Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Birmingham - average age 12:45 - Aug 31 with 2173 viewsAntti_Heinola

So, took me a while. But, you know. This is a bit depressing. Ages and average age from a few short months ago when we beat Brum at home:

Lumley: 23
Furlong: 22
Bidwell: 25
Kakay: 20
Freeman: 26
Scowen: 25
Manning: 21
Chair: 20
BOS: 20
Eze: 19
Sylla: 27

Result: 3-1 to the Rs.
Oldest player: Sylla, 27.
Average age: 22.5

And ages of tomorrow's possible team:

Lumley: 23
Rangel: 35
Leistner: 28
Lynch: 30
Bidwell: 25
Eze: 20
Cameron: 33
Scowen: 25
Freeman: 26
Wells: 28
Hemed: 31

Oldest player: Rangel, 35
Average age: 27.6

Still not a terrible average age, but still. Quite sad to see the way this is going. McClaren fighting for his job and tearing up his remit in the process.

Bare bones.

Birmingham - average age on 12:49 - Aug 31 with 2139 viewsqprd

The average age point is a lot less depressing when you view the new guys as mere replacements for what we lost in the summer: Ned (31), Mackie (32), Perch (32) and Smithies (28).
Birmingham - average age on 12:49 - Aug 31 with 2135 viewsEsox_Lucius

Perhaps if the "fans" on social media were prepared to give him a bit of time and suffer a few losses along the way he wouldn't have felt the need. There were many who assured us, that no matter what, he would be useless as QPR manager. It looks like a case of "be careful what you wish for".

The grass is always greener.

Birmingham - average age on 13:25 - Aug 31 with 1991 viewsessextaxiboy

Birmingham - average age on 12:49 - Aug 31 by Esox_Lucius

Perhaps if the "fans" on social media were prepared to give him a bit of time and suffer a few losses along the way he wouldn't have felt the need. There were many who assured us, that no matter what, he would be useless as QPR manager. It looks like a case of "be careful what you wish for".

Do you think that if he had exactly the same results but no media pressure he would have persevered with the youth strategy that he was briefed with on joining ?
Birmingham - average age on 13:50 - Aug 31 with 1921 viewsterryb

But Antti, all I've read is that we are lacking experience!

I was happy with the appointment of McClaren as I thought he would be good for our youth players, but I don't think we have had less than 8 players on the pitch for any minute of a league game. All with over 150 league appearances as well.

I hope that Cameron is a far better player than I've seen playing for Stoke, but he will need to be if he is an improvement. Mind you, I've said the same about many others, including Hill, Derry & Helgusson, in the past!
Birmingham - average age on 13:57 - Aug 31 with 1888 views2Thomas2Bowles

Birmingham - average age on 13:25 - Aug 31 by essextaxiboy

Do you think that if he had exactly the same results but no media pressure he would have persevered with the youth strategy that he was briefed with on joining ?

You're not a real fan if you disagree with him

50 years! 50 years!

inverted commas, me arse
[Post edited 31 Aug 2018 14:03]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Birmingham - average age on 14:01 - Aug 31 with 1881 viewsbosh67

I think the new remit is

We don't give a sh*t if the average age is a 100 as long as we win.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Birmingham - average age on 14:03 - Aug 31 with 1862 viewsMaggsinho

Not disputing your central point but that Birmingham game was at the end of the season when we were experimenting and playing our youngsters, so a more instructive comparison would be to see what sort of team we put out towards the end of the season if/when we're safe.

Also Ranger is only in there because of Furlong's injury which skews the data.
Birmingham - average age on 14:06 - Aug 31 with 1843 viewsTheChef

Birmingham - average age on 13:50 - Aug 31 by terryb

But Antti, all I've read is that we are lacking experience!

I was happy with the appointment of McClaren as I thought he would be good for our youth players, but I don't think we have had less than 8 players on the pitch for any minute of a league game. All with over 150 league appearances as well.

I hope that Cameron is a far better player than I've seen playing for Stoke, but he will need to be if he is an improvement. Mind you, I've said the same about many others, including Hill, Derry & Helgusson, in the past!

We're not lacking experience.

We're lacking leadership and ability where it counts, i.e. stopping goals going in and scoring goals at the other end.

You'd hope the loan signing go some way to fixing that.

If not - never mind eh, there's a few new grounds to visit in League One.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Birmingham - average age on 16:15 - Aug 31 with 1602 viewsconnell10

I put a thread up regarding vthis earlier mate, yes it's very depressing!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Birmingham - average age on 16:34 - Aug 31 with 1556 viewsstevec

Exactly how low did you want the club to sink before you'd finally admit the 'remit' wasn't working?

The end of last season the clubs at the top end were out of sight, likewise the clubs at the bottom a small bunch cut off from the rest. As such, most of the League had gone on it's holidays, it's impossible to judge 'the yoof' in exhibition matches.

Judge them when you're losing, when you can't lay a tackle on the opposition, when you're going into 5 minutes added time and the oppo keep the ball for the entire 5 minutes as none of the youngsters have the physical strength to get the ball back.

We've spent seasons now losing more matches than we win, what is it that was so enjoyable about that, because I'm buggered if I can work it out.
Birmingham - average age on 16:35 - Aug 31 with 1552 viewstraininvain

It's not a like for like comparison- we were safe from relegation when we played Birmingham in April. This meant Holloway could experiment a little bit.

Have a look at the games up until March / April and you'll be hard pressed to find many with an average age of 22.5 years.
Birmingham - average age on 21:39 - Aug 31 with 1392 viewsJamesB1979

Birmingham - average age on 16:35 - Aug 31 by traininvain

It's not a like for like comparison- we were safe from relegation when we played Birmingham in April. This meant Holloway could experiment a little bit.

Have a look at the games up until March / April and you'll be hard pressed to find many with an average age of 22.5 years.

Completely agree. Bidwell and Furlong were centre backs...we had to play them that game, it wasn’t a big let’s give the youth a go.
Birmingham - average age on 22:08 - Aug 31 with 1346 viewsrsonist

I'd say while there's scope for concern potentially down the line, to make this much of a meal of it at this point is faintly ridiculous. As though we haven't had the start we've had...
Birmingham - average age on 23:34 - Aug 31 with 1249 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

You can build the greatest academies in the world and hire the greatest coaches but unless you have a reputation for putting faith in youngsters you’re not really going to be a attractive proposition for 14 year olds with the right attitude looking for a club I’d imagine.

I’d rather go down with a squad full of hungry youngsters than finish 21st with Dad’s Army and have to go through this all again next season with same set of inexperienced players.
Birmingham - average age on 10:53 - Sep 1 with 1039 viewsstevec

Birmingham - average age on 23:34 - Aug 31 by BazzaInTheLoft

You can build the greatest academies in the world and hire the greatest coaches but unless you have a reputation for putting faith in youngsters you’re not really going to be a attractive proposition for 14 year olds with the right attitude looking for a club I’d imagine.

I’d rather go down with a squad full of hungry youngsters than finish 21st with Dad’s Army and have to go through this all again next season with same set of inexperienced players.

Er, Chelsea, Man City. I could go on ..
Birmingham - average age on 11:59 - Sep 1 with 970 viewsPinnerPaul

'Depressing' ?????!!!!!! Really?????!!!!!!

AH - Compare average age of finishing 11 on Tuesday, with that of the previous round's team - it might cheer you up a bit!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024