Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rodney Marsh 18:00 - May 6 with 3441 viewsWestonsuperR

Having just listened to the Fans Forum and the latest Podcast, both with Rodney, it has only added to my opinion that Marsh may be a QPR legend but he's also a bit of a 'loud mouth' who loves the sound of his own voice but actually has very little substance to any argument he puts across.

If you listen back to most points made and analyse what he says it often doesn't make sense and you get the impression that he feels if he is loud and confident enough people will listen without questioning what he is actually saying.

I was disappointed he was invited onto both panels as some of the other guests were very good (Gallen for example on the Podcast).
Rodney Marsh on 18:07 - May 6 with 2701 viewssimmo

I would say that a full and successful professional career gives him a lot of credibility, it's not as if he's out of the game completely with his contribution work. I think he probably embelishes things slightly and is obviously pretty good at 'working the room' but I didn't disagree with a lot of what he was saying and even if I did I would rather that than him being diplomatic.

Gallen I thought was excellent though, fully shared his views on nearly everything, especially QPR related.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Rodney Marsh on 18:19 - May 6 with 2660 viewsToast_R

Agree he'a a bit of a dick.

Remember RODNEY'S GONG?
Rodney Marsh on 18:49 - May 6 with 2579 viewsWestonsuperR

....and how annoying is it that both Rodney and Gallen had to add the words 'in my opinion' to pretty much everything they said, it's obviously your opinion because you just bloody said it! Seems to be a trendy thing to say these days but very annoying.
Rodney Marsh on 19:21 - May 6 with 2507 viewssmegma

Rodney Marsh on 18:49 - May 6 by WestonsuperR

....and how annoying is it that both Rodney and Gallen had to add the words 'in my opinion' to pretty much everything they said, it's obviously your opinion because you just bloody said it! Seems to be a trendy thing to say these days but very annoying.

and thats your opinion !!!
Rodney Marsh on 20:03 - May 6 with 2411 viewsthame_hoops

that's Rodneys charm though!

I thought he was hilarious and gallen too

what a good podcast but why is part2 only available?
Rodney Marsh on 20:25 - May 6 with 2335 viewsdaveB

Thats Rodney all over though, a lot of what he says is for effect to stir up debates, I thought he made a few good points on the podcast
Rodney Marsh on 20:35 - May 6 with 2282 viewsconnell10

i think rod talks a load of boolox! why didnt anyone mention stan bowles to him!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Rodney Marsh on 20:41 - May 6 with 2270 viewspaulparker

i think rodney gets a lot of unfair stick of us
yes the gerry affair was ill thought out but he was used by thompson to push out francis, rodney was our 1st maverick & my dad & grandads fav player
he helped put us on the map and scored a great goal in our only cup final victory
never forget when we played man city aropund 91 or 92 rodney was guest of honour and in the stands anyway me & the old man were in the loft and we were smashing them i think 4-0 , the whole stadium was then chanting rodneeee rodneee, rodneee
the grin on my dads face was a picture

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Rodney Marsh on 20:52 - May 6 with 2252 viewsfrancisbowles

Good post.
Rodney Marsh on 21:02 - May 6 with 2218 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I went along to the event last night and really enjoyed it. Rodney came across to me as a good bloke and proper QPR man. It was great to meet Kevin Gallen as well.
[Post edited 6 May 2014 21:23]
Rodney Marsh on 21:08 - May 6 with 2206 viewseasthertsr

As I'm of a certain vintage I can honestly say Rodney was the best player I have seen to pull on the Hoops. I know those of you who saw Stan or Les will find that hard to understand but he was the complete article , ridiculously talented with either foot who could go past defenders at will. However ,he reminds me of Kevin Peterson a ,brilliant talent but a bit of a Prick, that's why Stan will always been held in higher esteem.
Rodney Marsh on 21:34 - May 6 with 2158 views08olesen

I thought he was good on both occasions, but the one thing that i could not work out was his views on Youth.

He was saying that is near impossible to create a youth team because there are no youth team players who are good enough unless you go down the arsenal route of having lots of French players. That seems really contradictory because the reason why there are no young english players is BECAUSE of the fact that they dont get a chance and are ousted by the foreign talent instead.

Therefore one would assume that there is lots of talent that can be nurtured into decent players.

