Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Final play-off spot 17:23 - Feb 19 with 16122 viewsNorthernr

As I've been researching it for the preview may as well put the full lot on here. Here are the points accumulated and the games lost by the team finishing sixth in this league since 92/93.

-Highest it's been is 80, lowest is 68, average is 73.6.
- Most number of defeats is 16, least is 10. We've already lost 10.
- Only five times has the team from sixth won promotion, which rather ruins the idea that the team that crashes in with a late run of form often fairs best.
- QPR are currently tracking at 59 points for the season
- To get to the 74 point mark we'd need 38 points from our remaining 18 games, more than 2 a game.

19/20 - Swansea 70, 12
18/19 - Derby 74, 12
17/18 - Derby 75, 11
16/17 - Fulham 80, 10
15/16 - Sheff Wed 74, 10
14/15 - Ipswich 78, 12
13/14 - Brighton 72, 12
12/13 - Leicester 68, 16
11/12 - Cardiff 75, 9
10/11 - Forest 75, 11
09/10 - Blackpool 70, 14, Promoted
08/09 - Preston 74, 14
07/08 - Watford 70, 12
06/07 - Southampton 75, 13
05/06 - Palace 75, 12
04/05 - West Ham 73, 15 Promoted
03/04 - Palace 73, 15, Promoted
02/03 - Forest 74, 12
01/02 - Norwich 75, 15
00/01 - West Brom 74, 14
99/00 - Bolton 76, 12
98/99 - Bolton 76, 10
97/98 - Sheff Utd, 74, 10
96/97 - Palace, 71, 13, Promoted
95/96 -Leicester, 71, 13, Promoted
94/95 - Barnsley 72, 14 (play offs only to fifth that year, Barnsley finished 6th)
93/94 - Derby 71, 15
92/93 - Leicester, 76, 14

This post has been edited by an administrator
Final play-off spot on 17:17 - Feb 20 with 2053 viewsterryb

Final play-off spot on 16:57 - Feb 20 by toboboly

Clive? Clive? Wheres Clive?

He's to blame.

He started this stupid thread!
Final play-off spot on 17:22 - Feb 20 with 1991 viewsMedwayR

We've actually got quite a nice run of games coming up where this run could continue. However, we've also got 8 games in 4 weeks. Something will give so enjoy it while it lasts.

Poll: Who’s better?

Final play-off spot on 17:23 - Feb 20 with 1969 viewsloftboy

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=2

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Final play-off spot on 17:42 - Feb 20 with 1884 viewsDavieQPR

Final play-off spot on 17:22 - Feb 20 by MedwayR

We've actually got quite a nice run of games coming up where this run could continue. However, we've also got 8 games in 4 weeks. Something will give so enjoy it while it lasts.

Possibly why MW is making full use of his subs.
Final play-off spot on 17:48 - Feb 20 with 1852 viewsHastings_Hoops

Final play-off spot on 17:44 - Feb 19 by Hastings_Hoops

For argument’s sake, let’s assume we had played the postponed Wycombe and Rotherham games and won. We’d have 42 points, which is 7 behind Bournemouth.

Let’s assume we then beat Bournemouth tomorrow; that’s 4 points off 6th.

...this’ll age well I’m sure 🙄

Ageing better than expected
Final play-off spot on 17:58 - Feb 20 with 1809 viewsWatford_Ranger

Open Wembley for the playoffs Boris you bastard!
Final play-off spot on 18:01 - Feb 20 with 1799 viewsHunterhoop

Results at the bottom of the table were very interesting. Keeps making me think it’ll be 50+ to stay up. Brum won from somewhere. Huddersfield won and scored 4. Forest won. Rotherham have 2 games in hand (one with us). That last spot could be interesting. Would quite like Brum and Wed to go down, if Forest can’t.
Final play-off spot on 18:10 - Feb 20 with 1749 viewsjoolsyp

Final play-off spot on 18:01 - Feb 20 by Hunterhoop

Results at the bottom of the table were very interesting. Keeps making me think it’ll be 50+ to stay up. Brum won from somewhere. Huddersfield won and scored 4. Forest won. Rotherham have 2 games in hand (one with us). That last spot could be interesting. Would quite like Brum and Wed to go down, if Forest can’t.

Don't discount Bristol City for that 3rd relegation spot ... they're in free-fall!
Login to get fewer ads

Final play-off spot on 18:10 - Feb 20 with 1747 viewsManinBlack

I try to be realistic about us and for that reason having Bonne and Dykes up front will not get us into the play offs. They seem to be the type of strikers that need 6 chances to score one goal in a game. Compare them to Toney for example whose strike rate could get you up. In truth I don't want us to go up as we are nowhere near ready and will be another Sheffield United next season.

