Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? 09:00 - Nov 22 with 5249 viewsSwansIndependent

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? 22nd Nov 2021 09:00
Once again the flags that supporters of the swans fly, a Welsh club playing by invitation in the English league system is up for debate. Saturdays brief entanglement with a Swansea supporter waving a Union Jack seems to have caused a few problems. 0

Leave every countries flag out of the decision making, click above.
Subscribe to us on Twitter below.

This post has been edited by an administrator
The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 09:28 - Nov 22 with 3288 viewsChief

I struggle to see the logic behind anyone bringing a union jack to a football game in support of a Welsh team and personally would delighted if I never saw one again.

But the club can't and won't ban it and I don't think I'd agree with the ban of a normal non politicised flag.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 09:30 - Nov 22 with 3285 viewsKeithHaynes

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 09:28 - Nov 22 by Chief

I struggle to see the logic behind anyone bringing a union jack to a football game in support of a Welsh team and personally would delighted if I never saw one again.

But the club can't and won't ban it and I don't think I'd agree with the ban of a normal non politicised flag.

An Indonesian flag ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 09:32 - Nov 22 with 3278 viewsChief

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 09:30 - Nov 22 by KeithHaynes

An Indonesian flag ?

A Vinny Tan style Malaysia flag would be a step too far

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 09:52 - Nov 22 with 3243 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

If it’s just a plain run of the mill Union Jack then it’s fine. And anybody getting upset over that is a bit of a snowflake. But any political slogans or emblems on it or any flag should be banned. Nobody wants politics in sport.
The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 09:53 - Nov 22 with 3241 viewsKeithHaynes

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 09:32 - Nov 22 by Chief

A Vinny Tan style Malaysia flag would be a step too far

👍😂

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 10:03 - Nov 22 with 3223 viewsDr_Winston

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 09:52 - Nov 22 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

If it’s just a plain run of the mill Union Jack then it’s fine. And anybody getting upset over that is a bit of a snowflake. But any political slogans or emblems on it or any flag should be banned. Nobody wants politics in sport.

Fair.

I've said before that people getting excited about flags is a bit pathetic, and I stand by that. If someone wants to display a union jack then that's their business. Wouldn't object to a ban on any political slogans on any flags though, and that includes Welsh ones.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 10:08 - Nov 22 with 3215 viewsBadlands

Union Jack or even the St George Cross with Swansea insignia or wording is fine. I really don't care if someone identifies themselves as long as they are supporting the Swans. But Red Hand and 'London is My Capital' are clearly designed to goad and provoke.
I don't know what happened on Saturday but there was booing heard over the clapping when players took the knee.
Football stadiums have been a rich recruiting ground for extremist right wing groups for many years (e.g. NF & Robinson AKA). It is now down't the club decide if they are going to weed out these trouble makers.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 10:10 - Nov 22 with 3202 viewsonehunglow

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 10:03 - Nov 22 by Dr_Winston

Fair.

I've said before that people getting excited about flags is a bit pathetic, and I stand by that. If someone wants to display a union jack then that's their business. Wouldn't object to a ban on any political slogans on any flags though, and that includes Welsh ones.

Yep,people see a flag as representing their family ,country and history.
The absolute swines .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 10:14 - Nov 22 with 3210 viewsKeithHaynes

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 10:08 - Nov 22 by Badlands

Union Jack or even the St George Cross with Swansea insignia or wording is fine. I really don't care if someone identifies themselves as long as they are supporting the Swans. But Red Hand and 'London is My Capital' are clearly designed to goad and provoke.
I don't know what happened on Saturday but there was booing heard over the clapping when players took the knee.
Football stadiums have been a rich recruiting ground for extremist right wing groups for many years (e.g. NF & Robinson AKA). It is now down't the club decide if they are going to weed out these trouble makers.

I remember back in 1979 the NF outside the North Bank, recruiting young kids. It worked.

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 10:39 - Nov 22 with 3154 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 10:08 - Nov 22 by Badlands

The London is our capital thing is clearly a jibe at the massive club with massive concourses up the road.
The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 10:55 - Nov 22 with 3126 viewsLohengrin

What about the flag of the European Union, a political construct, with a Swans logo appended?

For consistency sake, you know...

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 10:56 - Nov 22 with 3127 viewsunion_jack

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 10:39 - Nov 22 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

The London is our capital thing is clearly a jibe at the massive club with massive concourses up the road.

