Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A day that will live in infamy 20:50 - Jul 21 with 28205 viewscolinallcars

So, it looks like Boris Johnson will be named as next PM tomorrow. This country has hit rock bottom. If you think Theresa May was the worst, then think again.
A day that will live in infamy on 12:56 - Jul 23 with 1914 viewseasthertsr

A day that will live in infamy on 12:12 - Jul 23 by Clive_Anderson

I've no idea why you think I'm trying to ban free speech.

I'm not saying you are just asking the question. Why can't people say they don't like what governments or politicians do? Our history is littered with appalling acts undertaken on the countries behalf. It also has acts of extreme kindness and bravery. Not to acknowledge both is burying your head in the sand.
A day that will live in infamy on 12:57 - Jul 23 with 1908 viewsFDC

Even though it's been coming for some time, it is still quite surreal. The ascension of this racist clown to PM feels like the culmination and final death rattle of the present political establishment.

EDIT. I've been quite calm about it up until now because my assumption has been that he'll be gone by the end of the year. But it's still a profoundly depressing page in our history.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 12:59]
A day that will live in infamy on 13:01 - Jul 23 with 1877 viewsqpr1976

The demise of politics & democracy as we know it started 3 years ago, the day after the referendum. This is just the next logical step.....If nothing else, at least the next few months will be funny.
A day that will live in infamy on 13:01 - Jul 23 with 1874 viewseasthertsr

On Boris, I love the description that he is a 'can do' politician. Can his supporters please supply us with a list of what he has done over the course of his lengthy career. Because I'm struggling to think of anything that hasn't been a negative.
A day that will live in infamy on 13:18 - Jul 23 with 1822 viewsRs_Holy

A day that will live in infamy on 13:01 - Jul 23 by easthertsr

On Boris, I love the description that he is a 'can do' politician. Can his supporters please supply us with a list of what he has done over the course of his lengthy career. Because I'm struggling to think of anything that hasn't been a negative.

can't even claim the Boris Bike really because it was Red Ken's idea.
A day that will live in infamy on 13:24 - Jul 23 with 1780 viewsCamberleyR

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/24/boris-johnson-prime-minist

Pretty damning summation by his ex-boss at the Torygraph.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

A day that will live in infamy on 13:28 - Jul 23 with 1754 viewsTacticalR

I found that comment from stevec quite illuminating, as at least it gives those of us who aren't admirers of Johnson an idea of what those who are admirers of Johnson see in him.

Air hostess clique

A day that will live in infamy on 13:29 - Jul 23 with 1743 viewskensalriser

My considered analysis concludes that Johnson is an absolutely massive bellend.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

A day that will live in infamy on 13:43 - Jul 23 with 1685 viewsClive_Anderson

Boris isn't everyone's cup of tea, but there's a bit of hysteria to this reaction isn't there? I can't quite think of what he's done to attract this level of hatred.

Not long ago Jeremy Hunt was the no.1 most hated Tory when in charge of the NHS I seem to remember, but apparently everyone is cool with him now. Probably because Hunt was never going to win the contest....if he was then people on here would be writing exactly the same stuff about him instead.
A day that will live in infamy on 13:50 - Jul 23 with 1652 viewsDorse

It wasn't a surprise and yet I am still surprised by the idea that Boris is PM. Perhaps that's his secret: each surprise is more surprising than the last.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

A day that will live in infamy on 14:01 - Jul 23 with 1604 viewsDannytheR

Well, he can did £43m of public money on the Garden Bridge.
A day that will live in infamy on 14:14 - Jul 23 with 1577 viewsdistortR

A day that will live in infamy on 14:01 - Jul 23 by DannytheR

Well, he can did £43m of public money on the Garden Bridge.

The cost to the people of government vanity projects is disgraceful.

Even when they don't go ahead, the consultants fees are astronomical.

See it over here all the time, the whiff of corruption drifting around.
A day that will live in infamy on 14:17 - Jul 23 with 1567 viewsWokingR

A day that will live in infamy on 13:43 - Jul 23 by Clive_Anderson

Boris isn't everyone's cup of tea, but there's a bit of hysteria to this reaction isn't there? I can't quite think of what he's done to attract this level of hatred.

Not long ago Jeremy Hunt was the no.1 most hated Tory when in charge of the NHS I seem to remember, but apparently everyone is cool with him now. Probably because Hunt was never going to win the contest....if he was then people on here would be writing exactly the same stuff about him instead.

