way.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2021 17:33]

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Is this really "exciting football"? on 14:50 - Dec 5 with 737 viewsCatullus

Is this really "exciting football"? on 14:31 - Dec 5 by onehunglow

Passing for the sake of it was never a Swansea trait.
Sometimes a manager has to accept he has to work with the tools he has available ;his players.

You are not going to score many goals by endlessly stroking it sideways in your own penalty area. It is beyond dumb.

We have fallen so far so fat it hurts like hell still.

We had pundits saying we passed for the sake of it under Rodgers.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is this really "exciting football"? on 14:50 - Dec 5 with 737 viewsmagicdaps10

Is this really "exciting football"? on 14:27 - Dec 5 by Dr_Parnassus

This is not the Swansea style, we have never played like this before. Ever.

We have spent the second highest amount in a single football league season in our history. Patterson, Laird, Piroe, Ntcham, Downes have all come in added to the likes of Joseph, Williams, Obafemi and Walsh - and you would need to have your head read to swap them back for who we lost last season.

We have one of the best starting XI’s in the league, top 6 in my opinion. It would be very interesting for anyone to name 7 starting line ups they would prefer to ours. It’s also the strongest depth we have had for a while. Cabango, Obafemi struggling to get in an not even Ntcham is guaranteed to start.

Nobody has “had it in” for Martin, that’s just pure nonsense and it’s coming from those who took a stance against Cooper as a way to combat the fact we are struggling to perform since he left. Those that backed Cooper and didn’t want him to leave due to what he achieved here year after year are the same ones that are praising and criticising Martin in accordance to what he is delivering.

I don’t see too many people slating him when we play well or win, do you? That suggests the criticism is perfectly valid and warranted.

You are creating myths again. Sorry but they just won’t wash.

Well my opinion and view is very different to that.

I can't comment on your opinion that I am creating myths.....my opinion that its getting back to the Swansea way is something I have heard fans say and heard others disagree with but I am more than happy to take that opinion of others and it would be wrong for me to tell them that their opinion is wrong.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Is this really "exciting football"? on 14:53 - Dec 5 with 723 viewsDr_Parnassus

Is this really "exciting football"? on 14:45 - Dec 5 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Our xG (Expected Goals) last season was 1.5 - ranked 7th in the league.

After 21 games this season, it is 1.08 - ranked 17th in the league.

https://footystats.org/england/championship/xg#

Goal attempts. First 21 games LAST SEASON - 226

Goal attempts. First 21 games THIS SEASON - 211

There is absolutely no way we should be a less attacking force this season when we have the highest possession stats in the league, but alas we are.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Is this really "exciting football"? on 14:55 - Dec 5 with 714 viewsDr_Parnassus

Is this really "exciting football"? on 14:50 - Dec 5 by Catullus

We had pundits saying we passed for the sake of it under Rodgers.

Which ones said that?

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:05 - Dec 5 with 708 viewsbuilthjack

Is this really "exciting football"? on 13:14 - Dec 5 by Dr_Parnassus

That seems incredibly excessive to me.

There is no reason why he can’t get it right now.

9 players brought in on top of the good foundation that was already here with Grimes, Naughton, Canango, Bennett and Manning.

Other managers seem to have been able to get it right along the way relatively quickly, not sure why people think so little of Martin that he needs way more time than everyone else.

I’m backing him to get his act together and drag us up the league this season, but he needs to start swallowing his pride and reverting to the middle ground style that was starting to see good success.

Martin has a brand of football that, let's face it, half the squad are not good enough to play it.
As I said, it will take another couple of transfer windows for him to get it right.
Martin is having to play players out of position, as they are the best options he ihas.
A little patience is needed. People have to get into the real world.
Happy with mid table this year. Play offs will be a bonus.
I think top 3 next year.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:07 - Dec 5 with 704 viewsmagicdaps10

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:05 - Dec 5 by builthjack

Martin has a brand of football that, let's face it, half the squad are not good enough to play it.
As I said, it will take another couple of transfer windows for him to get it right.
Martin is having to play players out of position, as they are the best options he ihas.
I think top 3 next year.

It's that word again... Patience.

I will throw in understanding and reasonable also.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:08 - Dec 5 with 698 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I think top 3 next year.

What is his brand of football?

Nobody saw it as MK Dons as he abruptly left them whilst they were still in their "transitional period", and we are yet to see it here as apparently he does not yet have the players capable of playing his brand of football.

So again I ask, what is his brand of football?

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:10 - Dec 5 with 687 viewsbuilthjack

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:08 - Dec 5 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Nobody saw it as MK Dons as he abruptly left them whilst they were still in their "transitional period", and we are yet to see it here as apparently he does not yet have the players capable of playing his brand of football.

