Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes Thread 19:48 - Nov 15 with 44817 viewsBlackCrowe

If we survive the 1st test, i think we might just sneak it. If we lose it, it'll probably be carnage.

Going to days 1-3 of Sydney. Anyone else there?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes Thread on 04:34 - Dec 15 with 2526 viewsflynnbo

Typical English tail. Taxi for Ali and Woakes unless they prove their worth with the ball.
Ashes Thread on 04:42 - Dec 15 with 2518 viewsNov77

I don't think I've ever seen any batsman look more scared of being hit by the ball than Stuart broad.

Such a shame, he used to be decent with the bat.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes Thread on 04:58 - Dec 15 with 2509 viewsElHoop

If we are to have a good chance to win this game then 400 is enough but we need a couple of early wickets now. It's down to the bowlers to give us a lead of 100 plus. If we end up being behind on the first innings then a whitewash beckons.
Ashes Thread on 04:59 - Dec 15 with 2509 viewsHantsR

Anyone up and watching on BT Sports might like to know that QPR v Burnley 1979/80 is showing on BT Sports 2 at 5 am. Something to watch in the lunch break?

Hmm 4-0 up half time. Bowles wearing no 7.

FT 7 -0 unhappy debut for young Burnley goalkeeper. OK back to cricket.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2017 5:28]
Ashes Thread on 23:52 - Dec 15 with 2395 viewsstowmarketrange

An update on the guy from Northern Ireland.He is called Phillip if means anything to a few on here.
Also there is rain forecast for Sunday and Monday here so a draw looks likely.
It’s football shirts today so I’ll be the loner in hoops in with the Barrie’s.
Ashes Thread on 09:16 - Dec 16 with 2340 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes Thread on 04:58 - Dec 15 by ElHoop

If we are to have a good chance to win this game then 400 is enough but we need a couple of early wickets now. It's down to the bowlers to give us a lead of 100 plus. If we end up being behind on the first innings then a whitewash beckons.

Dear oh dear.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes Thread on 10:32 - Dec 16 with 2296 viewskropotkin41

Oh gawd!

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Ashes Thread on 00:01 - Dec 17 with 2215 viewsElHoop

Ashes Thread on 09:16 - Dec 16 by ted_hendrix

Dear oh dear.

Yeah oh dear.

Best we can hope for now is a draw and a few batsmen find some form. If Cook can bat for a couple of sessions or more then we might just save this one, even without the rain. It's almost certainly going to be Cook's last competitive Ashes test if we go down here - does he want to avoid that? Surely he's due a last hurrah.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes Thread on 08:49 - Dec 17 with 2146 viewsCamberleyR

Usual Perth humiliation. Unless it rains for two days, an innings or ten wickets defeat is looming. One series too far for Cook who looks shot.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes Thread on 09:23 - Dec 17 with 2130 viewsted_hendrix

Second best I'm afraid in every department, bowling, batting, captaincy etcetera.

The two England batsmen I thought would cause the Aussies problems have been found wanting, Cook and Root.

Got to hand it to Steve Smith though what a fcking batsmen.

Ashes Thread on 09:27 - Dec 17 with 2124 viewsYorkRanger

So disappointing although you have to say the ball that got Vince was just about unplayable
Ashes Thread on 10:14 - Dec 17 with 2095 viewsElHoop

Ashes Thread on 09:27 - Dec 17 by YorkRanger

So disappointing although you have to say the ball that got Vince was just about unplayable

In a way it was good that Vince got out to something different, although that was about as cruelly 'different' as you can get. Did enough there to keep his place though. The top order is still shite though. Stoneman looks out of his depth, Cook as someone said looks shot, Root doesn't look like the pre-captain version these days. The bottom order can't get many runs either, so the middle order stripped of Stokes is basically two or three people getting the runs. You can't win anything like that. At the end of the day the Aussies are better than us and we just have to take it on the chin now.
Ashes Thread on 10:35 - Dec 17 with 2070 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes Thread on 10:14 - Dec 17 by ElHoop

In a way it was good that Vince got out to something different, although that was about as cruelly 'different' as you can get. Did enough there to keep his place though. The top order is still shite though. Stoneman looks out of his depth, Cook as someone said looks shot, Root doesn't look like the pre-captain version these days. The bottom order can't get many runs either, so the middle order stripped of Stokes is basically two or three people getting the runs. You can't win anything like that. At the end of the day the Aussies are better than us and we just have to take it on the chin now.

We got lucky with the rain but the forecast is even worse for tomorrow.
We’re gonna win 2-2.
Ashes Thread on 11:14 - Dec 17 with 2043 viewskropotkin41

Oh gawd!

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Ashes Thread on 16:50 - Dec 17 with 1968 viewsHoopsarrr

Whoever thought England would actually compete in Australia needs to take a good hard look at themselves.
Ashes Thread on 18:08 - Dec 17 with 1935 viewsHayesender

Only our bowlers could make 400 seem like 150. Pathetic

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Ashes Thread on 21:23 - Dec 17 with 1879 viewsfinney

Ashes Thread on 23:52 - Dec 15 by stowmarketrange

An update on the guy from Northern Ireland.He is called Phillip if means anything to a few on here.
Also there is rain forecast for Sunday and Monday here so a draw looks likely.
It’s football shirts today so I’ll be the loner in hoops in with the Barrie’s.

