Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Polter 19:12 - Jan 1 with 12784 viewsGloucs_R

Worked hard today, made his own goal and was clearly worked up after he had scored. It was a great header, reminded me of Les. (The header, not him!!)

I wish people would give him a break, he isnt the next Austin but then again who is!?!? Austin should be at at Top 8 Prem club.

[Post edited 1 Jan 2016 19:35]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Polter on 09:22 - Jan 2 with 2617 viewsdanehoop

Polter on 08:47 - Jan 2 by daveB

I thought he did well yesterday, he has a lot of flaws in his game and is very raw but works hard and took his goal well.

So he has a few starts and scored a couple of goals.Not yet the finished product.

Put in context.
He is now on his third manager. He has been left out of the squad when we seemingly have had no strikers. That must be hugely demotivating when arriving at a new club and settling in a new country,

He hasn't given up and forced his way into contention.. He tries really hard and will improve with game time and better service. He has also had to adapt to playing a lone striker role in a struggling team with ever changing personnel around him.

Basically a lot better than Fer upfront and will do well with another striker working with him. This is our future people, better to support him and hope that he continues to improve and adapt.

Never knowingly understood

Polter on 09:42 - Jan 2 with 2586 viewsisawqpratwcity

He does ok for a 'conference player'.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Polter on 09:50 - Jan 2 with 2574 viewsraskolnikov

I think he could be very good. Needs a stable supply, which is a whole other debate, but he puts himself about, and yesterday looked like one of the few who cared. Could - played for the rest of the season - turn out to be a damn good buy.

Too many people following this club have the same need for instant gratification as the owners. It's become infectious. He needs encouragement and some good coaching (LF and JFH should be able to teach him a thing or two) - not a continual barracking for not being Charlie Austin.
Polter on 09:50 - Jan 2 with 2570 viewsNeil_SI

I like him.

From a coaching point of view — there's lot's to work with there and improve, but he looks like the type of person that has the right attitude and is willing to learn. If we're patient and he's coached well, then he will make some improvements.

He works very hard in matches and currently that's his leveller — he's putting in more effort than a lot of other players with his willingness to harass the opposition and make a nuisance of himself and whatever anybody says, he's played a key role over the last few matches. He's had a good hand in creating and scoring goals and yesterday's header was nothing short of an excellent finish.

He does still need to adjust to the English game. There are obviously raw elements, and that's normal, he was a goalkeeper up until the age of 16, so that's why he sometimes appears a little gangly or flat footed in scenarios where you want to see a little bit more nimble footwork.

The easy things to start with are working a little bit on his positioning for headers. He's getting himself underneath the ball a little too much and therefore making it just a tad easier for the defender to win the aerial ball over the top of him. But, having said that, some of these challenges would also likely be judged as fouls back in Germany in his favour — and he did win quite a lot of fouls for us and that's a positive sign. If I were coaching him I'd teach him a few side on positions to help him contest some of those headers a little better and to help him make use of his strength in a more 'fair' fashion so that he can hold off the player without fouling them.

I've no problems with him being in the team at all. I think his work ethic and attitude are a breath of fresh air in this team.
Polter on 10:09 - Jan 2 with 2515 viewsfrancisbowles

Good positive points about Poulter throughout this thread. There are times when he is frustrating. Sometimes he seems more interested in a wrestling match than going for the ball and he makes mistakes. Ale Faurlin also makes mistakes, sometimes misplaces passes etc.

Poulter keeps going. He did win at least three other headers yesterday. two of them clearing crosses in defence.

No he's not likely to be the best in the league but he is probably the best we have got at present and he will do for me.
Polter on 10:14 - Jan 2 with 2498 viewsNeil_SI

Polter on 10:09 - Jan 2 by francisbowles

Good positive points about Poulter throughout this thread. There are times when he is frustrating. Sometimes he seems more interested in a wrestling match than going for the ball and he makes mistakes. Ale Faurlin also makes mistakes, sometimes misplaces passes etc.

Poulter keeps going. He did win at least three other headers yesterday. two of them clearing crosses in defence.

