Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many do we need? 07:35 - Jul 26 with 4425 viewsGloucs_R

GK is just the 6 pro keepers enough 🙄
LB or is everyone happy with Wallace and Niko?
RB or is everyone happy with Kakay and Kane?
CB, assuming BFG does go. That leaves Masterson and Barbet, with Cameron and Wallace as back up.
DM need another? Ball and Cameron.
AM to replace Eze.
RW to replace BOS. Not sure Shodipo is good enough.
LW Chair? Replacement for Pugh?
CF x 2? The Danish lad plus two others.

Poll: Are we staying up?

How many do we need? on 07:42 - Jul 26 with 2159 viewsozexile

Basically everywhere bar GK.
How many do we need? on 08:11 - Jul 26 with 2113 viewsParkRoyalR

Shodipo, when given the ball, is a very effective Winger and when playing a Hughill type Centre Forward would have started ahead of BOS for me - quick enough to beat his man and very accurate crosser - hopefully can stay fit and after a few decent runs finally have his breakthrough season.
How many do we need? on 08:51 - Jul 26 with 2035 viewsBlue_Castello

One things for sure it's going to be a very busy 3 weeks, we've lost the loan players obviously and potentially another three being sold for transfer fees.

A lot may well depend on how much we get for our young players before we can start making bids for transfer fees but there's plenty of work to do on free transfers and loans to keep the management team very busy.
Very sadly for Wigan there will assumedly be a fire sale of players, part of me doesn't want to benefit to their expense but if it's not us it will be another Championship team, for that reason I'm still hoping we get Keiffer Moore next week, somehow I think we will be outbid no surprise or shock either.
How many do we need? on 08:59 - Jul 26 with 2015 viewsGloucs_R

I think our record since the restart shows that our squad is nowhere near good enough for the championship. So without a doubt we have to add a number of new players.

How many do we need? on 08:59 - Jul 26 with 2013 viewsdavman

Depends on the criteria you set.

GKs not great, but can't be a priority.
RBs - K&K will do (again not overly impressed by Kane though). Could do with a utility player that offers an option here.
LB - although always injured, we did buy Wallace for this position, so he should be good enough. Not sure anyone is convinced by Nico, seeing as he was left out of the post lockdown squad, so maybe a backup needed?
CB - at least two, ironically one like Leistner still a must for me. We HAVE to stop getting bullied, especially at set pieces.
Wingers - BOS goes, Chair moves more central to replace Eze,. Shodipo has to be considered good enough to step up, but I still reckon we'll two down to cover the season - is Bettache good enough to be one of them, or is he better off going on loan? The latter for me, so two there.
CMs - Ball and Cameron. We can't rely on Cameron for a season, so at least two here too.
Strikers - Ramkilde will have to be considered ; Oteh not looking like he is up to Standard. At least two there too.

Regrettably, that's 8 if one can be found to fill in at RB. (this assumes BOS, Eze and Manning go).

The thing is, I can't see the club bringing another 8 in.

Never dull here, is it?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

How many do we need? on 09:08 - Jul 26 with 1990 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Two other things we need to think about:
1) We're presuming that Eze, BOS and Manning will all be sold. That's not guaranteed
2) Development loans out for Bettache, Gubbins etc are a possibility

I think that our squad did show in the last three games that it possesses a lot of talent. Warburton spoke of 2 or 3 additions. That might do it (depending on 1 and 2 above).

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

How many do we need? on 09:27 - Jul 26 with 1948 viewsed_83

GK - Lumley, Kelly, Dieng (sell / release Barnes). Would be nice to find a more reliable keeper, but given the number of players we need to bring in elsewhere it’s not a priority.

RB - Kakay, Kane (release Rangel / offer coaching role). Again, if we could improve here it’d be nice but we can make do with what we’ve got, I think. Ball or Cameron as third-choice cover here, assuming we bring in more midfielders.

LB - TBC, Wallace, Hammalainen (sell Manning). Definitely need to bring someone in if / when Manning goes; Wallace is too injury prone & Nico is untested at this level.

CB - TBC x 2, Barbet, Masterson, Gubbins, Phillips (sell Leistner). Absolutely vital we bring in at least one quality player here, ideally two. Gubbins & Phillips as additional cover if neither go out on loan, but we can’t assume they’ll make the step up. If we keep Leistner then we probably only need 1 new player, but I suspect wages may be an issue.

