Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread 14:14 - Oct 14 with 6203 viewsenfieldargh

Vic mobeley was signed from Sheffield Wednesday for around 50k when I was a mere nipper but due to him being involved in the Peter Swan betting scandal he never played for us and I don't know if we got our money back. Jim Gregory would have been chairman in those days so would love to know the true what's and all story.

The only other high profile player who we signed but never got to see was Richard Ord who I think cost us around 500k from sunland.

Any others you can think off?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:22 - Oct 14 with 3163 viewsNorthernr

Dougie Freedman I don't think made a senior appearance despite being in our first team squad as a youngster, went on to have a decent career.

Massimo Mauro, thick end of 400 games in Serie A for Juve, Udinese and Napoli played a pre-season friendly for us at Brentford one night but didn't sign.

Related to Richard Ord - we only signed him because we had Gerry Taggert all lined up and ready to go but it fell down at the last second. Darren Ambrose had the pics taken in the club shirt, all the official site interviews ready to post and got called back by Palace at the last second.
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:22 - Oct 14 with 3163 viewsAntti_Heinola

I remember that it was on teletext and possibly elsewhere that Gerry signed George Ndah in the late 90s from Wolves. Seemed a done deal, but something fell through. He went somewhere else and got an awful injury - not sure he ever played again.

Bare bones.

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:24 - Oct 14 with 3157 viewsNorthernr

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:22 - Oct 14 by Antti_Heinola

I remember that it was on teletext and possibly elsewhere that Gerry signed George Ndah in the late 90s from Wolves. Seemed a done deal, but something fell through. He went somewhere else and got an awful injury - not sure he ever played again.

Yeh remember spending 50p a minute to listen to Cinzano tell us that Ndah had signed from Swindon only for him to stay. Scored against us for Swindon subsequently I think (we always lost to Swindon back then) and then went to Wolves and destroyed his knee.
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:28 - Oct 14 with 3147 viewsJamie

Richard Duffy was announced by Gregory at a fans forum/q&a thing that was posted on the official site, only to end up going elsewhere later that day..
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:31 - Oct 14 with 3134 viewsjohncharles

Peter Odemwingie ?

Strong and stable my arse.

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:34 - Oct 14 with 3130 viewsaston_hoop

I have a very very vague recollection of Gary Cahill on loan falling through right at the last minute while Holloway was manager many years ago when he would have been very young before he'd played a senior game.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:39 - Oct 14 with 3115 viewsbosh67

I seem to recall Ollie having Paulo Wanchope on trial for 3 games pre-season and not signing him. In those three games I think he scored 9 goals.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:42 - Oct 14 with 3111 viewsMrSheen

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:39 - Oct 14 by bosh67

I seem to recall Ollie having Paulo Wanchope on trial for 3 games pre-season and not signing him. In those three games I think he scored 9 goals.

Blame Houston, not Ollie. Who needs Wanchope when Sheron's coming?

Another very bad miss was Ray Houghton.
Login to get fewer ads

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:47 - Oct 14 with 3096 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Does Sterling count?
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:49 - Oct 14 with 3090 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

According to John Barnes's autobiography he had a straight choice between QPR and Watford and chose Watford because the hospitality when they showed him round was better.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2015 14:50]
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 15:05 - Oct 14 with 3057 viewsbatmanhoop

Vic Mobley actually did get to play for us, a knee injury put paid to his career. Think he played about a dozen times for us
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 15:06 - Oct 14 with 3056 viewsisawqpratwcity

Mobley played for us, 25 times in two years according to Wiki. I wished him well on his first game when he retrieved a ball from the School End in the warm-up.

His knees were cactus.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 15:07 - Oct 14 with 3053 viewsRunner14

Vic Mobley played for us 20 odd times spanning about 2 seasons but had to retire due to chronic back pain I think.
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 16:34 - Oct 14 with 2960 viewskingshill

Did Jimmy Carter ever play for the first team?

