Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Freeman to the blades 14:32 - Jun 21 with 38002 viewsGloucs_R

For just £4m???

Surely we'd not let him go that cheaply

Poll: Are we staying up?

Freeman to the blades on 17:23 - Jun 21 with 3673 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Freeman to the blades on 16:55 - Jun 21 by QPR_John

Owners cannot put money in because of FFP
The club does not generate enough income from LR
The club have to sell at the first offer "because we're skint"

Future does not look very bright does it
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 16:57]

But if and it is only if we sell him at that price minus any sell on clause Bristol may or may not have and is that figure really going to plug the financial chasm that we find ourselves in. Probably not. So we might as well keep hold because all it would do is weaken us hugely and not make one jot of difference in balancing the books.
Freeman to the blades on 17:26 - Jun 21 with 3660 viewsDejR_vu

Freeman to the blades on 17:14 - Jun 21 by Antti_Heinola

We made a decent profit on Smithies, and it just seems everyone else in the world rates him far less than we all do!
As far as selling, if only one club comes in, there's not a lot we can do. I'd brace for #4m, but I hope we might get an extra mill on top of that, which would be 10 times what we paid for him and really is about right if we're honest.
Plus, it will be undisclosed, so we'll all get upset about something we're not actually sure about.

I don’t think £4-5m for a player of his age, with his stats, carrying a team for two seasons is anywhere near enough, particularly if he’s signed by a Premier League team that’s about to bank £150m. If he was playing for Brentford they’d probably get £12-15m for him. But, I think you’re right in that we’ll end up with about £4m. But, it is only a rumour at this stage, so hopefully it’s just an opening bid.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Freeman to the blades on 17:33 - Jun 21 with 3642 viewsDejR_vu

Freeman to the blades on 17:23 - Jun 21 by dodge_stoke_r

But if and it is only if we sell him at that price minus any sell on clause Bristol may or may not have and is that figure really going to plug the financial chasm that we find ourselves in. Probably not. So we might as well keep hold because all it would do is weaken us hugely and not make one jot of difference in balancing the books.

The reality is we have to sell to comply with P&S rules. The problem is, if we have to sell so low it means we have to sell more than one. The problem then is if you have to raise, say, £10m a season, then you have to produce two £10m+ players every season, so that we can sell them for £5m each. Totally unsustainable.

Freeman to the blades on 17:42 - Jun 21 with 3597 viewsQPR_John

Freeman to the blades on 17:23 - Jun 21 by dodge_stoke_r

Exactly
Freeman to the blades on 17:44 - Jun 21 with 3584 viewsQPR_John

Freeman to the blades on 17:33 - Jun 21 by DejR_vu

The reality is we have to sell to comply with P&S rules. The problem is, if we have to sell so low it means we have to sell more than one. The problem then is if you have to raise, say, £10m a season, then you have to produce two £10m+ players every season, so that we can sell them for £5m each. Totally unsustainable.

The point I was making in my earlier post
Freeman to the blades on 18:00 - Jun 21 with 3526 viewsWadR

Although interest from other clubs would help, there's no reason why the club should settle for £4m.

He's under a recently signed contract, ostensibly happy at the club and coming off the back of 2 and a half generally excellent seasons. It's almost 2 months until the window closes, I'd hope and expect, the club will look to negotiate a much better deal.

Not sure a low release clause is that plausible either. Considering the club rejected £4m~ bids from Boro and Blackburn last season, surely even QPR wouldn't be stupid enough to offer a contract extenstion (and thus a wage rise) that would allow Freeman to move for an amount they deemed too low just months previously?

Thought the whole point of the Freeman contract was it was mutually beneficial - Freeman's excellent performances get recognition with a payrise and it allows QPR to obtain a higher fee for him when he inevitably moves on?
Freeman to the blades on 18:20 - Jun 21 with 3460 viewsPunteR

Freeman to the blades on 17:33 - Jun 21 by DejR_vu

This totally.
We are never going to get a player much better the Freeman while we are where we are, languishing in bottom half fighting relegation every season.
We need to be a top half team to start commanding better rates for our players it seems and thats the conundrum because we need players like Freeman to get there.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Freeman to the blades on 18:23 - Jun 21 with 3447 viewsPunteR

Freeman to the blades on 18:00 - Jun 21 by WadR

Although interest from other clubs would help, there's no reason why the club should settle for £4m.

He's under a recently signed contract, ostensibly happy at the club and coming off the back of 2 and a half generally excellent seasons. It's almost 2 months until the window closes, I'd hope and expect, the club will look to negotiate a much better deal.

Not sure a low release clause is that plausible either. Considering the club rejected £4m~ bids from Boro and Blackburn last season, surely even QPR wouldn't be stupid enough to offer a contract extenstion (and thus a wage rise) that would allow Freeman to move for an amount they deemed too low just months previously?

Thought the whole point of the Freeman contract was it was mutually beneficial - Freeman's excellent performances get recognition with a payrise and it allows QPR to obtain a higher fee for him when he inevitably moves on?

