Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? 08:57 - Sep 18 with 17103 viewsNortholt_Rs

I say yes.... I've seen no improvement in the team under these two in fact we're going backwards. The most alarming signs are our all too obvious lack of any goal threat and the awful drossball being served up each and every game. Something has to give...

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 11:56 - Sep 19 with 1936 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 11:26 - Sep 19 by simmo

My issue is not about results, I don't really give a fck if we lose - well I do, it effects my mood and happiness, especially on the day, but it's not about winning (you know what I mean) - but it does bother me that we've been given this 'high pressure and high tempo' chat from day one and it's currently nowhere to be seen.

We've been told that we will be fit, that we will have players that can play a high tempo, pressing game that means opposition will struggle to play against us and we will be defined by our tempo. We've signed players that can meet these requirements and jettisoned those JFH felt couldn't. So why after this many games are we suddenly a team that plays at a painstakingly slow pace with seemingly no idea what to do with the ball?

If you decide to set up a team in a way that will make you functional, niggly, hard to beat and tough to play against, you better make sure you follow through with that, ESPECIALLY if we're expected to tolerate that at the expense of attacking or expansive football. We're playing it super safe and still getting battered at the moment, that's where the frustration comes in. We're shoe horning in certain players, a lot of which out of position, all to accomodate certain players and a system that isn't working. No wonder the natives are restless.

I'm not ever going to advocate changing a manager at this stage and I want JFH to stay, but he needs to take this as a learning experience and adapt things - he can't keep saying and doing the same things. As for Sir Les - I have made my thoughts pretty clear. Him and Lee are the best things to happen to QPR in a long time and keeping them both regardless of manager is exactly the kind of consistency we've lacked and need to stick with.

Can't argue with any of that, but must stress that we are only in September and these issues can be sorted in no time which is different to having terminal issues like player apathy and a squad and coaching team full of Gordon Gekko types, which is mostly thanks to Les, Hoos, JFH, and like it or not Ramsay.

Chin up everyone.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2016 12:05]
If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 11:59 - Sep 19 with 1927 viewsDoughnut

Watching him tear teams various new ones, in the early 90s, I cannot bring myself to slag Sir Les. Things not good at the mo and he shares some of the blame. Im sure though he has the best in mind for this club. My head says hes at fault, but ticker says otherwise...and the heart is in charge w.r.t. Rangers...so Id like him to stay.
Transfer record since Les Ferdinand became our DOF on 12:14 - Sep 19 with 1887 viewsBasingstokeR

Transfer record since Les Ferdinand became our DOF on 04:15 - Sep 19 by superhoopdownunder

It seems unclear what a Director of Football does - even Wikipedia is unsure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_football

In my view a Director of Football should be responsible for the playing style and players we are signing, selling and releasing.
When Les started he inherited a lot of mercenaries, of which they have mostly left aside from Sandro and possibly Caulker.
We now have a squad of 29 players which is a smaller squad than last season. Over the summer we have brought 10 new players in and released 29 players. A lot of change and getting rid of a lot of the excess. We also made a profit in the last 2 transfer windows.
We are going through a transition back to a football club that lives within its means and this should include recruiting well, buying cheap and selling to make a decent profit - with good quality replacements ready to step in (Sinton / Sinclair example always comes to mind). The recruitment to date has been mixed.
Below are the 37 signings we have made since Les became DOF
In my humble opinion only 7 have been a success (19%), however it is too early to say on 16 players (43%) and 14 players (38%) have been failures

