Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leicester 18:55 - Mar 21 with 2856 viewsToast_R

You wouldnt believe QPR went up the same year as them. 7 years later they've won the Premier League, played Champions League football and just schooled Man United in an FA Cup quarter final. And then theres us with... well what we have.
Leicester on 20:20 - Mar 21 with 2691 viewsstowmarketrange

They looked doomed to relegation with us in 2015.They turned it around in the last 10 matches,including a 5-1 win against us on the final day.They won the league the following season.
Leicester on 20:22 - Mar 21 with 2685 viewsJuzzie

A few years before that they cheated/manipulated their way to promotion and rules were changed as a result but they benefited from it and i think it paved way for what they were able to build on.
Leicester on 20:38 - Mar 21 with 2655 viewslightwaterhoop

I remember when Leicester fans used to excuse their under achieving side by saying 'Leicester is really a Rugby town' i dont hear them saying that now! but good luck to them its always good to see a smaller team give it to the big boys.
Leicester on 21:00 - Mar 21 with 2588 viewsThe_Beast1976

Yes, quite surreal how our respective fortunes turned out (especially seeing as they were below us for some time in our relegation season)
Leicester on 09:29 - Mar 22 with 2400 viewsslmrstid

Leicester on 20:22 - Mar 21 by Juzzie

A few years before that they cheated/manipulated their way to promotion and rules were changed as a result but they benefited from it and i think it paved way for what they were able to build on.

I'm no great lover of Leicester City, but in fairness to them that was in 2002/03, a good 12/13 years and several owners before their Premiership miracle. Also need to remember that as recently as 2008/09 they were playing in League One.

Its a remarkable story they've had over the last 6/7 years and whilst they lose money like every other club in the land does, they've been fantastically well managed and are living a dream bloodying the noses of all the traditional big clubs who continue to look down on them despite the fact they are clearly much better at this time.

Many City supporting friends of mine absolutely lording it of course but I suppose we'd be the same if we were enjoying the same level of success.

And it really goes to show what a bit of ambition can do when getting promoted instead of the same old "aim for 15th" defensive shitshows clubs like Palace, Brighton and Newcastle continue to produce year after year.

**EDIT - It has of course just twigged with me you're thinking of the FFP rather than 2002/03 when they effectively got a stadium for scot-free and worked around the administration rules before points deductions/transfer embargos were put in place.

OK - twice to cheat. Screw it, lets burn the place down!
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 9:31]
Leicester on 09:52 - Mar 22 with 2366 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

My ambitions for QPR are limited to a few European away days before I die, then I’ll be happy.
Leicester on 09:54 - Mar 22 with 2351 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Leicester on 09:52 - Mar 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

My ambitions for QPR are limited to a few European away days before I die, then I’ll be happy.

You've missed that boat (or plane!) Baz.
Leicester on 10:02 - Mar 22 with 2328 viewsdannyblue

Yes well done Leicester and good to see. Leicester, West Ham, Palace, Southampton, Wolves, Brighton and more all went up after us but managed it so more effectively and now look light years ahead of us.
Login to get fewer ads

Leicester on 10:19 - Mar 22 with 2289 viewsrobith

Leicester on 20:38 - Mar 21 by lightwaterhoop

I remember when Leicester fans used to excuse their under achieving side by saying 'Leicester is really a Rugby town' i dont hear them saying that now! but good luck to them its always good to see a smaller team give it to the big boys.

in fact, the rugby team has been in the doldrums for a while now, having dominated the early pro years
Leicester on 10:20 - Mar 22 with 2289 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Leicester on 10:02 - Mar 22 by dannyblue

Yes well done Leicester and good to see. Leicester, West Ham, Palace, Southampton, Wolves, Brighton and more all went up after us but managed it so more effectively and now look light years ahead of us.

Equally though, Wigan, Bolton, Oldham, Swindon, Sunderland, and many more struggling.