Bit of a favourite for those that used to watch the reserves on a Tuesday afternoon but can't remember if he actually turned out for the first team before he went to Millwall
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 18:00 - Oct 14 with 2879 viewsterryb

Just to reepeat others.

Victor Bloody Mobley played for us far too many times!

The worst centre half I have had the misfortune to see. He has had plenty of competrition, but NOBODY else has been that bad!

Peter Swan was back playing for Sheffield Wednesday at that time & the other two Wednesday players who were prsecuted (and convicted) were David "Bronco" Layne & Tony Kay. Kay had been transferred to Everton by the time the scandal broke.

It is likely that all three would have been in the '66 World Cup squad had the match fixing not occurred. Hurst, Peters & Jack Charlton were the probable beneficiaries.

Many other players from Division three & four were also convicted.
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 18:29 - Oct 14 with 2846 viewsenfieldargh

how silly of me, when I said Vic Mobeley I meant Ahmel tczachunte (spell)

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 18:33 - Oct 14 with 2836 viewscaliforniahoop

I remember the Cahill thing, I think Gregory was the manager at Villa at the time, he insisted that Cahill played games, Ollie got on his high horse insisting he wouldn't be dictated to, only when in to win , league titles, captain England, lol.
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 19:12 - Oct 14 with 2792 viewsShotKneesHoop

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 15:05 - Oct 14 by batmanhoop

Vic Mobley actually did get to play for us, a knee injury put paid to his career. Think he played about a dozen times for us

Yes, he did play. I saw him. I was not impressed. It was another pre-signing injury.

I think he signed lame and left lamer.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 19:39 - Oct 14 with 2758 viewspaulparker

Going back to before the 1989/90 season and we agreed terms and a fee for the two highly rated charlton players John Humphrey & Paul Williams I think it was a million for the both ( a steal at the time) only for Charlton to pull the plug at the last minute
We went on to sign Paul Wright instead and later on Roy Wegerle

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 19:42 - Oct 14 with 2755 viewsDannyPaddox

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:49 - Oct 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

According to John Barnes's autobiography he had a straight choice between QPR and Watford and chose Watford because the hospitality when they showed him round was better.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2015 14:50]

I guess we were having a bad biscuit day.
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 05:09 - Oct 15 with 2565 viewsBlueandWhiteRiot

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 14:22 - Oct 14 by Antti_Heinola

Sir Les nearly had a second spell with us. I think big Sam told Oli to say nothing about until it all went through. But alas Oli told the press. No Les
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 08:11 - Oct 15 with 2496 viewscaliforniahoop

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 19:39 - Oct 14 by paulparker

Going back to before the 1989/90 season and we agreed terms and a fee for the two highly rated charlton players John Humphrey & Paul Williams I think it was a million for the both ( a steal at the time) only for Charlton to pull the plug at the last minute
We went on to sign Paul Wright instead and later on Roy Wegerle

I was was on holiday, I remember that being splashed over the back pages of the sun, only source of info back in the day.
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 09:22 - Oct 15 with 2465 viewsDiscodroids

we were constantly signing Ian Bishop , Alex Rae and ged Brannan Throughout the entire 1994/95 season.

I also remember Ray wilkins saying that Rangers Midfielder Ian Ferguson signing was 'In the Bag' On clubcall

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 09:54 - Oct 15 with 2444 viewsNorthernr

They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 09:22 - Oct 15 by Discodroids

we were constantly signing Ian Bishop , Alex Rae and ged Brannan Throughout the entire 1994/95 season.

I also remember Ray wilkins saying that Rangers Midfielder Ian Ferguson signing was 'In the Bag' On clubcall

Who was the Dundee midfielder Wilkins was on his way to see when he got the sack? Always kept an eye on him after that (never amounted to much) but I've forgotten his bloody name now.

Carl Leaburn played for us for about 15 inglorious minutes at Reading.
They almost wore the hoops- Karl Henry free thread on 10:04 - Oct 15 with 2434 viewsLblock

Can't believe nobodies mentioned Stuart Pearce

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024