Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Summer Cricket Thread 11:21 - Jun 12 with 20341 viewstoboboly

New Summer, new England.

Same old story though - 13-1 after just a few overs.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Summer Cricket Thread on 17:42 - Sep 7 with 1888 viewsdenhamhoop2

Summer Cricket Thread on 12:21 - Sep 6 by Superhoops2808

Again, away from international cricket but curious to know thoughts on this from other cricket fans.

The RL 50 (otherwise known as the one-day cup) has been severely watered down as a result of the 100 and many sides lost 8 or so players to the 100. Anyway, that finished at the weekend and the RL 50 cup final is on the 17th Sept.

Cutting to the chase, as a Kent member, we by some miracle made the final with the evergreen Darren Stevens performing heroically at the age of 46. Our opponents will be Lancashire.

The Kent management came out and said that none of the players that played in the 100 will be in the final because that would be unfair on the squad that played all the games leading up to the final.

Lancashire, however, have said that they will be fielding their strongest possible side regardless of whether or not they played in the 100.

This made me think of things like the Carabao cup with the big teams play reserve players in the early rounds before dumping them for the 'superstars'

What are thoughts on this from other cricket fans? Twitter went into meltdown yesterday with even Lancashire fans saying they hope they lose.

Tbe RL 50 became basically a reserve side competition thanks to the Abomination that is the 100 somehow my mob in spite of losing only 2 first team players still found a way of being knocked out by Reserve teams. Hope that Kent win the competition and that everyone of Lancashire's returning superstars have an absolute shocker. The one good thing the competition has done is give some valuable first team experience to many promising youngsters
Summer Cricket Thread on 18:33 - Sep 7 with 1849 viewsflynnbo

As a Surrey and England member, I've got tickets for the first two days of the last Test at the home of cricket . Weather looks a tad damp which is a shame as it could be a great decider.
Summer Cricket Thread on 18:44 - Sep 7 with 1844 viewsdenhamhoop2

Summer Cricket Thread on 18:33 - Sep 7 by flynnbo

As a Surrey and England member, I've got tickets for the first two days of the last Test at the home of cricket . Weather looks a tad damp which is a shame as it could be a great decider.

With both teams batting rain causing the loss of 2 days might mean we get a 5th day of the Test
Summer Cricket Thread on 19:50 - Sep 7 with 1810 viewsthame_hoops

Summer Cricket Thread on 17:42 - Sep 7 by denhamhoop2

Tbe RL 50 became basically a reserve side competition thanks to the Abomination that is the 100 somehow my mob in spite of losing only 2 first team players still found a way of being knocked out by Reserve teams. Hope that Kent win the competition and that everyone of Lancashire's returning superstars have an absolute shocker. The one good thing the competition has done is give some valuable first team experience to many promising youngsters

Make that 3, I didn’t realise TRJ was part of the spirit squad, he never got a a game. Unbelievable that Eskinazi never got drafted, I think I read he has got the most runs in the last three years of the blast
Summer Cricket Thread on 20:29 - Sep 18 with 1693 viewsSuperhoops2808

So yesterday, while most were focusing on the draw at HQ yesterday, I went to Trent Bridge to see the mighty Kent Spitfires win their 2nd white ball cup in 2 years.

A really great day out, but sadly the RL one Day cup has become similar to the Carabao Cup, in terms of prestige. Both sides made up of players that didn't play in The Hundred and provided some superb entertainment. So not a full attendance, but for me and Mrs Superhoop a fab day out.

And also, the chance to see the ever-green Darren Stevens contribute a healthy 30 runs and some very tight bowling at a time when Lancs needed to be slowed down. Such a super servant to Kent.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, the South made sure the North were put back in their box and left them singing about how they all hated Leeds... Well, dont we all
Summer Cricket Thread on 22:31 - Sep 18 with 1616 viewsthame_hoops

Summer Cricket Thread on 20:29 - Sep 18 by Superhoops2808

So yesterday, while most were focusing on the draw at HQ yesterday, I went to Trent Bridge to see the mighty Kent Spitfires win their 2nd white ball cup in 2 years.

A really great day out, but sadly the RL one Day cup has become similar to the Carabao Cup, in terms of prestige. Both sides made up of players that didn't play in The Hundred and provided some superb entertainment. So not a full attendance, but for me and Mrs Superhoop a fab day out.

And also, the chance to see the ever-green Darren Stevens contribute a healthy 30 runs and some very tight bowling at a time when Lancs needed to be slowed down. Such a super servant to Kent.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, the South made sure the North were put back in their box and left them singing about how they all hated Leeds... Well, dont we all

Congrats, I read 10k were there. Nice to see the Kent players that were involved with the hundred go and support their team. I think both teams said they would be playing the players that have played all competition, Parkinson didn’t play for Lancashire for instance..
Summer Cricket Thread on 17:44 - Sep 19 with 1526 viewsplasmahoop

Summer Cricket Thread on 20:29 - Sep 18 by Superhoops2808

Great stuff. Although a middlesex fan, I've lived most of my adult life in Kent, and I know how much it means to a lot of people at my old cricket clubs in kent.
Summer Cricket Thread on 17:09 - Sep 20 with 1399 viewsthame_hoops

Luke Wood is so good, really enjoyed watching him this summer, needs to make the World Cup team in my opinion
Login to get fewer ads

Summer Cricket Thread on 17:12 - Sep 20 with 1403 viewsMalintabuk

Summer Cricket Thread on 17:09 - Sep 20 by thame_hoops

Luke Wood is so good, really enjoyed watching him this summer, needs to make the World Cup team in my opinion

Lad just taken 3 wickets in Pakistan and bowled really well
Summer Cricket Thread on 18:09 - Sep 20 with 1374 viewsterryb

Now back to the conclusion of the County Championship.

