Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The media 07:55 - Nov 9 with 2513 viewsdickythorpe

Brexit was a a shock result.

Trump winning was a shock.

Really?

The media seems to call all things they don't back or like a "shock"
The media on 08:06 - Nov 9 with 2128 viewsyescomeon

The media are the main reason these things happen.

Upthecity!

The media on 08:37 - Nov 9 with 2099 viewsjojaca

The media on 08:06 - Nov 9 by yescomeon

The media are the main reason these things happen.

I expect Internet censorship will be heading our way soon. Folks are using alternative media on the net these days. I read both sides and you start to get the news behind the news.

Even when you know, you never know?

The media on 09:08 - Nov 9 with 2058 viewsyescomeon

The media on 08:37 - Nov 9 by jojaca

I expect Internet censorship will be heading our way soon. Folks are using alternative media on the net these days. I read both sides and you start to get the news behind the news.

Way I see the papers is you have to read it all or none of it. I choose the latter, hard enough keeping up with journals and the demise of the swans without papers on top of that.

Upthecity!

The media on 10:44 - Nov 9 with 2020 viewsCatullus

If it it wasn't for social media we would know hardly any of the truth in most situations.
The Western world has been governed by certain families and their accomplices for decades.
Maybe a new world order is coming but maybe it's one us ordinary people will like? I live in hope.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The media on 10:46 - Nov 9 with 2011 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The truth was out there, but even Google was censoring Trump good news and Clinton bad news, just like the MM.
The media on 11:20 - Nov 9 with 1981 viewsjack247

They were both shocks though. They will probably call it a shock if we beat Everton, whether they want us to or not.
The media on 15:01 - Nov 9 with 1886 viewsLord_Bony

Talking of the media..

Just come out of a chip shop in Newport on my lunch break and who should be there...Lucy Cohen...

giving an interview about the new Friars Walk complex behind I kid you not...

You might see me standing behind her grinning with my sausage in hand...

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The media on 15:53 - Nov 9 with 1843 viewsnice_to_michu

Yeh, the media got the prediction wrong, that's for sure.

But the truth of it is that many people, just as we saw with Brexit, did not admit to the pollsters that they were considering voting with the far-right. It's a silent vote.

That's tough for pollsters to work with because it's unpredictable by its nature.
Login to get fewer ads

The media on 16:06 - Nov 9 with 1830 viewsswanjackal

The media on 15:53 - Nov 9 by nice_to_michu

But the truth of it is that many people, just as we saw with Brexit, did not admit to the pollsters that they were considering voting with the far-right. It's a silent vote.

That's tough for pollsters to work with because it's unpredictable by its nature.

Very true. I think (personal opinion) a lot of people are afraid of admitting to vote in a conservative way due to the backlash that is often seen against them these days. Remaining silent and then voting with their true feelings does skew polls, as does poor sampling by polling organisations, something that has admittedly been occurring in the US this cycle.

I would hope it would be devious people looking to lull false hopes, but I don't think the average person is that salacious.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2016 16:54]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

The media on 17:34 - Nov 9 with 1774 viewswaynekerr55

The media on 15:01 - Nov 9 by Lord_Bony

Talking of the media..

Just come out of a chip shop in Newport on my lunch break and who should be there...Lucy Cohen...

giving an interview about the new Friars Walk complex behind I kid you not...

You might see me standing behind her grinning with my sausage in hand...

"with my sausage in hand"

You'll end up on an indecent exposure charge Lord

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The media (n/t) on 18:01 - Nov 9 with 1737 viewsVetchitBack

The media on 15:53 - Nov 9 by nice_to_michu

Brexit and Trump in part happened because people like you have been labelling any dissent as far-right.

Control language you control debate and you control people. Only for so long though.

Luckily free-thinkers are wising up to this.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2016 18:08]

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

The media (n/t) on 18:16 - Nov 9 with 1705 viewsswanjackal

The media (n/t) on 18:01 - Nov 9 by VetchitBack

Brexit and Trump in part happened because people like you have been labelling any dissent as far-right.