Not just them but devolution and independence. As much as I agree with that stance, it should be banned from the ground as anything supporting the opposite should be.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 11:03 - Nov 22 with 3117 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 10:55 - Nov 22 by Lohengrin

What about the flag of the European Union, a political construct, with a Swans logo appended?

For consistency sake, you know...

For the sake of fairness and inclusion we should have every flag in the world draped majestically from the rafters. So nobody can feel upset or left out.
The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 11:13 - Nov 22 with 3090 viewsLohengrin

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 11:03 - Nov 22 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

For the sake of fairness and inclusion we should have every flag in the world draped majestically from the rafters. So nobody can feel upset or left out.

What about the old Heligoland flag on every stanchion? This little beauty ought to keep everybody happy.

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 11:40 - Nov 22 with 3060 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 11:13 - Nov 22 by Lohengrin

What about the old Heligoland flag on every stanchion? This little beauty ought to keep everybody happy.

It’ll certainly keep the countless millions of heligolanders all around the world off our backs. Or perhaps it will make them want to kill us.

Maybe it’s not such a good idea after all?
The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 11:42 - Nov 22 with 3052 viewsLohengrin

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 11:40 - Nov 22 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

It’ll certainly keep the countless millions of heligolanders all around the world off our backs. Or perhaps it will make them want to kill us.

Maybe it’s not such a good idea after all?

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 11:56 - Nov 22 with 3036 viewstrampie

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 09:28 - Nov 22 by Chief

THIS.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 12:10 - Nov 22 with 3016 viewsThornburyswan

Agree, although personally I don’t see the point in bringing any flags you are there to watch the match not flag waive, join a matching band if that’s your thing.
The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 12:27 - Nov 22 with 2986 viewstrampie

For me, any Welsh flag of any description allowed, any none Welsh flag would have to have Swans or Swansea City written on it including the union jack .
That is just a preference, holding out an olive branch to people flying non Welsh flags in the home end of a Welsh ground, which I think in most cases is unfortunately done to antagonise.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 12:29]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 12:39 - Nov 22 with 2960 viewsTreforys_Jack

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 09:52 - Nov 22 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

This !!! End of thread
The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 13:24 - Nov 22 with 2884 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

There should be no ban on The St. George's flag. We compete in the English Football League after all.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 13:24 - Nov 22 with 2888 viewspencoedjack

If the British flag is banned at home games it will go up 10 fold at away games.
The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 14:22 - Nov 22 with 2816 viewsonehunglow

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 13:24 - Nov 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

There should be no ban on The St. George's flag. We compete in the English Football League after all.

And always have done

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 14:31 - Nov 22 with 2816 viewsReslovenSwan1

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 13:24 - Nov 22 by pencoedjack

If the British flag is banned at home games it will go up 10 fold at away games.

Team sport is a battle for honours against local rivals. It is almost always free of violence and hatred. Cardiff games are battles to determine who is no 1 in Wales, and most likely to take the battle against the mighty 'Sais' with the biggest teams in Europe and on the planet.

I see Swansea games as good England v Wales battles. It is a chance to put one over the old enemy in friendly competitive battles.

If Swansea fans go to "battle" with the enemy flags then this will naturally rub some up the wrong way. It is a flag representing appeasement and surrender. No thanks.

We are all British and most if called to arms would fight. But this is football and Swansea represent Wales and no one else.

Wise sage since Toshack era

The battle of the flags, but will Swansea City ban the Union Jack ? on 15:04 - Nov 22 with 2776 viewsLittleEnglandJack

I've always personally quite liked that our support has outwardly unionist and nationalist factions within it that for the most part co-exist peacefully. Seeing the flags of both side by side in the ground serves as a reminder that football can be a unifier and that, at the end of the day, we're all of us of different political persuasions and identities brought together by a common love for the Swans.

Let 'em all fly (within reason), I say. Yma O Hyd next to Swansea Loyal. Anybody doesn't like it and kicks up a fuss? Out the door they go. If you can't tolerate being sat in the same ground, supporting the same team, as someone with an openly different political persuasion for 90 minutes, then being a football fan probably isn't for you.

Unfortunately, however, if people can't manage that, the safest option is probably to ban flags that could be at all construed as political (goodbye Welsh Republican flag)- and our support will lose something for it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024