No, it's because he was an entreprenuer, in case you hadn't realised.
A day that will live in infamy on 14:24 - Jul 23 with 1551 viewsbaldyoldgit

A day that will live in infamy on 09:03 - Jul 22 by colinallcars

With support for Corbyn supposedly weakening, Johnson will probably call an early election saying it's “ in the interests of democracy “

if Johnson calls an early election or faces a no confidence vote and we go to a general election what will the tories put in their manifesto assuming EU have said no renegotiating?
Labour too for that matter. LIbDems will offer a ref, UKIP2.0 Ltd will advocate WTO no deal so that gives all the ardent leave/remain voters someone to vote for. If Boris goes for no deal they win back some UKIP2.0 voters but lose centrists remainers and he offers another ref all the leaver wingnuts will carry on voting for fartrage. Same goes for Corbyn too. He puts current position in a manifesto and they'll be lucky to finish 4th. I reckon they'll both offer a referendum to try and save their parties.
A day that will live in infamy on 14:34 - Jul 23 with 1501 viewsClive_Anderson

A day that will live in infamy on 14:24 - Jul 23 by baldyoldgit

if Johnson calls an early election or faces a no confidence vote and we go to a general election what will the tories put in their manifesto assuming EU have said no renegotiating?
Labour too for that matter. LIbDems will offer a ref, UKIP2.0 Ltd will advocate WTO no deal so that gives all the ardent leave/remain voters someone to vote for. If Boris goes for no deal they win back some UKIP2.0 voters but lose centrists remainers and he offers another ref all the leaver wingnuts will carry on voting for fartrage. Same goes for Corbyn too. He puts current position in a manifesto and they'll be lucky to finish 4th. I reckon they'll both offer a referendum to try and save their parties.

I don't think Boris will go for no deal exit in October as he promised.

He might go for an extension to get things in order for no deal later or perhaps a referendum if he is feeling particularly indecisive.
A day that will live in infamy on 14:40 - Jul 23 with 1467 viewsderbyhoop

A day that will live in infamy on 10:10 - Jul 23 by essextaxiboy

I get that . That's why I selected Derbyhoops paragraph on 35000 daily crossings . I took those to mean nontrade crossings by individuals . .

35,000 was individuals. And would be covered by the CTA. The CTA works with UK and Ireland having the same or very similar rules. Not guaranteed in a post Brexit world. Incidentally, the CTA was suspended from 1939-52.
And it works, provided the individuals.weren't held up by all the trade traffic trying to cross at the same place. Could be a problem on the M1 between Dundalk and Newry and Donegal-Derry. Bit of a problem for the head teacher at a Derry school, who lives in Donegal.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

A day that will live in infamy on 14:46 - Jul 23 with 1449 viewsqpr1976

Another Referendum will remove any remaining trust in democracy. What if Remain wins ? Best of 3, best of 5, best of 19 ?
Then Every General Election will go the same way if those voting for the losers get the hump and demand another vote.....
A day that will live in infamy on 14:46 - Jul 23 with 1444 viewsbaldyoldgit

A day that will live in infamy on 12:21 - Jul 22 by FDC

Just to add to this:

If the Labour leadership are really going to make a go of this, they need to be far less timid, vis-a-vis both internal battles and with the media. If you look at the polling post-Panorama for example, they haven't really moved from around 25-28% (YouGov aside, natch). This appears to be the hardcore, absolute rock-bottom for both the Tories and Labour. At this point there is little to be lost in calling out the absolutely atrocious misrepresentations and bias in the establishment press - yes there will be backlash, but it is a necessary battle for where they want to go. At this stage there is little point trying to build consensus with the likes of Tom Watson internally, and with Laura Kuntychops and the rest at the BBC. Lets have the battle.

To preempt: the comparison with not taking a decisive position on Brexit is invalid, since attempting to build consensus between remainers and leavers was the correct thing to do, but was unfortunately scuppered by ultras on both sides.

EDIT: This, for example, from Rafael Behr -- who has pretty much got everything wrong for the best part of three years now and yet remains one of the Guardian's go-to-commentators -- is categorically incorrect. It's just factually not true. John McD should be calling him a cvnt all over the place and making an example of him imo.

