Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? 09:55 - Sep 25 with 29299 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

The teen has polarised many with her passionate speeches about climate change. Sincere teenage fear about her planet's future, or scaremongering rhetoric that is being bankrolled by some organisation(s) from the shadows?
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 19:41 - Sep 25 with 2857 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 16:01 - Sep 25 by loftboy

She’s wasting her breath unless china, USA , Russia and India come on board, I actually think the UK is trying to address this, I’m all for wind farms. Solar panels and trying to harvest some hyrdro power from our surrounding seas.
I heard the other day not sure if it’s true but China produce more CO2 per hour than the uk ha let produced in its history. You have Brazilian bandits burning the amazon I’m not sure they’ll listen to a teenager. I’m a little bit sick of the uk trying to police the world, some of these countries need to step up themselves.

China is the leading producer and consumer of green technology and is shutting down coal mines almost as fast as we’re shutting down hospitals and libraries .

Still the largest polluter mind, but won’t be soon.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 19:45]
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:08 - Sep 25 with 2829 viewsFDC

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 19:41 - Sep 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

China is the leading producer and consumer of green technology and is shutting down coal mines almost as fast as we’re shutting down hospitals and libraries .

Another factor is that countries like the UK import everything from countries like China, so we essentially outsource a lot of our carbon emission production.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:38 - Sep 25 with 2809 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:08 - Sep 25 by FDC

Another factor is that countries like the UK import everything from countries like China, so we essentially outsource a lot of our carbon emission production.

Exactly.

I’m not trying to paint China as an eco super power, because they main reason they are shutting down coal fuelled plants is because it’s literally killing millions of people with smog.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2019 23:48]
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:50 - Sep 25 with 2798 viewskernowhoop

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:30 - Sep 25 by Antti_Heinola

I think there's a few things here.

1. Everything she says is correct.
2. Someone was needed to break through - it doesn't matter if it's a 16 year old or an 85 year old. The fact she has made world leaders listen is pretty miraculous, regardless of how it was done.
3. But I do worry about the pressure being put on her - I hope she can deal with it. It's an awful lot on a young set of shoulders, regardless of the support she has.
4. The way she has been attacked by sections of the right is nothing short of shameful.

But, she is not 'correct ' in everything that she says (e.g. she says that she can see carbon dioxide) and she is increasing alarm and anxiety among other young people. Her parents (an actor and a singer, I believe) should not have pushed a 16 year old (autistic?) child into that position. It amounts almost to child abuse.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:54 - Sep 25 with 2786 viewsGloucs_R

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:28 - Sep 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

She has Aspergers.

I didn't know that until yesterday and my opinion had softened.

We need to act upon climate change now.
She is helping to highlight that to the world.
For that she should be applauded

I think she's being exploited though and worry about her future mental health. The anxiety and stress she's put under is way too much for a 16 year old kid. At that age most of us were getting pished in the park and trying to snog someone.

Whatever happens, the world will be a very different place for my future grandchildren

Poll: Are we staying up?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 23:04 - Sep 25 with 2697 viewsGaryT

Bit of a long rant so apologies in advance...

Trade is at the root of everything. It didn't matter that the USA had joined the war against the Nazi's, that wasn't going to get in the way of trade between the two nations. It didn't matter that a European nation had one of it's territories invaded by a South American country, that wasn't going to stop a fellow EU nation (France) selling exocet missiles to Argentina. Trade Trumps All....hmmm, sounds like the orange one has missed a tag line there.

When the environment stands in the way of trade it's no different. Take the ozone layer for example, Dupont's position on their CFC's was this...The Chairman of DuPont stated that Rowland and Molina’s ozone-depletion hypothesis was “a science fiction tale … a load of rubbish … utter nonsense.” They continued to deny their CFC's were the cause right up until the world banned them...and only when they had a ready replacement.

Corporations happily pay fines for contravening environmental regulations as it's the most cost effective option. It's the same policy when it comes to repairing a faulty car, fix the car or pay out on the life insurance? The first question asked by the board is “which option generates more profit for the shareholders?”. There are no morals when it comes to making money and no price is too high to pay if it improves profit. If Dupont were happy to screw up the ozone layer in pursuit of profits, what enviromental crimes are the thousands of other conglomerates committing in their pursuit of profit?

