Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh tourism tax 11:41 - Apr 13 with 17941 viewsbritferry

What you think?

I think it will be a terrible idea, it will put people off coming here.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/tourism-boss-says-anti-english-236

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Welsh tourism tax on 11:46 - Apr 13 with 3384 viewsLorax

Lots of places do this but they have some advantages like lots of sunny weather and lots of things to do.

If we want to draw more tourists to Wales we need to provide more interesting and fun things to do because beaches and glorious countryside aren't very popular in pouring rain.

I suppose the Wales is for the Welsh mob will like the idea of driving "outsiders" away.
Welsh tourism tax on 11:47 - Apr 13 with 3383 viewsunion_jack

I can only echo what was said in the article that to even consider this is unfathomable.

The WG just want to shoot themselves in the foot at any or every opportunity.

Incentives are needed not barriers.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welsh tourism tax on 11:57 - Apr 13 with 3359 viewsGwyn737

Could do it by stealth.

Anyone in Joe’s ice cream buying a flavour that’s not vanilla is bound to be a tourist so whack a quid on top.
Welsh tourism tax on 12:00 - Apr 13 with 3361 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 11:57 - Apr 13 by Gwyn737

Could do it by stealth.

Anyone in Joe’s ice cream buying a flavour that’s not vanilla is bound to be a tourist so whack a quid on top.

But, but, but....I like Raspberry Ripple!
Welsh tourism tax on 12:04 - Apr 13 with 3355 viewsGwyn737

Welsh tourism tax on 12:00 - Apr 13 by Lorax

But, but, but....I like Raspberry Ripple!

It’s a shame you’re wrong. Pay your quid 😉
Welsh tourism tax on 12:27 - Apr 13 with 3342 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 12:04 - Apr 13 by Gwyn737

It’s a shame you’re wrong. Pay your quid 😉

What about chocolate sprinkles? Don't tell me, a quid per piece?
Welsh tourism tax on 12:29 - Apr 13 with 3336 viewsGwyn737

Welsh tourism tax on 12:27 - Apr 13 by Lorax

You can have raspberry sauce and be grateful 🤣
Welsh tourism tax on 12:30 - Apr 13 with 3339 viewsbritferry

Welsh tourism tax on 12:27 - Apr 13 by Lorax

if you've queued down the road in the middle of a winter snow storm, then all taxes are exempt

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh tourism tax on 12:33 - Apr 13 with 3337 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

If there’s one thing the world doesn’t need right now it’s more tax.
Welsh tourism tax on 12:45 - Apr 13 with 3326 viewsLorax

Welsh tourism tax on 12:33 - Apr 13 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

If there’s one thing the world doesn’t need right now it’s more tax.

hang on, this site could do with more syn-tax!!!
Welsh tourism tax on 13:02 - Apr 13 with 3313 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

https://gov.wales/programme-government

The current Programme for Government in Wales is sadly lacking in specific measurements.

Who on here knows how this contributes to anything?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Welsh tourism tax on 13:12 - Apr 13 with 3299 viewsKilkennyjack

Its a great idea.

Many places do it.
A small amount at the person level, but a meaningful amount when put together.

Reinvest all the money collected to make Wales even better as a destination.

Some people on here lack the vision to see anything beyond what they already know.
Think mun.

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh tourism tax on 13:18 - Apr 13 with 3298 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Welsh tourism tax on 13:12 - Apr 13 by Kilkennyjack

Its a great idea.

Many places do it.
A small amount at the person level, but a meaningful amount when put together.

Reinvest all the money collected to make Wales even better as a destination.

Some people on here lack the vision to see anything beyond what they already know.
Think mun.

What would be good to understand is exactly how it will be used, not just tipped into the general pot.

Welsh tourism tax on 13:23 - Apr 13 with 3289 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 13:18 - Apr 13 by JACKMANANDBOY

What would be good to understand is exactly how it will be used, not just tipped into the general pot.

Totally agree.

