Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? 16:39 - Nov 17 with 7066 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wrexham are being pressed to change their name to 'Wrecsam'. It sounds the same and should not trouble our English speaking friends too much.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wrexham-ryan-reynolds-rob-mcelhenne

"Ham" is an Saxon word for brook I recall so it would be a Welsh mangling an original English name. Llanelli is now only Welsh which is good and the old mangled Lanelly has gone. There is Pen y bont now in the Cymru Adran. Bari and Caerfili seem straight forward.

People would object to a change in the whole word not pronunciation for example 'Swansea City' to 'Dinas Abertawe'. It is easy for our non Welsh speaking friends to say but falls foul of tradition. Names and shirt colours are staunchly defended by traditionalists. As a relaxed liberal myself I can see this is valid.

I do however propose to the good forum that the women's team be changed to 'Dinas Abertawe'. "They aint got no tradition" so it will not be a big leap into the unknown.

I sometime get irritated when I see "Swansea sign up new goalscorer" . I open the page in excitement and anticipation to discover " Stacey Morgan has signed from Pontypridd United".

Another thread for the faithful during the international break. Kindly.

[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 20:11]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 10:51 - Nov 19 with 780 viewsonehunglow

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 10:38 - Nov 19 by Whiterockin

They do seem to forget what league we play in, it is called the EFL for a reason.

It’s always been thus
The welsh league and now the LOW is just fine for small towns ,rural villages and the like.
Two Wales for sure.
Urban English speaking welsh and small town rural welsh .
That’s fine
We shouldn’t set up against each other .
I’ve said this before and will repeat,in my lifetime,,the most divisive subject in Welsh life without doubt . My paternal family all welsh mother tongue,my maternal family all English working class speaking .
Swansea dockers had more in common with Liverpool or Hull dockers than they had with hill farmers in Gwynedd . Fact .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 10:57 - Nov 19 with 778 viewspencoedjack

They do seem to forget what league we play in, it is called the EFL for a reason.

Yep all the time.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:08 - Nov 19 with 702 viewsReslovenSwan1

You and the Wirral bloke missed the point of the OP. I posted that changing Wrexham to Wrecsam was much ado about nothing as 'Wrexham' is an English word with 'Ham' being Saxon word for a small brook.

Swansea city play in the EFL and I agreed this should not change and would be massively unpopular.

However Wrexham Cardiff and Swansea Women have no links with the EFL

They play in the Genaro Adran Premier. Almost all the women in Swansea are Welsh qualified and significant number would be Wesh speakers and the play in a Welsh league with a Welsh name.

No Team GB.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:14 - Nov 19 with 696 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:08 - Nov 19 by ReslovenSwan1

You and the Wirral bloke missed the point of the OP. I posted that changing Wrexham to Wrecsam was much ado about nothing as 'Wrexham' is an English word with 'Ham' being Saxon word for a small brook.

Swansea city play in the EFL and I agreed this should not change and would be massively unpopular.

However Wrexham Cardiff and Swansea Women have no links with the EFL

They play in the Genaro Adran Premier. Almost all the women in Swansea are Welsh qualified and significant number would be Wesh speakers and the play in a Welsh league with a Welsh name.

No Team GB.

I did notice that you edited your original post after nearly 4 hours and five replies explaining the stupidity of your original post.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:20 - Nov 19 with 694 viewsReslovenSwan1

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:14 - Nov 19 by Whiterockin

I did notice that you edited your original post after nearly 4 hours and five replies explaining the stupidity of your original post.

Spelling changes only. I regularly do this as I have a tendency to misspell.

I fully understand the hostility to the name change of the women's team. The Anglo majority are out in force with their Union flags waving logos and misrepresentations. Re read the OP.

Opposition to new idea is the definition of Conservatism. It should not be a problem as the Women's tema as club entity is only a few months old.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2023 16:25]

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:55 - Nov 19 with 671 viewsKilkennyjack

We should change the name, yes.

Zimbabwe showed how.

First it was Rhodesia (sic).
Then Zimbabwe-Rhodesia for a short period.
Then simply Zimbabwe.

So Dinas Abertawe-Swansea City is our next step.

A brilliant idea.

I think welsh speakers should get discounts on season tickets to cement the deal.

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 17:27 - Nov 19 with 644 viewsKeithHaynes

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 16:55 - Nov 19 by Kilkennyjack

We should change the name, yes.

Zimbabwe showed how.

First it was Rhodesia (sic).
Then Zimbabwe-Rhodesia for a short period.
Then simply Zimbabwe.

So Dinas Abertawe-Swansea City is our next step.

A brilliant idea.