DM / CM - TBC x 2, Ball, Cameron, Owens. Again, this is a massive priority. Presumably one of the two incoming might be Amos. If so, the other would ideally be a tougher, more experienced player. Irving & Mowatt would be great, think Hutchinson’s already training with us. Owens is obviously out injured for a while but could be useful backup once fit.

AM - TBC, Chair, Bettache (sell Eze). Less urgent as Amos can cover here, but if he plays deeper it’d be nice to have someone else at 10 to compete with Chair (who I’d rather see here than out wide, personally). Bettache as backup.

RW - Shodipo, Smyth (sell Bright). Another area where we might have to make do with what we’ve got. Big season for Smyth, who everyone seems to have forgotten about; he’s shown he can make an impact at this level but has clearly dropped off in the last year or two. We need him to get back to where he was under Holloway.

LW - TBC x 2. I guess Chair / Shodipo / someone else can rotate here, so probably not a massive priority, but we could do with at least one left-sided attacking player to replace Pugh. Hopefully Dalling / Bansal-McNulty might come through as backup players here?

CF - TBC x 2, Ramkilde, Oteh. Another huge issue. Hoping one of these might be Kieffer Moore, but we’d still need another.

So yeah, just 10 players needed by my count, including a completely new spine to the team. Piece of cake.
How many do we need? on 09:30 - Jul 26 with 1941 viewsGloucs_R

How many do we need? on 09:08 - Jul 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Two other things we need to think about:
1) We're presuming that Eze, BOS and Manning will all be sold. That's not guaranteed
2) Development loans out for Bettache, Gubbins etc are a possibility

I think that our squad did show in the last three games that it possesses a lot of talent. Warburton spoke of 2 or 3 additions. That might do it (depending on 1 and 2 above).

Sorry Brian.... We have to sell all 3 now. None will sign a new contract.

If we don't sell Eze now, he'll be worth half this time next year, with only a year left.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2020 10:40]

Login to get fewer ads

How many do we need? on 09:36 - Jul 26 with 1919 viewsLblock

Every summer we seem to need to take a Steve Austin approach to transfers, this one probably more than most.

We need a new spine.

A keeper worth 12 points, in the bank not costing us
A centre back monster who can also play a bit - Toni with some pace type
Enforcer who can pick a pass
Battler and pace merchants up top who can bag double figures each

Get that and sprinkle a bit of magic here and there and you’re laughing
If it was that easy though then everyone would be doing it

Busy time for comedians off the pitch yet again

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

How many do we need? on 09:42 - Jul 26 with 1903 viewsBrianMcCarthy

How many do we need? on 09:30 - Jul 26 by Gloucs_R

If we don't sell Eze now, he'll be worth half this time next year, with only a year left.

Ideally, I agree. But that depends on suitable offers being made too.

How many do we need? on 09:45 - Jul 26 with 1891 viewsYokelR

Lots of stuff linking us with Taylor at Charlton & apparently a done deal with a striker ay Leyton Orient?
How many do we need? on 09:57 - Jul 26 with 1847 viewsrsonist

How many do we need? on 09:45 - Jul 26 by YokelR

Lots of stuff linking us with Taylor at Charlton & apparently a done deal with a striker ay Leyton Orient?

Well if @TransferCentre9 says so...
How many do we need? on 10:09 - Jul 26 with 1821 viewsHunterhoop

- 1-2 CB, depending on Leistner
- 1 x LB, depending on Manning

- 2 x CM
- 1 x winger (assuming both Eze and BOS go)

- 2 x CF

That would be the bare minimum.

You could add a RB, another CB, another CM, another winger, and another forward.

But i’m not sure we can afford that indulgence. Also, given out youth set up producing players now, i’d Rather we use what salary space we have available to sign fewer better players than lots of average ones.
How many do we need? on 10:13 - Jul 26 with 1807 viewsfrancisbowles

How many do we need? on 08:59 - Jul 26 by davman

Depends on the criteria you set.

GKs not great, but can't be a priority.
RBs - K&K will do (again not overly impressed by Kane though). Could do with a utility player that offers an option here.
LB - although always injured, we did buy Wallace for this position, so he should be good enough. Not sure anyone is convinced by Nico, seeing as he was left out of the post lockdown squad, so maybe a backup needed?
CB - at least two, ironically one like Leistner still a must for me. We HAVE to stop getting bullied, especially at set pieces.
Wingers - BOS goes, Chair moves more central to replace Eze,. Shodipo has to be considered good enough to step up, but I still reckon we'll two down to cover the season - is Bettache good enough to be one of them, or is he better off going on loan? The latter for me, so two there.
CMs - Ball and Cameron. We can't rely on Cameron for a season, so at least two here too.
Strikers - Ramkilde will have to be considered ; Oteh not looking like he is up to Standard. At least two there too.