I would give Freeman a pay rise in a blink of an eye. He shouldnt even be on the market.

Login to get fewer ads

Freeman to the blades on 18:34 - Jun 21 with 3400 viewsPunteR

We made a decent profit on Smithies, and it just seems everyone else in the world rates him far less than we all do!
As far as selling, if only one club comes in, there's not a lot we can do. I'd brace for #4m, but I hope we might get an extra mill on top of that, which would be 10 times what we paid for him and really is about right if we're honest.
Plus, it will be undisclosed, so we'll all get upset about something we're not actually sure about.

You have to question whats really going on in football when you have Smithies sitting on the bench in the prem. We all saw how good he was. Us fans know a good player when we see one. He is one of the best keepers we've seen at Loftus rd and we've seen some high profile keepers.
You keep your best players. Simple as that. This is what happens when you let the accounts department run the club.

Freeman to the blades on 18:53 - Jun 21 with 3347 viewsDejR_vu

Freeman to the blades on 18:20 - Jun 21 by PunteR

This totally.
We are never going to get a player much better the Freeman while we are where we are, languishing in bottom half fighting relegation every season.
We need to be a top half team to start commanding better rates for our players it seems and thats the conundrum because we need players like Freeman to get there.

I don't think the problem is so much league position, rather the fact that we have to sell and everyone knows it.

Without wishing to blow too much smoke up Brentford's @rse, they really do highlight how badly we are managed. They suffer from all of the issues that we do in that they have a small (smaller than ours) old (at the moment) stadium, with little scope to generate non-matchday revenue, low attendances (lower than ours I think), within five miles of us (so overheads should be similarish). But we have higher ticket prices, I think, and have had years of Prem money / Parachute payments pulling in multi-millions. And yet they've pulled in about £45m in transfer fees over the last two years, and all we've done is given Smithies away and made some money on Chery. The difference is, I think, they don't have to sell, so can say no. We do have to sell, so can't say no. And the reason that we have to sell seems to be that we're still doing what we did in the Premier League, just on a smaller scale. We're still paying too much, for poor players, and paying them too much money. So we have players not wanting to go anywhere else because they won't get paid as much, so they leave at the end of their contracts for nothing. So we run out of money because we've wasted it on transfer fees that we don't recover, and high wages, so when we do stumble on someone decent, we have to let them go for whatever we can get for them, because we need the money to fill the financial hole.

Anyway, perhaps Freeman's going to break the cycle and end up pulling us in £10m+.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 19:20]

Freeman to the blades on 19:19 - Jun 21 with 3260 viewsPunteR

Freeman to the blades on 18:53 - Jun 21 by DejR_vu

I don't think the problem is so much league position, rather the fact that we have to sell and everyone knows it.

Without wishing to blow too much smoke up Brentford's @rse, they really do highlight how badly we are managed. They suffer from all of the issues that we do in that they have a small (smaller than ours) old (at the moment) stadium, with little scope to generate non-matchday revenue, low attendances (lower than ours I think), within five miles of us (so overheads should be similarish). But we have higher ticket prices, I think, and have had years of Prem money / Parachute payments pulling in multi-millions. And yet they've pulled in about £45m in transfer fees over the last two years, and all we've done is given Smithies away and made some money on Chery. The difference is, I think, they don't have to sell, so can say no. We do have to sell, so can't say no. And the reason that we have to sell seems to be that we're still doing what we did in the Premier League, just on a smaller scale. We're still paying too much, for poor players, and paying them too much money. So we have players not wanting to go anywhere else because they won't get paid as much, so they leave at the end of their contracts for nothing. So we run out of money because we've wasted it on transfer fees that we don't recover, and high wages, so when we do stumble on someone decent, we have to let them go for whatever we can get for them, because we need the money to fill the financial hole.

Anyway, perhaps Freeman's going to break the cycle and end up pulling us in £10m+.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2019 19:20]

I think your spot on.

Freeman to the blades on 21:51 - Jun 21 with 2987 viewsqpr1976

As much as it pains me, £4m on whom we paid £300k ish, with 3 years service added (he did as much as anyone keeping us up !) is pretty good business. Other than the odd freak transfer, to comnand bids of £7,8,10m he’d have to be at least 5 years younger IMO.
We need a 2nd bid, to up the price but to be fair I’d have taken £4.5m last year and would still.
You’d have to hope that Eze can step into his shoes....if the new boss rates him.....
Freeman to the blades on 22:16 - Jun 21 with 2941 viewsMistication92

No one's mentioned the likely possibility that Bristol City will have inserted a sell-on clause in that 500k transfer. I'd imagine 15-25% of the next fee.
Freeman to the blades on 23:57 - Jun 21 with 2776 viewsAntti_Heinola

Freeman to the blades on 22:16 - Jun 21 by Mistication92

No one's mentioned the likely possibility that Bristol City will have inserted a sell-on clause in that 500k transfer. I'd imagine 15-25% of the next fee.

unlikely. he was out of contract in a few months, wasn't in their team, and wasn't about to sign a new deal. Bristol either sold o us then for the small fee, or zilch 4 months later. They were in no position to negotiate - 5% maybe. 25%? No chance.