I think welsh speakers should get discounts on season tickets to cement the deal.

How about Swansea Abertawe ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:06 - Nov 19 with 627 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 17:27 - Nov 19 by KeithHaynes

I was following the Zimbabwe logic, but you have a good point.

You have my vote.

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:15 - Nov 19 with 609 viewsGwyn737

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 17:27 - Nov 19 by KeithHaynes

So good they named it twice?
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:37 - Nov 19 with 584 viewsunion_jack

Swansea-upon-Tawe?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:39 - Nov 19 with 571 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:37 - Nov 19 by union_jack

Swansea-upon-Tawe?

If its not broken why try and fix it.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:44 - Nov 19 with 550 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:48 - Nov 18 by ReslovenSwan1

The women's team are watched by less than 11% of the men's team. They want an identity. I suggest calling themselves 'Dinas Abertawe'.

I do not attack the good people of Swansea. I question the expatriates of the Wirral that knock everything Welsh enthusiastically promote disinterest in the national team and calls promoting Welsh as 'garbage'.

The "chip on the shoulder" is a weak trope used by people who cannot understand our culture.

No, actually you attacked every non Welsh speaking Welsh person and accused them all of trying to destroy Welsh. So by default you attacked Swansea people too.

Anyone who doesn't fit your idea of what to means to be Welsh gets a derogatory comment.

Go ahead, please, explain Welsh culture to me. I'm interested to hear your version of it.
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:58 - Nov 19 with 535 viewsunion_jack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:44 - Nov 19 by SullutaCreturned

No, actually you attacked every non Welsh speaking Welsh person and accused them all of trying to destroy Welsh. So by default you attacked Swansea people too.

Anyone who doesn't fit your idea of what to means to be Welsh gets a derogatory comment.

Go ahead, please, explain Welsh culture to me. I'm interested to hear your version of it.

Coracles, spinning wheels, tall black hats?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:01 - Nov 19 with 528 viewsunion_jack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:39 - Nov 19 by Whiterockin

If its not broken why try and fix it.

Indeed.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:29 - Nov 19 with 521 viewsonehunglow

Wirral bloke

Truly,we are buggered if this is taken seriously

It’s a big world outside those valleys

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:32 - Nov 19 with 514 viewsWhiterockin

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:29 - Nov 19 by onehunglow

Wirral bloke

This is true, but I'm afraid only those outside of the valleys can see it.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 20:58 - Nov 19 with 476 viewsQJumpingJack

If we are going to change the name, shall we change colours as well like Cardiff did a few years back???
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 21:18 - Nov 19 with 469 viewsKeithHaynes

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 20:58 - Nov 19 by QJumpingJack

If we are going to change the name, shall we change colours as well like Cardiff did a few years back???

Good point well made.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:19 - Nov 19 with 423 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:58 - Nov 19 by union_jack

Coracles, spinning wheels, tall black hats?

Another colonially induced inferiorized Welshman.…?

Your day has gone.
George Thomas is no more.

Get it right up ye ….🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:20 - Nov 19 with 422 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 20:58 - Nov 19 by QJumpingJack

No.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:27 - Nov 19 with 418 viewsBoundy

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:20 - Nov 19 by Kilkennyjack

No.

Why not ?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:27 - Nov 19 with 418 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 18:44 - Nov 19 by SullutaCreturned

Well your welsh culture is ‘for Wales, see England’.

Luckily the young value diversity, culture, equality and inclusion. A modern 2 language democracy is nothing for you to be scared of.
Better than Johnson and Mogg, a very low bar i know.

Plus the UK has huge debt, Brexit an unfolding disaster.

Whats that saying ….. ‘where privilage is all you know, then equality seems like oppression’.
We want Wales to be treated fairly, not like a bunch of children in a made up Principality.

Happy to help.

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:29 - Nov 19 with 417 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:27 - Nov 19 by Boundy

Why not ?

I like white under the floodlights.

I have an open mind though, what colour are you proposing ? Khaki ?

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 23:05 - Nov 19 with 410 viewslifelong

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 19:29 - Nov 19 by onehunglow

Wirral bloke

While watching the cricket today the attendance at the game was incredible, I wondered how many languages were spoken in a huge country like India so I thought I’d google it.
122 main languages and 1600 other languages, you should move out there you’d have a field day.😄
Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 23:48 - Nov 19 with 403 viewsBoundy

Welsh name for our football teams. Why not? on 22:29 - Nov 19 by Kilkennyjack

I like white under the floodlights.

I have an open mind though, what colour are you proposing ? Khaki ?

But most of our games are in daylight , but you knew that , didn't you ?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024