Regrettably, that's 8 if one can be found to fill in at RB. (this assumes BOS, Eze and Manning go).

The thing is, I can't see the club bringing another 8 in.

Never dull here, is it?

Nico wasn't left out of the squad, he was ineligible as he was on loan during the second half of the season.

Not sure if he is good enough but he seems to have impressed in the SPL and we have given him another contract. Kakay played half a season less in Scotland at a lower level and he has played well at RB.

I think if we are happy with Wallace's fitness, we could try the two of them until January and review. If we get extra cb, then Barbet and Gubbins are both left footed and could cover.
How many do we need? on 10:13 - Jul 26 with 1806 viewsDorse

Every year I say the same thing: we need a CB who would tackle a life-sized concrete effigy of King Kong if it looked onside.

I miss Danny Shittu. So very much.

Anyway, this year I think I will also be hoping for a First Team striker too.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

How many do we need? on 10:13 - Jul 26 with 1804 viewsnix

How many do we need? on 09:42 - Jul 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Ideally, I agree. But that depends on suitable offers being made too.

I agree with you Brian. I think we should get money for Eze and BOS but maybe not Manning. If he's not going for much we might be best keeping him. He's probably not on high wages so that plus not having to pay a fee for him plus continuity may mean we play out his contract. On the other hand if we get two million plus for him then it's worth selling and putting that cash towards the wages of an out of contract player.

I think we need a back up right back, ideally one that can also play centre back. Two new centre backs, at least one of which being a big unit who can't be bullied. An attacking midfielder. Another defensive mid assuming Amos leaves, a right winger if BOS goes and a left winger plus two strikers. It sounds a lot but we may get a couple in on loan. Overall I think that's paid off for us. I'd hate having little Matt Smith or Mlakar on permanent contracts, whereas Hughill and Wells were brilliant for us. Bettache looked promising but may need a loan at least until Jan to get experience. I like the look of Ramkille. Shodipo is doing okay but can't make the impact BOS can so we could do with someone with that raw pace. We definitely need some pace in the team if we lose both BOS and Eze, so that's a priority.

I was very nervous at this point last season but we did pretty well with recruitment so I'm less pessimistic that we can pull something off. Bigger clubs should be keen to loan us their promising youngsters and out of form strikers, as we're proven to develop and add value to players.
How many do we need? on 10:21 - Jul 26 with 1772 viewsBrianMcCarthy

How many do we need? on 10:13 - Jul 26 by nix

I agree with you Brian. I think we should get money for Eze and BOS but maybe not Manning. If he's not going for much we might be best keeping him. He's probably not on high wages so that plus not having to pay a fee for him plus continuity may mean we play out his contract. On the other hand if we get two million plus for him then it's worth selling and putting that cash towards the wages of an out of contract player.

I think we need a back up right back, ideally one that can also play centre back. Two new centre backs, at least one of which being a big unit who can't be bullied. An attacking midfielder. Another defensive mid assuming Amos leaves, a right winger if BOS goes and a left winger plus two strikers. It sounds a lot but we may get a couple in on loan. Overall I think that's paid off for us. I'd hate having little Matt Smith or Mlakar on permanent contracts, whereas Hughill and Wells were brilliant for us. Bettache looked promising but may need a loan at least until Jan to get experience. I like the look of Ramkille. Shodipo is doing okay but can't make the impact BOS can so we could do with someone with that raw pace. We definitely need some pace in the team if we lose both BOS and Eze, so that's a priority.

I was very nervous at this point last season but we did pretty well with recruitment so I'm less pessimistic that we can pull something off. Bigger clubs should be keen to loan us their promising youngsters and out of form strikers, as we're proven to develop and add value to players.

Ya, agree with all of that. I'm also relaxed enough about recruitment and squad-building. They did a fine job of it last year.

How many do we need? on 10:24 - Jul 26 with 1771 viewshantssi

We need to replace those who have/will leave.
How many do we need? on 10:27 - Jul 26 with 1760 viewsstevec

Most of what’s been said above, another big job, but behind it all we need an experienced keeper who’s out there but on somebodies bench at the mo.

