Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB 11:57 - Apr 30 with 27759 viewshubble

For the denizens of this board the fate of WATRB is probably not much more than an afterthought. It has an interesting place in the Rangers' message board pantheon, catering for perhaps a different demographic than this one. It is generally looked down upon by the more highbrow message boards and politically it is summed up by the fact that it is (as far as I am aware) the only Rangers' board that is majority pro-Brexit.

It seemed to have its heyday several years back, but has persisted as one of a quartet of most popular QPR forums, the other three being this one, the ersatz QPRdot.org and not606. However, in recent times it has been riven by internecine strife, with whole threads dedicated to accusations and counter-accusations, much to the detriment of the board as a whole.

Things reached a head a few months back when two key members of the admin team left to form a rival message board that was free of the in-fighting that clogged WATRB. Having formed the new board they attempted to recruit posters from WATRB, resulting in a Stalinesque clampdown from the remaining admin, which included severe breaches of forum protocol, i.e. reading the private messages of board members. The private message function was subsequently removed all together and left remaining members in a kind of limbo, with the in-fighting and arguing continuing.

I was one of the members who was contacted by the new forum and moved over. In trying to contact a friend from WATRB by simply posting on the forum I was put on the naughty step ( pre-mod) and all my posts either criticising the handling of the whole debacle or trying to reach my friend were deleted.

What I find fascinating about all this and message boards in general are what they reveal about us, about tribalism, belonging, ideas of ownership and connection and loyalty. With larger clubs pretty much the only thing that binds the disparate members of football forums is their allegiance to a particular football team, to which most have no more connection that any other 'brand'. With smaller teams like ours, there is something more profound that binds most of us, a physical connection to the place itself, often through place of birth or strong family connections. At bottom it is about belonging, in a world that is increasingly globalised and empty of value. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been anthropological studies of fan message boards, but if there haven't, there should be.

Of course there are other issues at stake: for WATRB it's about income, footfall driving revenue, hence the desire to cling to its membership and fight off any interference. But the mistake is to alienate your core users in the first place. Where this board succeeds so admirably I think is in its inclusivity: it is by and large a broad and tolerant church. Exclusivity is not useful in a free-to-use forum that relies on numbers.

It's also fascinating to note how different each QPR board is (let alone forums in general) in their unique 'flavour'. This is partly due to how the board is administered, partly due to the look and feel of the board itself. Hiving off non-QPR related threads to sub-forums is attractive to some posters who want their QPR fix unadulterated, but for most, the open, anything goes style of this board is much more attractive. The original (and I think best) QPR forum, qpr.org, was an uncensored and completely open forum which had the benefit of being privately funded. Boards funded by advertising like this one (I think that's its key funding model, please correct me if I'm wrong Clive) and WATRB have to place certain restrictions on posters to avoid falling foul of the dreaded Google adwords bots that flag up things they don't like, such as swear words. These restrictions are fairly easily circumvented by members using asterisks for letters, or creative alternatives to standard expletives. Again, the very fact that this happens is interesting in itself. We are all slaves to the mighty Google and other mass media social media platform purveyors to some extent. Perhaps to a scary extent.

The splinter forum has a witty name if you've been a long-term follower of QPR message board wars: Rangers Fantasy Island. A name that seems apt when refugees from WATRB wash up on its shores. As a fledgling QPR forum it doesn't even register on Google unless searched by name directly. It will be interesting to see (from an anthropological perspective at least) what happens to the various QPR forums over the next few years, especially if the decline in the club's fortunes continues. On here at least there is much outside of QPR to continue to entertain its members.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 22:31 - Feb 22 with 4767 viewsAcidPixie

They we’re both total muppets
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 6:35]
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 22:43 - Feb 22 with 4714 viewsShotKneesHoop

This board is almost better than being there.

Same amount of fun, but less pain. A lot less expensive anyway.

Clive and most posters here are in another universe. The quality one. Not blind fanatical stuff but just positive quality informed comments.

And the podcast isn't bad either.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 00:14 - Feb 23 with 4627 viewstimcocking

Tolerant bunch? No matter what a person posts on here, somebody will always have a pop...
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 02:16 - Feb 23 with 4578 viewsacricketer

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 00:14 - Feb 23 by timcocking

Tolerant bunch? No matter what a person posts on here, somebody will always have a pop...

STFU!
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 10:51 - Feb 23 with 4378 viewsTGRRRSSS

Out of interest how many messqge boards are there now? I guess with facebook pages anmd Twitter etc many of the old ones have died a death as people only really use that.

Not sure if the Dot Org exists but it used to be pretty big.
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 18:54 - Feb 23 with 4217 viewsMarc

You can guarantee Jones will pop up at some point now you've mentioned him
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 19:05 - Feb 23 with 4192 viewsNorthernr

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 18:54 - Feb 23 by Marc

You can guarantee Jones will pop up at some point now you've mentioned him

He fcking won't. Not on here anyway.
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 20:40 - Feb 23 with 4040 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I miss this lad.

Demba Ba by SpiritofGregory 29 May 2012 22:59
Latest rumour is that we are set to offer £7m for Demba Ba. £7m will trigger the release clause in his contract.

It least it's a rumour I approve of, sick and tired of being linked to bums like Johnson and Jenas.

Also Hughes wants to sign De Jong - Arsenal are also interested in signing him.

Login to get fewer ads

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 22:07 - Feb 23 with 3965 viewsPunteR

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 20:40 - Feb 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

I miss this lad.