We have not got rid of our charitable status despite our more steely performances of late. In case anyone had not noticed, Shane Long scored his first goal today in a year. Brilliant result today but QPR fan Chris Mepham rather gifted us the first goal today.
Final play-off spot on 18:16 - Feb 20 with 1724 viewsWatford_Ranger

Would love it if Wednesday went down. Love it.
Final play-off spot on 18:18 - Feb 20 with 1709 viewsDieByYourSide

Final play-off spot on 18:10 - Feb 20 by ManinBlack

I try to be realistic about us and for that reason having Bonne and Dykes up front will not get us into the play offs. They seem to be the type of strikers that need 6 chances to score one goal in a game. Compare them to Toney for example whose strike rate could get you up. In truth I don't want us to go up as we are nowhere near ready and will be another Sheffield United next season.

We have not got rid of our charitable status despite our more steely performances of late. In case anyone had not noticed, Shane Long scored his first goal today in a year. Brilliant result today but QPR fan Chris Mepham rather gifted us the first goal today.

FYI, we've signed Charlie Austin!

Poll: And it's hi ho

Final play-off spot on 18:41 - Feb 20 with 1663 viewsManinBlack

Final play-off spot on 18:18 - Feb 20 by DieByYourSide

FYI, we've signed Charlie Austin!

Austin won't score the same amount of goals as Pukki and Toney because of his age and the scarcity of playing 90 plus minutes. If this was 2014 I might agree with you but it isn't and we will need to rely on younger strikers of our own and not loanees.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 18:42]
Final play-off spot on 18:56 - Feb 20 with 1604 viewsingeminate

Final play-off spot on 18:41 - Feb 20 by ManinBlack

Austin won't score the same amount of goals as Pukki and Toney because of his age and the scarcity of playing 90 plus minutes. If this was 2014 I might agree with you but it isn't and we will need to rely on younger strikers of our own and not loanees.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 18:42]

There is no reason we can’t nab the last play off spot. Since we’ve gone to 3 at the back we are fairly solid. We’ve got a strong midfield. Chair creates buckets of chances. A proven goal scorer and leader in Austin. Best of all we have a raft of exciting game changers coming off the bench. Well two. Is that a raft? Who knows? Funny work raft it’s not like a couple or a few.
We also have three first choice goalies - and luckily one of them is really good and playing out of his skin.
No harm dreaming, and I’m seeing us winning at Wembley!

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Final play-off spot on 19:08 - Feb 20 with 1561 viewsMyke

Final play-off spot on 18:56 - Feb 20 by ingeminate

There is no reason we can’t nab the last play off spot. Since we’ve gone to 3 at the back we are fairly solid. We’ve got a strong midfield. Chair creates buckets of chances. A proven goal scorer and leader in Austin. Best of all we have a raft of exciting game changers coming off the bench. Well two. Is that a raft? Who knows? Funny work raft it’s not like a couple or a few.
We also have three first choice goalies - and luckily one of them is really good and playing out of his skin.

Seriously! 2 weeks ago we were 'sure' to down. Why is the Premier League the Holy Grail? I don't get that Let's not lose the run of ourselves. If we somehow bizarrely got promoted, we would be in far worse shape to survive than the last time and we know how that turned out. We have a hugely over-reliance on our loan players (just as we had last season). Like I have said many times previously, nothing wrong with a short term fix as long as we don't lose sight of the bigger plan.
We need to use the breathing space caused by this run to give our own players more game time (not yet, when we hit 52 points). There will almost certainly be a drop in form when this happens, but if we are serious about developing our younger players, that would be the perfect environment to do it. A top half finish, plus the likes of Chair,Willock, Kakay, Niko etc being better Championship players, would be a resoundingly successful season.
That's not me lacking ambition, that's me wanting to set solid foundations for the future, not building castles in the sand
Final play-off spot on 19:14 - Feb 20 with 1548 viewsManinBlack

Final play-off spot on 18:56 - Feb 20 by ingeminate

Of course I don't disagree with anything you say and what is the point of the game if we have no ambition to make the play offs?

I said I was a realist and I don't believe we are ready both on and off the pitch for Premier league football. If we go up too soon before getting our house in order then we may get carried away and start making the same mistakes again and come back down after one miserable season.

