Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How much exercise do you get a week? 18:30 - Sep 15 with 15513 viewsstuabd

I just had a check up and according to that bloody BMI index I need to lose some weight. I wouldn't say I was fat and I don't have a big gut, but according to my doctor I still need to lose some weight to get the BMI down.

I was just wondering how much exercise you guys get a week.
I'm 46
I play one hour of footy every Sunday
I then practise golf for 2 hours later in the week
I also get 18 holes a week in at the weekend

I hate gyms so the only alternative is to do more walking.

I feel like I could do more but with two kids and a ball-breaker of a wife :) its hard to get the time to do stuff.

How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:16 - Jul 9 with 1219 viewsNorthernr

This lockdown's actually been really good for me. Running 25 miles a week minimum which is better than I've managed before.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:59 - Jul 9 with 1174 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Lockdown had a good effect at first. I was rotating between running walking and cycling but since going back to work 6 days a week I’m only managing a 2 mile run, cycling locally and the occasional river walk. I’m feeling a bit unfit again in general although weight is about normal. It won’t take much to get going again but I’m lacking motivation.

Cricket season starts next weekend! Although the Sunday friendly level I play at isn’t particularly good exersize 😅

This time last year was a stark contrast. I was in final stage training for a 100km walk (continuous but with break stops) and not drinking throughout most of July..

Poll: Expectations for this season?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:06 - Jul 9 with 1150 viewsJuzzie

Don't do any formal excercise but having a 5 1/2 year old and a 2 1/2 year old is as much as I can manage. They keep me on my toes.

10 minute walk to the childminder and back again. Twice a day.
Park weekends.
When lockdown etc eases/ends we'll be able to go swimming again and take the elder to the little gym.

They knacker me out.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:15 - Jul 9 with 1125 viewsMrSheen

I got the virus before Easter so treated myself to a rigorous rehabilitation regime of watching TV and stuffing my face. Now on a diet and have walked more than 6 miles on 13 out of the last 14 days.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:17 - Jul 9 with 1119 viewskensalriser

How much exercise do you get a week? on 11:16 - Jul 9 by Northernr

This lockdown's actually been really good for me. Running 25 miles a week minimum which is better than I've managed before.

I can't believe you totally missed the spam post above that reactivated this thread.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:21 - Jul 9 with 1092 viewsJuzzie

How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:17 - Jul 9 by kensalriser

I can't believe you totally missed the spam post above that reactivated this thread.

Just seen my post on the previous page, this thread must be almost 5 years old!

Deffo spam above, wonder if they do kitchens too.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:39 - Jul 9 with 1056 viewskernowhoop

This is an unscientific observation, but, one that I feel is correct. I comes from watching well overweight people out jogging, or, having sessions in the gym.
If you are seriously over-weight, cutting down on your food and booze should come first - yes, you have to exercise, but don't rely on that to get your weight down.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:49 - Jul 9 with 1026 viewsMetallica_Hoop

In lockdown I jogged to the equivalent of Lincoln or Weymouth from London.

Back at work so cycling about 13 miles a day.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:58 - Jul 9 with 1000 viewsCabdriveR

Glad this thread popped back up, one of the most positive I’ve seen on this forum for ages!

I’m 33 and since the lockdown I’ve had a lot more time for exercise as the need for a cab in London has dropped to non existent!

I always thought of myself as quite fit but struggled to eat right, lots of fatty and sugary foods.

I’ve been following the Joe Wicks cook books and doing some of his workouts on YouTube and it’s been a game changer. I would really recommend it if you like your food but just need a bit of guidance on eating the right foods at the right time.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:00 - Jul 9 with 994 viewsBrianMcCarthy

How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:39 - Jul 9 by kernowhoop

This is an unscientific observation, but, one that I feel is correct. I comes from watching well overweight people out jogging, or, having sessions in the gym.
If you are seriously over-weight, cutting down on your food and booze should come first - yes, you have to exercise, but don't rely on that to get your weight down.

I agree, kernow. And drink loads of water to help digestion.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:03 - Jul 9 with 988 viewsBrianMcCarthy

When this thread started I was awaiting a knee op, now it's time for the other knee to be sliced and diced. So running and 5-a-side are out

Thanks to all the advice on here, though, I've taken to cycling. I do 5 hours a week. Plus hiking once a week, four gym sessions and some walking.