Welsh tourism tax on 13:35 - Apr 13 with 3266 viewsSirjohnalot

Crazy idea. How would it be policed ? I’m Welsh, but live in England surely people would just say the lived in wales and give a false address. Are small businesses going to check ? Also suggest it’s discriminatory charging someone more on the basis of where they live. Ridiculous idea
Welsh tourism tax on 13:44 - Apr 13 with 3274 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Welsh tourism tax on 13:35 - Apr 13 by Sirjohnalot

Crazy idea. How would it be policed ? I’m Welsh, but live in England surely people would just say the lived in wales and give a false address. Are small businesses going to check ? Also suggest it’s discriminatory charging someone more on the basis of where they live. Ridiculous idea

The tourist tax in places like Rome have a logic, huge visitor numbers and lots of architecture to maintain, however even there there have been issues with the local authority.
What is described here, albeit, by a media outlet is very unclear. So if they said one pound for every overnight stay and the money to be dedicated to beach cleaning and maintaining footpaths for example, I would understand it. That proposal would it work for a whole country but maybe the National Parks

Welsh tourism tax on 13:44 - Apr 13 with 3274 viewsTreforys_Jack

If they want to raise funds, start charging for prescriptions again.
Welsh tourism tax on 14:19 - Apr 13 with 3241 viewscontroversial_jack

If we want to attract visitors here, let's make it more expensive for them. great idea, lol
Welsh tourism tax on 14:37 - Apr 13 with 3235 viewsBoundy

Why and I know this may sound crazy, but why don't the WAG get off their amply sized arsis's and at least try to encourage meaningful investment into Wales instead of an over reliance on tourism, which comes with low pay , little opportunities and infrequent employment.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh tourism tax on 14:46 - Apr 13 with 3229 viewsfelixstowe_jack

If Wales wants to raise more tax why don't they use their devolved power to raise income tax so every taxpayer on Wales pays it. Instead the Welsh senedd want to drive tourist away which will reduce income and people will loose jobs.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Welsh tourism tax on 14:53 - Apr 13 with 3224 viewsmajorraglan

If the money is ring fenced to make Wales a more attractive place with better facilities I’d have no issue with it on the proviso it is reasonable, say 50p per adult per night and 25p per child, that would equate to around a tenner per family per week which in the grand scheme of things isn’t a great deal. The charge in my opinion would be levied against every hotel room, B&B, camping pitch etc and collected by the proprietor. It would be charged against every booking regardless of nationality. Loads of places are already doing it and at much higher rates.

Agree with the points about getting more investment.
Welsh tourism tax on 15:18 - Apr 13 with 3212 viewspikeypaul

Dickford showing us all yet again he has not got a clue.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Welsh tourism tax on 15:29 - Apr 13 with 3205 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Welsh tourism tax on 14:53 - Apr 13 by majorraglan

If the money is ring fenced to make Wales a more attractive place with better facilities I’d have no issue with it on the proviso it is reasonable, say 50p per adult per night and 25p per child, that would equate to around a tenner per family per week which in the grand scheme of things isn’t a great deal. The charge in my opinion would be levied against every hotel room, B&B, camping pitch etc and collected by the proprietor. It would be charged against every booking regardless of nationality. Loads of places are already doing it and at much higher rates.

How do you define a tourist. How does the hotel or accommodation provider know it is tourist?

Would you still charge people who book overnight accommodation for other reasons?

A) business trips
B) people who book overnight accommodation for family reasons weddings, funerals, Christenings, visiting for Christmas visiting grandchildren
C) people who stay overnight accommodation for sporting, cultural, entertainment venues
D) people who may be visiting the area house hunting while moving jobs

Will it only apply to people from outside Wales or someone from Carmarthen who stays overnight in Cardiff

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Welsh tourism tax on 15:32 - Apr 13 with 3204 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Welsh tourism tax on 14:53 - Apr 13 by majorraglan

You just know the money will just be spunked away on yet another pointless vanity project in the Cardiff area.
Welsh tourism tax on 15:51 - Apr 13 with 3192 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh tourism tax on 13:44 - Apr 13 by Treforys_Jack

If they want to raise funds, start charging for prescriptions again.

So … sick welsh people pay for facilities for tourists - not sure its the winning idea that you think it is.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024