Latest rumour is that we are set to offer £7m for Demba Ba. £7m will trigger the release clause in his contract.

It least it's a rumour I approve of, sick and tired of being linked to bums like Johnson and Jenas.

Yeh me too. Simmo used to post some brilliant stuff.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 20:27 - Feb 24 with 3700 viewsMarc

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 19:05 - Feb 23 by Northernr

He fcking won't. Not on here anyway.

Good to hear it
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 20:28 - Feb 24 with 3695 viewsMarc

I miss this lad.

Who is it? What's the story?
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 22:04 - Feb 24 with 3579 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 20:28 - Feb 24 by Marc

Who is it? What's the story?

Spirit of Gregory was a beacon of optimism and truth that Clive cruelly banished because he had about 15 identities and claimed his sister hacked his account or something.
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 22:16 - Feb 24 with 3553 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Who really knows.

I post on here as BrianMcCarthy, nix, and NedKennedy.
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 04:34 - Feb 25 with 3451 viewsFredManRave

I miss this lad.

I (genuinely) miss 1BobbyHazel to name but 1.

A very erudite poster.

And BrixtonR. Possibly related to XTC and just as informative.

And my thoughts are often with Hoop_Du_Jour

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 08:29 - Feb 25 with 3392 viewsNortholt_Rs

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 10:51 - Feb 23 by TGRRRSSS

Out of interest how many messqge boards are there now? I guess with facebook pages anmd Twitter etc many of the old ones have died a death as people only really use that.

Not sure if the Dot Org exists but it used to be pretty big.

Yes DotOrg is still going but very few posters on that site these days.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 09:49 - Feb 25 with 3330 viewshubble

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 08:29 - Feb 25 by Northolt_Rs

Yes DotOrg is still going but very few posters on that site these days.

The original dotorg has gone, BattleTank took it down about a year ago. The usurper site dotdotorg still exists, as far as I know.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 09:53 - Feb 25 with 3323 viewssmegma

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 09:49 - Feb 25 by hubble

The original dotorg has gone, BattleTank took it down about a year ago. The usurper site dotdotorg still exists, as far as I know.

dot dot org are splitters, I prefer dotdotdotorgorg
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 10:56 - Feb 25 with 3273 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 09:53 - Feb 25 by smegma

dot dot org are splitters, I prefer dotdotdotorgorg

or morsecode.org
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 16:44 - Feb 25 with 3165 viewsMarc

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 04:34 - Feb 25 by FredManRave

I (genuinely) miss 1BobbyHazel to name but 1.

A very erudite poster.

And BrixtonR. Possibly related to XTC and just as informative.

And my thoughts are often with Hoop_Du_Jour

Is HDJ no longer with us?
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 00:07 - Jan 27 with 2488 viewsDaveQPR76

There's a twitter investigation currently ongoing on QPRPete, check out @MathewForth

Please feel free to join to share any information you have.

Dave
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 09:37 - Jan 27 with 2216 viewsTheChef

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 00:07 - Jan 27 by DaveQPR76

There's a twitter investigation currently ongoing on QPRPete, check out @MathewForth

Please feel free to join to share any information you have.

Dave

What's he supposed to have done?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 18:56 - Jan 27 with 2308 viewsDaveQPR76

Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 09:37 - Jan 27 by TheChef

What's he supposed to have done?

He now runs a grubby subscription horse tipping service and was caught fraudulently using a false donation to a cancer charity to promote his service.

[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 18:59]
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 19:12 - Jan 27 with 2254 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

All of this took place before I really started posting, but I had an odd experience on a train back from Doncaster or somewhere during that time before I posted on here.

Train was rammed and a group of about six of us were half pissed and standing in the concourse and giving Paliadini a bit of a slagging but between ourselves and this young lad kept butting in from the table. I’d describe him as young (at the time), pale, a bit of a chubbster, and quite effeminate.

Anyway he kept defending Palliadini and kept alluding to being in the know and countering every criticism with ‘trust me, you don’t know why you are talking about’ and kept talking like he was really involved with GP and the goings on but without going into any detail. It started getting more heated and loud and the whole train was enthralled and it got into a bit of a slanging match, this young Russell Grant got off at his station (Peterborough or Stevenage or somewhere) and as he got off he must have said something to one of the coppers on board because I ended up getting a bollocking from this copper and threatened with a nick if I keep bothering random passengers, which I wasn’t.

Have never seen this lad prior or since but he was so keen to defend GP he really felt like a plant of some kind.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 21:09]
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 07:14 - Jan 28 with 1777 viewsjoe90

My first foray into the world of QPR forums was via WATRB. Every time I'd go on it after a game my now wife would take the piss by singing the cheeky girls song 'we are the cheeky girls' replacing cheeky girls with Rangers Boys.

I wasn't around for the toxic period but thought there were some decent posters on there. It was definitely a lot more 'emotional'. I didn't get the impression it was a pro Brexit forum, I could see perhaps if you took a superficial look you might get that impression, but around the time of the referendum there was serious debate going on, it definitely wasn't one sided.

Another forum I like is the QPR report. It's got a great section on the history of QPR. It seems like there are only two posters on there!

This is a great forum and the most enjoyable place to discuss QPR. Good range of views that are generally well expressed. Clive - you're doing a great job with all the match previews and reports, it's been an absolute godsend since last March.
Board wars: the slow implosion of WATRB on 17:09 - Jan 28 with 1512 viewsTGRRRSSS

I think QPR report lived in America and posted on here back in the day or wherever we were, probably the Rivals board as it was.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024