Thank you Kent for bowling Hampshire out for 57. Please go on & win the match! 20 wickets at Southampton today looks reasonable compared to 26 at Chelmsford. Lancashire are 25 for 6 in their second innings.

Surrey's 293 for 6 looks good for today's scores, but can they take 20 Yorkshire wickets? A win & a Hampshire loss & the last match shouldn't matter.
Summer Cricket Thread on 15:52 - Sep 22 with 1274 viewsterryb

And it's all over with one match remaining!

Congratulations to Surrey on winning the Championship & Kent for beating Hampshire.

Only ten days to go until I have more important concerns, awat to Bristol City!
Summer Cricket Thread on 15:56 - Sep 22 with 1258 viewsTheChef

Summer Cricket Thread on 15:52 - Sep 22 by terryb

Congratulations to Surrey on winning the Championship & Kent for beating Hampshire.

Well done Surrey. Don't know how you manage it, what with all that money to spend

Hoping Middlesex can get promotion. Current Leicester game could go to the wire, while Glamorgan should win tomorrow.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Summer Cricket Thread on 16:00 - Sep 22 with 1261 viewsHantsR

Summer Cricket Thread on 15:52 - Sep 22 by terryb

Crazy first day's play and many glum faces lround these parts. Still, Surrey always looked the best team, so well done them.
Summer Cricket Thread on 16:13 - Sep 22 with 1240 viewsterryb

Summer Cricket Thread on 15:56 - Sep 22 by TheChef

Well done Surrey. Don't know how you manage it, what with all that money to spend

Hoping Middlesex can get promotion. Current Leicester game could go to the wire, while Glamorgan should win tomorrow.

I believe that there is a wage cap that applies to all the counties (at least in the same division) so I'm not sure how Surrey have more to spend than others. Unless of course, they are the only county to pay the maximum.

You might have a problem convincing Lancashire & Warwickshire supporters that they can't afford the maximum though.
Summer Cricket Thread on 18:01 - Sep 22 with 1207 viewsTonto

'Sex fans getting all hot and bothered again. Well done the 'Rey

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Summer Cricket Thread on 18:30 - Sep 22 with 1171 viewsstowmarketrange

Well done to the brown hatters.Championship number 21 in the bag,even with some of our better players off on England duty.
Summer Cricket Thread on 18:48 - Sep 22 with 1161 viewsaston_hoop

Entered a few of the ballots for the Ashes tests, open now for anyone interested. Hoping to finally get back and watch some test cricket in England, first time since Ben Stokes day at Headingley in '19

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Summer Cricket Thread on 19:07 - Sep 22 with 1146 viewsstowmarketrange

Summer Cricket Thread on 18:48 - Sep 22 by aston_hoop

Entered a few of the ballots for the Ashes tests, open now for anyone interested. Hoping to finally get back and watch some test cricket in England, first time since Ben Stokes day at Headingley in '19

So have I,but some of the prices I’ve seen are ridiculous for a days sport that is weather dependant.
I think there will be empty seats on some days.
Summer Cricket Thread on 19:28 - Sep 22 with 1138 viewsHunterhoop

Summer Cricket Thread on 16:13 - Sep 22 by terryb

I believe that there is a wage cap that applies to all the counties (at least in the same division) so I'm not sure how Surrey have more to spend than others. Unless of course, they are the only county to pay the maximum.

You might have a problem convincing Lancashire & Warwickshire supporters that they can't afford the maximum though.

Most sides don’t and can’t spend up to the cap and still operate. Surrey can. They take all the revenue from hosting international matches and The Hundred matches (well, all the concessions stuff).

Middx are tenant of Lord’s. They get nothing from international matches at Lord’s. They don’t even get anything from T20 matches after doing a fixed fee deal with the MCC. They have Middx membership, and takings from the outgrounds.

I don’t know, but I’d hazard a guess Surrey have 5x the income of Middx (and Worcs, Leics, Derby, Northants, Gloucs), spend up to the cap and can invest more in their youth set up.

County cricket is very unbalanced in terms of club wealth, just like football. Surrey are the richest by some way. They are the Chelsea of cricket. Have been for 20 years. Middx are both poor and shit, and don’t even own their own ground. Make your minds up on who they are!
Summer Cricket Thread on 19:46 - Sep 22 with 1113 viewsstowmarketrange

Summer Cricket Thread on 19:28 - Sep 22 by Hunterhoop

Most sides don’t and can’t spend up to the cap and still operate. Surrey can. They take all the revenue from hosting international matches and The Hundred matches (well, all the concessions stuff).