Bazzintheloft posted the video “Overthrow Capitalism to stop climate change” and as laughable as that sounds, it's the only way to remove the cancer at the heart of the worlds environmental problems. Corporations cannot be trusted to regulate themselves because they will stop at nothing to make as much money as possible for their shareholders, even if that means screwing up the planet (Dupont). Corporations are not the only problem mind, the population explosion is another factor as well. Reducing numbers is the only solution and the only humane way to do that is to limit couples to one kid. Every generation the population halves until a balance has been restored (where we no longer effect climate change). Never going to happen of course, not unless China takes over the world (which is not out of the realms of possibility) and who wants to live in that world? Not for me thank you. (Logan's Run anyone?)

Our history is littered with bygone empires, Sumeria, Babylonia, Assyria, Egyptian, Persian, Macedonian, Inca, Aztec and Roman. Will there be anyone left to give our empire a name? Capitalonia? We are rapidly heading towards the tipping point to which there will be no return, at least for xxxx number of years. Drastic measures need to be taken now if we are to avoid our own extinction but I fear it will be too little too late because too many people look out their windows and see a nice sunny September day and say “...well...what can little old me do anyway? I'm sure the people in charge know what they're doing, they've got kids as well you know!”.

As for Greta, all input is greatly received but how does young feet on the street really change corporate monitory policy? To bring it back to recent QPR problems, sometimes the rot is too deep and you have to rip it all out and start again. Christ knows what that looks like for the World though and it certainly won't be acceptable to the masses but we have to do something, if only to say that we tried.

I'll get back in my box now.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 23:07 - Sep 25 with 2694 viewsSonic_Hoop

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:50 - Sep 25 by kernowhoop

But, she is not 'correct ' in everything that she says (e.g. she says that she can see carbon dioxide) and she is increasing alarm and anxiety among other young people. Her parents (an actor and a singer, I believe) should not have pushed a 16 year old (autistic?) child into that position. It amounts almost to child abuse.

She could see carbon dioxide if she used something with a thermal imaging camera lens. But I take your point.

Personally, I think it is too late for the planet, or at least for humanity. England will be ok though, a bit of that blitz spirit, trade deals with the cockroaches and molerats left alive and control over our laws and borders will see us thrive.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 23:45 - Sep 25 with 2665 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

... is Remi available for the Play-offs?

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

Login to get fewer ads

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 00:19 - Sep 26 with 2640 viewsMatch82

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 20:50 - Sep 25 by kernowhoop

Where did you get the impression that she was autistic?
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 01:25 - Sep 26 with 2613 viewsJigsore

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:38 - Sep 25 by Metallica_Hoop

It annoys me greatly that overpopulation is never mentioned by these people.

Yes it is effecting our resources and our climate yet people turn a blind eye.

I wonder why?

Actually I think I know why.

(temped to put then she swallowed a fly) (like in the rhyme not the swede)

Guess it's not de-rigueur to criticize two of the major religions.

There's enough land and resources for the people on this Earth, especially with the technology we have at our disposal. Is it distributed equally? No.

Every single country on this earth has and will follow the same natural population curve. You look at many places in Europe, Australia, Japan, etc. It always plateaus. And since history is a thing not all countries are going to get there at the same point in time

What would you like the 'climate people' to do exactly. Give the families of Nigeria a severe dressing down for having more than one child? Something more permanent?

Then tying it directly into religion as well without any provcation, spicy.

I know what the reaction is going to be to this but, and i'm sure you aren't going so purposely, the above is literally a big white nationalist talking point. In the 1800s people complained the Irish bred like rats. Today the language is a little softer and the target has changed but actually it isn't that different. Think about that.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 06:21 - Sep 26 with 2538 viewsVancouverHoop

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 00:19 - Sep 26 by Match82

Where did you get the impression that she was autistic?

