Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Different story, same outcome — Report 16:27 - Nov 28 with 4770 viewsNorthernr

Different story, same outcome — Report 28th Nov 2020 16:08
QPR’s 2020/21 trip to Brentford came with a better performance and different narrative than its predecessors, but ultimately the same result from a controversial game on Friday evening. 11

Different story, same outcome — Report on 15:37 - Nov 30 with 524 viewsnix

Different story, same outcome — Report on 10:51 - Nov 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

It's what makes football fun for me and is why i'm not a fan of VAR.

I agree with you about VAR.
Different story, same outcome — Report on 15:42 - Nov 30 with 512 viewsNorthernr

Different story, same outcome — Report on 15:32 - Nov 30 by daveB

When VAR was first mooted I liked the idea of it and wanted to see it tried out and the ikes of Clive on here were adamant it would be a disaster, they've been proved 100% correct and I couldn't have been more wrong. It's a horrific experience now.

It was sold as looking at the big calls that are given wrong but it doesn't do that, it's become a pedantic way to referee a game of football.

I watched the Brighton v Liverpool game on Saturday, 4 big VAR calls and really only the Mane disallowed goal was one where you'd have the hump if it was given. All the others for the 2 pens and Salahs goal the on field decision was fine, all 50/50 calls so go with the ref and get on with it. The whole experience of watching these games is crap, you know if a goal goes in there is a good chance it won't be a goal, it's like watching a game of a game on the playstation now

If VAR was in place for the Championship that game on Friday would have been a farce. The first Brentford goal would have been checked as the attacker in front of Deing was possibly offside and possibly blocking his view. The Toney disallowed one would have been checked as well as the one he scored as his armpit might be offside, all borderline decisions and can't have a real complaint if they are given either way. I bet Dykes goal would have been checked as well as we all sit around and wait.

Sooner they bin VAR the better

I was against it even when it was sold as the game continuing as normal, as it always had, and VAR coming in only every now and again for really big serious sht. And it's turned out to be even worse than I thought.

1 - The game doesn't continue as normal as it always has. The handball rule has been completely changed, for the worse, to try and make it a black and white issue, with no judgement call on whether it was deliberate or not, so that they can look at a screen and say "yup, touched his arm, penalty/no goal". Similarly offside, they've tried to turn into a binary thing, you're either offside or you're not, hence you're getting ridiculous nonsense decisions around arm pits, and that one the other week where Bamford is pointing for a pass and he's flagged offside because his bicep is stretched out. They've also instructed linesmen to keep flags down, even if they think it is offside, wait for the play to come to a natural stop, and then flag, so they don't end up disallowing a goal that would have been allowed by the video - this is creating these weird, and at times injury-causing, passages of play where we sort of know it's offside but we're playing on anyway just to see. All of this fundamentally changes the game.

2 - It's not just getting involved for big, important sht. This tech has been in rugby league for 30 years, and even they only look for tries - and even then, it doesn't work well there either. Clean and obvious errors and big important stuff was what we were sold. Instead we're getting all kinds of marginal, debatable sht judged upon. It seeps into every aspect of play - goals, fouls, goalkeeper moving an inch from his line for a penalty. Eight, nine, ten times a game we're informed there's some sort of check going on for some sort of bolox.
Different story, same outcome — Report on 16:12 - Nov 30 with 465 viewsAntti_Heinola

Absolutely, and the thing is, there is no less controversy than before. It's just different controversy. It's an utter waste of time. So many goals ruled out for offside where, even if it had been scored against us, I would have been happy for it to be allowed (not happy but you know what I mean). You can point to plenty of decisions where you can say, 'well, that's the good of VAR', when it's overturned a clearly wrong decision, but a lot of the time I'm still none the wiser. Gabriel Jesus had a goal disallowed for City against Spurs last week, it didn't get much publicity, but even after viewing it 10 times I wasn't 100% sure it had glanced off his bicep. So what have we got here? As you say, marginal calls.

The only possible thing I can see working is a Joker like in cricket, where you have 1 appeal per game. If you think you've been hard done by, you play it, it's checked, if you're wrong, you lose it, if you're right you can keep it and use it again. But that would stop this constant checking of nothing issues, and players appealing every time it brushes the hair on a player's arm. And I would still hate it. I don't want to get promoted because of it (luckily no danger there!). I absolutely hate that you can barely celebrate a goal in case there was some minor infringement 5 minutes earlier.
It's awful. It's not working. The authorities have to admit it.

Bare bones.