Middx are tenant of Lord’s. They get nothing from international matches at Lord’s. They don’t even get anything from T20 matches after doing a fixed fee deal with the MCC. They have Middx membership, and takings from the outgrounds.

I don’t know, but I’d hazard a guess Surrey have 5x the income of Middx (and Worcs, Leics, Derby, Northants, Gloucs), spend up to the cap and can invest more in their youth set up.

County cricket is very unbalanced in terms of club wealth, just like football. Surrey are the richest by some way. They are the Chelsea of cricket. Have been for 20 years. Middx are both poor and shit, and don’t even own their own ground. Make your minds up on who they are!

It isn’t Surrey’s fault that they’re the richest county in cricket.It’s mainly due to being well run,which is something that all the other counties with test arenas could do too,apart from middlesex.
I wouldn’t have thought that Surrey have any more members than Yorkshire or Lancashire and so they need to raise the money somehow.Having a guaranteed test every year helps,but they’ve spent an awful lot of money renovating the Oval to bring it up to standard.It used to be a right dump when I first started going in the late 70’s,but so were most cricket grounds then.
Summer Cricket Thread on 21:02 - Sep 22 with 1077 viewsHunterhoop

Summer Cricket Thread on 19:46 - Sep 22 by stowmarketrange

It isn’t Surrey’s fault that they’re the richest county in cricket.It’s mainly due to being well run,which is something that all the other counties with test arenas could do too,apart from middlesex.
I wouldn’t have thought that Surrey have any more members than Yorkshire or Lancashire and so they need to raise the money somehow.Having a guaranteed test every year helps,but they’ve spent an awful lot of money renovating the Oval to bring it up to standard.It used to be a right dump when I first started going in the late 70’s,but so were most cricket grounds then.

They’re very well run, no doubt. I’m not saying they’re at fault. I’m just pointing out that it’s not a level playing field, and any Surrey fans suggesting it is or that they don’t have the financial clout to compete for trophies every year are talking out of their arse.

Also, I do dislike the way they hoover up talent from the county circuit purely based on the pay package they can offer. They also have a history of illegally tapping up players under contract.

They should win trophies every year. But they are very dislike-able (see Micky Stewart, Alec Stewart, Gareth Batty). And their fans are smug. Chelsea/Brentford cross over.
Summer Cricket Thread on 21:14 - Sep 22 with 1070 viewsstowmarketrange

Summer Cricket Thread on 21:02 - Sep 22 by Hunterhoop

They’re very well run, no doubt. I’m not saying they’re at fault. I’m just pointing out that it’s not a level playing field, and any Surrey fans suggesting it is or that they don’t have the financial clout to compete for trophies every year are talking out of their arse.

Also, I do dislike the way they hoover up talent from the county circuit purely based on the pay package they can offer. They also have a history of illegally tapping up players under contract.

They should win trophies every year. But they are very dislike-able (see Micky Stewart, Alec Stewart, Gareth Batty). And their fans are smug. Chelsea/Brentford cross over.

And a few qpr ones too.
Summer Cricket Thread on 22:25 - Sep 22 with 1018 viewsstowmarketrange

Summer Cricket Thread on 21:02 - Sep 22 by Hunterhoop

If money was such a decisive factor in Surrey’s success how do you explain only 2 county championships in 20 years?That span includes 2 or 3 relegations to division 2.That doesn’t suggest money is buying trophies does it?Or they’re not very good at it are they?
And I don’t recall any limited overs trophies either.Maybe a couple of finals in the last few years.
Summer Cricket Thread on 09:50 - Sep 23 with 896 viewsterryb

Summer Cricket Thread on 19:28 - Sep 22 by Hunterhoop

Thank you Hunter for the explanation & I do understand a lot of what you say, especially the comparison with the counties you mention.

I would still be surprised though, if Lancashire, Nottinghamshire, Warwickshire & Yorkshire are paupers in comparison with Surrey, perhaps even Hampshire. Thay all have the same revenue from test matches (might not be guarenteed every year), T20 & 100 matches & I would think they all have more members than Surrey to increase their income. How much counties receive for sponsorship I have no idea, but I suspect that Kia might pay the most.

Hampshire certainly have not lost the same amount of players for Championship games due to international call ups. I definitely don't understand the county loan system! How can Kent loan a bowler fron Surrey for their match with Hampshire? I know Mckeer(?) didn't have much impact, but surely this should not be allowed.
Summer Cricket Thread on 13:12 - Sep 23 with 835 viewsTheChef

Summer Cricket Thread on 22:25 - Sep 22 by stowmarketrange

If money was such a decisive factor in Surrey’s success how do you explain only 2 county championships in 20 years?That span includes 2 or 3 relegations to division 2.That doesn’t suggest money is buying trophies does it?Or they’re not very good at it are they?
And I don’t recall any limited overs trophies either.Maybe a couple of finals in the last few years.

Good point. Clearly they're not good enough

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024