What brand of football is it at Man Utd?
They have struggled for a,long time.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Login to get fewer ads

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:11 - Dec 5 with 680 viewsonehunglow

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:08 - Dec 5 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

He said he wants excitement so it's related to that.
Its a long term project and work in progress.
That's it.
He wants all player and fans to buy into this and we will be rewarded.
innit

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:14 - Dec 5 with 684 viewsbuilthjack

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:11 - Dec 5 by onehunglow

He said he wants excitement so it's related to that.
Its a long term project and work in progress.
That's it.
He wants all player and fans to buy into this and we will be rewarded.
innit

Cooperball better?

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:15 - Dec 5 with 679 viewsDr_Parnassus

I think top 3 next year.

But there isn’t really a brand of football is there? It’s just knocking the ball around at the back before someone gets a rush of blood and tries an individual bit of magic.

Thankfully we have had Piroe and Pato who have taken that upon themselves this season.

To have a brand of football then you have to have a purpose, and way of winning games. I would struggle to say we do, and would struggle to suggest MK dons did.

Patience is all well and good, but you have to see it working along the way. Otherwise every Tom, Dick and Bob Bradley can just use the term “patience” to forever buy themselves time.

You earn patience to perfect a style. You do that by showing consistent results.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:17 - Dec 5 with 679 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:10 - Dec 5 by builthjack

What brand of football is it at Man Utd?
They have struggled for a,long time.

I do not think that Manchester United have a defined "brand of football". I would say that most football clubs do not have a "brand of football" - including Swansea.

The way we play in 2020/21 differs to that under Steve Cooper, which differs to that of Graham Potter and so on.

"Brand of football", "Style" and "Philosophy" are commonly used words by those with little understanding of what they're saying.

I'd argue Manchester City, under Guardiola, have a defined "brand of football". Similarly I would argue that Liverpool under Klopp, Arsenal under Arteta, Burnley under Dyche, and Luton under Nathan Jones have a defined style of play. Whenever I watch their games or simply watch the highlights, it is clear they employ similar tactics each match. They have each been in their respective posts long enough for us to identify consistency in their approach.

You and others keep talking about how we aren't yet playing Russell Martin's "brand of football" as we do not have the players, however I do not understand how you know what his "brand of football" is when he has never remained at a club long enough to impose this supposed "brand of football" on his team - something he himself acknowledges.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:18 - Dec 5 with 672 viewsDr_Parnassus

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:14 - Dec 5 by builthjack

Cooperball better?

Better in terms of what?

Cooper has got 1.8 points per game so far for Forest, had around 1.7 ish points per game for us.

We have barely 1.3 playing this way.

So in terms of “better” then surely the more successful one is “better”. I’m sure Forest wouldn’t swap their results under him for ours under Martin in exchange of a swapping of style too.

Ask them.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:18 - Dec 5 with 676 viewsbuilthjack

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:15 - Dec 5 by Dr_Parnassus

But there isn’t really a brand of football is there? It’s just knocking the ball around at the back before someone gets a rush of blood and tries an individual bit of magic.

Thankfully we have had Piroe and Pato who have taken that upon themselves this season.

To have a brand of football then you have to have a purpose, and way of winning games. I would struggle to say we do, and would struggle to suggest MK dons did.

Patience is all well and good, but you have to see it working along the way. Otherwise every Tom, Dick and Bob Bradley can just use the term “patience” to forever buy themselves time.

You earn patience to perfect a style. You do that by showing consistent results.

As I have said, whenever he can change personnel, then the brand of football gets better.
Half the squad are not good enough.
Patience.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:23 - Dec 5 with 666 viewsFireboy2

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:17 - Dec 5 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I do not think that Manchester United have a defined "brand of football". I would say that most football clubs do not have a "brand of football" - including Swansea.

The way we play in 2020/21 differs to that under Steve Cooper, which differs to that of Graham Potter and so on.

"Brand of football", "Style" and "Philosophy" are commonly used words by those with little understanding of what they're saying.

I'd argue Manchester City, under Guardiola, have a defined "brand of football". Similarly I would argue that Liverpool under Klopp, Arsenal under Arteta, Burnley under Dyche, and Luton under Nathan Jones have a defined style of play. Whenever I watch their games or simply watch the highlights, it is clear they employ similar tactics each match. They have each been in their respective posts long enough for us to identify consistency in their approach.

You and others keep talking about how we aren't yet playing Russell Martin's "brand of football" as we do not have the players, however I do not understand how you know what his "brand of football" is when he has never remained at a club long enough to impose this supposed "brand of football" on his team - something he himself acknowledges.