No he's not likely to be the best in the league but he is probably the best we have got at present and he will do for me.

Yeah that's also a good point, his defensive work for the team overall is really important.

He made some great clearing headers from corners. His defensive work for the team will go unnoticed, but his work ethic and style is important tactically from a defensive point of view, especially in a team where there are clearly so few players willing to graft when out of possession.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2016 10:15]
Polter on 10:17 - Jan 2 with 2492 viewsRoller

He looks like he wants to play football and enjoys doing so, that puts him way ahead of half of our team.

We've failed to put adequate crosses in for Austin for the last couple of seasons, unfortunately I doubt that will change now.
Polter on 10:32 - Jan 2 with 2454 viewsrosseeles

as i just put on the just back thread, thought he was one of the few who could come off with his head held high. Worked his ass off (yes he ran chery, fer try it some time) a few nice touches, a few absolute shocker touches to balance it out though. Great goal and god forbid we ever play two up top he'll look much better. Hard to hold it up and then have to play it on to yourself as theres noone near you
Login to get fewer ads

Polter on 10:41 - Jan 2 with 2427 viewsE17hoop

Overheard in R Block:
"I'd rather we lost than Polter scored".

Sums up the attitude of a few at the moment.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Polter on 14:50 - Jan 2 with 2342 viewsLongsufferingR

Polter on 10:41 - Jan 2 by E17hoop

Overheard in R Block:
"I'd rather we lost than Polter scored".

Sums up the attitude of a few at the moment.

Really? I often have to bite my tongue with some of the sh1t spouted from the crowd sometimes, but if I'd heard that, I might not have been able to keep quiet about it. Unbelievable.
Polter on 14:56 - Jan 2 with 2325 viewsbosh67

Yes, he's not Charlie. Who is? Charlie is a rare breed of goal scorer.

But Polter, while he may not be as much of a predictor and have as much natural finishing instinct, he does know where the goal is and even when he doesn't he's in the right place or there abouts.

160 minutes played I believe, 2 goals and one assist. Not shabby.

He's a young 24. Needs a bit of proper striker coaching and belief. But I think with that he will score enough goals. Needs a decent partner alongside him longer term.

He'll be one of those players everyone likes to knock down and he'll end his QPR career having scored one in two or three and be forgotten in the minds of most.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Polter on 15:02 - Jan 2 with 2314 viewskarlski

Brought a mate visiting from abroad along (poor soul, deserves a medal for getting through that..), and said to him at the start of the game, watch Polter, you'll be amazed how poor he will look in certain situations, yet he's weirdly effective.

Neil I think is absolutely right - lots to work with there, and the effort is encouraging. But given his all around game is relatively poor (the hold up and pass for his goal was probably his second or third successful effort at doing that in over ten attempts), we will struggle as a team with him up front alone. Having said that, the only way for him to improve is to play and develop some confidence. I like him personally even if he is mightily frustrating at times - first half he had a couple of good opportunities, once making space for himself excellently, but then his contact on the shot was awful, it's like he gets too excited that he is in a position and snatches at the chance, at which point his lack of technique lets him down - that's the area I'd focus on coaching him for.

Glad he scored and even more glad there's someone in the side who puts in some proper effort. Also noticed he was very encouraging towards his teammates, trying to gee them up and applauding their efforts even when things didn't come off.
Polter on 15:11 - Jan 2 with 2304 viewsOldPedro

Agre with a lot of the comments about Poulter needing to improve but have to say his work for his goal was outstanding. He won the ball, got it out to Phillips and then worked hard to get forward into the box to head in the cross.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Polter on 15:34 - Jan 2 with 2268 viewsTheBlob

Prime example of the tall centre forwards' art with Andy Carroll today - and the delivery.Proper working of the flanks,no stepovers,no cutting inside,no banging the ball against defenders' legs,two lovely crosses - one excellent save and one cracking goal.We have players at the club who can interract with Polter but I would surely go to hell if I mentioned one of them.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2016 15:35]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Polter on 15:35 - Jan 2 with 2263 viewsE17hoop

Polter on 14:50 - Jan 2 by LongsufferingR

Really? I often have to bite my tongue with some of the sh1t spouted from the crowd sometimes, but if I'd heard that, I might not have been able to keep quiet about it. Unbelievable.

