Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The placing of away fans 11:42 - Sep 18 with 3670 viewskingsburyR

Is the new modern trend of placing oppo fans in crappy corners or away in the gods killing whats left of atmosphere at grounds?

Surely the F.A. & Prem League have to do something as away fans pay good money for cra views!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

The placing of away fans on 12:11 - Sep 18 with 2925 viewsTheChef

Agreed, it's rubbish.

Didn't realised Boro had started doing it as well.

Home fans behind one goal, away fans behind the other goal. It's not difficult.

Worst is probably where you're thinly strung out along the lower tier, impossible to get any atmosphere going. Real shame as it used to be great behind the goal with that big roof.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The placing of away fans on 12:23 - Sep 18 with 2872 viewsrrrspricey

I thought I saw something about the FL/PL saying away fans can't be higher that 2nd tier?

It's not just the fact that it's a rubbish view but it's hard to make enough noise that will really impact the players.

Was a Newcastle a few year ago and we had great support up there (particularly for a midweek game) but a mate who is a Geordie said we could barely be heard and it's the same every week.
The placing of away fans on 12:40 - Sep 18 with 2829 viewsrobith

The placing of away fans on 12:23 - Sep 18 by rrrspricey

I thought I saw something about the FL/PL saying away fans can't be higher that 2nd tier?

It's not just the fact that it's a rubbish view but it's hard to make enough noise that will really impact the players.

Was a Newcastle a few year ago and we had great support up there (particularly for a midweek game) but a mate who is a Geordie said we could barely be heard and it's the same every week.

Last time I went to Newcastle (in the Prem) we were on the back row of our section. I think the International Space Station had a better view (great view of the city though, which was ultimately more interesting than the game)
The placing of away fans on 13:01 - Sep 18 with 2784 viewsJuzzie

Always seemed to me they were placed in such a way they were out of the camera view as much as possible, as though they didn't exist.
The placing of away fans on 13:03 - Sep 18 with 2774 viewsJAPRANGERS

I guess away fans won't exist for real in the near future when 1 zillion games are on SKY.
The placing of away fans on 13:11 - Sep 18 with 2749 viewsHayesender

The placing of away fans on 12:23 - Sep 18 by rrrspricey

Was that the one when we wore the navy blue away kit?

Night game, up in the clouds, alcohol all meant I struggled to make out what was what

Poll: Shamima Beghum

The placing of away fans on 13:48 - Sep 18 with 2678 viewsenfieldargh

Wolves is just as bad, you even get soaked when its not raining

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

The placing of away fans on 13:58 - Sep 18 with 2650 viewsTacticalR

I think removing away fans from behind the goal is one of the biggest mistakes made in football and has detracted from football as a competitive spectacle.

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

The placing of away fans on 14:02 - Sep 18 with 2637 viewsTheChef

The placing of away fans on 12:11 - Sep 18 by TheChef

Agreed, it's rubbish.

Didn't realised Boro had started doing it as well.

Home fans behind one goal, away fans behind the other goal. It's not difficult.

Worst is probably where you're thinly strung out along the lower tier, impossible to get any atmosphere going. Real shame as it used to be great behind the goal with that big roof.

Worst is probably at Wolves, I meant to add..

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The placing of away fans on 14:17 - Sep 18 with 2604 viewssimmo

That being said, the view at Boro on Saturday was perfectly fine and a lot better than when I have been at Fulham or Upton Park, etc, sat 'behind the goal' at pitch level trying to guess at what is going on down the other end.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

The placing of away fans on 14:20 - Sep 18 with 2593 viewsrrrspricey

The placing of away fans on 13:11 - Sep 18 by Hayesender

Night game, up in the clouds, alcohol all meant I struggled to make out what was what

Couldn't say about the kit for certain Hayes, got into Weatherspoons opposite the station at about 1:30 and was drinking with some of our Irish cousins, it's all a bit fuzzy after that

Think it was around 2009/10, ended up 1 - 1.
The placing of away fans on 14:37 - Sep 18 with 2535 viewsMistication92

The PL has tried to combat bad away views by saying all clubs have to put away fans in the lower tier, it'll be interesting to see what Newcastle do about that. Doesn't stop them putting you in a corner though, like Boro, Derby, Norwich, Forest and countless others.

I'd like the FA and leagues increase the minimum away allocations. In the PL it's 10% up to 3k and I think the FL only 2k. I'd make it the cup 15% every time. They're the ones that create the atmosphere.
The placing of away fans on 14:42 - Sep 18 with 2514 viewscolinallcars

One day football will be played behind closed doors with a computer generated crowd in the same way that there are no musicians on most pop records.
Who was it that said " all that was once lived is now mere representation, the spectacle is at the heart of society and whatever junk the captains of industry wish upon us ".