Control language you control debate and you control people. Only for so long though.

Luckily free-thinkers are wising up to this.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2016 18:08]

Nobody likes to be called a racist/bigot, which is the go to insult to try and shut down a discussion/view that opposes their own.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

The media (n/t) on 19:35 - Nov 9 with 1651 viewsjacksfullaces

The media (n/t) on 18:16 - Nov 9 by swanjackal

Nobody likes to be called a racist/bigot, which is the go to insult to try and shut down a discussion/view that opposes their own.

shut down?

if the view is racist or bigoted (the latter I agree could be more of a matter for conjecture) then how is that closing it down?

Defend the viewpoint then?

You may come across as selfish and insular - but you have the right to be just that - so go on, defend it - I am open to hearing all views

Quite frankly I couldn't care less about Trump - have enough people I live cheek to jowel with who clearly have a different view of the world than me - but ultimately Darwin would say the strongest line survives, so being selfish and bigoted is probably most peoples natural position (to a greater or lesser degree)
The media (n/t) on 21:05 - Nov 9 with 1589 viewsswanjackal

The media (n/t) on 19:35 - Nov 9 by jacksfullaces

shut down?

if the view is racist or bigoted (the latter I agree could be more of a matter for conjecture) then how is that closing it down?

Defend the viewpoint then?

You may come across as selfish and insular - but you have the right to be just that - so go on, defend it - I am open to hearing all views

Quite frankly I couldn't care less about Trump - have enough people I live cheek to jowel with who clearly have a different view of the world than me - but ultimately Darwin would say the strongest line survives, so being selfish and bigoted is probably most peoples natural position (to a greater or lesser degree)

Not sure what your point is to be truthful.

By all means if someone has uttered something that is perceived as racist, call them out on it, but justify how it is first, and give them a right to reply.

Often people are labeled a racist/bigot from a single statement, and because it is a surefire way to put a person on the defensive. Everyone has bigotries but to call someone out as racist is something that requires significant evidence.

I agree with defending a viewpoint and backing it up. For example, people blanket accused other people that voted for Brexit of being racists/bigots, supporters of Trump as being bigoted/racist, and so on, with little facts to back it up, not knowing their position.

By someone jumping to the bigoted argument without all the facts, a trick commonly used with extreme left positions often in recent times, then they strike down discussion. And as I said, a lot of people baulk at being called those things, and it derails any meaningful discussions.

So as I said, shutting down discussions is not productive by asserting someone is racist/bigoted because they hold a different view to the person calling them it.

The media on 21:07 - Nov 9 with 1579 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I must say it has been delightful reading the hilarious statuses on social media.

Anyone would think the leader of the KKK was just elected president and has promised to nuke Moscow tomorrow.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

The media on 21:17 - Nov 9 with 1566 viewslondonlisa2001

The media on 21:07 - Nov 9 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I must say it has been delightful reading the hilarious statuses on social media.

Anyone would think the leader of the KKK was just elected president and has promised to nuke Moscow tomorrow.

Nah - the leader of the KKK only endorsed the person who was elected president and campaigned for him.

Interestingly, the shares in BAE closed today at an all time high by the way.
The media on 21:28 - Nov 9 with 1537 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

The media on 21:17 - Nov 9 by londonlisa2001

Nah - the leader of the KKK only endorsed the person who was elected president and campaigned for him.

Interestingly, the shares in BAE closed today at an all time high by the way.

And Clinton was endorsed and given tens of millions in funding by the likes of Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

And well that is great news for a British company.

The media on 21:37 - Nov 9 with 1523 viewslondonlisa2001

The media on 21:28 - Nov 9 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

And Clinton was endorsed and given tens of millions in funding by the likes of Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

And well that is great news for a British company.

She was indeed.

