Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russia invade Ukraine 14:17 - Dec 23 with 153231 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Discuss.

Also why is Putin always described in the media as this rugged strongman? He’s barely five foot tall with his high heels on.

But that’s another debate.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Russia invade Ukraine on 23:49 - Feb 24 with 1162 viewsmajorraglan

Russia invade Ukraine on 22:56 - Feb 24 by controversial_jack

It looks like Putin is going further than to just take control of the Donbas area, and may be wanting to overthrow the govt and put in president who would be sympathetic to Russia

Which is pretty similar to what he has in Belarus.

Putin doesn't want NATO right next door to Russia which I get, but looking at things from countries like Poland, Lithuania, Estonia etc’s stand point they experienced some pretty difficult times from 1945 onwards and are fearful of what could happen to them again if they didn’t have additional protection NATO provides. Looking at what’s happened to the Ukraine, it’s not difficult to see their concerns. We’ve seen a couple of nasty incidents occur in our country where it’s been alleged Russian intelligence have acted against former citizens.

It’s a pity we can’t all just live in peace.
Russia invade Ukraine on 00:43 - Feb 25 with 1107 viewsAjack_Kerouac

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

Russia invade Ukraine on 01:16 - Feb 25 with 1111 viewsDJack

Something for you to digest...

"The Foundations of Geopolitics: The Geopolitical Future of Russia is a geopolitical book by Aleksandr Dugin. It has had some influence within the Russian military, police and foreign policy elites and has been used as a textbook in the Academy of the General Staff of the Russian military. Its publication in 1997 was well received in Russia. Powerful Russian political figures subsequently took an interest in Dugin, a Russian eurasianist, fascist, and nationalist who has developed a close relationship with Russia's Academy of the General Staff.

The book states that "the maximum task [of the future] is the 'Finlandization' of all of Europe"

In Europe:
Germany should be offered the de facto political dominance over most Protestant and Catholic states located within Central and Eastern Europe. Kaliningrad Oblast could be given back to Germany. The book uses the term "Moscow—Berlin axis".

France should be encouraged to form a bloc with Germany, as they both have a "firm anti-Atlanticist tradition".

The United Kingdom, merely described as an "extraterritorial floating base of the U.S.", should be cut off from Europe.

Finland should be absorbed into Russia. Southern Finland will be combined with the Republic of Karelia and northern Finland will be "donated to Murmansk Oblast".

Estonia should be given to Germany's sphere of influence.

Latvia and Lithuania should be given a "special status" in the Eurasian—Russian sphere.

Poland should be granted a "special status" in the Eurasian sphere.

Romania, North Macedonia, Serbia, "Serbian Bosnia" and Greece — "Orthodox collectivist East" — will unite with "Moscow the Third Rome" and reject the "rational-individualistic West".

Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "Ukraine as a state has no geopolitical meaning, no particular cultural import or universal significance, no geographic uniqueness, no ethnic exclusiveness, its certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics". Ukraine should not be allowed to remain independent, unless it is cordon sanitaire, which would be inadmissible.

In the United States:

Russia should use its special services within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism, for instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements — extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics" - Sound familiar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Russia invade Ukraine on 03:03 - Feb 25 with 1085 viewsKilkennyjack

Russia invade Ukraine on 01:16 - Feb 25 by DJack

"The Foundations of Geopolitics: The Geopolitical Future of Russia is a geopolitical book by Aleksandr Dugin. It has had some influence within the Russian military, police and foreign policy elites and has been used as a textbook in the Academy of the General Staff of the Russian military. Its publication in 1997 was well received in Russia. Powerful Russian political figures subsequently took an interest in Dugin, a Russian eurasianist, fascist, and nationalist who has developed a close relationship with Russia's Academy of the General Staff.

The book states that "the maximum task [of the future] is the 'Finlandization' of all of Europe"

In Europe:
Germany should be offered the de facto political dominance over most Protestant and Catholic states located within Central and Eastern Europe. Kaliningrad Oblast could be given back to Germany. The book uses the term "Moscow—Berlin axis".

France should be encouraged to form a bloc with Germany, as they both have a "firm anti-Atlanticist tradition".

The United Kingdom, merely described as an "extraterritorial floating base of the U.S.", should be cut off from Europe.

Finland should be absorbed into Russia. Southern Finland will be combined with the Republic of Karelia and northern Finland will be "donated to Murmansk Oblast".

Latvia and Lithuania should be given a "special status" in the Eurasian—Russian sphere.

Romania, North Macedonia, Serbia, "Serbian Bosnia" and Greece — "Orthodox collectivist East" — will unite with "Moscow the Third Rome" and reject the "rational-individualistic West".

Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "Ukraine as a state has no geopolitical meaning, no particular cultural import or universal significance, no geographic uniqueness, no ethnic exclusiveness, its certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics". Ukraine should not be allowed to remain independent, unless it is cordon sanitaire, which would be inadmissible.

In the United States:

Russia should use its special services within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism, for instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements — extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics" - Sound familiar?

Brexit UK has enabled this.

Pikey you div.

Beware of the Risen People

Russia invade Ukraine on 05:44 - Feb 25 with 1069 viewstrampie

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Russia invade Ukraine on 10:41 - Feb 25 with 1002 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Russia invade Ukraine on 03:03 - Feb 25 by Kilkennyjack

Pikey you div.

No mention of Ireland in your rant. Probably because they are not in NATO.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 11:00 - Feb 25 with 986 viewscontroversial_jack

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 23:38 - Feb 24 by raynor94

He won't do that Max, even he won't start armageddon, he's having a bit of a surprise already in Ukraine they are not going to roll over.

He knows attacking a Nato alliance will invite a whole new ball game

NATO would do nothing. The US and it's lackeys only attack weaker defenceless countries. They won't go against Russia
Russia invade Ukraine on 11:06 - Feb 25 with 982 viewsScotia

Russia invade Ukraine on 00:43 - Feb 25 by Ajack_Kerouac

"If you really want to wreck Russia, encourage it to try and conquer Ukraine. Putin is much too smart for that"

Interesting.
Login to get fewer ads

Russia invade Ukraine on 11:15 - Feb 25 with 978 viewsCatullus

Russia invade Ukraine on 03:03 - Feb 25 by Kilkennyjack

Pikey you div.

Brexit didn't cause this you utter womble, EU expansionism was part of the cause, as was the notion of Ukraine joining NATO. I also believe Putin has wanted this for a while because he wants Ukraine's resources with NATO and the EU supplying the excuse.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Russia invade Ukraine on 11:18 - Feb 25 with 977 viewsCatullus

Russia invade Ukraine on 01:16 - Feb 25 by DJack

In Europe:

In the United States:

One of those points, Finlandization, that is exactly what Macron offered. He suggested selling out Ukraine and giving them to Russia on a plate.

I wonder how he'd have felt if the UK had done that to France in 1939?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 11:21 - Feb 25 with 969 viewsCatullus

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 11:00 - Feb 25 by controversial_jack

NATO would do nothing. The US and it's lackeys only attack weaker defenceless countries. They won't go against Russia

NATO was set up exactly for that reason to counter Russia, well the USSR as was. Ukraine is not in NATO though so it has no obligation to do anything.

Russia invade Ukraine on 11:27 - Feb 25 with 959 viewsmajorraglan

Russia invade Ukraine on 11:15 - Feb 25 by Catullus

Brexit didn't cause this you utter womble, EU expansionism was part of the cause, as was the notion of Ukraine joining NATO. I also believe Putin has wanted this for a while because he wants Ukraine's resources with NATO and the EU supplying the excuse.

When you say EU expansion, the Ukrainian people and it’s government want closer alignment with the EU because they can see the benefits that membership would bring to them in terms of prosperity etc, it’s hardly a case if the EU sending the ranks in and forcing them to join. In terms of NATO membership, like the Baltic countries and Poland they wanted membership to try and protect themselves from the type of thing we’ve just seen. I agree about the resources.

In terms of Brexit, I do believe it is a contributory factor as Europe is now more divided - divide and conquer!
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 11:30 - Feb 25 with 958 viewsraynor94

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 11:00 - Feb 25 by controversial_jack

Seriously, you don't half post some guff an attack against one nato country would be an attack against the whole organisation.

And even the mad dictator won't go there

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Russia invade Ukraine on 11:37 - Feb 25 with 953 viewsCatullus

Russia invade Ukraine on 11:27 - Feb 25 by majorraglan

When you say EU expansion, the Ukrainian people and it’s government want closer alignment with the EU because they can see the benefits that membership would bring to them in terms of prosperity etc, it’s hardly a case if the EU sending the ranks in and forcing them to join. In terms of NATO membership, like the Baltic countries and Poland they wanted membership to try and protect themselves from the type of thing we’ve just seen. I agree about the resources.

In terms of Brexit, I do believe it is a contributory factor as Europe is now more divided - divide and conquer!

Yes Ukraine was interested in joining but the EU does want to expand, while it is a peaceful process all they are doing is trying to build a power base by a different method to Putin. The EU doesn't have a standing army so could not have invaded, if NATO had marched into Ukraine Putin would have responded.