He’s called Philip Cross from Dungannon life long QPR fan he’s my best mates nephew the lad is a great fella and lovely family he’d a QPR season ticket at school so when he was teased by Man Utd Fans and such he’d just ask for to see theirs and always proud to be R’s as I say great lad on holiday of a lifetime
Ashes Thread on 21:55 - Dec 17 with 1847 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes Thread on 10:39 - Dec 12 by TheChef

Equally I think Root is part of the problem - arguably still too young and immature for the job, probably still sees himself as one of the boys and doesn't currently have the gravitas or authority to lead the players.

Nothing like an Ashes tour to learn about these things the hard way.

Bit late coming back to this - whole thing too depressing really - but I agree. Not sure its fair to say he sees himself as one of the boys, more like the rest of the boys still see him that way, if you see what I mean. E.g. I can't imagine him giving Anderson an almighty b**locking if he's not getting his line right. The one thing he could have done was lead from the front as a batsman but he's been woeful.

People slagged off Cook's captaincy something terrible for being dull but in the first place the obvious tactic is obvious because its usually right and secondly tactics is a minor part of captaincy IMO. Strauss was never funky but my God do we miss his steel and quiet determination as captain. (Only captain of either side to win an away series since Waugh in 2001, a massively under-rated achievement IMO) I actually think its really unfortunate that he's not out there to have a few words but then again the reason he's not puts it all into perspective a bit.
Ashes Thread on 23:24 - Dec 17 with 1803 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes Thread on 21:55 - Dec 17 by CiderwithRsie

Bit late coming back to this - whole thing too depressing really - but I agree. Not sure its fair to say he sees himself as one of the boys, more like the rest of the boys still see him that way, if you see what I mean. E.g. I can't imagine him giving Anderson an almighty b**locking if he's not getting his line right. The one thing he could have done was lead from the front as a batsman but he's been woeful.

People slagged off Cook's captaincy something terrible for being dull but in the first place the obvious tactic is obvious because its usually right and secondly tactics is a minor part of captaincy IMO. Strauss was never funky but my God do we miss his steel and quiet determination as captain. (Only captain of either side to win an away series since Waugh in 2001, a massively under-rated achievement IMO) I actually think its really unfortunate that he's not out there to have a few words but then again the reason he's not puts it all into perspective a bit.

Very few visiting sides ever win series here, I think only England and South Africa in the last 25 years or so. The conditions suit their bowlers just like the conditions in England suit ours. We aren't good enough but don't overestimate this Aussie side either. They are always strong at home but Smith aside are not a great team. The Aussie sides of around 15 years ago would have been beating this England team inside 3 days.

I agree Cook looks shot. Shame as he's still young enough to potentially have some good years in him. Happens to all top order batsmen eventually. I recall Ricky Ponting also trying to struggle on when he was clearly gone.
Ashes Thread on 01:22 - Dec 18 with 1770 viewsisawqpratwcity

You blokes might want to keep an eye on this one.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR702.loop.shtml#skip

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes Thread on 08:14 - Dec 18 with 1724 viewsDiscodroids

Top Tip English Cricketers and Management. When being interviewed by the media after molecular decimation in perpetuity at the behest of Australia in the ashes , simply find an alternative word to use other than 'disappointing'.

I suggest 'enfeebled', 'emasculated', 'subjugated', 'gelded' and 'Castratus'.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Ashes Thread on 08:25 - Dec 18 with 1710 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes Thread on 08:14 - Dec 18 by Discodroids

Top Tip English Cricketers and Management. When being interviewed by the media after molecular decimation in perpetuity at the behest of Australia in the ashes , simply find an alternative word to use other than 'disappointing'.

Useless knobs

Ashes Thread on 08:53 - Dec 18 with 1671 viewsShotKneesHoop

A once great game now morphed into an elitist organisation, run by public school Brexit toff suits, who don't give a flying one for the cricket played in state schools, on playing fields, parks, recreational cricket where people play for the love of the game, and who can't afford to have Sky or BT Sport.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Ashes Thread on 08:54 - Dec 18 with 1670 viewsCamberleyR

Or "bummed in the gob."

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes Thread on 09:03 - Dec 18 with 1654 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes Thread on 23:24 - Dec 17 by SydneyRs

Very few visiting sides ever win series here, I think only England and South Africa in the last 25 years or so. The conditions suit their bowlers just like the conditions in England suit ours. We aren't good enough but don't overestimate this Aussie side either. They are always strong at home but Smith aside are not a great team. The Aussie sides of around 15 years ago would have been beating this England team inside 3 days.

I agree Cook looks shot. Shame as he's still young enough to potentially have some good years in him. Happens to all top order batsmen eventually. I recall Ricky Ponting also trying to struggle on when he was clearly gone.

Not just Australia, it is notoriously hard to win in India, Pakistan are formidable at "home" and England don't lose home series much either (since Duncan Fletcher anyway.) Bit of an issue for Test cricket IMO.

But whitewashes aren't usual and contrary to what I said originally this looks nailed on for one. (The flaw in my thinking was that I thought we were only down one player in Stokes, I didn't foresee that 3 of our top 4 batsmen - Cook, Root and Ali - would have improved the team if they'd all been arrested in Bristol too.)

Aus in England at least compete and since I agree about the quality of current Aus it's not good enough that we don't. The players are good enough IMO to at least do that but are underperforming - I think Cook can still do it if motivated but I don't think the leadership (captain, coach, senior players) have the appetite for winning that Aus always have and which might get Cook up for the fight; or which might have sustained Root's confidence which looks temporarily shot.

I'd restrict Bayliss to ODI/T20 coach and beg Alec Stewart to take the test job. Can't do much about the captaincy now but Broad might have been a better shout. If someone could push Ramprakash out of the plane on the way home that'd help.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024