Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak 03:40 - Jan 24 with 1269 viewsDavillin

Well, I'm finally getting a handle on translating Premier League Manager-Speak.

Into American English, of course.

Here's my most recent accomplishment: The LIverpool manager was speaking about the panic-induced emergency team meeting he held after losing to Swansea.

One of his main points was that Liverpool, being a high-ranked marvel, "have to learn how to play teams at the bottom of the Table who put nine men behind the ball."

Translation: "Swansea out-smarted us, out-coached us, and out-played us."

Dawdle.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 05:54 - Jan 24 with 1230 viewsjack247

....and score three goals at Anfield. That's quite some feat with nine men behind the ball.
I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 07:16 - Jan 24 with 1180 viewsJethroJack

One thing for sure, Llorente was well behind the ball as Carroll crossed it, that's why he powered through 3 Liverpool defenders to score with a classic header. Best cross & headed goal of the season thus far, put that in your pipe & smoke it, Klippety.
I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 08:08 - Jan 24 with 1124 viewslegoman

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 07:16 - Jan 24 by JethroJack

One thing for sure, Llorente was well behind the ball as Carroll crossed it, that's why he powered through 3 Liverpool defenders to score with a classic header. Best cross & headed goal of the season thus far, put that in your pipe & smoke it, Klippety.

....Klippety.....brilliant!!

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 09:50 - Jan 24 with 1041 viewsdickythorpe

Is Klopp one of the most overrated managers in the PL
I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 09:57 - Jan 24 with 1026 viewsPegojack

I wonder if Paul Clement had an emergency meeting after the match to discuss how the Swans should play when the officials are visually impaired at vital moments, i.e. a Firmino push in the back for their first goal and a Wijnaldum handball for their second.
I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 09:58 - Jan 24 with 1023 viewsBloodyhills

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 07:16 - Jan 24 by JethroJack

Fair play. 'Klippety' is funny :D

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 13:07 - Jan 24 with 952 viewsJethroJack

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 08:08 - Jan 24 by legoman

....Klippety.....brilliant!!

😁
I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 13:08 - Jan 24 with 947 viewsJethroJack

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 09:58 - Jan 24 by Bloodyhills

Fair play. 'Klippety' is funny :D

😝
Login to get fewer ads

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 13:17 - Jan 24 with 927 viewsLeonWasGod

Maybe you can help us reverse translate some Americanisms.

For example:
"When I have a chance to observe different managers, the ones that do good work, I mention Pochettino, Klopp, [Thomas] Tuchel that took over for Klopp at Dortmund, he’s a fantastic young manager. We haven’t even talked about the Guardiolas and the Ancelottis. But I’ll tell you what, maybe I’m stupid, but I think I’m a manager in and around that level." Bob Bradley, 2016

Any idea wtf he was talking about there?
I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 14:23 - Jan 24 with 882 viewsjack247

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 13:17 - Jan 24 by LeonWasGod

For example:
"When I have a chance to observe different managers, the ones that do good work, I mention Pochettino, Klopp, [Thomas] Tuchel that took over for Klopp at Dortmund, he’s a fantastic young manager. We haven’t even talked about the Guardiolas and the Ancelottis. But I’ll tell you what, maybe I’m stupid, but I think I’m a manager in and around that level." Bob Bradley, 2016

You can't blame him. He has carved a long career off the back of that bluster
I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 16:14 - Jan 24 with 813 viewsDavillin

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 13:17 - Jan 24 by LeonWasGod

For example:

Glad to help. What he was talking about is there in black and white: "maybe I'm stupid."

But we already know that about him with regard to socc, oops, "football."

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 17:27 - Jan 24 with 781 viewsvetchonian

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 09:50 - Jan 24 by dickythorpe

Is Klopp one of the most overrated managers in the PL

No according to one Bob Bradley he is at the same level as him!

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 17:51 - Jan 24 with 752 viewsLeonWasGod

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 16:14 - Jan 24 by Davillin

Glad to help. What he was talking about is there in black and white: "maybe I'm stupid."

But we already know that about him with regard to socc, oops, "football."

They 'maybe' seems a bit unnecessary
I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 19:12 - Jan 24 with 711 viewsDavillin

I can't believe I just found this article, which is dead on with my o.p. Read it and weep. Or better, read it and chuckle. My definition has been proven accurate. Yeah!

Liverpool's Klopp 'almost eaten alive when he played long ball against Swansea'

Have Liverpool's late tactics against Swansea City been made to look archaic?

By Glen Williams

17:32, 24 JAN 2017Updated17:36, 24 JAN 2017

Niall Quinn believes the demand for passing football has had a big impact on the number nine position which was once iconic of English football.

The 'false nine' was a trademark of the Premier League, but now calls for the position have lessened as the playing style has changed.

Liverpool fell 3-2 behind to Swansea City on the weekend and attempts to drum up an equaliser continued to be rebutted by Paul Clement's side.

In a last ditch effort, Jurgen Klopp summoned defender Joel Matip from the bench to play up front as a target man - which ultimately failed.

"Jurgen Klopp was risking getting eaten alive by the internet piranhas as he instructed Liverpool to go long ball as a response to the new muscular approach that Swansea are playing with," Quinn wrote for Sky Sports .

"The influence of tippy-tappy and the wave of thoughtful new managers coming in from the continent has been good for the game."

Target men were a regular feature back when Quinn plied his trade for Arsenal, Manchester City and Sunderland, but fewer seem to be gracing England's top flight as the years rumble on.

Klopp has even opted to play without a recognised striker - instead choosing the likes of Roberto Firmino to lead the line.

It seems the need for fluidity and and slickness of passing has taken precedent - resulting in the dying breed of the big number nines synonymous with Premier League football.

The continental impact of tiki-taka, made fashionable by the successful Barcelona teams of the 2000s, began sweeping across the football world.

England, a country which was lauded as the most exciting league in the world, began to look dated according to Quinn.

As a player who was a 'false nine' himself, he argues English football's bid to keep up with other leagues means the position has become redundant.

He added: "(England has) The most exciting league maybe, but when we looked to Spain or Germany and watched the elite teams racking up incredible possession stats through tippy-tappy play we wondered if they looked on us as cavemen."
_________
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-klopp-alm

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 19:29 - Jan 24 with 694 viewsblueytheblue

Niall Quinn was a false 9?

In which particular universe?

Poll: Alternate POTY final

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 19:32 - Jan 24 with 686 viewsmonmouth

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 19:29 - Jan 24 by blueytheblue

Niall Quinn was a false 9?

In which particular universe?

In the universe of shit 9s.

He still couldn't make it as a real one.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 11:49 - Jan 25 with 606 viewsWarwickHunt

I'm Getting a Handle on Translating Premier League Manager-Speak on 14:23 - Jan 24 by jack247

You can't blame him. He has carved a long career off the back of that bluster

Bullshit baffles brains, or in our case, bullshit baffles fûckwit.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024