QPR Signings Since Les Ferdinand became DOF

Player When Success Comments
Massimo Luongo 15-16 Success
Olamide Shodipo 15-16 Success
Sebastian Polter 15-16 Success
Tjaronn Chery 15-16 Success
Grant Hall 15-16 Success
Alex Smithies 15-16 Success
Matt Ingram 15-16 Success
Ryan Manning 14-15 Too early to say
Osman Kakay 15-16 Too early to say
Axel Prohouly 15-16 Too early to say
Joshua Wallen 15-16 Too early to say
Conor Washington 15-16 Too early to say
Abdenasser El Khayati 15-16 Too early to say
Idrissa Sylla 16-17 Too early to say
Joel Lynch 16-17 Too early to say
Jake Bidwell 16-17 Too early to say
Jordan Cousins 16-17 Too early to say
Yeni Ngbakoto 16-17 Too early to say
Seny Dieng 16-17 Too early to say
Eberechi Eze 16-17 Too early to say
Christopher Paul 16-17 Too early to say
Ariel Borysiuk 16-17 Too early to say
Paweł Wszołek 16-17 Too early to say Loan
Mauro Zarate 14-15 Failure Loan - Left
Paul Konchesky 15-16 Failure Loan - Left
Gabriele Angella 15-16 Failure Loan - Left
George Butler 15-16 Failure Released
Nathan Corkery 15-16 Failure Released
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas 15-16 Failure Out on loan
Ben Gladwin 15-16 Failure Out on loan
Jamie Mackie 15-16 Failure Always injured
Joseph N'Guessan 15-16 Failure Released
James Perch 15-16 Failure
Tyler Blackwood 15-16 Failure Left
Oscar Gobern 15-16 Failure Left
Tom Rosenthal 15-16 Failure Released
Dániel TÅ‘zsér 15-16 Failure Left

Summary
Success 7 19%
Too early to say 16 43%
Failure 14 38%
Total Signings 37 100%

Anyway let's hope we can get back on track this week and beat Sunderland and Birmingham playing a more attractive style of football - like we once were well known for producing.

U R's
[Post edited 19 Sep 2016 4:33]

What's the timeframe for any judgement of success or failure in football?

As an example; the above player by player post seems to be putting equal importance on the signing of say Chery and Blackwood when working out %'s at the end? These players have had different amounts of time at the club, were signed for differing reasons etc.

"Jury's out statements" I can't see any problem with; but failure judgements on LF or JFH, even from our comparative position of ignorance of what actually goes on behind the scenes as fans; seem very very premature.
If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 12:31 - Sep 19 with 1851 viewsrsonist

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 10:58 - Sep 19 by paulparker

has Jackett really had a disaster ?? a promotion, a 7th place finish and then mid table
Rowett may come if the money is right
clement imho has unfinished business as a manager
warburton could end up a casualty of the circus that is Rangers
yes McLaren is a risk but so could JFH having the rest of the season
Wagner wouldn't come to us but if we could have a look around Europe we may find the someone like him

as for not going down ,on current form I cant think of any worse teams than us at the moment and a few seasons back Wolves wasn't considered a team for relegation and look what happened to them

A lot of what we've been complaining about this week applied to Jackett last season - and Wolves then are more or less where we are now. Negative unambitious football, no tempo, players out of position, wasting young talent, blaming the budget. I think he's been a good coach, certainly understand the sentiment towards him, but I don't see much logic at all in getting rid of JFH for him unless we're in serious relegation trouble.
If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 14:01 - Sep 19 with 1790 viewsMonkey_Roots

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 11:26 - Sep 19 by simmo

My issue is not about results, I don't really give a fck if we lose - well I do, it effects my mood and happiness, especially on the day, but it's not about winning (you know what I mean) - but it does bother me that we've been given this 'high pressure and high tempo' chat from day one and it's currently nowhere to be seen.

We've been told that we will be fit, that we will have players that can play a high tempo, pressing game that means opposition will struggle to play against us and we will be defined by our tempo. We've signed players that can meet these requirements and jettisoned those JFH felt couldn't. So why after this many games are we suddenly a team that plays at a painstakingly slow pace with seemingly no idea what to do with the ball?

If you decide to set up a team in a way that will make you functional, niggly, hard to beat and tough to play against, you better make sure you follow through with that, ESPECIALLY if we're expected to tolerate that at the expense of attacking or expansive football. We're playing it super safe and still getting battered at the moment, that's where the frustration comes in. We're shoe horning in certain players, a lot of which out of position, all to accomodate certain players and a system that isn't working. No wonder the natives are restless.

I'm not ever going to advocate changing a manager at this stage and I want JFH to stay, but he needs to take this as a learning experience and adapt things - he can't keep saying and doing the same things. As for Sir Les - I have made my thoughts pretty clear. Him and Lee are the best things to happen to QPR in a long time and keeping them both regardless of manager is exactly the kind of consistency we've lacked and need to stick with.

That last paragraph is exactly how I feel.