And the relationship of the US and the U.K. with Saudi is a stain on both countries.

But spare me the hypocrisy - the Bin Laden family lived in Trump Tower before their removal from the US following 9/11. And I'll guarantee that the relationship between the Saudis and the US will remain intact after January as well.

Anyone that believes Trump will change that is living in cloud cuckoo land.
The media on 21:42 - Nov 9 with 1514 viewsblueytheblue

The media on 21:37 - Nov 9 by londonlisa2001

She was indeed.

And the relationship of the US and the U.K. with Saudi is a stain on both countries.

But spare me the hypocrisy - the Bin Laden family lived in Trump Tower before their removal from the US following 9/11. And I'll guarantee that the relationship between the Saudis and the US will remain intact after January as well.

Anyone that believes Trump will change that is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Clinton was endorsed by the head of the KKK in California.

There's the whole Whitewater, Vincent Foster stuff too...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

The media on 21:56 - Nov 9 with 1497 viewslondonlisa2001

The media on 21:42 - Nov 9 by blueytheblue

Clinton was endorsed by the head of the KKK in California.

There's the whole Whitewater, Vincent Foster stuff too...

As I have said on at least a dozen occasions, I don't like Clinton.

I think Trump is odious, but in some ways I couldn't give a toss who won, as long as it doesn't adversely affect me which it probably won't. I do think many who voted for him are seriously misguided - his economic policies won't work in the way he says they will, as they never, ever have, whenever they've been tried. He will benefit the wealthiest Americans and only the wealthiest and will be a massive friend of large corporates (hence the stock markets). She would have been more inclusive economically. But that's up to them.

I do think that American politics is infested with corporate self interest, lobbyists, corporate greed, favours etc and he could potentially do everyone a good turn if he actually gets rid of that. In practice, he may not, as he is as self interested as it's possible to be.

Social policies - who knows? He said what he said to appeal to the rednecks - I wouldn't be at all surprised if he walks most of it back to be honest. He's far more of a liberal New York democrat than he has pretended to be. Still a horrible little man though, and an idiot to be frank to say stuff he can't possibly do. He may well end up the least popular president of all time if he goes back on everything he's promised.
The media on 00:46 - Nov 10 with 1410 viewsKerouac

I'm a Brexit voter (1 of the very, very few Lib Dems who are).
I see no reason why we can't have free trade, or very low tariffs at the least, and cooperate in the ways which make sense for us to do so WITHOUT THE NEED FOR FULL SCALE POLITICAL UNION.
Tony Benn reached the same conclusion as myself.

Why do people feel they can label me, and people like me, as "far right"?

These days there is widespread misuse of the English language, as if words don't matter.
Others go further and wilfully make misrepresentations of what their political foes have said in the vain hope that telling fibs strengthens their own case.
I blame the teaching standards that have become the new normal since about 1975 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

The media on 04:55 - Nov 10 with 1372 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I wonder if Trump voters were assaulting Clinton supporters and then car jacking them, it would make mainstream media?

The media on 09:31 - Nov 10 with 1319 viewsdickythorpe

On a side note hasnt Hilary Clinton aged badly!
The media on 09:43 - Nov 10 with 1311 viewsHighjack

The media on 04:55 - Nov 10 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I wonder if Trump voters were assaulting Clinton supporters and then car jacking them, it would make mainstream media?

Brilliant quote from one of the protestors "I think the whole point of this protest is to raise awareness that trump has just won".

This planet is riddled with these people.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The media on 16:57 - Nov 11 with 1243 viewsCatullus

So, was it racist when Farage called Obama an "odious creature"?

Personally I don't think so. Some people though will take any opportunity to attack Farage.......and Trump.

PS sorry Lisa but I disagree with you about Clinton, she'd have been just as bad as Trump, if mot worse.
What is puzzling me is who is behind Trump pulling the strings? He comes across as far too impulsive and loud mouthed to do this without someone with a lot of influence 'helping' him.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024