I think Gallons argument about buying the best young players who are 12-16 is the way forward, and try to get a good academy going and then buy good young lower league players like Austin, Trippier, Hughes( before the hype) Foreshaw. This would save us a lot of money on wages which we could invest in the youth.

What i didnt understand was that Rodney was saying that you would be buying players every season........urrrrr no you wouldnt. If you had players like Austin and Trippier you could keep them for 8 years if you wanted too.

I would definitely not be getting him in to oversee the manager, i think that is asking for trouble.
[Post edited 6 May 2014 21:35]

Poll: Who will the other play off

Rodney Marsh on 21:44 - May 6 with 2132 viewsqprmick

Rodney Marsh on 21:34 - May 6 by 08olesen

I thought he was good on both occasions, but the one thing that i could not work out was his views on Youth.

He was saying that is near impossible to create a youth team because there are no youth team players who are good enough unless you go down the arsenal route of having lots of French players. That seems really contradictory because the reason why there are no young english players is BECAUSE of the fact that they dont get a chance and are ousted by the foreign talent instead.

Therefore one would assume that there is lots of talent that can be nurtured into decent players.

I think Gallons argument about buying the best young players who are 12-16 is the way forward, and try to get a good academy going and then buy good young lower league players like Austin, Trippier, Hughes( before the hype) Foreshaw. This would save us a lot of money on wages which we could invest in the youth.

What i didnt understand was that Rodney was saying that you would be buying players every season........urrrrr no you wouldnt. If you had players like Austin and Trippier you could keep them for 8 years if you wanted too.

I would definitely not be getting him in to oversee the manager, i think that is asking for trouble.

we can produce good young players.Sterling for one, they just don't get a chance. Marsh was surrounded by youth players, both here and at City.

Qprmick

Rodney Marsh on 21:52 - May 6 with 2105 viewsted_hendrix

Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles and the utterly superb Dave Thomas were by far the best three players that ever graced this club and wore our Blue and White hoops.

As for Rodney's personality it never dawned on me for one minute what I thought of him then or even now, all that mattered to me was 3.00pm on a Saturday or 7.45pm on a bloody cold Tuesday night and how Rodney Marsh played, he was at times unplayable and could score with both feet and his head, Its as though we were privileged at the time to have him on our books, we all knew he was going to be sold but when it happened like a daft pillock I was devastated.

Like I say his personality or whatever people construed as his personality meant nothing to me then or now.

In any case they always say you should never meet your heroes.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Rodney Marsh on 22:08 - May 6 with 2072 viewsdaveB

Rodney Marsh on 21:34 - May 6 by 08olesen

I think the problem is the best kids gets snapped up by the big clubs and then never get the chance to play proper football. Clubs like Fulham with good academies get the next level of player good not great and we end up with the leftovers as we don't invest at that level. Being in London is tough if you don't invest due to the amount of competition in the local area. Thats why Southampton do so well, they have a massive catchment area, the whole of the south coast really and a lot of the west country to choose from.

With real investment we could get our youth set up to be as impressive as Fulhams but as Rodney was saying even with the money they spend and the impressive facilities they haven't had too many break into the first team over the years. That might change now they've been relegated though
Rodney Marsh on 22:14 - May 6 with 2048 views100percent

Rodney Marsh on 21:52 - May 6 by ted_hendrix

Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles and the utterly superb Dave Thomas were by far the best three players that ever graced this club and wore our Blue and White hoops.

As for Rodney's personality it never dawned on me for one minute what I thought of him then or even now, all that mattered to me was 3.00pm on a Saturday or 7.45pm on a bloody cold Tuesday night and how Rodney Marsh played, he was at times unplayable and could score with both feet and his head, Its as though we were privileged at the time to have him on our books, we all knew he was going to be sold but when it happened like a daft pillock I was devastated.

Like I say his personality or whatever people construed as his personality meant nothing to me then or now.

