Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What would it cost to part with Martin? 14:45 - Aug 28 with 2816 viewscadleigh

Interested in what those with sources inside the club think it would cost us to part company with our current manager.

Apparently we paid £400k compensation to MK Dons. He still had a year left to run on his contract (they gave him a three-year contract too). They offered him a new one in the April before he left them but it doesn't look like he took up the option.

He has two years left with us, so I'd guess it could be a figure of around a million to settle with him?

No reason why we would have to pay anything to his backroom staff. They would be welcome to stay under a new manager, or go without compensation if they chose to follow Martin. And no reason why we'd need to pay compensation for the incoming manager, there are plenty who are not currently in jobs.

Poll: How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around?

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 14:49 - Aug 28 with 2802 viewsonehunglow

More to the point.What is the cost of relegation and if Martin stays my view is the club would be so rotten the new manager would struggle to avoid another. t has happened to the likes of a big club like Bolton Wanderers. Never be complacent

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 14:49 - Aug 28 with 2803 viewspencoedjack

Im not sure Martin will get another managers job for a while
What would it cost to part with Martin? on 14:51 - Aug 28 with 2796 viewsKeithHaynes

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 14:49 - Aug 28 by pencoedjack

Im not sure Martin will get another managers job for a while

People said that about cooper, well some.
Guaranteed he would get a bucket load of funding in his next job, that’s when his stock will be measured.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:02 - Aug 28 with 2753 viewsBadlands

Bring in a hands on director of football and let him resign.
I'm sure the stunning legal prowess within the Triust would win an unfair dismissal case.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:10 - Aug 28 with 2723 viewsPrettySheetyCity

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:02 - Aug 28 by Badlands

Bring in a hands on director of football and let him resign.
I'm sure the stunning legal prowess within the Triust would win an unfair dismissal case.

Perhaps if the former chairmen of the Trust didn't sanction legal expenditure of £300,000 pursuing a claim that was doomed to fail from the start and which made no commercial sense, the Trust could have loaned the money to the Club to pay off Russell Martin

Edit - sources added, I was wrong. Turns out it was £338,294.

2016 - £9,600
https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Swans-Trust-Acco
2017 - £43,069
https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/SCST-Directors-R
2018 - £77,184
https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/2018-Final-Accou
2019 - £68,407
https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/2019-Final-Accou
2020 - £73,452
https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/2020-accounts-to
2021 - £66,582
https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Swansea-City-Tru

[Post edited 28 Aug 2022 15:19]
What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:22 - Aug 28 with 2694 viewswaynekerr55

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:10 - Aug 28 by PrettySheetyCity

Perhaps if the former chairmen of the Trust didn't sanction legal expenditure of £300,000 pursuing a claim that was doomed to fail from the start and which made no commercial sense, the Trust could have loaned the money to the Club to pay off Russell Martin

Edit - sources added, I was wrong. Turns out it was £338,294.

2016 - £9,600
https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Swans-Trust-Acco
2017 - £43,069
https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/SCST-Directors-R
2018 - £77,184
https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/2018-Final-Accou
2019 - £68,407
https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/2019-Final-Accou
2020 - £73,452
https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/2020-accounts-to
2021 - £66,582
https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Swansea-City-Tru

[Post edited 28 Aug 2022 15:19]

Aye, it's all the fault of the Trust now...

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:30 - Aug 28 with 2670 viewsonehunglow

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:22 - Aug 28 by waynekerr55

Having had feedback from my Tree thread,I think a Stump buster would be the best way to remove him.We need no trace of him and this implement seems just the job

Russy Stumped

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:30 - Aug 28 with 2672 viewsPrettySheetyCity

Not the point that I was trying to make, I was just highlighting how ridiculous it is that these types of threads manage to come full circle to criticise the trust for settling the legal dispute.

For what it's worth, my view is that there is only one person to blame for our current situation, and it's Russell Martin. After all, it's not the Trust, Kaplan, Levien, Silverstein or any of ownership group on the training ground drilling these players.

I think it's time he packs his bags and goes, along with his rotten backroom staff. 2 wins in 13 league games. He's statistically as bad as Bob Bradley who had a 18.18% win percentage haha.
Login to get fewer ads

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:32 - Aug 28 with 2664 viewsonehunglow

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:30 - Aug 28 by PrettySheetyCity

Not the point that I was trying to make, I was just highlighting how ridiculous it is that these types of threads manage to come full circle to criticise the trust for settling the legal dispute.

For what it's worth, my view is that there is only one person to blame for our current situation, and it's Russell Martin. After all, it's not the Trust, Kaplan, Levien, Silverstein or any of ownership group on the training ground drilling these players.

