Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If 08:26 - Jul 12 with 7843 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I don’t do poetry, it’s pretentious bollox! That said, when I first came across ‘If’ as a teenager, I’ve gone through life frequently reading it. It’s the most beautiful piece of prose I know.

It’s just before 2pm in Rangoon. I’v just woken up and I don’t know if I need a shit or a shower. But I do know I’ve the most monstrous hangover, the wife wrote a lovely message and beside me in bed is our cat, who we saved as a kitten. His name is Kipling.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream–and not make dreams your master;
If you can think–and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings–nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And–which is more–you’ll be a Man, my son!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

If on 13:03 - Jul 21 with 2351 viewsFDC

If on 12:49 - Jul 21 by Hayesender

Dress all in black ✔

Cover faces ✔

Suppress debate ✔

Shout down free speech ✔

Call anyone who they disagree with racist ✔

Urge and carry out violence against anyone they disagree with ✔

I know who the real facists are, and it's not those who the left label as far right.

Real far right groups such as national action are that tiny they're irrelevant

Woah, it's like [galaxy brain pulsates]... antifascists are the real fascists man. Far out. I will call this my horse shoe theory.

Dress all in black ✔

Fascism isn't about fashion, although the words are similar so I can understand the mistake.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2018 13:03]
If on 13:25 - Jul 21 with 2301 viewskensalriser

If on 12:55 - Jul 21 by DeepcutHoop

An absolute nothing of a story.

Student Union is decorated without consulting with them.

They didn't approve and redecorated with a different poem.

It is of no shock that SU's are political, this has been the case for decades.

Right-wing snowflakes seem desperate to be offended by so little

And there we are, someone who's taken the trouble to read the whole story before shouting the odds on the basis of a part-story.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

If on 01:18 - Jul 22 with 2151 viewstimcocking

If on 18:05 - Jul 20 by Hayesender

Something all very "Hitler youth" about all these lefty protesters

Very much so.
If on 04:24 - Jul 22 with 2125 viewsHooparoo

As the Bard once wrote: “Nothing’s good or bad but thinking makes it so”

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

If on 08:47 - Jul 22 with 2074 viewsCiderwithRsie

If on 01:18 - Jul 22 by timcocking

Very much so.

Not at all really, if you know much about the Hitler Youth. I don't see them either going camping in the woods or fighting through the streets of Berlin, and they don't seem to hero-worship anyone.

This lot are just sanctimonious and have decided that once someone is a Bad Person everything they say must be ignored. Same thing you get with Trump fans but at least this lot are still kids and might grow up one day.

Also, as someone pointed out, they're pissed off that they weren't consulted about their own building. Whoever decided that a Victorian poem was the way to get down with the kids was clearly a PR genius (not).
If on 08:51 - Jul 22 with 2071 viewsToast_R

I dont really see the point in attempting to Sanitize history. Kipling was born in 1800's under British Empire rule, it would be suprising if his work didn't show signs of white superiority in some form.

We used to react to prejudice but now it seems such is the need to show everyone how righteous we are, people are activly seeking it out and more often than not, in places where it doesn't exist. Madness. It's an easy target though isn't it? Attacking the works of a dead poet, whooa f*cking hell, what an inspiration these guys are...
If on 10:25 - Jul 22 with 2009 viewsPunteR

Has this country always been this divided by left and right views..? I'm getting pretty sick of it all tbh and i try and keep my political views neutral.

Ive never actually read that If poem all the way through, so cheers Planet H.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

If on 10:55 - Jul 22 with 1982 viewsRangersw12

If on 10:25 - Jul 22 by PunteR

Has this country always been this divided by left and right views..? I'm getting pretty sick of it all tbh and i try and keep my political views neutral.

I think it probably has but nowadays all the nonsense is in your face on social media and it's difficult to get away from.

I'm sure 95% of the country don't really care and the 5% just shout rubbish at each other with no regard for facts or truth and just care about making their "side" look better
Login to get fewer ads

If on 12:08 - Jul 22 with 1941 viewsDeepcutHoop

If on 08:51 - Jul 22 by Toast_R

I dont really see the point in attempting to Sanitize history. Kipling was born in 1800's under British Empire rule, it would be suprising if his work didn't show signs of white superiority in some form.

We used to react to prejudice but now it seems such is the need to show everyone how righteous we are, people are activly seeking it out and more often than not, in places where it doesn't exist. Madness. It's an easy target though isn't it? Attacking the works of a dead poet, whooa f*cking hell, what an inspiration these guys are...

There is a big difference between understanding history and celebrating it.

