Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colston Statue vandals innocent 18:40 - Jan 5 with 15462 viewsFlashberryjack

Colston vandals are CLEARED: Gleeful BLM activists thank Banksy for his support after they are acquitted of criminal damage over toppling of Edward Colston statue - sparking outrage that jury has given a 'greenlight to political vandalism.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:23 - Jan 5 with 899 viewsLuther27

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:12 - Jan 5 by Sirjohnalot

https://thebristolcable.org/2021/12/colston-heavily-involved-in-britains-most-pr

Have a look at this. Can you imagine living in Bristol,and seeing the statue of this person everyday, knowing he was responsible or involved in the death of so many black people. The plaque on it, did Not mention anything to do with that, it praised him, celebrated his life.

If I was defending, I’d ask the jury to imagine that, especially if you’re black, if you had the opportunity, what would you do ? What was going through their minds, at that time, was it reasonable ? As the defence expert said ‘can you imagine if that was a statute of Hitler ?

On a side point, the Crown employed a QC to prosecute it ! Completely over the top. That’d have costs thousands.

Also goes to illustrate what I was saying about Capital punishment. Jury probably didn’t convict due to feeling sorry for them, a jury would likely not want to send someone to their death
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 20:17]

So you advocate the tearing down of for instance the statue of Cecil Rhodes at Oxford University?
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:27 - Jan 5 with 893 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:22 - Jan 5 by Professor

That’s not true Dr P.
Demand for meat is increasing per capita globally. Despite what vested interests of multinationals behind promoting ‘veganuary’ to sell highly processed foods.

It is true, because the levels are not sustainable.

With greater focus on climate change, Governments being put under pressure to get their act together and a more conscious culture starting to form in the world it is inevitable that meat consumption will eventually be scaled right back, especially with the development of lab generated tissue and alternative plant based meats.

One of the greatest threats to deforestation and climate change in general is cattle farming, by some considerable distance. It can't continue.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:28 - Jan 5 with 879 viewsFlashberryjack

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:22 - Jan 5 by Professor

That’s not true Dr P.
Demand for meat is increasing per capita globally. Despite what vested interests of multinationals behind promoting ‘veganuary’ to sell highly processed foods.

Could that have anything to do with population growth ?

Hello

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:34 - Jan 5 with 860 viewsLuther27

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:27 - Jan 5 by Dr_Parnassus

It is true, because the levels are not sustainable.

With greater focus on climate change, Governments being put under pressure to get their act together and a more conscious culture starting to form in the world it is inevitable that meat consumption will eventually be scaled right back, especially with the development of lab generated tissue and alternative plant based meats.

One of the greatest threats to deforestation and climate change in general is cattle farming, by some considerable distance. It can't continue.

Thing is if it’s not livestock it’ll be crop production. Cut me down on this but I’m pretty sure I read that we can’t maintain 8 billion people on plant diet even using frowned upon pesticides etc. Bottom line is there’s too many people for the planet to support.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:40 - Jan 5 with 842 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:34 - Jan 5 by Luther27

Thing is if it’s not livestock it’ll be crop production. Cut me down on this but I’m pretty sure I read that we can’t maintain 8 billion people on plant diet even using frowned upon pesticides etc. Bottom line is there’s too many people for the planet to support.

Nah there is enough food grown on the planet right now to feed every single person in the world.

The problem is 67% of it is used as animal feed, to develop animals to feed to 8% of the world. Its a horrifically inefficient model.

The amount of space needed to farm animals is off the charts. If that space was used to grow plants it would be more than enough to support the worlds needs and a many times over population increase.

Think of it on a smaller scale. If you used your whole garden to grow crops and vegetables, that would go a lot further than having a cow in it, having to have another garden to grow crops to feed it.

Twice the amount of land needed, about about 2% of the energy harvested if you were to then eat the cow as opposed to the crops you would have grown on the same plots of land.