Watch the grub, sleep well and drink loads of water. And still enjoying a weekend drink and a take-away if i hit my fitness goals for the week.

15.9% body fat. Working towards 14% as the hope is a hiking trip to the Basque Country in September, all things going well.

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:04 - Jul 9 with 987 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I found contracting Coronavirus quite useful in helping me lose weight.

I lost 10kg in a week.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:07 - Jul 9 with 979 viewsMrSheen

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:04 - Jul 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

I found contracting Coronavirus quite useful in helping me lose weight.

I lost 10kg in a week.

10kg? Yikes, I lost about 3!
How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:16 - Jul 9 with 952 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:07 - Jul 9 by MrSheen

10kg? Yikes, I lost about 3!

I couldn’t eat anything mate, just nauseous for about 20 days.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:21 - Jul 9 with 932 viewslondonscottish

I was doing well at the beginning of lockdown running 3 x 5k's a week on the local, hilly, Parkrun circuit.

Have slowly been losing my running mojo and eating and drinking more.

This month I'm concentrating on re-strengthening - I'm trying to do the 7 Minute Workout every day to build some muscle mass and burn some fat.

Also making sure I do at least 10k steps a day - off for a quick lunchtime walk right now.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:22 - Jul 9 with 925 viewsDannyPaddox

How much exercise do you get a week? on 12:49 - Jul 9 by Metallica_Hoop

In lockdown I jogged to the equivalent of Lincoln or Weymouth from London.

Back at work so cycling about 13 miles a day.

Using the same principle in a South-Easterly direction and with the ability to run across water (to be honest it’s something I’ve never got the hang of) I’ve lockdown jogged from London to Dunkirk. Hope to be in Brussels by August.

Btw: anyone running or thinking of going back to running I’d highly recommend doing a quick set of exercises (10/15 minutes) at least 3 times a week to work on the core, glutes, and schmootes etc. It’s the number one tip I’d give to anyone - makes so much difference in recovery, general fitness, and keeping free from injury. Google exercises for running - loads on line.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 13:31]
(No subject) (n/t) on 13:23 - Jul 9 with 920 viewsR_from_afar

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:24 - Jul 9 with 914 viewsR_from_afar

Back a few years, I very quickly lost over a stone by stopping eating a bar of chocolate and a packet of crisps every working day.

Lockdown has put paid to my weekly 8 a side football but I have replaced that with either an hour long walk or a 30 minute cycling session on my rollers. I also do a further two 30 minute sessions on the afore-mentioned rollers every week.

I feel for Mrs R from Afar, not just because she is married to me but also because the fact that her gym is closed has really hit her fitness regime (she normally goes to the gym four times a week). She doesn't like cycling - she tried using my bike on the rollers and was like bambi on ice - and can't do a lot of running because her knees can dislocate very easily.

To her credit, she has taken to doing long walks in the local forest, 3 or 4 times a week. We are so lucky to have forest within walking distance of home.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:39 - Jul 9 with 844 viewsToast_R

I tried the Couch to 5K app. Went well for the first week and then the third day on week 2 I pulled up lame with a tight Soleus muscle behind my calf on my left leg. Had to limp home. The next morning my left knee had also decided to swell up on the outside and it was very painful to walk for about a week. Eventually I had a GP appointment over the phone and was given some anti inflamatories to take. Miracle, my knee went from excruciating to normal in about 4 days.

Resumed Couch to 5k again, second session on week 2, Soleus goes again. Limp home and rest for a week.

Resume, this time soleus in my right calf goes, limp home and rest for 10 days before it feels normal.

Sunday morning just gone, off I go 10 minutes from the end of the run - right Soleus muscle tightens up, just about to strain again so I stop running before it goes completely.

All very frustrating, I've never experienced this type of thing before, I always just get on with things but it appears I'm now 41 years old and f*cked.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:41 - Jul 9 with 839 viewsBrianMcCarthy

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:39 - Jul 9 by Toast_R

I tried the Couch to 5K app. Went well for the first week and then the third day on week 2 I pulled up lame with a tight Soleus muscle behind my calf on my left leg. Had to limp home. The next morning my left knee had also decided to swell up on the outside and it was very painful to walk for about a week. Eventually I had a GP appointment over the phone and was given some anti inflamatories to take. Miracle, my knee went from excruciating to normal in about 4 days.