The EU is not Europe, the EU lost ONE member state but we still have NATO and the UK is still in NATO, if NATO didn't stop Putin what could the UK remaining have done?

Putin does not want a NATO and/or EU member right on his border.

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:26 - Feb 25 with 930 viewsLohengrin

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 19:27 - Feb 24 by Badlands

Putin is as far from being a communist Ghengis Khan.
He’s an extreme right wing, Christian megalomanic.

If you want a reasonably accurate parallel for Putin I’d suggest Hermann Goring. A wildly corrupt gangster-thug who fate conspired to place in a position of real power. Though Putin doesn’t have that Benny Hill-like air of bonhomie Goring exuded, Putin is all dark menace.

I wouldn’t get carried away with the idea that Putin is a Christian either. He uses the Orthodox Church in much the same way a roofer uses a hammer, it’s a useful tool for him that helps get the job done.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:41 - Feb 25 with 921 viewsProfessor

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:26 - Feb 25 by Lohengrin

If you want a reasonably accurate parallel for Putin I’d suggest Hermann Goring. A wildly corrupt gangster-thug who fate conspired to place in a position of real power. Though Putin doesn’t have that Benny Hill-like air of bonhomie Goring exuded, Putin is all dark menace.

I wouldn’t get carried away with the idea that Putin is a Christian either. He uses the Orthodox Church in much the same way a roofer uses a hammer, it’s a useful tool for him that helps get the job done.

Best assessment I have read. (I'll go with the old school anglicised) Goering was spectacularly corrupt in a nest of corruption. A fine supporter of the German pharmaceutical industry.
Gangster thug about sums it up. Not the first to use the church or pretend faith for political gain either.

I was reflecting I was in Kyiv for work about four years ago. Ukrainians are tough people, not the most liberally enlightened it's fair to say, but generous and certainly people who thought life was there to be lived. A lot of people are going to die I feel. Can see this becoming a very attritional urban war.
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:54 - Feb 25 with 903 viewsbennytheblue

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:41 - Feb 25 by Professor

Best assessment I have read. (I'll go with the old school anglicised) Goering was spectacularly corrupt in a nest of corruption. A fine supporter of the German pharmaceutical industry.
Gangster thug about sums it up. Not the first to use the church or pretend faith for political gain either.

I was reflecting I was in Kyiv for work about four years ago. Ukrainians are tough people, not the most liberally enlightened it's fair to say, but generous and certainly people who thought life was there to be lived. A lot of people are going to die I feel. Can see this becoming a very attritional urban war.

Ukrainians won’t ever accept Russian soldiers on their streets so if they try and occupy I can see it getting very ugly everyday. You’d have thought he’d learnt his lesson in Afghanistan and Chechnya but no, the idiot has really phucked himself this time.
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:56 - Feb 25 with 903 viewsProfessor

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:26 - Feb 25 by Lohengrin

I was trying to find a cartoon online that appears in one of my late grandfather's substantial books on WW2.

I think it's French given the spelling. It shows a very bestial and drooling Stalin being served a casserole of the Baltic States-little Estonians, Latvians etc. in national dress. Hitler is the waiter.

That's my next worry
[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 13:01]
Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 13:44 - Feb 25 with 872 viewsonehunglow

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:54 - Feb 25 by bennytheblue

Ukrainians won’t ever accept Russian soldiers on their streets so if they try and occupy I can see it getting very ugly everyday. You’d have thought he’d learnt his lesson in Afghanistan and Chechnya but no, the idiot has really phucked himself this time.

Ben
Putin doesn't give a monkeys
Old KGB officers never change. He is still hurting over the break up of USSR and ha always wanted those countries back.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 14:10 - Feb 25 with 857 viewsLohengrin

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 12:56 - Feb 25 by Professor

I was trying to find a cartoon online that appears in one of my late grandfather's substantial books on WW2.

I think it's French given the spelling. It shows a very bestial and drooling Stalin being served a casserole of the Baltic States-little Estonians, Latvians etc. in national dress. Hitler is the waiter.

That's my next worry
[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 13:01]

I’m pretty sure I know the one you’re talking about, I’ve got it reproduced in a book here somewhere. I’ve got several covering the Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact, it’s probably in one of those.

Did you catch the Latvian President on the BBC earlier? He absolutely lambasted the cowardice, as he sees it, of The EU.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 14:30 - Feb 25 with 846 viewsProfessor

Will Russia invade Ukraine? on 14:10 - Feb 25 by Lohengrin

I’m pretty sure I know the one you’re talking about, I’ve got it reproduced in a book here somewhere. I’ve got several covering the Ribbentrop-Molotov Pact, it’s probably in one of those.