To my mind, we started the season better than I expected, we then saw a couple of results that felt more like the QPR we saw last year, so a bit sobering. We then get the thumping from Newcastle, which was awful, at home as well — a 6-0 away defeat to the biggest club in the division would be hard, but I could take it and put it to one side and say that most teams have a bad day and get a tonking now and again... but at home? You have to sit up and take notice of that.

The problem we have is that the Newcastle game was the beginning of a very difficult run for us, so we don't have a gimme game that we can use to pick ourselves back up (not that our form suggests we would definitely do btw). We go to Huddersfield and lose, although the result was at least a lot more competitive at least.

To put some perspective on it, we have lost 2 in a row to 2 of the better sides in the league — to talk of sacking JFH seems far too soon, and the same with talking of relegation, we are just over a month in to the season. But there is a caveat to this perspective — we got tonked at home, we're not playing attractive football, and we're shutting up shop and still getting beat. We need to see where the next few games sees us in terms of performance and personel — why was Shodipo rested after doing so well?

We have to keep the faith until christmas, and take stock then IMHO. The thought of sacking again makes me laugh and cry in equal measure. I don't even see this as anything to do with Les — his direction, ethos and ideas have all resonated with me, and I think he's really made a difference to us and how we conduct ourselves financially, and the way we as a club think, feel and do.
If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 14:43 - Sep 19 with 1744 viewsThe_Mole

When you've had such a successful spell at a club, where you will/should always be worshiped, it's then dangerous to come back in another capacity and expect to hit the same sort of highs.

Ferdinand will always be worshiped by me for his playing ability but sadly not his DOF skills IMHO
If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 14:54 - Sep 19 with 1727 viewsdannyblue

I still think it only needs tweaking. Reading between the lines it seems they are working too hard in training and are exhausted come kick off. They certainly look leggy. Plus the two central midfielders are too deep and flat and not confident enough to play forward to feet. One of them needs to move forward 10 yards because that opens up all the angles for progressive passing from front to back. As it is we knock it around at the back until it gets lumped aimlessly forward, or it goes to a fullback who isn’t comfortable on the ball and loses possession himself a little too high up the pitch and we get hit on the counter.

Despite it being only September, we have certainly entered the vicious circle. The Newcastle game knocked the stuffing out of them and confidence is low. If the manager loses confidence in himself, and the players lose confidence in him, with a toxic crowd all bets are off and it may become irretrievable.

Next four games will determine what happens. Sunderland at home in cup, birmingham at home, then Burton and fulham away. JFH is unlikely to be able to survive if we lose more than two of those games. Win two or three and score some goals and everything will be fine again.
If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 12:34 - Sep 20 with 1540 viewsderbyhoop

I think BAWHoops and PunterR have summed it up comprehensively.

Les has the qualifications and experience to be a decent DoF. He understands what this club is about. All the evidence suggests that he is doing a decent job, with wage bills being reduced, younger and hungrier players being brought in, major improvements to scouting and recruitment. You can add progress, however painfully slow, with Warren Farm and Old Oak

As he said himself, not everybody brought into the club will be a success, especially when you are operating under FFP and market distortions due to the massively increased parachute payments.

IMHO, we should stick with the manager we appointed a mere 9 months ago, even if (especially when) results aren't going the way we want. The alternative is to throw vast sums of money at managers and players and hope it pays off. That worked so well over the last 5 years, didn't it?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 16:56 - Sep 20 with 1466 viewswombat

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 12:34 - Sep 20 by derbyhoop

I think BAWHoops and PunterR have summed it up comprehensively.

Les has the qualifications and experience to be a decent DoF. He understands what this club is about. All the evidence suggests that he is doing a decent job, with wage bills being reduced, younger and hungrier players being brought in, major improvements to scouting and recruitment. You can add progress, however painfully slow, with Warren Farm and Old Oak

As he said himself, not everybody brought into the club will be a success, especially when you are operating under FFP and market distortions due to the massively increased parachute payments.