Resumed Couch to 5k again, second session on week 2, Soleus goes again. Limp home and rest for a week.

Resume, this time soleus in my right calf goes, limp home and rest for 10 days before it feels normal.

Sunday morning just gone, off I go 10 minutes from the end of the run - right Soleus muscle tightens up, just about to strain again so I stop running before it goes completely.

All very frustrating, I've never experienced this type of thing before, I always just get on with things but it appears I'm now 41 years old and f*cked.

Keep the faith. You're only a baby at 41!!

A good physio will get you sorted.

How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:05 - Jul 9 with 766 viewsBklynRanger

May as well get the obvious suggestion out of the way Toast but have you tried yoga? Power yoga on the days you don't run for example.

I see on this thread my 5 year younger self was training for a marathon. Really great experience but running isn't the right thing for me anymore I've decided. Was doing it a bit at the start of lockdown but things would tighten, I'd have to take a couple of days off, was just too problematic.

So I've been ending the working day with a good dose of HIIT to clear out the head. Works well. There are several on YouTube, couple of good bodyproject ones, 'High Intensity Interval Training' (think it's called - it's the one that's 30 mins 5.6mill views anyway) and their Tabata Challenge 25 min one is great, and quick.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:09 - Jul 9 with 751 viewsToast_R

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:41 - Jul 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Keep the faith. You're only a baby at 41!!

A good physio will get you sorted.

Hopefully Brian

I've been doing some specific exercises I found on YouTube hopefully to strengthen it. I've also upped my daily water intake, I've heard that helps. I might try again tonight, it feels ok.
How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:21 - Jul 9 with 714 viewsDWQPR

How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:09 - Jul 9 by Toast_R

Hopefully Brian

I've been doing some specific exercises I found on YouTube hopefully to strengthen it. I've also upped my daily water intake, I've heard that helps. I might try again tonight, it feels ok.

Sounds like you need to do more leg exercises to build your leg muscles. When I started at a gym three years back I had a real dodgy left knee and I was assured that if I did leg weights and exercises that it would improve. Worked a treat.

Three years later at the age of 54, five mornings a week I go for an interval run, 8 sets of 400 running paces at around 14/15kph and in between each set 8 lots of 200 walking paces at around 6/7kph. Takes around 30 minutes and I cover 5.5km. On the odd occasion I treat myself to running three times round one of the local lakes which is a total distance of 7.2km. Takes me around 34-35 minutes. With gyms now closed I treated myself to a home mini-gym plus some free weights. Still see my PT twice a week for core work. Haven't felt fitter in all my life. Oh and I'm down 5 stone on when I started. Don't drink alcohol (other than the 0.5% beers), and pretty much eat normally now and the weight is staying off.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:43 - Jul 9 with 662 viewsMrSheen

How much exercise do you get a week? on 13:16 - Jul 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

I couldn’t eat anything mate, just nauseous for about 20 days.

I lost my appetite and was nauseated by some things I normally love, like tea, but I didn't stop eating completely. I got over it after about two weeks, but my sense of smell hasn't returned after nearly three months. Any long-term effects for you?
How much exercise do you get a week? on 14:45 - Jul 9 with 654 viewsSnipper

Lockdown done me a big favour. I was really unfit beforehand, but started power walking on March 24th, and was only doing 5k for a couple of weeks. Walking up the hill near where I live left me breathing heavily for a while after. Then 2/3 days I was doing 7k. I was doing about 9mins-9mins 20 secs per kilometre. Then after a few more weeks, I upped it to 8k, and then 9k per day, and was walking quicker.
Now most days, I walk 9,10 and even 11k, and I’m now at 8 mins per kilometre. Done 7m 50secs a few times. Up until this Tuesday, I’d only missed about 10 days of power walking.
I feel so much better for it, and my gut has completely gone. Lost about a stone in weight too.

I’ve noticed a few other health benefits too. I’ve got a slight allergy to our cat, and have to use an inhaler a few times a week. Since I started the power walking, I’ve hardly used it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024