Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia 11:44 - Oct 31 with 5052 viewsWhiterockin

Here we go again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67271423
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 13:03 - Oct 31 with 3039 viewsModeratorC

I’m busy that day sadly
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 13:08 - Oct 31 with 3039 viewsFatJack

Looks like more brown envelopes bunged full of cash being passed across the table again, FIFA is totally corrupt and to give it to Saudi Arabia is just as bad as giving it to Qatar, Massively corrupt Countries both of them,
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 13:22 - Oct 31 with 3012 viewsonehunglow

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 13:08 - Oct 31 by FatJack

Looks like more brown envelopes bunged full of cash being passed across the table again, FIFA is totally corrupt and to give it to Saudi Arabia is just as bad as giving it to Qatar, Massively corrupt Countries both of them,

No argument .
It’s filthy

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 13:28 - Oct 31 with 3015 viewsbennytheblue

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 13:22 - Oct 31 by onehunglow

No argument .
It’s filthy

Makes me want to puke particularly after the last two…..
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 13:38 - Oct 31 with 3008 viewsFlashberryjack

Here we go again, taking the knee, rainbow laces, what a bunch of hypocrites, the whole lot of them, that goes for the players and the governing bodies.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 13:43 - Oct 31 with 3000 viewsonehunglow

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 13:28 - Oct 31 by bennytheblue

Makes me want to puke particularly after the last two…..

Yet fans go .
They went to Qatar.
If we have a world left in 2034 ,it will still be the appalling regime and mindset in Saudi.
Footballers plying their trade there are simple whores

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 15:45 - Oct 31 with 2929 viewsReslovenSwan1

You do not understand business at all it seems. Saudi Arabia do not need to bribe anyone if they ever did, They can easily pay the going rate and outbid anyone else.

So who can they outbid? Er....... no one else is interested in this tournament. Only Australia and and they withdrew.

Wise sage since Toshack era

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 16:36 - Oct 31 with 2897 viewsonehunglow

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 15:45 - Oct 31 by ReslovenSwan1

You do not understand business at all it seems. Saudi Arabia do not need to bribe anyone if they ever did, They can easily pay the going rate and outbid anyone else.

So who can they outbid? Er....... no one else is interested in this tournament. Only Australia and and they withdrew.

Bribery is part of Arab culture
Saudi should not even be considered at all as it is a country that follows religious laws made thousands of years ago with the result Gay people get punished and women seen as subservient to man. Any man.

If there was a Godhe wouldn’t have put oil there

Login to get fewer ads

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 17:19 - Oct 31 with 2869 viewsmax936

It could all be over by then the way things are going in the world, its over 10yrs away.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 17:41 - Oct 31 with 2847 viewsWhiterockin

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 17:19 - Oct 31 by max936

It could all be over by then the way things are going in the world, its over 10yrs away.

Probably will be for me mate but I live in hope.
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 18:14 - Oct 31 with 2798 viewsdobjack2

They were a bit more subtle than usual. The reason for that crazy decision to hold the 2030 World Cup over 3 continents by holding matches in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay on top of the winning bid of Spain, Portugal and Morocco now becomes crystal clear. It ruled out South American countries from bidding for the 2034 World Cup.

Due to FIFA's confederation rotation policy, only member associations from the Asian Football Confederation and Oceania Football Confederation were eligible to host the 2034 World Cup. FIFA had made the decision to host the 2030 World Cup in three continents (Africa, Europe and South America) and the 2026 World Cup had been set to be held in North America, which meant that the 2034 World Cup would necessarily have to be held in Asia or Oceania. Observers saw this as paving the path for Saudi Arabia to host the 2034 World Cup by substantially reducing potential hosting bids. No shirt Sherlock on that one.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has strong ties with Asian Football Confederation president Salman bin Ibrahim Al Khalifa, who has backed Saudi Arabia's bid and of course with Saudi Crown prince Mohammed bin Salman. These ties are well known.

Australia was the only other country thinking of making a bid and they decided not to.

Has Infantino made FIFA even more corrupt than it was under a Blatter?
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 18:14 - Oct 31 with 2793 viewsReslovenSwan1

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 16:36 - Oct 31 by onehunglow

Bribery is part of Arab culture
Saudi should not even be considered at all as it is a country that follows religious laws made thousands of years ago with the result Gay people get punished and women seen as subservient to man. Any man.

If there was a Godhe wouldn’t have put oil there

The world populations are evolving at different paces. What is good for waterlogged Wales my not be ideal for arid Arabia. They like UK have a monarchy and in general like our philandering monarchy can do what they like and avoid the laws as applied to everyone else.

It is pretty clear they want to change as they look around the religious toxicity of Iran, Yemen and Afghanistan. Many of their movers and shakers have western education. Oman has strict rules I expect but the people are well cared for. Agitators are dealt with.

Corruption is present in the UK as seen with the Covid scams. Stability and communication leads to progress.

No one else wants this tournament only them. There will come a day when IOC or FIFA will have to pay Governments to hold their tournaments. The multi country bids indicate they are struggling to find hosts to bear the full cost alone. I detest the IOC. No Team GB.