To put it another way, for every 1 person you feed with that cow, you would feed 50 with the crops/vegetables grown on it if there was no cow there and the need to feed it.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 21:44]

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:40 - Jan 5 with 842 viewsFlashberryjack

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:34 - Jan 5 by Luther27

That's pretty obvious, bit like how many can this island support, there must be a tipping point, and it can't be to many years away.

Hello

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:48 - Jan 5 with 821 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 20:55 - Jan 5 by Sirjohnalot

It certain situations such as reasonable excuse and self defence that’s exactly what it is. You put yourself in the position of the defendant to see if what they did was reasonable.

It should be based on cold hard facts. Was this statue damaged? Did they damage it? Did they have the legal right to damage it? It’s hard to see how the answers are anything but yes, yes and no.

Their reason for carrying out the act of criminal damage is a mitigating factor and imagining how they were feeling genuinely aggrieved is an empathic point that may serve to lessen the sentence, but doesn’t excuse the fact the crime has been committed.

If a bloke comes home and finds his wife in bed with another bloke and kills them in a fit of rage you can imagine and empathise with his actions because of how he must have felt but the act of killing is still a crime.

The jury has failed in its duty in this instance.

The only conclusion I can make from this is the line between genuine protest and wanton vandalism has become blurred in much the same way as we have seen in the US with the fiery but mostly peaceful protests that left huge urban areas thoroughly destroyed and looted.

This is not progress, in my humble opinion of course. Other opinions are welcome.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:50 - Jan 5 with 819 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:48 - Jan 5 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

It should be based on cold hard facts. Was this statue damaged? Did they damage it? Did they have the legal right to damage it? It’s hard to see how the answers are anything but yes, yes and no.

Their reason for carrying out the act of criminal damage is a mitigating factor and imagining how they were feeling genuinely aggrieved is an empathic point that may serve to lessen the sentence, but doesn’t excuse the fact the crime has been committed.

If a bloke comes home and finds his wife in bed with another bloke and kills them in a fit of rage you can imagine and empathise with his actions because of how he must have felt but the act of killing is still a crime.

The only conclusion I can make from this is the line between genuine protest and wanton vandalism has become blurred in much the same way as we have seen in the US with the fiery but mostly peaceful protests that left huge urban areas thoroughly destroyed and looted.

This is not progress, in my humble opinion of course. Other opinions are welcome.

None of the nonsense progressive stuff we hear about is actually progress. Should be called regressives.

We now have safe spaces and segregation in many schools. Madness.

Login to get fewer ads

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:57 - Jan 5 with 808 viewsLuther27

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:40 - Jan 5 by Dr_Parnassus

Nah there is enough food grown on the planet right now to feed every single person in the world.

The problem is 67% of it is used as animal feed, to develop animals to feed to 8% of the world. Its a horrifically inefficient model.

The amount of space needed to farm animals is off the charts. If that space was used to grow plants it would be more than enough to support the worlds needs and a many times over population increase.

Think of it on a smaller scale. If you used your whole garden to grow crops and vegetables, that would go a lot further than having a cow in it, having to have another garden to grow crops to feed it.

Twice the amount of land needed, about about 2% of the energy harvested if you were to then eat the cow as opposed to the crops you would have grown on the same plots of land.

To put it another way, for every 1 person you feed with that cow, you would feed 50 with the crops/vegetables grown on it if there was no cow there and the need to feed it.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 21:44]

Two months ago there was a national food shortage….according to the Daily Mail mind.
I don’t for one second buy the meat is the root of all evil. It isn’t. Overpopulation is and I really don’t know what it takes for the world to wake up to that.
Example. I worked with a South African who in the last 30 years said thanks to Western charity and improved medication families of 8 to 10 are fast becoming the norm. How does the planet provide for an ever increasing population? Our climate has changed considerably in the last 30 years….what about the next 30 with a population of circa 12 billion people?
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:00 - Jan 5 with 800 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:57 - Jan 5 by Luther27

Two months ago there was a national food shortage….according to the Daily Mail mind.
I don’t for one second buy the meat is the root of all evil. It isn’t. Overpopulation is and I really don’t know what it takes for the world to wake up to that.
Example. I worked with a South African who in the last 30 years said thanks to Western charity and improved medication families of 8 to 10 are fast becoming the norm. How does the planet provide for an ever increasing population? Our climate has changed considerably in the last 30 years….what about the next 30 with a population of circa 12 billion people?