Did you catch the Latvian President on the BBC earlier? He absolutely lambasted the cowardice, as he sees it, of The EU.

In work developing governance systems around the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act. As exciting as it sounds and this is my break from it.

I didn't, but he's right. Like the Italians seeking dispensation from sanctions to sell luxury goods.

That would fit with the timing -pretty sure it's in the first volume of this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-War-II-Collect-Binders/dp/B00111B0QK

Will dig out over the weekend.

We had a number of Estonian and Latvian partners of EU-funded projects over the years. All fear Putin. Had to calm down a PhD student yesterday who was convinced we will have nuclear war and that her dad will be conscripted. I am pretty certain Putin gets what he wants from this, the only question is the price he and Ukraine pay.
Russia invade Ukraine on 14:53 - Feb 25 with 823 viewsBoundy

For those who ask: “Why does Ukraine matter?“ This is why Ukraine matters;
🇺🇦 Ukraine is the second largest country by area in Europe by area and has a population
of over 40 million (more than Poland).
Minerals: 🛢🔋
Ukraine ranks:
âš—1st in Europe in proven recoverable reserves of uranium ores;
🎨2nd place in Europe (and 10th place in the world) in titanium ore reserves;
⚙2nd place in the world in explored reserves of manganese ores (2.3 billion tons, or 12% of the world's reserves);
🔗2nd largest iron ore reserves in the world (30 billion tons);
🧭2nd place in Europe in mercury ore reserves;
⛽3rd place in Europe (13th place in the world) in shale gas reserves (22 trillion cubic meters)
🌳4th in the world by the total value of natural resources;
🔥7th place in the world in coal reserves (33.9 billion tons)
Ukraine is an important agricultural country: 👨‍🌾🚜
🌱1st in Europe in arable land area;
🪱3rd place in the world by the area of black soil (25% of world's volume);
🌻1st place in the world in exports of sunflower and sunflower oil;
🌾2nd place in the world in barley production and 4th place in barley exports;
🌽3rd largest producer and 4th largest exporter of corn in the world;
🥔4th largest producer of potatoes in the world;
🌾5th largest rye producer in the world;
🐝5th place in the world in bee production (75,000 tons);
🌾8th place in the world in wheat exports;
🍳9th place in the world in the production of chicken eggs;
🧀16th place in the world in cheese exports.
Ukraine can meet the food needs of 600 million people.
Ukraine is an important industrialised country:🏢🏣

🍀1st in Europe in ammonia production;
⛽Europe's 2nd’s largest (and the world’s 4th largest) natural gas pipeline system;
☢Europe's 3rd largest (and the world’s 8th largest) installed capacity of nuclear power plants;
🚂3rd place in Europe (and 11th in the world) in rail network length (21,700 km);
📡3rd place in the world (after the U.S. and France) in production of locators and locating equipment;
🏗3rd largest iron exporter in the world
🌬4th largest exporter of turbines for nuclear power plants in the world;
🚀World's 4th largest manufacturer of rocket launchers;
🌱4th place in the world in clay exports
🔬4th place in the world in titanium exports
💎8th place in the world in exports of ores and concentrates;
☄9th place in the world in exports of defence industry products;
⛓10th largest steel producer in the world (32.4 million tons).
Ukraine matters and its freedom and independence is important to us all

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Russia invade Ukraine on 15:32 - Feb 25 with 793 viewsCatullus

Russia invade Ukraine on 20:54 - Feb 24 by Dr_Parnassus

That’s the kind of silly article I’m talking about Cat.

So he misunderstood a point that a journalist made, responded to it.

What a non article and waste of internet space.

He said: "You know what’s also very dangerous is you told me about the amphibious attack by Americans. You shouldn't be saying that, because you and everybody else shouldn’t know about. They should do that secretly, not be doing that through the great Laura Ingraham.”

“No, those are the Russians,” she said, correcting him.

“Oh, I thought you said that we were sending people in,” Trump added. “That’ll be next.”

Silly to you maybe, purely because it shows Trump in a bad light.

Russia invade Ukraine on 15:46 - Feb 25 with 781 viewstrampie

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Russia invade Ukraine on 16:04 - Feb 25 with 765 viewsCatullus

Russia invade Ukraine on 15:46 - Feb 25 by trampie

The Russians and the Finns are old enemies, neither they nor Sweden are in NATO. It's a blatant power grab, a territory grab, Putin wants what isn't in the EU or NATO so he has a buffer between Russia and us.

It's why he probably wont go to Poland, Hungary Latvia, Lithuania or Estonia because NATO would have to act and that is far too dangerous a road, or is he that bonkers?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024