Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Golf club advice 21:18 - May 3 with 2696 viewsdanehoop

welcome some advice people. Thinking of picking up golf again after pretty much stopping for 10 years. Never been a great golfer, played to around 18 handicap when I was younger and sneaked a few competition wins around Ruislip golf club.

Basically I have no idea where to start in selecting new clubs as most of what I used don't seem to be around anymore. So welcome a steer on what might be a good set to get back into the game. Don't want to go crazy, but looking for something to help me get going that isn't a nameless brand from Sports Direct.

Never knowingly understood

Golf club advice on 22:32 - May 3 with 2635 viewsbosh67

http://uk.callawaygolf.com/ as good as any.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Golf club advice on 22:39 - May 3 with 2622 viewsSimonJames

Perhaps visit a golf club that has a shop with experienced staff...

100% of people who drink water will die.

Golf club advice on 22:50 - May 3 with 2615 viewsstowmarketrange

Golf club advice on 22:39 - May 3 by SimonJames

Perhaps visit a golf club that has a shop with experienced staff...

Or visit your local American Golf centre.They normally let you practice with different clubs until you find some that suit.
Golf club advice on 23:35 - May 3 with 2586 viewsHook

Started at Ruislip myself. Look on Ebay for Ping, Calloway or Taylormade cavity back irons.
Get a full set 3/4 - sw irons for £100-150. Don't buy new as far too expensive and most sets only come with 6or7 clubs and try to do you for 4 wedges at a £100 each. Worth getting a 60 degree wedge if going back to Ruislip with small narrow greens. Best of luck and enjoy.
Golf club advice on 08:29 - May 4 with 2502 viewskingsburyR

Dane, Where are you based mate. I have a brand new set of Taylor Mades sitting in my garage that have never been used.

Would make ideal clubs.

PM me.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Golf club advice on 11:03 - May 4 with 2434 viewshoof_hearted

Second hand bargains galore. Fastest depreciating asset in the universe but they are usually almost new condition and it won't make any difference to your game (in the nicest possible way I'm guessing you aren't aiming to turn pro!)
Golf club advice on 16:12 - May 4 with 2367 viewsPlanetHonneywood

As Churchill said of golf "Its a good walk ruined" and so in view of the expense of the game, the fact you weren't much good at it in the naughties and you'll likely be worse now, because your back and joints might experience early onset degenerative conditions trying to take up golf again; I've been thinking.

These issues allied to the fact that tartan doesn't suit you and you look a wally in plus fours, leads me to the conclusion that you'd be better off financially, physically and to an extent, emotionally, if you thought about your pride and credibility, and abandoned this stupid idea.

However, if you insist, then a more viable option might be to consider the offerings of the good chaps at EA Sports. ( https://www.easports.com/uk/pga-tour)

Its not for you sonny. Trust me on this.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Golf club advice on 19:00 - May 4 with 2326 viewsDorse

Golf isn't the same since they outlawed tackling. It's health and safety gone mad.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Login to get fewer ads

Golf club advice on 19:27 - May 4 with 2306 viewsQPR1882

Go to American golf and tell them you are after a new set of clubs. They will let you try 2 out as many clubs as you want in there indoor range. When you have found the clubs you like and suit your game tell the guy you need time to make up your mind. Then go and buy the clubs you like on eBay , thats what i did.
Golf club advice on 22:25 - May 4 with 2250 viewsqueensparker

Back in our chaos admin years I outbid super Stevie Lomas for a set of Wilson clubs at the auction at the player of the year dinner.

The club took my details at the time but never took the cash out so I've always said a little thank you to Paladini as I shank another one into the trees
Golf club advice on 21:57 - May 5 with 2178 viewskingsburyR

You have mail Dane

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Golf club advice on 22:04 - May 5 with 2174 viewsBklynRanger

Golf club advice on 22:25 - May 4 by queensparker

Back in our chaos admin years I outbid super Stevie Lomas for a set of Wilson clubs at the auction at the player of the year dinner.

The club took my details at the time but never took the cash out so I've always said a little thank you to Paladini as I shank another one into the trees

Couldn't even sell a set of golf clubs. Classic.
Golf club advice on 22:54 - May 5 with 2159 viewsHantsR

Golf club advice on 16:12 - May 4 by PlanetHonneywood

As Churchill said of golf "Its a good walk ruined" and so in view of the expense of the game, the fact you weren't much good at it in the naughties and you'll likely be worse now, because your back and joints might experience early onset degenerative conditions trying to take up golf again; I've been thinking.

These issues allied to the fact that tartan doesn't suit you and you look a wally in plus fours, leads me to the conclusion that you'd be better off financially, physically and to an extent, emotionally, if you thought about your pride and credibility, and abandoned this stupid idea.

However, if you insist, then a more viable option might be to consider the offerings of the good chaps at EA Sports. ( https://www.easports.com/uk/pga-tour)

Its not for you sonny. Trust me on this.

Wasn't it Mark Twain said golf was ' a good walk spoiled'? I think in Lock Stock etc they incorrectly attributed it to Winston Churchill.

Must get out more ... I enjoy a weekly game using my cheap Wilson set - the way I play, albeit in the beautiful courses down this way, the quality of the clubs makes little difference.
Golf club advice on 06:17 - May 6 with 2140 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Golf club advice on 22:54 - May 5 by HantsR

Wasn't it Mark Twain said golf was ' a good walk spoiled'? I think in Lock Stock etc they incorrectly attributed it to Winston Churchill.

Must get out more ... I enjoy a weekly game using my cheap Wilson set - the way I play, albeit in the beautiful courses down this way, the quality of the clubs makes little difference.

Perhaps not? http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/28/golf-good-walk/

I do enjoy golf but man I'm crap. Last round with the in law in SA I must've lost 6 balls, very annoying. And also can't seem to hit with a 3 wood anymore, that used to be my safety driver!
Golf club advice on 08:27 - May 6 with 2105 viewspaulparker

Have been playing for just over a year now having decided I was to old, slow & fat for 5 aside football
got to say I love it its bloody active and frustrating at the same time the added plus is you get to dress up like an extra from the Firm
I would recommended definitely having lessons Dane , I had around 6 just after xmas and it worked a treat for my game especially with the irons

as for clubs try these,

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/

http://www.affordablegolf.co.uk/second-hand-golf-clubs

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Golf club advice on 11:04 - May 6 with 2080 viewsstuabd

For value for money, Cobra equipment is hard to beat. If you're going to buy some new clubs, then buy last years model and you'll get a great deal.

I would just borrow a set off a friend for a while and get back into it. Then go to your local pro shop and ask for a fitting. These days the golf shops will match any deal online. They won't charge you for custom fitting if you buy from them. Grip size, shaft length, lie and flex are important especially if your particularly tall or short.
Golf club advice on 09:22 - May 7 with 1991 viewsqprphil

Your best bet is to go to your local pro, try out some clubs, see what you like, and what he recommends, then have a look on ebay for that set. I no longer play due to health reasons but was a 6 handicap. Good luck.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024