Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this really "exciting football"? 17:32 - Dec 4 with 8744 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Once again, our possession of the ball was more than double that of our opponents.

Yet, once again, we only just managed to convert our colossal domination of the ball into more attacks than our opponents

From 67% possession, we yielded just 113 attacks. Yet, from just 33% possession, Middlesbrough yielded 104 attacks.

We had 103% more possession of the ball, yet attempted only 9% more attacks throughout the game. That's scandalous and certainly isn't "exciting football" in my opinion.

It is little wonder we have so many clean sheets despite having such a nonsensical defensive approach. Imagine how many more attacks teams would achieve against us if we weren't aimlessly keeping possession amongst our 5 centre backs for a significant portion of the match.

This isn't exciting football. Too many Swansea City supporters equate possession with "exciting football". I'm hesitant to use the word brainwashed, but some supporters have certainly been conditioned to think this way.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2021 17:33]

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Is this really "exciting football"? on 16:55 - Dec 6 with 917 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swansea city under Huw Jenkins 2002-2014 has a strong philosophy. It was lost a little and returned under Graham Potter. Steve Cooper certainly did not represent this philosophy while promoting the idea that he did. Steve Cooper I must say is a very successful manager and has a great career ahead of him. I cn see him at Cardiff city in the next few years.

Steve Cooper would make excuses for poor performances (often tight grim wins it has to be said) and the non execution of the philosophy he notionally promoted by blaming the pitch, the wind , the rain and the opposition for its non application. He would regularly say "we could not play our way today because ......

All Swansea teams should endeavour to pass accurately and try to control possession. Man city do this. Liverpool have the 'high press' Man chaester Utd once had speed and two fast wingers. Burnley are rugged and tough. Arsenal do not play phragmatic football They are true to their pricinciple. Swansea must be the same.

Russell Martin needs to execute it successfully. He will be given time. If he cannot do it he will be sacked next season or encouraged to look for new opportunities.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 16:56]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Is this really "exciting football"? on 18:10 - Dec 6 with 877 viewsTreforys_Jack

Is this really "exciting football"? on 16:55 - Dec 6 by ReslovenSwan1

Swansea city under Huw Jenkins 2002-2014 has a strong philosophy. It was lost a little and returned under Graham Potter. Steve Cooper certainly did not represent this philosophy while promoting the idea that he did. Steve Cooper I must say is a very successful manager and has a great career ahead of him. I cn see him at Cardiff city in the next few years.

Steve Cooper would make excuses for poor performances (often tight grim wins it has to be said) and the non execution of the philosophy he notionally promoted by blaming the pitch, the wind , the rain and the opposition for its non application. He would regularly say "we could not play our way today because ......

All Swansea teams should endeavour to pass accurately and try to control possession. Man city do this. Liverpool have the 'high press' Man chaester Utd once had speed and two fast wingers. Burnley are rugged and tough. Arsenal do not play phragmatic football They are true to their pricinciple. Swansea must be the same.

Russell Martin needs to execute it successfully. He will be given time. If he cannot do it he will be sacked next season or encouraged to look for new opportunities.

Apart from kissing HJ's rear again that is an excellent post with which I wholeheartedly agree.
Is this really "exciting football"? on 18:30 - Dec 6 with 869 viewsKeithHaynes

Not buying a player for nearly three seasons helped. From memory 28k for Paul Connor was the first player the board signed from Rochdale.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Is this really "exciting football"? on 18:39 - Dec 6 with 858 viewsmagicdaps10

Is this really "exciting football"? on 18:30 - Dec 6 by KeithHaynes

Not buying a player for nearly three seasons helped. From memory 28k for Paul Connor was the first player the board signed from Rochdale.

It was Keith, not sure of the amount but it was a big deal to many of us signing someone for a fee.
We made some good free transfer signings prior to that especially in Mr Trundle but paying a fee was a sign at the time considering what we had just been through.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Is this really "exciting football"? on 18:44 - Dec 6 with 853 viewsmagicdaps10

Is this really "exciting football"? on 16:41 - Dec 6 by Treforys_Jack

Your last paragraph is spot in, you can't get your head around it.

He is not going to like that response but its a superb response that 🤣

He is getting schooled on a regular basis and is still unable to see it and still comes back for more.

He needs a break.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 19:23 - Dec 6 with 827 viewsvetchonian

whilst Martin continues to blame the officials

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Is this really "exciting football"? on 19:28 - Dec 6 with 822 viewsKeithHaynes

Is this really "exciting football"? on 19:23 - Dec 6 by vetchonian

whilst Martin continues to blame the officials

Cooper was good at it.
Got him a fine.