The idea that Rafael Behr has some insight into the Labour activist base is laughable.

[Post edited 22 Jul 2019 12:29]

really? The two things I've seen him on, this clip and the one on the BBC panel show he's been absolutely spot on about brexit and then labour and brexit. Not arsed if it upsets you but he's describing me and loads of people I know who traditionally vote labour perfectly. excited when he came to be leader about the stuff he wanted to try and do but his lexit fudge has sent me packing. I voted Labour in every election since I turned 18 but ended up not voting at all in the last local elections. Unless Labour manifesto explicitly states there will be another ref or he'll revoke A50 I won't vote Labour again. I suspect I won't be alone.
A day that will live in infamy on 14:52 - Jul 23 with 1416 viewsbaldyoldgit

A day that will live in infamy on 14:46 - Jul 23 by qpr1976

Another Referendum will remove any remaining trust in democracy. What if Remain wins ? Best of 3, best of 5, best of 19 ?
Then Every General Election will go the same way if those voting for the losers get the hump and demand another vote.....

pretty sure remove the 'trust in democracy' will only be experienced by leavers IF they then lose. Remainers already feel democracy has been abolished by the gerrymandering, lies and dark money involved in the last one. You could almost just as easily say that if we have another ref and remain wins a majority then democracy will have actually been restored.
A day that will live in infamy on 14:54 - Jul 23 with 1405 viewsClive_Anderson

A day that will live in infamy on 14:46 - Jul 23 by baldyoldgit

really? The two things I've seen him on, this clip and the one on the BBC panel show he's been absolutely spot on about brexit and then labour and brexit. Not arsed if it upsets you but he's describing me and loads of people I know who traditionally vote labour perfectly. excited when he came to be leader about the stuff he wanted to try and do but his lexit fudge has sent me packing. I voted Labour in every election since I turned 18 but ended up not voting at all in the last local elections. Unless Labour manifesto explicitly states there will be another ref or he'll revoke A50 I won't vote Labour again. I suspect I won't be alone.

But there's quite a few Labour supporters who voted for Brexit, particularly in white working class areas.

If they promise a referendum and then the Tories do a deal with the Brexit party for an election on a no deal platform then Labour will be screwed in their Northern seats.
A day that will live in infamy on 15:07 - Jul 23 with 1372 viewsbaldyoldgit

A day that will live in infamy on 14:54 - Jul 23 by Clive_Anderson

But there's quite a few Labour supporters who voted for Brexit, particularly in white working class areas.

If they promise a referendum and then the Tories do a deal with the Brexit party for an election on a no deal platform then Labour will be screwed in their Northern seats.

agreed and hence labour's problem. the judgement is which is the lesser of two evils and, in my opinion, labour are trying to not pick either but will end up picking both. my mate is a leaver and life-ling labour voter and I'm a remainer and a life-long labour voter. If the election was tomorrow he'd vote UKIP2.0 ltd and I'd, painfully, vote Lib Dem (or maybe green if it made sense tactically).

Tory party face much the same problem if they push for no deal.
A day that will live in infamy on 15:14 - Jul 23 with 1343 viewsNed_Kennedys

A day that will live in infamy on 14:52 - Jul 23 by baldyoldgit

pretty sure remove the 'trust in democracy' will only be experienced by leavers IF they then lose. Remainers already feel democracy has been abolished by the gerrymandering, lies and dark money involved in the last one. You could almost just as easily say that if we have another ref and remain wins a majority then democracy will have actually been restored.

what a load of rubbish. Democracy restored if YOU get the result you want?
A day that will live in infamy on 15:20 - Jul 23 with 1317 viewsbaldyoldgit

A day that will live in infamy on 15:14 - Jul 23 by Ned_Kennedys

what a load of rubbish. Democracy restored if YOU get the result you want?

exactly. well done.
A day that will live in infamy on 15:22 - Jul 23 with 1307 viewsngbqpr

A day that will live in infamy on 13:43 - Jul 23 by Clive_Anderson

He lies. A lot.

He's racist.

That could be just a couple of the reasons his ascending to the highest position in the land hasn't gone down too well with everyone.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

A day that will live in infamy on 15:23 - Jul 23 with 1302 viewsNed_Kennedys

A day that will live in infamy on 15:20 - Jul 23 by baldyoldgit

exactly. well done.

Let's hope you remain disappointed then.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024