The average supermarket is probably throwing away thousands of pounds worth of perfectly good to eat food every week.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:09 - Jan 5 with 796 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:57 - Jan 5 by Luther27

Its not the root of all evil....

but it is unhealthy, is cruel, does contribute to deforestation more than anything else by some distance, is horrifically inefficient in terms of resources used to energy produced and causes more greenhouse gases than the aviation and motor industry combined.

In some places on earth its acceptable because crops are hard to grow. But in the Western world, its completely senseless really. Half the crops we grow are fed to animals for a small % to eat. If they ate those crops instead they would all have enough food.

Same goes for the wider population. Populations also don't just continue to grow, they have a peak. I think we may actually be towards the top of it, it will plateau and eventually subside a little. It wont just keep growing at the same rate, that doesn't really happen.

I think the max population expectation is 11 billion, then will start declining.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:12 - Jan 5 with 787 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 21:48 - Jan 5 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

There are just two defences in a criminal jury trial.

1. The jury shouldn’t convict you.

2. The jury don’t want to.

Get the evidence to lead the jury to one of those and you are on to a winner.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:17 - Jan 5 with 774 viewsLuther27

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:09 - Jan 5 by Dr_Parnassus

Its not the root of all evil....

but it is unhealthy, is cruel, does contribute to deforestation more than anything else by some distance, is horrifically inefficient in terms of resources used to energy produced and causes more greenhouse gases than the aviation and motor industry combined.

In some places on earth its acceptable because crops are hard to grow. But in the Western world, its completely senseless really. Half the crops we grow are fed to animals for a small % to eat. If they ate those crops instead they would all have enough food.

Same goes for the wider population. Populations also don't just continue to grow, they have a peak. I think we may actually be towards the top of it, it will plateau and eventually subside a little. It wont just keep growing at the same rate, that doesn't really happen.

I think the max population expectation is 11 billion, then will start declining.

It will indeed start to decline….mostly due to starvation, water shortage and wars.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:20 - Jan 5 with 766 viewsLuther27

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:00 - Jan 5 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

The average supermarket is probably throwing away thousands of pounds worth of perfectly good to eat food every week.

I agree but some are trying to redistribute to food banks and the homeless but a hell of a lot more needs to be done to encourage a reduction in food waste especially.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:23 - Jan 5 with 759 viewsraynor94

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 19:34 - Jan 5 by Sirjohnalot

A Crown Court does not set precedents. No one here was in court to hear the evidence
, so it’s always difficult to comment if you’re not there.

Twelve independent, normal members of the public heard all the evidence and cleared them
based on lawful authority or reasonable excuse.

Like it or not, it is democracy in action. The alternative is a single judge making a decision or simply the police Deciding who’s guilty or not

12 good people of Bristol, could the case been have heard elsewhere?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:24 - Jan 5 with 759 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:17 - Jan 5 by Luther27

It will indeed start to decline….mostly due to starvation, water shortage and wars.

Lots of different reasons. Economic, social and health being the 3 main ones.

Women are now being made to break their natural mold of motherhood to be more career driven, I expect a large downturn in population growth in the western world in the next 20 years.

Meat production and consumption is actually a large part of why it won't continue to grow. The burden on health services will be off the charts, the leading killer in many countries is now food related (which is essentially meat and animal products). The diseases also caused by it - that is if you are to believe the wet market stuff.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:26 - Jan 5 with 757 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:20 - Jan 5 by Luther27

I agree but some are trying to redistribute to food banks and the homeless but a hell of a lot more needs to be done to encourage a reduction in food waste especially.