Is removing a poem they didn't want, classed as an attack now? FFS
If on 12:26 - Jul 22 with 1926 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If on 10:25 - Jul 22 by PunteR

Considering in previous years we have murdered each other regularly over a difference of politics , a few snide comments on a QPR forum isn’t really much to worry about is it?
[Post edited 22 Jul 2018 12:33]
If on 14:04 - Jul 22 with 1874 viewsTearsofrage

If anyone is mug enough to believe that "The White Man's Burden" is a racist poem then they need therapy. Certainly some of Kipling's attitudes were paternalistic in terms of the then "subject" races but his views on integrity and decency span all races. A great deal of garbage has been spouted about Mr K and he clearly lived in a very different era from 2018 but "The Sons of Martha" clearly identifies what he sees as valuable is hard work irrespective of the colour or race, or creed of the worker. What he resents are those who do little but receive much. This from a lifelong leftie and teacher of literature - it ain't all bollox!
If on 14:48 - Jul 22 with 1858 viewsPunteR

If on 12:26 - Jul 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

Considering in previous years we have murdered each other regularly over a difference of politics , a few snide comments on a QPR forum isn’t really much to worry about is it?

Its not just on a QPR forum though is it.. its bloody all over the internet.
Sure we've murdered each other over differences of political views in the past but has it been so left/right wing.? I thought religion was the main course of wars anyhow..?
We're getting more and more divided as a country. Thats how i see it anyway. maybe its always been like it and i just haven't noticed.

If on 15:40 - Jul 22 with 1822 viewskensalriser

George Orwell wrote about Kipling in 1942.

An excerpt is below. The full essay is here: http://www.george-orwell.org/Rudyard_Kipling/0.html

"It is no use pretending that Kipling's view of life, as a whole, can be accepted or even forgiven by any civilized person. It is no use claiming, for instance, that when Kipling describes a British soldier beating a 'ni*ger' with a cleaning rod in order to get money out of him, he is acting merely as a reporter and does not necessarily approve what he describes. There is not the slightest sign anywhere in Kipling's work that he disapproves of that kind of conduct--on the contrary, there is a definite strain of sadism
in him, over and above the brutality which a writer of that type has to have. Kipling is a jingo imperialist, he is morally insensitive and aesthetically disgusting."
[Post edited 22 Jul 2018 15:41]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

If on 18:40 - Jul 22 with 1742 viewsted_hendrix

"I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed–and gazed–but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

William Wordsworth.

"In the land of the Bumbley Boo
The People are red white and blue,
They never blow noses,
Or ever wear closes,
What a sensible thing to do!

In the land of the Bumbley Boo
You can buy Lemon pie at the zoo;
They give away foxes
In little Pink Boxes
And Bottles of Dandelion Stew.

In the land of the Bumbley Boo
You never see a Gnu,
But thousands of cats
Wearing trousers and hats
Made of Pumpkins and Pelican Glue!

Oh, the Bumbley Boo! the Bumbley Boo!
That's the place for me and you!
So hurry! Let's run!
The train leaves at one!
For the land of the Bumbley Boo!
The wonderful Bumbley Boo-Boo-Boo!
The Wonderful Bumbley BOO!!!

Spike Milligan.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

If on 23:51 - Jul 22 with 1662 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If on 14:48 - Jul 22 by PunteR

Its not just on a QPR forum though is it.. its bloody all over the internet.
Sure we've murdered each other over differences of political views in the past but has it been so left/right wing.? I thought religion was the main course of wars anyhow..?
We're getting more and more divided as a country. Thats how i see it anyway. maybe its always been like it and i just haven't noticed.

Yeah it’s unpleasant, but the creation of the Keyboard Warrior means people are glassing each other in pubs less.
If on 23:59 - Jul 22 with 1656 viewsPunteR

If on 23:51 - Jul 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

Yeah it’s unpleasant, but the creation of the Keyboard Warrior means people are glassing each other in pubs less.

Every cloud i guess..

If on 00:23 - Jul 23 with 1636 viewsMyke

ah yes after reading though all this 'pretentious bollox' (and I'm not talking about the poetry) it's worth remembering it is indeed a Q.P.R. forum
If on 08:47 - Jul 23 with 1560 viewsHayesender

If on 12:26 - Jul 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

That's cause we've gone soft. Do you fancy meeting up for a duel to the death sir?