I think it's time he packs his bags and goes, along with his rotten backroom staff. 2 wins in 13 league games. He's statistically as bad as Bob Bradley who had a 18.18% win percentage haha.

He was clearly a great salesman of himself and did a lot of preparation for his job interview.
I ve interviewed countless people and it's not always easy to spot a wrong un at an interview

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:34 - Aug 28 with 2656 viewsReslovenSwan1

They demanded the sacking of Mr Jenkins who left his role with Potter the manager with good academy players coming through like James Roberts Rodon Byers. He had admittedly had a bad season previously but i believe had turned the corner.

Swansea gave Man city a run for their money with the officials giving them a beak and Potter went on a long unbeaten home run. The Trust in my opinion have alot to answer for.

Jack to Judas why not get the Trust to actually help the club and invest their £500k settlement in new cheap shares or a low interest 5 year loan. Practical and useful. They have a lot of work to do to repair their tattered reputation.

Wise sage since Toshack era

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:55 - Aug 28 with 2630 viewscadleigh

Returning to an earlier point in this thread, I accept that the cost-benefit equation in potentially removing Martin needs to consider the possible costs of keeping him. Personally, I think the biggest potential costs there lie in the likely waste of talented players from his management style rather than any major threat of relegation.

But what do we think about that figure of £1m? Realistic or not? And frankly if the board haven't squirelled away at least that much out of Downes' fee against a rainy day, then we might as well give up now.

Poll: How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around?

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 19:30 - Aug 28 with 2520 viewswaynekerr55

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 15:34 - Aug 28 by ReslovenSwan1

They demanded the sacking of Mr Jenkins who left his role with Potter the manager with good academy players coming through like James Roberts Rodon Byers. He had admittedly had a bad season previously but i believe had turned the corner.

Swansea gave Man city a run for their money with the officials giving them a beak and Potter went on a long unbeaten home run. The Trust in my opinion have alot to answer for.

Jack to Judas why not get the Trust to actually help the club and invest their £500k settlement in new cheap shares or a low interest 5 year loan. Practical and useful. They have a lot of work to do to repair their tattered reputation.

Had a bad season??? We were on our arse financially after he decided to play real life championship manager post-Laudrup. He was brilliant up to that point, but we have debated this point over and over again.

That 900k needs to be used wisely, which of course we agree on

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 20:15 - Aug 28 with 2486 viewsCatullus

It's why I asked can we afford not to sack him. Lets put the price nominally at 2 million. If we are relegated how much is wiped off the value of every one of our players? Or, just Piroe, and Obafemi?

Then, if we were relegated, how much would we lose in revenue? Would season ticket and matchday prices drop? If they didn't would crowds drop dramatically and even if prces did drop, would the crowds drop anyway?

Saying we can't afford to sack him could easily be a massive false economy.

NB, why has anyone decided to turn this into an attack on the trust, the Trust didn't employ Martin and it isnt the Trust who have to sack him...or not!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 22:03 - Aug 28 with 2431 viewsQJumpingJack

Maybe the cheapest option is to put him on gardening leave.

If RM is in charge for QPR then it will be interesting to see Winter's programme notes online.
What would it cost to part with Martin? on 23:41 - Aug 28 with 2359 viewsReslovenSwan1

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 22:03 - Aug 28 by QJumpingJack

Maybe the cheapest option is to put him on gardening leave.

If RM is in charge for QPR then it will be interesting to see Winter's programme notes online.

The club have chosen the possession route as the way forward long term in an effort to recreate the glorious Jenkinista era. It is a sound philosophy.

Ideally Swansea player from u16 upwards will be versed in the skills of playing out from the back and retaining possession creating space and pass accuracy. Denmark skewered Wales in the Euros with super accurate passing on a different level to Wales. The Danish development school als dealt with Coopers's Swansea twice.

The cheapest option is therefore to help Martin not sack him. Williams left the club with no like for like replacement.

I sense Martin as Wenger and a bit egocentric. Being bottom of the table and fans shouting at him will soon deal with that, His ego will have been punctured and perhaps he now himself recognises the need for additional coaching input.

The appointment of solid club man like O'Leary with unimpressive CV suggests his need for validation not adaptation perhaps. Apologies if I have underrated O'Leary but he was plucked from Carmarthen Town not Barcelona.

Someone like Graham Jones will probably be well out of Swansea reach theses days. But someone in that mould would be ideal. It would be beneficial and relatively cheap.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2022 23:51]

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 20:47 - Aug 29 with 2198 viewsmajorraglan

Martin is being judged by most fans on his results on the pitch and if we are being honest things aren’t going great, I also think it’s fair to say at some clubs he already be out the door.