Personally I will be happy to finish between 7th and 12th considering how the first half of the season went. I am also acutely aware in recent seasons that when we reach 50 points we switch off with 8 games to go and stumble across the finish line. With the condensed season there could be a number of tired teams in the run in.
Final play-off spot on 19:18 - Feb 20 with 1543 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Final play-off spot on 18:02 - Feb 19 by BrianMcCarthy

Paddy Power aren't even offering us as a price.

That’s because they’ve paid out already.

I assume you got the memo and got on it early like the rest of us?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Final play-off spot on 20:31 - Feb 20 with 1457 viewsW7Ranger

Final play-off spot on 19:14 - Feb 20 by ManinBlack

Of course I don't disagree with anything you say and what is the point of the game if we have no ambition to make the play offs?

I said I was a realist and I don't believe we are ready both on and off the pitch for Premier league football. If we go up too soon before getting our house in order then we may get carried away and start making the same mistakes again and come back down after one miserable season.

Personally I will be happy to finish between 7th and 12th considering how the first half of the season went. I am also acutely aware in recent seasons that when we reach 50 points we switch off with 8 games to go and stumble across the finish line. With the condensed season there could be a number of tired teams in the run in.

Who decides when we are "ready" to go up?

Who would be arrogant enough to say/believe that?

Do you not think 23 other teams have a say in that?

"IF" we somehow went up, it's because we earned the right to go up. Not only that, there's no way we'd make the same mistakes as before. We'd also get some much needed revenue in to the club, irrespective of whether we went straight back down again or not, we'd be in a far better financial position to build and go again the following season.

Do you think if we sneaked in to the play offs we'd should throw the games because we're "not ready"??!!
Final play-off spot on 20:52 - Feb 20 with 1412 viewsingeminate

Mood I’m in you might as well tell a 17 year old on a promise with Scarlett Johansen to take a rain check as he’s not mature enough to do himself justice.

What is football if it isn’t to dream that we might just ~ and that next year we might just as well.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 20:54]

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Final play-off spot on 21:30 - Feb 20 with 1351 viewsGloryHunter

Final play-off spot on 18:10 - Feb 20 by ManinBlack

In truth I don't want us to go up as we are nowhere near ready

Get promoted, don't sp*nk the TV money on has-been Joey Bartons, come down with parachute payments, rinse & repeat. As per West Brom and Burnley (under Lee Hoos). Simples.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 21:32]
Final play-off spot on 21:35 - Feb 20 with 1325 viewsloftboy

Au contraire. After our last delve into the hallowed league I’d say that we are more than ready as this time we would do it properly, stick with the players that got us there, take the money and get the club back in the black if by a miracle we stayed up then spend a bit but not more than we bring in and repeat ad nauseum.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 21:53]

Final play-off spot on 21:36 - Feb 20 with 1325 viewsHastings_Hoops

Final play-off spot on 21:30 - Feb 20 by GloryHunter

In truth I don't want us to go up as we are nowhere near ready

Get promoted, don't sp*nk the TV money on has-been Joey Bartons, come down with parachute payments, rinse & repeat. As per West Brom and Burnley (under Lee Hoos). Simples.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 21:32]

This is exactly why we should do, but there will be:

1) resistance from some of the ‘quick fix / immediate hit’ fans
2) temptation for uncle tone to take control again
Final play-off spot on 21:41 - Feb 20 with 1305 viewsGloryHunter

Final play-off spot on 21:35 - Feb 20 by loftboy

Au contraire. After our last delve into the hallowed league I’d say that we are more than ready as this time we would do it properly, stick with the players that got us there, take the money and get the club back in the black if by a miracle we stayed up then spend a bit but not more than we bring in and repeat ad nauseum.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2021 21:53]

Love you Loftboy. But Au contraire, you want to get us back in the black, not the red, I presume?
Final play-off spot on 21:52 - Feb 20 with 1249 viewsloftboy

Final play-off spot on 21:41 - Feb 20 by GloryHunter

Love you Loftboy. But Au contraire, you want to get us back in the black, not the red, I presume?

I was up early!!

Final play-off spot on 21:57 - Feb 20 with 1234 viewshantssi

Don’t want to sound pedantic but we’ve played the same amount of games as Rotherham.
But like you Weds and Brum is a fair exchange for WRDC and Forest!
Final play-off spot on 22:02 - Feb 20 with 1226 viewsDorse

Not sure about the play-offs but compare the early season Plan A with the post-Christmas Plan B / C / 2.0 / whatever: it's like two different teams.

Right now, I'm just loving life. But then, I am quite drunk.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024