Asperger's syndrome is on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum. She has stated that she has been diagnosed with Aspergers.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2019 6:23]
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:36 - Sep 26 with 2392 viewsAntti_Heinola

Everyone should be increasing alarm and anxiety. Jesus Christ - that is the point! The foot-dragging, blase nature of too many people has gone on for decades too long.
I don't think there's any evidence she's been 'pushed' into anything is there? Only an assumption that a teenage girl can't possibly have her own opinions or have educated herself of the facts.

Bare bones.

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:40 - Sep 26 with 2383 viewsGloryHunter

It is not true that all the world's scientists agree on the causes of, and solutions for, climate change. Hell, not even all the world's CLIMATE scientists agree on it.

This is quite short, and worth a read:
https://www.thegwpf.org/content/uploads/2018/10/Lindzen-AnnualGWPF-lecture.pdf
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:56 - Sep 26 with 2360 viewspeterlund_dk

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:40 - Sep 26 by GloryHunter

It is not true that all the world's scientists agree on the causes of, and solutions for, climate change. Hell, not even all the world's CLIMATE scientists agree on it.

True, not all scientists agree, but 97 percent of climate scientists do:
https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/17/do-scientists-agree-on-climate-change/

You link is indeed worth a read - as is this link:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/13/peabody-energy-coal-mining-c

Politics, money, and funding questions can be raised on both sides of the climate argument. But a 97% consensus is difficult to ignore.

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:25 - Sep 26 with 2317 viewsDorse

I mean we all want to overthrow Capitalism but once that's done, what next? I reckon we should have a referendum.

...and 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:33 - Sep 26 with 2306 viewstimcocking

I do know i'd happily (allegedly) kill the president of Brazil given the opportunity...
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:46 - Sep 26 with 2294 viewsessextaxiboy

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:25 - Sep 26 by Dorse

I mean we all want to overthrow Capitalism but once that's done, what next? I reckon we should have a referendum.

...and 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/04/capitalism-is-having-an-id
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:56 - Sep 26 with 2268 viewssmegma

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 19:41 - Sep 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

China sorted out the pollution in time for the 2008 Olympics. In 2005 I visited my wife's family in Guangzhou for Chinese Spring Festival (New Year). The firework display on the Pearl River was live on TV. My brother in laws house was about 2 miles away and looking out the window you could hardly see the fireworks. When we visited for the Olympics 3 years later, we could see the skyscrapers on the Pearl River waterfront from his window very clearly. When my wife went back in 2010?she says the pollution had returned to its pre Olympic levels.

The new Beijing airport opens on Monday in time for the Chinese National Day holidays so expect the pollution to go sky high (pun intended) as people have a week off to visit family all over the People's Republic.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 11:59 - Sep 26 with 2259 viewsbob566

don't know if they pushed her. My son has aspergers syndrome. Once he gets his mind set on something he is fixated by it. Almost impossible to deter him away from it. The parents actually gave up their careers to appease her.

Greta is a remarkable girl. For her with aspergers to get up there and address the UN was a wonderful thing.

I do agree with you on the first point to a degree though. At the end of the day she is not a qualified climate scientist but that doesn't mean she can't be a spokesperson once she is quoting other qualified scientists and not just throwing her own random figures out there.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:03 - Sep 26 with 2254 viewsAntti_Heinola

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:56 - Sep 26 by peterlund_dk

True, not all scientists agree, but 97 percent of climate scientists do:
https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/17/do-scientists-agree-on-climate-change/

You link is indeed worth a read - as is this link:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/13/peabody-energy-coal-mining-c

Politics, money, and funding questions can be raised on both sides of the climate argument. But a 97% consensus is difficult to ignore.

That cartoon is exactly the point.
The time for procrastination is well past.

Bare bones.

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:05 - Sep 26 with 2250 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 10:40 - Sep 26 by GloryHunter

In 2016 Endzen was exposed as receiving payments from Peabody Energy, a major coal mining company.

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:45 - Sep 26 with 2202 viewsisawqpratwcity

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:48 - Sep 26 with 2193 viewsstevec

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 23:04 - Sep 25 by GaryT

Bit of a long rant so apologies in advance...