If you were the owner of Swansea City, what would influence your decision to stick or twist? Would the fact that Flynn Downes was signed for £1.5m and after a season under Martin was reportedly sold for 10 times that amount (bringing in a much needed injection of cash in to the club) influence your decision? If you thought the manager had the Midas touch and could deliver a golden egg influence your decision making? Would that trump the issue of the results?

I’m not saying the above is the case, I’m merely posing the question.
What would it cost to part with Martin? on 20:51 - Aug 29 with 2185 viewsWhiterockin

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 20:47 - Aug 29 by majorraglan

Martin is being judged by most fans on his results on the pitch and if we are being honest things aren’t going great, I also think it’s fair to say at some clubs he already be out the door.

If you were the owner of Swansea City, what would influence your decision to stick or twist? Would the fact that Flynn Downes was signed for £1.5m and after a season under Martin was reportedly sold for 10 times that amount (bringing in a much needed injection of cash in to the club) influence your decision? If you thought the manager had the Midas touch and could deliver a golden egg influence your decision making? Would that trump the issue of the results?

I have said before RM is keeping the financial side on an even keel with purchases and sales. IMO the owners are in no rush to get rid.
What would it cost to part with Martin? on 21:11 - Aug 29 with 2138 viewsCatullus

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 20:51 - Aug 29 by Whiterockin

I have said before RM is keeping the financial side on an even keel with purchases and sales. IMO the owners are in no rush to get rid.

Ok, I could understand that BUT the results still have to be good enough because if we get relegated we won't be able to attract thse promising players and develop them to make a profit.

Then there's Downes, he looked good down here but at WHUFC he's been slated, maybe looking good in this team won't look so good in the future seeing as Ray Kennedy, even now, might look quite good in this stale, slow motion nonsense.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 21:15 - Aug 29 with 2125 viewsjasper_T

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 20:47 - Aug 29 by majorraglan

We've produced £15m players every year since relegation, it's not a quality unique to Russell Martin. Potter had DJ and McBurnie, Cooper Brewster and Guehi. Just a shame the latter were for the betterment of other clubs.
What would it cost to part with Martin? on 21:17 - Aug 29 with 2125 viewsWhiterockin

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 21:11 - Aug 29 by Catullus

Ok, I could understand that BUT the results still have to be good enough because if we get relegated we won't be able to attract thse promising players and develop them to make a profit.

Then there's Downes, he looked good down here but at WHUFC he's been slated, maybe looking good in this team won't look so good in the future seeing as Ray Kennedy, even now, might look quite good in this stale, slow motion nonsense.

Agree the results have to be acceptable, but acceptable to us and the board could be different providing we are not in a relegation battle. IMO the owners could well suck it and see until Christmas.
What would it cost to part with Martin? on 21:42 - Aug 29 with 2094 viewsReslovenSwan1

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 21:15 - Aug 29 by jasper_T

We've produced £15m players every year since relegation, it's not a quality unique to Russell Martin. Potter had DJ and McBurnie, Cooper Brewster and Guehi. Just a shame the latter were for the betterment of other clubs.

Potter - James £15m
Cooper 1 - Mcburnie (preseason) £18m
Cooper 2 - Rodon £11m
Martin 1 - Roberts, Lowe (preseason) £5m
Martin 2 Downes £14m

£63 million in for players signed for less than £5m. Carry on the good work.

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 21:42 - Aug 29 with 2094 viewsCatullus

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 21:17 - Aug 29 by Whiterockin

Agree the results have to be acceptable, but acceptable to us and the board could be different providing we are not in a relegation battle. IMO the owners could well suck it and see until Christmas.

Are they paying attention though? Because as it stands we are in the relegation zone, Wednesdays game could be massive.

If they know anything at all about football they should understand that waiting too long could be disastrous, the team could be too far gone come Christmas. Martin has had a year, he has been allowed to choose his players and we have signed Cundle today, a midfielder when we are desperately short in the wing back department. or is he planning another square peg move and playing Cundle as a WB?

Right now I think he's capable of it, he put Wolff there after all.

2 games this week, if things don't improve greatly, surely the owners have to do something?

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 23:10 - Aug 29 with 2056 viewsmajorraglan

What would it cost to part with Martin? on 21:15 - Aug 29 by jasper_T

Indeed and it’s kept the club afloat, but the others had been with the club over a longer period of time whereas Downes is a literally a 12 month flip which has seen the club make a handsome profit. Something like that would make most owners sit up in interest. Does the Downes sale buy Martin time 8n the eyes of the owners.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024