Different story, same outcome — Report on 16:42 - Nov 30 with 420 viewsNorthernr

Different story, same outcome — Report on 16:12 - Nov 30 by Antti_Heinola

Absolutely, and the thing is, there is no less controversy than before. It's just different controversy. It's an utter waste of time. So many goals ruled out for offside where, even if it had been scored against us, I would have been happy for it to be allowed (not happy but you know what I mean). You can point to plenty of decisions where you can say, 'well, that's the good of VAR', when it's overturned a clearly wrong decision, but a lot of the time I'm still none the wiser. Gabriel Jesus had a goal disallowed for City against Spurs last week, it didn't get much publicity, but even after viewing it 10 times I wasn't 100% sure it had glanced off his bicep. So what have we got here? As you say, marginal calls.

The only possible thing I can see working is a Joker like in cricket, where you have 1 appeal per game. If you think you've been hard done by, you play it, it's checked, if you're wrong, you lose it, if you're right you can keep it and use it again. But that would stop this constant checking of nothing issues, and players appealing every time it brushes the hair on a player's arm. And I would still hate it. I don't want to get promoted because of it (luckily no danger there!). I absolutely hate that you can barely celebrate a goal in case there was some minor infringement 5 minutes earlier.
It's awful. It's not working. The authorities have to admit it.

And quite a lot of the "that's the good of VAR" incidents are bolox as well, because the referee or linesman would have given it that way anyway if they'd had to and didn't have the tech, but are now being encouraged to wait and let things go as they're being reviewed afterwards anyway.
Different story, same outcome — Report on 17:21 - Nov 30 with 365 viewsTheChef

Different story, same outcome — Report on 16:42 - Nov 30 by Northernr

And quite a lot of the "that's the good of VAR" incidents are bolox as well, because the referee or linesman would have given it that way anyway if they'd had to and didn't have the tech, but are now being encouraged to wait and let things go as they're being reviewed afterwards anyway.

And you can be sure it's here to stay because of the amount of media content and controversial 'bantz' it creates, that the world seems to revolve around these days.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Different story, same outcome — Report on 14:58 - Dec 1 with 290 viewsPinnerPaul

Different story, same outcome — Report on 11:03 - Nov 30 by Northernr

Quite apart from it being absolutely fcking horrendous, and the vast majority hating it, I would say the cost of bringing it into our league, at a time when they're all skint, would prevent it coming our way any time soon.

even Gary Lineker, who spent the whole of last season on MOTD saying 'If only we had VAR' after every decision he didn't agree with AND who conducted an 'Isn't VAR great' interview with FIFA has now said he wants the PL to bin it.
Different story, same outcome — Report on 15:04 - Dec 1 with 281 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Different story, same outcome — Report on 14:58 - Dec 1 by PinnerPaul

even Gary Lineker, who spent the whole of last season on MOTD saying 'If only we had VAR' after every decision he didn't agree with AND who conducted an 'Isn't VAR great' interview with FIFA has now said he wants the PL to bin it.

I've been listening to Baker and Lineker's podcast when it's been on and Baker has been slating VAR and Lineker's been open and self-effacing about his slow conversion to the anti-VAR side.

It's a nonsense.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Different story, same outcome — Report on 15:12 - Dec 1 with 274 viewsPinnerPaul

Yes I AM in the 'I told you so camp' as well and its not just the PL to blame. As I've said before it has been controversial from day 1 and has been in use for about 5 years now so, no , its not going to somehow 'get better' as some STILL claim!

Listened to an Evening with Howard Webb the other night and when he rationalises it, its sounds OK.

He says its there to stop the Thierry Henry handball and to give the referees some help - as he admits he could have done with it for the De Jong non red card!

As Clive has said, and we can all see. its NOT being used like that.

Penalties are the ones that get me the most. Most are subjective calls and I'll give you 3 examples in our recent games where VAR would have been involved but to what end?

Bonne shout - Clive, thought it was, I thought it wasn't. nor did referee or AR who was close to it. Now I'm sure Clive will confirm even though he thought it was a pen it wasn't a clear and obvious error so no need for ref to go and look at it again, but in the PL he would have been told to I'm sure.

Same with the Nico pen shout v Rotherham - here I thought yes, Clive and officials no - but its the same as the Bonne one - given - yes we would have been annoyed but its not a clear and obvious error. Even the Barbet one, IF the referee thinks Cameron committed a foul beforehand - disagree - yes as I did - but go with it.

You want VAR to be used for the 'Really?!' incidents, like the Dykes non red card and putting aside our blue and white glasses for a minute, as Clive says there are not THAT many of those - certainly every goal does NOT need 'checking' as they do now.

Rant over........ for the time being!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024