We 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:24 - Dec 5 with 663 viewsDr_Parnassus

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:18 - Dec 5 by builthjack

As I have said, whenever he can change personnel, then the brand of football gets better.
Half the squad are not good enough.
Patience.

Who needs to be changed in order for us to attack more?

As I said, patience is all well and good with a system showing itself to work. Patience when the same mistakes are being made week after week isn’t quite the same thing.

Bob Bradley didn’t bring in a single player and nobody was advocating for him to have 3 windows and to show patience. The reason for that was because he couldn’t prove his style was successful.

Martin has had millions and brought in almost a whole starting 11 and had half a season. We now need to see he can consistently perform before further “two transfer windows” patience can be called for.

The average lifespan of our managers are not much longer than that, and Martin himself left after that amount of time at MK Dons when he was still saying he was building.

That kind of patience doesn’t really exist in football for that reason.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:26 - Dec 5 with 664 viewsmagicdaps10

This is very interesting.

Some fans labelled Martin's style of football with only a Plan A but now we don't have a brand of football.

Not saying you Dwight but the contradictions on this forum are off the scale... Certain posters far worse than others. I can't believe some things I read and then read posters defending it.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:28 - Dec 5 with 656 viewsDr_Parnassus

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:26 - Dec 5 by magicdaps10

This is very interesting.

Some fans labelled Martin's style of football with only a Plan A but now we don't have a brand of football.

Not saying you Dwight but the contradictions on this forum are off the scale... Certain posters far worse than others. I can't believe some things I read and then read posters defending it.

“Some fans labelled Martin's style of football with only a Plan A”.

What on earth does that mean?

To have a contradiction, it would need to make sense first.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:41 - Dec 5 with 646 viewsmagicdaps10

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:28 - Dec 5 by Dr_Parnassus

“Some fans labelled Martin's style of football with only a Plan A”.

What on earth does that mean?

To have a contradiction, it would need to make sense first.

It's over your head, don't worry on it then.

Even bullshit can be contradicted.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:42 - Dec 5 with 643 viewsbuilthjack

If you can't see what Martin is trying to do, then it's best you get out of that bedroom and attend games.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:46 - Dec 5 with 637 viewsDr_Parnassus

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:41 - Dec 5 by magicdaps10

It's over your head, don't worry on it then.

Even bullshit can be contradicted.

All nonsense goes over my head yes.

I have learned that it is a waste of time trying to decipher it, as more often than not the person who typed it has just as much idea as everyone else regarding what it is supposed to mean.

Which isn’t very much.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:49 - Dec 5 with 635 viewsDr_Parnassus

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:42 - Dec 5 by builthjack

If you can't see what Martin is trying to do, then it's best you get out of that bedroom and attend games.

He’s trying to have a team which keeps possession regardless of if it benefits the result?

There isn’t much to show he is trying to turn that possession into regular and direct attacks at the moment.

There was for a period of a few games, but it looks like it’s been scrapped again. Inexplicably.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:51 - Dec 5 with 635 viewsmagicdaps10

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:46 - Dec 5 by Dr_Parnassus

All nonsense goes over my head yes.

I have learned that it is a waste of time trying to decipher it, as more often than not the person who typed it has just as much idea as everyone else regarding what it is supposed to mean.

Which isn’t very much.

So if nonsense goes over your head then responding to my post suggests that my post was not nonsense.

As per usual, you are not making any sense at all, not one bit!

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:54 - Dec 5 with 626 viewsDr_Parnassus

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:51 - Dec 5 by magicdaps10

So if nonsense goes over your head then responding to my post suggests that my post was not nonsense.

As per usual, you are not making any sense at all, not one bit!

But my response what telling you how little sense it made.

Your post can go over my head due to its nonsense content and still draw a reply out of me to tell you it makes no sense.

Get with the programme, you are about 9 steps behind the rest of the forum as usual.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 16:11 - Dec 5 with 604 viewsmagicdaps10

Is this really "exciting football"? on 15:54 - Dec 5 by Dr_Parnassus

But my response what telling you how little sense it made.

Your post can go over my head due to its nonsense content and still draw a reply out of me to tell you it makes no sense.

Get with the programme, you are about 9 steps behind the rest of the forum as usual.

Now that made no sense, I would be very worried if it did in your head.

Now if that's what comes out of your mouth and then you make that 9 step claim THEN I am happy not being up to speed with that kind of idiocity. Glad I am on the same step as the ones who are understating and in the real world.

Now get some sleep, you are posting on here at 2am and that is not a good sign at all.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024