IMHO, we should stick with the manager we appointed a mere 9 months ago, even if (especially when) results aren't going the way we want. The alternative is to throw vast sums of money at managers and players and hope it pays off. That worked so well over the last 5 years, didn't it?

got no problem with LF or JFH problem ive got it the football being played every week , we have some decent young players on board who must also be bored into oblvion each sat. if JFH cant change his style of play hes in serious trouble , a good manager can alter things either before the game or during a game so far JF dosnt seem to be able to do either

Poll: which is your favouite foot

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 23:29 - Sep 20 with 1366 viewsNortholt_Rs

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 16:56 - Sep 20 by wombat

got no problem with LF or JFH problem ive got it the football being played every week , we have some decent young players on board who must also be bored into oblvion each sat. if JFH cant change his style of play hes in serious trouble , a good manager can alter things either before the game or during a game so far JF dosnt seem to be able to do either

According to JFH we aren't playing negatively:
http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-boss-responds-criticism-style-play
He must be watching a different team to the one I see every week then.
Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack!

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 01:05 - Sep 21 with 1395 viewsMonkey_Roots

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 23:29 - Sep 20 by Northolt_Rs

According to JFH we aren't playing negatively:
http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-boss-responds-criticism-style-play
He must be watching a different team to the one I see every week then.
Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack! Attack!

I think he's saying that he's setting the team up in a positive style - wingers and attackers, which you can't argue with. It's not working at the moment, which is also something you can't argue with - the results tell the story. Hopefully he can turn it around.
If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 23:38 - Sep 21 with 1291 viewsNortholt_Rs

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 01:05 - Sep 21 by Monkey_Roots

I think he's saying that he's setting the team up in a positive style - wingers and attackers, which you can't argue with. It's not working at the moment, which is also something you can't argue with - the results tell the story. Hopefully he can turn it around.

Just back...much better tonight but JFH 100% lost us the game. Playing 442 we are 1-0 up with Sandro my MoTM (before he tired anyway). We then revert to Jimbo's favourite one up top formation and surprise surprise sit back and give away two goals. Mental.

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 23:51 - Sep 21 with 1267 viewsNorthernr

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 23:38 - Sep 21 by Northolt_Rs

Just back...much better tonight but JFH 100% lost us the game. Playing 442 we are 1-0 up with Sandro my MoTM (before he tired anyway). We then revert to Jimbo's favourite one up top formation and surprise surprise sit back and give away two goals. Mental.

You think we were playing 442 tonight?
This tells me a lot.
If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 23:58 - Sep 21 with 1255 viewsdaveB

eerrrrrr we played 1 up front tonight, was same formation as normal with Washington and Polish fella wide and Nasser in the Cherry role
If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 23:58 - Sep 21 with 1253 viewskensalriser

You certainly are. Mental.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 00:06 - Sep 22 with 1241 viewsNortholt_Rs

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 23:58 - Sep 21 by daveB

eerrrrrr we played 1 up front tonight, was same formation as normal with Washington and Polish fella wide and Nasser in the Cherry role

Fair play Dave - I meant with Washington pushing forward we effectively had two up front - as soon as he got taken off what happened? We sat deeper, invited them on to us, our LB was horribly exposed and....well we're out of the next round draw. Mind you just as well probably because we would've been up against chazzer!!!!

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 00:10 - Sep 22 with 1232 viewsNortholt_Rs

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 23:58 - Sep 21 by kensalriser

You certainly are. Mental.

Yep. Lee Cook is mental too.

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/football/queens-park-rangers/lee_cook_column
[Post edited 22 Sep 2016 0:13]

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 00:27 - Sep 22 with 1205 viewsNorthernr

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 00:10 - Sep 22 by Northolt_Rs

Yep. Lee Cook is mental too.

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/football/queens-park-rangers/lee_cook_column
[Post edited 22 Sep 2016 0:13]

If you blindfolded Lee Cook, stuck him in the boot of a car, drove that car into the middle of the woods in the middle of Romania and left it and him there in the silent darkness for the whole of tonight he'd still know we didn't play 4-4-2 at any point tonight.
If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 00:51 - Sep 22 with 1186 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If JFH goes does Tottenham Les go too? on 00:27 - Sep 22 by Northernr

If you blindfolded Lee Cook, stuck him in the boot of a car, drove that car into the middle of the woods in the middle of Romania and left it and him there in the silent darkness for the whole of tonight he'd still know we didn't play 4-4-2 at any point tonight.

That's quite similar to how his agent got him to play in Greece.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024