Yep, from about 75 mins on, there was ironic clapping every time Polter touched the ball, whether it was good or bad. As some people tried to shout him down, he got loude. He had a big plate of humble pie when Polter scored.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Polter on 15:47 - Jan 2 with 1952 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I think it's obvious that Austin would have worked the keeper with those two first-half chances. But he did well from there on in.

As Neil points out he is too straight on a lot headers down the pitch. I think that someone told him that at half time because he attacked the next two from the side, giving away a clumsy free in the process but he is learning.

I thought that he won nearly everything given to him on the deck. He looks clumsy and that might even allow for some of the frees that he won but a lot of ball sticks with him and his lay-offs are decent enough. He did very well defensively both in play and on set pieces, and his goal was a piece of class.

I think he's doing a job for us, and I think that his potential is interesting and maybe even exciting.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Polter on 15:57 - Jan 2 with 1926 viewsDiscodroids

FL Transfer News ‏@champscout 2h2 hours ago
QPR have told clubs that they will listen to offers for out of favour striker Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.
7 retweets 4 likes
Reply Retweet 7
Like 4
More

Looks Like Polter will be getting a few games under his belt.

in addition Ive also seen us linked with Kevin Nolan, if true i might as well fackin give up with this club. could'nt outrun Bobby George , not so much shot, but clinically dead.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Polter on 17:04 - Jan 2 with 1881 viewsGloucs_R

Polter on 15:57 - Jan 2 by Discodroids

FL Transfer News ‏@champscout 2h2 hours ago
QPR have told clubs that they will listen to offers for out of favour striker Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.
7 retweets 4 likes
Reply Retweet 7
Like 4
More

Looks Like Polter will be getting a few games under his belt.

in addition Ive also seen us linked with Kevin Nolan, if true i might as well fackin give up with this club. could'nt outrun Bobby George , not so much shot, but clinically dead.

If that's true about jet then he's a king idiot. He has the quality, lots on here will say told you so, gutted.

Polter on 17:28 - Jan 2 with 1834 viewsElHoop

Unbelievable that people are slagging him off - makes you wonder what some people actually want. Polter actually reminds me of an old Wealdstone player when I watched the Stones as a kid, Bill Byrne. Byrne was good in the air and put himself about but he was quite slow. However he was the perfect foil for the legend who was George Duck. Duck was a vicious predator but was lightweight - needed a minder up front. With Polter's workrate surely we could find a predator who can't play up front on his own and then try to fit the two together? So many teams play with one up that there must be some good neglected strikers out there somewhere who don't fit in.
Polter on 17:50 - Jan 2 with 1787 viewsNorthernr

Polter is an interesting example of how the dynamic of the crowd and the support has changed at Loftus Road. Previously we absolutely reveled in having those unconventional, underdog players in our team. Maybe not technically the best, maybe a bit odd to watch, maybe a bit of a maverick, but 110% effort, totally committed and effective. We used to absolutely love somebody like that and make cult heroes of them. Jamie Mackie, Devon White, Danny Shittu, Stuart Wardley maybe, Rufus Brevett maybe.

Now we absolutely pummel Polter, even when he's doing a good job for the team and both scoring and setting up goals regularly, presumably because we think we as a club should be above that, and should be out there spending more money on accomplished strikers and big names - like that's worked at all for us over the past five years. I know some on here get their hackles up at the word "spoilt" when it's been used about the supporters this season, but we've certainly changed as a group of fans.

Polter should be a fcking hero. Big German lump with ridiculous hair, scoring and setting up goals despite seeming to have no natural technique or ability - or, more kindly, an unconventional style - in a team that's struggling to score goals at all and is playing very poorly.