Trade is at the root of everything. It didn't matter that the USA had joined the war against the Nazi's, that wasn't going to get in the way of trade between the two nations. It didn't matter that a European nation had one of it's territories invaded by a South American country, that wasn't going to stop a fellow EU nation (France) selling exocet missiles to Argentina. Trade Trumps All....hmmm, sounds like the orange one has missed a tag line there.

When the environment stands in the way of trade it's no different. Take the ozone layer for example, Dupont's position on their CFC's was this...The Chairman of DuPont stated that Rowland and Molina’s ozone-depletion hypothesis was “a science fiction tale … a load of rubbish … utter nonsense.” They continued to deny their CFC's were the cause right up until the world banned them...and only when they had a ready replacement.

Corporations happily pay fines for contravening environmental regulations as it's the most cost effective option. It's the same policy when it comes to repairing a faulty car, fix the car or pay out on the life insurance? The first question asked by the board is “which option generates more profit for the shareholders?”. There are no morals when it comes to making money and no price is too high to pay if it improves profit. If Dupont were happy to screw up the ozone layer in pursuit of profits, what enviromental crimes are the thousands of other conglomerates committing in their pursuit of profit?

Bazzintheloft posted the video “Overthrow Capitalism to stop climate change” and as laughable as that sounds, it's the only way to remove the cancer at the heart of the worlds environmental problems. Corporations cannot be trusted to regulate themselves because they will stop at nothing to make as much money as possible for their shareholders, even if that means screwing up the planet (Dupont). Corporations are not the only problem mind, the population explosion is another factor as well. Reducing numbers is the only solution and the only humane way to do that is to limit couples to one kid. Every generation the population halves until a balance has been restored (where we no longer effect climate change). Never going to happen of course, not unless China takes over the world (which is not out of the realms of possibility) and who wants to live in that world? Not for me thank you. (Logan's Run anyone?)

Our history is littered with bygone empires, Sumeria, Babylonia, Assyria, Egyptian, Persian, Macedonian, Inca, Aztec and Roman. Will there be anyone left to give our empire a name? Capitalonia? We are rapidly heading towards the tipping point to which there will be no return, at least for xxxx number of years. Drastic measures need to be taken now if we are to avoid our own extinction but I fear it will be too little too late because too many people look out their windows and see a nice sunny September day and say “...well...what can little old me do anyway? I'm sure the people in charge know what they're doing, they've got kids as well you know!”.

As for Greta, all input is greatly received but how does young feet on the street really change corporate monitory policy? To bring it back to recent QPR problems, sometimes the rot is too deep and you have to rip it all out and start again. Christ knows what that looks like for the World though and it certainly won't be acceptable to the masses but we have to do something, if only to say that we tried.

I'll get back in my box now.

Fair comment in many ways and if the young do eventually take the world to an Edward Bellamy style Socialist Utopia then all power to them.

However, in the intervening centuries, and it would take centuries, I suspect the collapse of capitalism would result in absolute carnage for those living through it, maybe those in public service believe they’re immune to its demise. Short term maybe, long term not.

Every one of us does or has relied on a weekly wage paid for by capitalism. I’m curious from those who want to bring it down precisely what will sufficiently replace it until the glorious dream is realised.
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? (n/t) on 14:31 - Sep 26 with 2111 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 12:48 - Sep 26 by stevec

Fair comment in many ways and if the young do eventually take the world to an Edward Bellamy style Socialist Utopia then all power to them.

However, in the intervening centuries, and it would take centuries, I suspect the collapse of capitalism would result in absolute carnage for those living through it, maybe those in public service believe they’re immune to its demise. Short term maybe, long term not.

Every one of us does or has relied on a weekly wage paid for by capitalism. I’m curious from those who want to bring it down precisely what will sufficiently replace it until the glorious dream is realised.

[Post edited 26 Sep 2019 14:34]
What does everyone make of this Greta Thunberg debate? on 14:40 - Sep 26 with 2099 viewsBlackCrowe

The challenge with the green agenda and energy targets, plastics etc is that most of the worse contributors are from third world and emerging nations where much of the population are understandably more concerned about food, clean drinking water and shelter for the next 24 hours rather than what the world might look like in 30/100 years time.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024