Agree with you Ted... it never dawned on me back then whether Rodney was a good egg or not - he used to be amazing on the field and that's all that mattered... it doesn't surprise me that he is a bit of a cock but it is not important to me...
stan is and was my ultimate QPR legend - again, when I found out about his habits and personality, it was endearing in a laddish, geezer type way... but still unimportant...
one of my other heroes from back then is Mick Leach - I have no idea what his personality was like but he still remains right up there with the others....
Rodney Marsh on 22:16 - May 6 with 2045 viewsNorthernr

I thought he was excellent last night, thoroughly enjoyable evening.
Rodney Marsh on 22:52 - May 6 with 1968 viewsqprrob59

To the original poster,yeah cos Stan came across really well with his interview on the pitch the other week didn't he,at least Rodney has a personality.
It really bugs me that people slag Rodney off,especially those that may never have seen him play,he was simply fantastic,the best player i have ever seen and if it wasn't for him on the pitch Rangers would have achieved very little,and there would have been no place for further mavericks like Stan,who ,don't get me wrong was world class,but to me,not in Rodneys class.Both never got the recognition they deserved.I have met both,Rodney when i was a lad and he was great ,Stan as an adult, and he couldn't get his nose out of the sporting life.At least Rodney says it as he sees it and doesn't sit on the fence.
Rodney Marsh on 23:07 - May 6 with 1931 viewsTacticalR

He's a professional raconteur and he likes holding court. He's used to being looked up to by a certain generation and expected to behave in a certain way by that generation. They want footballing royalty and after dinner speaking, and he gives them that. He expected everything to revolve around him as a player, and it felt like he expected the same in conversation.

When he was interviewed on My Sporting Life in 2012 he was much better when he moved from his pre-packaged footballing tales to describing his upbringing in the East End. As he told it, the harsh things he experienced, especially friends and relatives dying young, left him with an ingrained cynicism.

In this instance I thought he made some valid points, such as that even a good youth system doesn't necessarily deliver results. You only have to look at Arsenal where project youth has been pretty much abandoned.

Air hostess clique

Rodney Marsh on 23:18 - May 6 with 1909 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Rodney Marsh on 22:16 - May 6 by Northernr

I thought he was excellent last night, thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Were you in attendance Clive?
Rodney Marsh on 23:33 - May 6 with 1875 viewszicoshoops

Rodney Marsh on 21:52 - May 6 by ted_hendrix

Well said Ted.
The finest player that I've seen wear our shirt.
Rodney Marsh on 23:40 - May 6 with 1864 viewszicoshoops

Rodney Marsh on 22:52 - May 6 by qprrob59

To the original poster,yeah cos Stan came across really well with his interview on the pitch the other week didn't he,at least Rodney has a personality.
It really bugs me that people slag Rodney off,especially those that may never have seen him play,he was simply fantastic,the best player i have ever seen and if it wasn't for him on the pitch Rangers would have achieved very little,and there would have been no place for further mavericks like Stan,who ,don't get me wrong was world class,but to me,not in Rodneys class.Both never got the recognition they deserved.I have met both,Rodney when i was a lad and he was great ,Stan as an adult, and he couldn't get his nose out of the sporting life.At least Rodney says it as he sees it and doesn't sit on the fence.

+1.

Yet these days a scumbag can wear out shirt and be defended.
Still.....only another season to go.
Rodney Marsh on 00:47 - May 7 with 1809 viewsNov77

I will never understand any rangers fan slagging rodney off. The beatles said before elvis there was nothing. Well as far as rangers are concerned before rodney there was next to nothing.

As another poster has said he put this club on the map.

One of my big regrets in life is not being old enough to see him play.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Rodney Marsh on 02:37 - May 7 with 1770 viewsRangersAreBack

Agree with him or not, Rodney is good value. I'd rather listen to Marsh than some coward sitting on the fence. To boot he was a marvellous player.
Rodney Marsh on 08:03 - May 7 with 1659 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I tend not to like 'controversial characters' or loud people some to that, so Rodney's never been my cup of tea. As a relatively young man (25?) I disagreed with him over the Thompson affair. I didn't blame him for the Director of Football debacle, which I thought was naive rather than calculated on his part. But I disagreed with him over his public comments defending the Thompsons when we met, as I felt that he couldn't possibly have believed his public utterences, and that he was therefore in murky water.

Since then, I have felt that he has put his persona and his punditry career before Rangers, but it doesn't disappoint me. After all, Rangers are only an ex-employer to him, and I wouldn't expect him to be as maniacally defensive of our club as we are.

Ted is bang on the money. He should be revered for what he did on the pitch and his part in transforming our club. What came after should never chage that.

I'm looking forwad to the podcasts.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024