Is this really "exciting football"? on 19:40 - Dec 6 with 809 viewsmagicdaps10

Is this really "exciting football"? on 19:28 - Dec 6 by KeithHaynes

Cooper was good at it.
Got him a fine.

His team got a lot of penalties aswell.

Wasn't his dad an ex ref aswell 🤔🤣

Login to get fewer ads

Is this really "exciting football"? on 19:48 - Dec 6 with 800 viewsKeithHaynes

Is this really "exciting football"? on 19:40 - Dec 6 by magicdaps10

His team got a lot of penalties aswell.

Wasn't his dad an ex ref aswell 🤔🤣

Apparently. 🧐

Is this really "exciting football"? on 21:22 - Dec 6 with 749 viewsAndyCole

Is this really "exciting football"? on 14:22 - Dec 6 by Dr_Parnassus

It’s not an opinion that I gave.

I am factually stating that we are less attacking this season and also noting that this was the main issue people had last season, lack of attacking intent.

Not asked you to change your mind, not even suggested you should.

Just making a point that what people complained about last year (relentlessly) while being in the top 4, seems to now not be an issue at all as it’s now present but to a larger degree, while loving life in the bottom half.

I personally can’t get my head round that but each to their own.

You can't educate pork, Doc. Yet your perseverance and patience alone is worthy of poster of the year.

No point trying to rationalise why a sad bunch of intellectually challenged on a forum are unable to accept Facts. Facts such as we are far less attacking this year. Much of their irrationality is wrapped up in a sad fixation with our ex manager, and then painting themselves into a corner. The twps corner.

The saddest thing here though is that you make their day each time you give them the time of day. They are Simply not worthy. A few home alone types with nothing better to do. One of which admitted the same here most recently.

Best let them be, happily clapping with their eyes wide shut.

Happily Clapping to the tune of Winston playing with his banjo......

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Is this really "exciting football"? on 22:05 - Dec 6 with 732 viewsReslovenSwan1

Is this really "exciting football"? on 18:10 - Dec 6 by Treforys_Jack

Apart from kissing HJ's rear again that is an excellent post with which I wholeheartedly agree.

14 years of success and growth. His last two major acts were stopping the cheap sale of Dan James and appointing Graham Potter. History will treat him kindly. Being up in the trees I do not get caught up in small town politics and jealousies.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Is this really "exciting football"? on 22:48 - Dec 6 with 718 viewsTreforys_Jack

Is this really "exciting football"? on 22:05 - Dec 6 by ReslovenSwan1

14 years of success and growth. His last two major acts were stopping the cheap sale of Dan James and appointing Graham Potter. History will treat him kindly. Being up in the trees I do not get caught up in small town politics and jealousies.

Indeed, just a shame he tarnished his exit so badly.
Is this really "exciting football"? on 23:22 - Dec 6 with 704 viewsDr_Parnassus

There is a difference between possession football and effective possession football though.

Nobody is saying let’s not play possession football, they are saying let’s do it smartly.

If we had a manager that literally sat back and knocked the ball around in our own half for 90 mins and never crossed the half way line. That would be possession football but it absolutely should not be encouraged as a style.

You have to look a little deeper than the possession statistic to judge if a style of play is fit for purpose, you can’t just rubber stamp it because it fulfilled a solitary one of the many briefs required.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Is this really "exciting football"? on 23:26 - Dec 6 with 700 viewsDr_Parnassus

Is this really "exciting football"? on 16:41 - Dec 6 by Treforys_Jack

Your last paragraph is spot in, you can't get your head around it.

I can’t get my head around it no.

Complain when something is successful because there isn’t enough attacking intent…

Then be happy when something is not successful with even less attacking intent.

Just bizarre.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Is this really "exciting football"? on 00:03 - Dec 10 with 579 viewsAndyCole

Here's the thing.

We could be far more exciting if Martine redeploys our winning model, and continues to evolve that model into a more driving, higher pressing outfit. Instead of regressing, not learning.

The most interesting thing to note right now is how MKDons have progressed, revolutionised post Martin.

Very interesting listening to the experts commenting how MKDons this year are far more effective and efficient, and their winning % is so massively improved.

MKDons new boss Liam Manning (a Div2, belgian league manager last year) brought in with no pre season, has quickly revolutionised MKDons into a winning model. This time last year in 15th, now Top echelons.

The analysts reckon the biggest change has been getting the balance right from being overly possession centric, vs mixing it up to not being too one-dimensional, playing it forwards with more urgency and being more direct; and having the resilience to see out games when under pressure.

Sounds like the player-induced Plan B.

Which ofc, could be Exciting.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024