Wise sage since Toshack era

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 21:20 - Oct 31 with 2723 viewsSullutaCreturned

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 18:14 - Oct 31 by dobjack2

They were a bit more subtle than usual. The reason for that crazy decision to hold the 2030 World Cup over 3 continents by holding matches in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay on top of the winning bid of Spain, Portugal and Morocco now becomes crystal clear. It ruled out South American countries from bidding for the 2034 World Cup.

Due to FIFA's confederation rotation policy, only member associations from the Asian Football Confederation and Oceania Football Confederation were eligible to host the 2034 World Cup. FIFA had made the decision to host the 2030 World Cup in three continents (Africa, Europe and South America) and the 2026 World Cup had been set to be held in North America, which meant that the 2034 World Cup would necessarily have to be held in Asia or Oceania. Observers saw this as paving the path for Saudi Arabia to host the 2034 World Cup by substantially reducing potential hosting bids. No shirt Sherlock on that one.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has strong ties with Asian Football Confederation president Salman bin Ibrahim Al Khalifa, who has backed Saudi Arabia's bid and of course with Saudi Crown prince Mohammed bin Salman. These ties are well known.

Australia was the only other country thinking of making a bid and they decided not to.

Has Infantino made FIFA even more corrupt than it was under a Blatter?

I think there is only one possible answer, yes.

I can't remember exactly when I stopped bothering with international football (though I did enjoy euro 2016) and yes I did watch several games of the last world cup but football, for me personally, has been ruined by greed. The same greed that's tearing the world apart.
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 20:49 - Nov 1 with 2545 viewsDr_Winston

At some point, the serious Confederations (UEFA and CONMEBOL basically) are going to have to bite the bullet and wrest control of the game back from FIFA.

FIFA can have all the Saudi Arabia World Cups they like, but with no teams from Europe or South America there nobody will care, with all due respect to the rest.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 21:03]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 06:58 - Nov 2 with 2495 viewsGwyn737

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 20:49 - Nov 1 by Dr_Winston

At some point, the serious Confederations (UEFA and CONMEBOL basically) are going to have to bite the bullet and wrest control of the game back from FIFA.

FIFA can have all the Saudi Arabia World Cups they like, but with no teams from Europe or South America there nobody will care, with all due respect to the rest.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 21:03]

I agree and it may take some player power to support it.

If you're a player who has a social conscience and want to play in an Arab sited world cup or play for Newcastle, Man City, PSG etc. some will say you're a hypocrite and no longer allowed to have a voice.
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 08:43 - Nov 2 with 2443 viewsonehunglow

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 06:58 - Nov 2 by Gwyn737

If you're a player who has a social conscience and want to play in an Arab sited world cup or play for Newcastle, Man City, PSG etc. some will say you're a hypocrite and no longer allowed to have a voice.

The competition is dependant on the players.
If they simply refuse ,en masse,to participate ,then it’s no competition .
They could have boycotted when Qatar was announced as a venue but choose the greed option instead of the moral .

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 09:08 - Nov 2 with 2434 viewsRobbie

Maybe nobody else wanted to stage this tournament , then the story was spun to make Saudi look like the succsessful candidate , bidding against nobody else .

It seems The Commonwealth Games are now finding Host Nations for their events difficult .
The costs and security risks of staging these competitions must now be immense .

Revenue from Broadcasting Rights and Sponsorship deals must finance a lot of the overheads , so where is the shortfall in income to make these events viable and attractive .
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 09:35 - Nov 2 with 2416 viewsWhiterockin

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 06:58 - Nov 2 by Gwyn737

Most players don't have a social conscience. By the time this comes around the Saudi Pro League will either be a top league attracting the best players, probably on tv attracting low live match day attendances, or crashed and burned. I wouldn't like to call it either way.
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 12:19 - Nov 2 with 2373 viewsSullutaCreturned

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 09:08 - Nov 2 by Robbie

Maybe nobody else wanted to stage this tournament , then the story was spun to make Saudi look like the succsessful candidate , bidding against nobody else .

It seems The Commonwealth Games are now finding Host Nations for their events difficult .
The costs and security risks of staging these competitions must now be immense .

Revenue from Broadcasting Rights and Sponsorship deals must finance a lot of the overheads , so where is the shortfall in income to make these events viable and attractive .

Nobody else did bid for it and in part that was because the whole situation was stage managed to ensure an Arab country would get the nod. A world cup staged collectively on 3 continents and so ruling out any country from those continetns from bidding meant only Oceania or an Arab country could bid, Australia pulled out because it was a fait accompli.

I don't see how we can justify this kind of tournament anymore. We are told the planet is in crisis and all over the world people are struggling so what do we do, have tens of thousands of people fly off to a foreign country to watch milionaires kicking a ball in stadia that were purpose built at enormous cost (and pollution probably) so a country or three can boast it's holding the tourney. After the tournament what happens to the stadia? What's happened in Qatar, anybody know?
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 14:23 - Nov 2 with 2331 viewsGwyn737

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 08:43 - Nov 2 by onehunglow

The competition is dependant on the players.
If they simply refuse ,en masse,to participate ,then it’s no competition .
They could have boycotted when Qatar was announced as a venue but choose the greed option instead of the moral .