He was right. Was it Guy de Bord ?
The placing of away fans on 14:50 - Sep 18 with 2490 viewscyprusmel

Looking at all the posts on this subject, I am certainly in a minority (of one) but why would you want to give the away fans the advantage of urging their team on from behind the goal.
It must be better to place your own fans behind both goals.
The placing of away fans on 15:06 - Sep 18 with 2454 viewsBoston

The placing of away fans on 14:50 - Sep 18 by cyprusmel

Looking at all the posts on this subject, I am certainly in a minority (of one) but why would you want to give the away fans the advantage of urging their team on from behind the goal.

That certainly seems to be the idea at some clubs, but it's as much security as anything else in my opinion. Having been to both 'boro and Wolves recently, I don't think the away accommodation is that bad, certainly better than Newcastle's eye in the sky, or the seats under the cantilever at Anfield.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The placing of away fans on 15:08 - Sep 18 with 2447 viewspaulparker

The placing of away fans on 14:50 - Sep 18 by cyprusmel

Football is tribal, you at one end us at the other , that's the way it should be
people talk about atmosphere at stadiums well us , Brentford, Fulham, Spurs the old Upton park , stoke are some of the best going when it was packed , they all have it in common that the away fans are behind the goal , the best games to watch are the cup ones when fans take 5-7 k away
its no coincidence that Boro, Sunderland and Newcastle have terrible atmospheres as they put fans in the heavens
I would rather go to a game at HQ that the oppo fans have packed with two tiers , give them some "banter" and flick a few V's at them from x block, if you see us against the likes of Burton , Rotherham, wigan, Barnsley , mk dons who bring about 50 fans in the upper school end then the atmosphere is like being at a library , its not fun

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The placing of away fans on 16:58 - Sep 18 with 2337 viewsNorthernr

One of those things where you're never going to please everybody. I like a higher up view, side on to the pitch, so I preferred the corner at Middlesbrough to when they used to have us behind the goal there. Fulham and West Ham in recent years we've been allocated seats in the first two rows behind the goal which basically reduces events at the far end of the field to a complete guessing game. Newcastle is a bit excessive - missed the second half there the other year when a cloud moved in - but I prefer higher to lower given the choice.
The placing of away fans on 17:13 - Sep 18 with 2302 viewsDevonWhite

The placing of away fans on 16:58 - Sep 18 by Northernr

One of those things where you're never going to please everybody. I like a higher up view, side on to the pitch, so I preferred the corner at Middlesbrough to when they used to have us behind the goal there. Fulham and West Ham in recent years we've been allocated seats in the first two rows behind the goal which basically reduces events at the far end of the field to a complete guessing game. Newcastle is a bit excessive - missed the second half there the other year when a cloud moved in - but I prefer higher to lower given the choice.

Agreed, I definitely prefer being higher up. Last time I was at Upton Park I was front row in the far left corner so all I could really see was a side on view of the East Stand from below. No idea what was going on on the pitch.

Appreciate families often prefer being near the front though so it would make sense if the club gave us the option when booking away tickets of choosing front, middle or back of allocation. Fulham do this.
The placing of away fans on 19:28 - Sep 18 with 2156 viewskensalriser

The placing of away fans on 14:42 - Sep 18 by colinallcars

One day football will be played behind closed doors with a computer generated crowd in the same way that there are no musicians on most pop records.
Who was it that said " all that was once lived is now mere representation, the spectacle is at the heart of society and whatever junk the captains of industry wish upon us ".

He was right. Was it Guy de Bord ?

Guy Debord, The Society of the Spectacle. You are a scholar, sir.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The placing of away fans on 19:40 - Sep 18 with 2133 viewsFDC

The placing of away fans on 13:11 - Sep 18 by Hayesender

I was at that game, ridiculous, genuinely couldn't make out the two teams. Can't remember the score but I think we drew.
The placing of away fans on 19:41 - Sep 18 with 2130 viewsFDC

Re the OP, it's not necessarily a new thing - away 'wedge' at Goodison is off to the side for example.
The placing of away fans on 20:12 - Sep 18 with 2071 viewsthemodfather

don't kid yourselves that clubs care about fans, especially away fans, they want your money and that's it.
many grounds are new or have been modernised, yet move away fans to any section they want....leeds have put us in numerous ends....
the view from the newcastle away end is up in the gods!
The placing of away fans on 08:11 - Sep 19 with 1754 viewsSuffolkHoop

I always think being an away fan at loftus road looks like great fun. For most it's a big day out in London, easy public transport and an away win!
The placing of away fans on 08:21 - Sep 19 with 1749 viewsDorse

The redevelopment of the away stand will have a new trench for oppo fans. Safe standing though, so it's not all bad.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The placing of away fans on 09:13 - Sep 19 with 1692 viewsdodge_stoke_r

The placing of away fans on 13:58 - Sep 18 by TacticalR

I think removing away fans from behind the goal is one of the biggest mistakes made in football and has detracted from football as a competitive spectacle.

Football isn't and hasn't been a competitive spectacle for something time. Certainly not in The Premier League where "success" is measured by finishing 4th from bottom or above.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024