The majority of wasted food is fresh food/meat/veg past its use by date. Still fine to eat but illegal to sell or give away. The stuff they donate is damaged tins, things with a best before rather than use by date.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:28 - Jan 5 with 756 viewsSirjohnalot

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:23 - Jan 5 by raynor94

There was never an argument for that. It needed to be heard there as in order to understand what the people thinking, a local jury is needed. They’d know how prominent the statute was, local feeling etc.

Having a qc prosecute, is a mind blowing waste of money
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:35 - Jan 5 with 741 viewsTreforys_Jack

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:24 - Jan 5 by Dr_Parnassus

Women are now being made to break their natural mold of motherhood to be more career driven, I expect a large downturn in population growth in the western world in the next 20 years.

Meat production and consumption is actually a large part of why it won't continue to grow. The burden on health services will be off the charts, the leading killer in many countries is now food related (which is essentially meat and animal products). The diseases also caused by it - that is if you are to believe the wet market stuff.

You're on fire in this thread fair play.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:41 - Jan 5 with 721 viewsLittleEnglandJack

Fantastic news, I'm off out to knock down some things in the public sphere that I don't like.

All I've got to have is a reasonable excuse, which apparently now extends to "I don't think it should be there".

With this in mind, I'll be starting with the Senedd
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:43 - Jan 5 with 718 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:35 - Jan 5 by Treforys_Jack

You're on fire in this thread fair play.

Studied the subject relentlessly years ago when making my veganism choices.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:45 - Jan 5 with 716 viewsLuther27

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:24 - Jan 5 by Dr_Parnassus

Agree about health services…Covid etc. Before Covid our life expectancy was steady…but in the UK we were being persuaded to adopt a Mediterranean type diet which a lot of the younger generation agree with. So I don’t think you can say eating meat….predominately red meat….is the main cause of mortality. Heart disease is at the top of uk mortality rates….but take Japan….not big eaters of red meat….or any meat really. Their biggest killer is bowel cancer I believe. So as far as diet is concerned I don’t think you can point the finger at something and say that’s the cause.
Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:54 - Jan 5 with 697 viewsDr_Parnassus

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:45 - Jan 5 by Luther27

Agree about health services…Covid etc. Before Covid our life expectancy was steady…but in the UK we were being persuaded to adopt a Mediterranean type diet which a lot of the younger generation agree with. So I don’t think you can say eating meat….predominately red meat….is the main cause of mortality. Heart disease is at the top of uk mortality rates….but take Japan….not big eaters of red meat….or any meat really. Their biggest killer is bowel cancer I believe. So as far as diet is concerned I don’t think you can point the finger at something and say that’s the cause.

Colon cancer and heart disease are huge offshoots of meat consumption. The correlation is clear between the leading causes of death in most countries and meat consumption.

Heart disease and colon cancers would be significantly reduced if it was not for meat consumption. The research is extensive.

Read this from the National Cancer Institute:-

https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2021/red-meat-colorectal

''Evidence implicating red and processed meat in the development of colorectal cancer has been building for years. In 2015, based on data from 800 studies, IARC classified processed meat as a human carcinogen (Group 1), meaning that there is enough evidence to conclude that it can cause cancer in humans. The evidence for red meat was less definitive, so IARC classified it as a probable carcinogen (Group 2A).''

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:58 - Jan 5 with 695 viewsDr_Parnassus

To put that into perspective, its a group 1 carcinogenic.

Within that same group is asbestos, neutron radiation, tobacco and welding fumes. I don't think people quite realise how dangerous it is on long term health.

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 23:22 - Jan 5 with 672 viewscontroversial_jack

Colston Statue vandals innocent on 22:23 - Jan 5 by raynor94

It wasn't the great train robbery or a multi million pound heist.Get a grip mate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024