My point was where does that end?

If a player would like to wear rainbow laces, how far should they go? Not play in an Arab world cup? Refuse a move to PSG, Man City or Sheffield United etc? Stay away from clubs with links to hedge funds in case some of the money is in countries with dubious human rights laws?

Same for supporters. I'm a bit of soft lefty, if the Swans were bought by an Arab consortium do I have to walk away?
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 14:48 - Nov 2 with 2326 viewsonehunglow

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 14:23 - Nov 2 by Gwyn737

If a player would like to wear rainbow laces, how far should they go? Not play in an Arab world cup? Refuse a move to PSG, Man City or Sheffield United etc? Stay away from clubs with links to hedge funds in case some of the money is in countries with dubious human rights laws?

Same for supporters. I'm a bit of soft lefty, if the Swans were bought by an Arab consortium do I have to walk away?

G
In this case,simply that Saudi is not a place worthy of this tournament

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 16:48 - Nov 2 with 2266 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 14:23 - Nov 2 by Gwyn737

It's the rank hypocrisy that gets me. Henderson being a case in point, making a stand for LGBTQ rights then taking money to play in a very unequal society with no LGBTQ rights at all.
The solution for footballers is to keep out of politics unless they are serious about their convictions.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 17:08 - Nov 2 with 2254 viewsGwyn737

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 16:48 - Nov 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

It's the rank hypocrisy that gets me. Henderson being a case in point, making a stand for LGBTQ rights then taking money to play in a very unequal society with no LGBTQ rights at all.
The solution for footballers is to keep out of politics unless they are serious about their convictions.

I agree with you about Henderson - it stinks.

But the wider point still stands. If you believe for example in the rainbow laces campaign, could you sign for Man City?

It’s like when people tell you you’re not allowed to be concerned about climate change because you went on holiday on an airplane, or that you can’t be concerned about refugees because you didn’t move a Ukrainian family in.

It’s just a different side of cancel culture
2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 17:54 - Nov 2 with 2233 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 17:08 - Nov 2 by Gwyn737

I agree with you about Henderson - it stinks.

But the wider point still stands. If you believe for example in the rainbow laces campaign, could you sign for Man City?

It’s like when people tell you you’re not allowed to be concerned about climate change because you went on holiday on an airplane, or that you can’t be concerned about refugees because you didn’t move a Ukrainian family in.

It’s just a different side of cancel culture

I think it comes down to people's tolerance of others and their understanding of the issues and their ability to think through complex issues intelligently. Instead of rational thought we get presented with poorly thought out outbursts based on fashions and social media nonsense.

I'll take your first example of rainbiow laces, what makes a difference here is a well written set of anti-discrimatory laws and how they are enforced. My personal view is that these are beyond the remit of a professional footballer and there are some conflicting causes in this arena. For example here is one area of complexity, there is a complete absence of women's or LGBTQ rights in most Arab countries. People like to take sides in the Israel Hamas War. Israel is one of the most liberal societies for LGBTQ people in the World, LGBTQ Arabs are safe in Israel, Arabs make up 20% of the Israel population and have the same rights as the rest of the population, whereas LGBTQ Arabs would face persecution in most Arab countries. Arab money is propping up a lot of the Premier League, most of it made from hydrocarban sales that impact the environment.
The World is not simple, people believe what they read are told without going into any serious research of the issues and we end up with misplaced arguments.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 18:02 - Nov 2 with 2227 viewsGwyn737

2034 World Cup set for Saudi Arabia on 17:54 - Nov 2 by JACKMANANDBOY

I think it comes down to people's tolerance of others and their understanding of the issues and their ability to think through complex issues intelligently. Instead of rational thought we get presented with poorly thought out outbursts based on fashions and social media nonsense.

I'll take your first example of rainbiow laces, what makes a difference here is a well written set of anti-discrimatory laws and how they are enforced. My personal view is that these are beyond the remit of a professional footballer and there are some conflicting causes in this arena. For example here is one area of complexity, there is a complete absence of women's or LGBTQ rights in most Arab countries. People like to take sides in the Israel Hamas War. Israel is one of the most liberal societies for LGBTQ people in the World, LGBTQ Arabs are safe in Israel, Arabs make up 20% of the Israel population and have the same rights as the rest of the population, whereas LGBTQ Arabs would face persecution in most Arab countries. Arab money is propping up a lot of the Premier League, most of it made from hydrocarban sales that impact the environment.
The World is not simple, people believe what they read are told without going into any serious research of the issues and we end up with misplaced arguments.

A lot of good points and a really sound example about Isreal. However taking the rainbow example; that’s in support for everywhere, including over here where being a ga6bfootballer is still an issue.

I’ll also add that calling players that play for Arab owned teams for wearing rainbow laces hypocrites is also extremely simple.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2023 18:03]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024