As bad as we were defensively we cannot afford the regular fumbling in goal that drains the life out the players and fans alike.
How many do we need? on 10:30 - Jul 26 with 1754 viewsterryb

How many do we need? on 09:30 - Jul 26 by Gloucs_R

I'm sure I've read numerous times that Eze would still be under contract after June 2021.
How many do we need? on 10:34 - Jul 26 with 1742 viewsGloucs_R

How many do we need? on 10:30 - Jul 26 by terryb

I'm sure I've read numerous times that Eze would still be under contract after June 2021.

Yeah, two years. But would be worth a lot less with only 12 months remaining

How many do we need? on 10:55 - Jul 26 with 1690 viewsfrancisbowles

How many do we need? on 09:27 - Jul 26 by ed_83

GK - Lumley, Kelly, Dieng (sell / release Barnes). Would be nice to find a more reliable keeper, but given the number of players we need to bring in elsewhere it’s not a priority.

RB - Kakay, Kane (release Rangel / offer coaching role). Again, if we could improve here it’d be nice but we can make do with what we’ve got, I think. Ball or Cameron as third-choice cover here, assuming we bring in more midfielders.

LB - TBC, Wallace, Hammalainen (sell Manning). Definitely need to bring someone in if / when Manning goes; Wallace is too injury prone & Nico is untested at this level.

CB - TBC x 2, Barbet, Masterson, Gubbins, Phillips (sell Leistner). Absolutely vital we bring in at least one quality player here, ideally two. Gubbins & Phillips as additional cover if neither go out on loan, but we can’t assume they’ll make the step up. If we keep Leistner then we probably only need 1 new player, but I suspect wages may be an issue.

DM / CM - TBC x 2, Ball, Cameron, Owens. Again, this is a massive priority. Presumably one of the two incoming might be Amos. If so, the other would ideally be a tougher, more experienced player. Irving & Mowatt would be great, think Hutchinson’s already training with us. Owens is obviously out injured for a while but could be useful backup once fit.

AM - TBC, Chair, Bettache (sell Eze). Less urgent as Amos can cover here, but if he plays deeper it’d be nice to have someone else at 10 to compete with Chair (who I’d rather see here than out wide, personally). Bettache as backup.

RW - Shodipo, Smyth (sell Bright). Another area where we might have to make do with what we’ve got. Big season for Smyth, who everyone seems to have forgotten about; he’s shown he can make an impact at this level but has clearly dropped off in the last year or two. We need him to get back to where he was under Holloway.

LW - TBC x 2. I guess Chair / Shodipo / someone else can rotate here, so probably not a massive priority, but we could do with at least one left-sided attacking player to replace Pugh. Hopefully Dalling / Bansal-McNulty might come through as backup players here?

CF - TBC x 2, Ramkilde, Oteh. Another huge issue. Hoping one of these might be Kieffer Moore, but we’d still need another.

So yeah, just 10 players needed by my count, including a completely new spine to the team. Piece of cake.

Rangel is out of contract. I would imagine we have a duty of care and that our insurance will pay for his medical and rehab.

Phillips has been released.
How many do we need? on 11:18 - Jul 26 with 1643 viewsDavieQPR

The club kept very quiet about transfer targets last year so I expect a few surprises again. Would think about 3 in, plus replacements for any sold, plus about 4 loans. Any guesses on the surprise players? Mine would be Clarke back on loan if BOS and Eze go. There has got to be a reason Spurs paid £10m for him.
How many do we need? on 12:05 - Jul 26 with 1565 viewsWelsh_Ranger

I'd probably look to shift on one of our keepers as well. I'm not going to stipulate which one but for a team of our stature to have four/five senior keepers in Lumley, Barnes, Dieng, Kelly and Brzozowski that would both release some wages and aid the transfer buudget.
How many do we need? on 12:10 - Jul 26 with 1548 viewsed_83

How many do we need? on 10:55 - Jul 26 by francisbowles

Rangel is out of contract. I would imagine we have a duty of care and that our insurance will pay for his medical and rehab.

Phillips has been released.

Ah right, didn’t know about Philips. Was aware Rangel’s contract was up and don’t think giving him another year as a player would be wise given how long he’s likely to be out, but think it would be good to keep him around the club in some form, hence mentioning some kind of coaching / mentoring role. If we’re covering his rehab then that’s great.
[Post edited 26 Jul 2020 12:11]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024