More power to you Seb, wish you were getting more support for your efforts from certain team mates and certain 'supporters'.
Polter on 18:17 - Jan 2 with 1753 viewsbaz_qpr

Polter on 17:04 - Jan 2 by Gloucs_R

If that's true about jet then he's a king idiot. He has the quality, lots on here will say told you so, gutted.

Re JET he's had one possibly two good games, but he has been appalling since, looks two stone overweight, Is incredibly lazy and there are stories of him partying a bit too hard flying around.

Re Polter, He is raw, he needs work on receiving the ball back to goal, but he has got his goals, works hard, does well when played to feet, was up against a decent centre half and as Neil pointed out was crucial to us in defending set pieces
Polter on 18:32 - Jan 2 with 1731 viewsparker64

I admire Polter. Kept going and didn't hide when it got tough. I reckon a few sessions with Paul Furlong would do wonders.

As to JET - what a fat lump he looked when he came on the other week. Disgraceful a professional footballer can look like that.
Polter on 18:57 - Jan 2 with 1688 viewsGloucs_R

Glad there are many on this board who think like me. Clive put the nail on the head, we seem to have some really spoilt fans these days.

Looking at the top scorers in the Championship,

Andre Gray £7m could rise to £9m
Ross McCormack £11m
Nick Blackman£1.2m but has taken him to 2 years to get where he is this season. 17 in 99 isnt great.
Charlie Austin - £10-15m if he was coming to the end of his contract
Fernando Forestieri - £3m
Abel Hernández £10m 14 in 46

Jordan Rhodes only has 9 this season, Nahki Wells has 8 and Chris Wood has 8, cost £3m and has played 23 games this season.

Polter on 19:12 - Jan 2 with 1660 viewsraskolnikov

Like I said further up the thread Clive, the owners have created a culture of instant gratification amongst many of our supporters. Giving wads of dosh to a succession of managers has made us salivate at the prospect of every transfer window - clear out the last lot that didn't work, get in a new lot that have to work immediately - or next window, they're out. The Polter barracking is the unfortunate consequence.

Right now, we should be cheering every ounce of confidence into him. He's a bloody hero.

This window it wouldn't bother me if we bought no-one but just trimmed the squad down best we can- and said to Polter, you're the new Number 9. Go and do your best.
Polter on 20:06 - Jan 2 with 1598 viewsGloryHunter

Polter on 09:50 - Jan 2 by Neil_SI

I like him.

From a coaching point of view — there's lot's to work with there and improve, but he looks like the type of person that has the right attitude and is willing to learn. If we're patient and he's coached well, then he will make some improvements.

He works very hard in matches and currently that's his leveller — he's putting in more effort than a lot of other players with his willingness to harass the opposition and make a nuisance of himself and whatever anybody says, he's played a key role over the last few matches. He's had a good hand in creating and scoring goals and yesterday's header was nothing short of an excellent finish.

He does still need to adjust to the English game. There are obviously raw elements, and that's normal, he was a goalkeeper up until the age of 16, so that's why he sometimes appears a little gangly or flat footed in scenarios where you want to see a little bit more nimble footwork.

The easy things to start with are working a little bit on his positioning for headers. He's getting himself underneath the ball a little too much and therefore making it just a tad easier for the defender to win the aerial ball over the top of him. But, having said that, some of these challenges would also likely be judged as fouls back in Germany in his favour — and he did win quite a lot of fouls for us and that's a positive sign. If I were coaching him I'd teach him a few side on positions to help him contest some of those headers a little better and to help him make use of his strength in a more 'fair' fashion so that he can hold off the player without fouling them.

I've no problems with him being in the team at all. I think his work ethic and attitude are a breath of fresh air in this team.

Thanks Neil. You've said almost exactly what I was thinking yesterday. He gets under headers, and really needs to turn sideways-on and use his shoulders and arms, a la Bobby Zamora. What I can't understand is how he managed to score so many in Bundesliga 2 last season, with those limitations. It's possible he could be coached into being a good striker, but why hasn't he been coached already, having been in the professional game for a good few years?
[Post edited 2 Jan 2016 20:13]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024