Bare bones.

Freeman to the blades on 07:21 - Jun 22 with 2555 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Freeman to the blades on 23:57 - Jun 21 by Antti_Heinola

unlikely. he was out of contract in a few months, wasn't in their team, and wasn't about to sign a new deal. Bristol either sold o us then for the small fee, or zilch 4 months later. They were in no position to negotiate - 5% maybe. 25%? No chance.

I never understood that. Who in Bristol's team was keeping him out?
Freeman to the blades on 07:32 - Jun 22 with 2524 viewsGloucs_R

Freeman to the blades on 07:21 - Jun 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

I never understood that. Who in Bristol's team was keeping him out?

I seen to recall that he didn't suit their system

Poll: Are we staying up?

Freeman to the blades on 07:52 - Jun 22 with 2502 viewsqprd

Freeman to the blades on 22:16 - Jun 21 by Mistication92

literally zero chance of a material sell on fee

You insert a sell on clause when you’re selling a young prospect to a bigger club when the player wants to leave (ie raheem sterling)

Freeman was somewhat middling player out of the Bristol squad who was 25. Clearly Bristol didn’t rate freeman that highly of they were willing to sell him for 300k. Wouldn’t they prefer upfront cash rather than a sell on contingent feee for a player they clearly didn’t rate that highly?

As for the break clause: someone said it above, but why would qpr insert a release clause at a value below what Blackburn offered for him last year?

Not to mention, if there was a break clause, he’d already be gone If Blades met the number
Freeman to the blades on 08:38 - Jun 22 with 2398 viewsDorse

If he does go for £4m, it does appear that the management haven't yet got around to removing the Joorabchian - McKay Patented Automatic Combination Pants-Lowering / Gob-Bumming Device from the office.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Freeman to the blades on 08:59 - Jun 22 with 2361 viewsblacky2013

I think the problem here is that although he is our best player by a stretch that supporters value him to what he is worth to us and not what he is worth in the market. Any prem club signing him is taking a risk that he can make the big step up to the prem. I think it is widely reported that he has a clause in his contract and if he hadn't signed a new contract he would of gone for that price last year. I do get a big sick of supporters slagging off Hoos for selling our players on the cheap. If one club comes in and meets the release clause then, unless another club comes in with a higher offer, we have to sell. He wouldn't of signed a new contract without the clause so we got another year of him playing for us and a fee that is likely to be far higher than we paid for him.
Freeman to the blades on 10:11 - Jun 22 with 2218 viewskernowhoop

Freeman to the blades on 08:59 - Jun 22 by blacky2013

I think the problem here is that although he is our best player by a stretch that supporters value him to what he is worth to us and not what he is worth in the market. Any prem club signing him is taking a risk that he can make the big step up to the prem. I think it is widely reported that he has a clause in his contract and if he hadn't signed a new contract he would of gone for that price last year. I do get a big sick of supporters slagging off Hoos for selling our players on the cheap. If one club comes in and meets the release clause then, unless another club comes in with a higher offer, we have to sell. He wouldn't of signed a new contract without the clause so we got another year of him playing for us and a fee that is likely to be far higher than we paid for him.

Just so. He is not worth what we say he is worth, he is worth what another club will pay for him. Unless and until there are competing bidders, £4m sounds about right. It will not be nice to see him go, but, the club's financial situation has to be addressed.
Freeman to the blades on 10:15 - Jun 22 with 2208 viewsPunteR

Freeman to the blades on 08:59 - Jun 22 by blacky2013

How is it good business to sell something thats worth more to us than to another team?

Freeman to the blades on 10:50 - Jun 22 with 2155 viewsfrancisbowles

Freeman to the blades on 10:15 - Jun 22 by PunteR

How is it good business to sell something thats worth more to us than to another team?

If he has a release clause then it is outside the club's control, he makes the decision.
Freeman to the blades on 11:06 - Jun 22 with 2124 viewsDorse

Freeman to the blades on 10:50 - Jun 22 by francisbowles

If he has a release clause then it is outside the club's control, he makes the decision.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Freeman to the blades on 11:18 - Jun 22 with 2095 viewsjonno

Freeman to the blades on 18:00 - Jun 21 by WadR

I would say that these days there will certainly be a release clause in any new contract he has signed, his agent would have made sure of that. The players (and their agents) have all the power nowadays unfortunately. What the amount required to trigger the release is anybody's guess, but don't be surprised if it is as low as £4m.
Freeman to the blades on 11:51 - Jun 22 with 2021 viewstimcocking

If he wants to go, we have to let him go.

Best of luck Luke, you've been superb for us, much appreciated and you've earned your opportunity.

Terrible value for us if it's 4 mil, though. Rock bottom. As always with QPR.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2019 11:52]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024