I'll get the beers in after

Poll: Shamima Beghum

If on 11:19 - Jul 23 with 1498 viewsTearsofrage

Whilst I admire Orwell as a major writer and influential figure in the literature and thought of the 20th Century, the context of this essay needs consideration. Orwell himself despised his role as a policeman in Burma upholding imperialist beliefs and yet unable to divorce himself from his "english" attitudes. Kipling certainly upholds the idea of Empire as a "good thing" but to label him simply as racist is absurd. "The White Man's Burden" was written in the context of the aftermath of the Spanish-American War. It urges the USA to go back on its criticism of Britain and other Imperial nations and take on the burden of "improving" the myriad cultures and languages of the "fluttered" people. Obnoxious as it may appear in hindsight from 2018 the notion that it was the duty of the "higher" (i.e European) nations to educate, to spread religion and to civilise races who were viewed as less developed was a nearly universally held one.The destruction of Roger Casement by the British govt during World war One was not simply a death for treason but because he was a perpetual embarassment with his views on imperialist exploitation. The obscenities of Belgian behaviour in the Congo are symptomatic of the blatant exploitation of mineral, or animal resources and native labour which took place as part of this. Other repulsive episodes are not hard to find but neither Kipling nor writers like Conrad (despite Chinua Achene's views) endorse these behaviours. The "WMB" invites America to do its bit but a poem like "The Sons of Martha"
`gets to the heart of Kipling - he praises those who work hard and scoffs at those who receive much and do little. His writing is full of admirable hard-workers of all races. I'd certainly go along with a description of him as prone to xenophobia about "little England" (See "The Mother Hive") but Gunga Din is "white pure white inside". "White" has little to do with the colour of one's skin,indicating that the water-carrier does his job conscientiously. Kipling's targets were the lazy and indolent: his heroes are the men and women who are faithful and hardworking - irrespective of creed or colour.
If on 12:16 - Jul 23 with 1464 viewsrobith

2 pages of this thread and no one has pointed out that the OP has called a poem "prose".

Cop on lads
If on 12:20 - Jul 23 with 1455 viewsrobith

Also, I can help but despair as I see the "anti-fascists are the real fascists" (because people don't like to face up to criticism of this country's violent and repressive past - colonialism was bad guys, deal with it), meanwhile, actual fascists are out marching on the street, gaining traction everywhere.

The exact same thing happened in Germany - the conservative and liberal establishments were terrified of the communists and enabled the far right and even put them in power.

They didn't like it that much once they were in charge. And I don't think you'll like them much eaither
If on 12:31 - Jul 23 with 1442 viewsrobith

If on 12:20 - Jul 23 by robith

Also, I can help but despair as I see the "anti-fascists are the real fascists" (because people don't like to face up to criticism of this country's violent and repressive past - colonialism was bad guys, deal with it), meanwhile, actual fascists are out marching on the street, gaining traction everywhere.

The exact same thing happened in Germany - the conservative and liberal establishments were terrified of the communists and enabled the far right and even put them in power.

They didn't like it that much once they were in charge. And I don't think you'll like them much eaither

I mean - this is stuff is in THE TIMES

If on 13:10 - Jul 23 with 1402 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If on 12:31 - Jul 23 by robith

I mean - this is stuff is in THE TIMES

'at least they get things done'

Horrendous apologist aside, that old chestnut is bullshit anyway. All four of them have massive social problems in their respective countries and Poverty unlike anything in Western Europe. Areas of Michigan and Puerto Rico in the worlds largest economy don't have running water and electricity.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2018 13:15]
If on 14:41 - Jul 23 with 1344 views18StoneOfHoop

If on 13:10 - Jul 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

'at least they get things done'

Horrendous apologist aside, that old chestnut is bullshit anyway. All four of them have massive social problems in their respective countries and Poverty unlike anything in Western Europe. Areas of Michigan and Puerto Rico in the worlds largest economy don't have running water and electricity.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2018 13:15]

"At least they got the trains to run on time."

Keep bashing away citizen Bazza!
The Timid Once proud Thunderer Times is a sad ghost of itself
Trying to stitch up and smear
the Grenfell Action Group peoples champion
and whistleblower
Joe Delaney, the dirty yellow press bounders and troglodytes.

https://grenfellactiongroup.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/times2.jpg?w=640&h=619 None of Gabriel Poundland's dirt-digging circumstantial accusations stuck or proved.
Can you hear the little Oskar and his tin drum?

Not a fascist at all just a woodhouse style harmless old Etonian fogey?
[Post edited 24 Jul 2018 3:04]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

If on 14:55 - Jul 23 with 1312 viewsFDC

If on 12:20 - Jul 23 by robith

It's nuts, things are getting properly dystopian. We're at the point where talking about the possible rise of the far right seems academic, they are very much here and have the upper hand at the moment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024