Swings, roundabouts, and a bit of luck.
Leicester on 10:25 - Mar 22 with 2276 viewsAntti_Heinola

I think the Leicester story is great. They had a couple of mis-steps with managers, but just about stayed on an even keel and then Brendan Rodgers was an absolute dream fit for them (and him). Great to watch too.

Bare bones.

Leicester on 11:06 - Mar 22 with 2225 viewstoboboly

Weren't there some rumours about some under the counter pharmaceuticals the year they won the league, allegedly?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Leicester on 11:34 - Mar 22 with 2175 viewsToast_R

Leicester on 11:06 - Mar 22 by toboboly

Weren't there some rumours about some under the counter pharmaceuticals the year they won the league, allegedly?

Never heard that one. I think the signings of Kante and Mahrez along with an inspired Jamie Vardy had more to do with it. Also an odd season where the standard top four all seemed to be in a state of transition.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 11:35]
Leicester on 11:48 - Mar 22 with 2151 viewsLazyFan

Or we could have done a Bolton.

The current leadership have rescued us ... for now. We are not clear yet, but the sales in the last few years topped with Eze has shown the club is going in the correct direction despite being hit with Candle face and Warren Farce.

The squad looks like something we can build upon now, rather than having to repair through rebuilding every season. Warbs, Evil Les, Hoos, Eustice, Ramsey, etc have done a great job in turning the footballing setup around. It's been painful, but they have done it. Now we need to sustain it before we look at pushing on.

Yes, that's the mistake clubs make that once it's fixed they can push on, nope, we need to sustain it, embed it as a culture. This is what has made Brentford successful. There is no quick fix and fast track, its all a slow grind.

I want that Academy built as for me that's a game-changer and differentiate us against Brentford and others. Also, its not cheap so, other clubs cannot catch up easily. Does anyone know when this will be built by? I am not sure we have even started yet. I worry, we need to complete that ASAP.

zzzzzzzzzz

Leicester on 12:59 - Mar 22 with 2048 viewsPaddyhoops

Leicester on 10:02 - Mar 22 by dannyblue

Fair point. They've all done it Palace aside with shiny new stadiums and the ability to make money from them which we can't with our tin shoe box!!
Mind you I still love our stadium and would give anything to get back there again!!
Leicester on 13:05 - Mar 22 with 2030 views2Thomas2Bowles

The only team/club I follow in the prem and enjoy seeing them win.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Leicester on 13:20 - Mar 22 with 2017 viewsPaddyhoops

Leicester on 13:05 - Mar 22 by 2Thomas2Bowles

The only team/club I follow in the prem and enjoy seeing them win.

I'm with you on that.
Great people and cracking town from experience.
Took man utd apart yesterday.
Question is How is Rodgers manager at Leicester and Olli manager at Utd??
Leicester on 13:46 - Mar 22 with 1967 viewsEsox_Lucius

Leicester on 11:48 - Mar 22 by LazyFan

Or we could have done a Bolton.

The current leadership have rescued us ... for now. We are not clear yet, but the sales in the last few years topped with Eze has shown the club is going in the correct direction despite being hit with Candle face and Warren Farce.

The squad looks like something we can build upon now, rather than having to repair through rebuilding every season. Warbs, Evil Les, Hoos, Eustice, Ramsey, etc have done a great job in turning the footballing setup around. It's been painful, but they have done it. Now we need to sustain it before we look at pushing on.

Yes, that's the mistake clubs make that once it's fixed they can push on, nope, we need to sustain it, embed it as a culture. This is what has made Brentford successful. There is no quick fix and fast track, its all a slow grind.

I want that Academy built as for me that's a game-changer and differentiate us against Brentford and others. Also, its not cheap so, other clubs cannot catch up easily. Does anyone know when this will be built by? I am not sure we have even started yet. I worry, we need to complete that ASAP.

Along with Bolton... Portsmouth, Notts County, Sunderland etc. I am sure that many of their fans will be looking at us as a good way to keep a club operating efficiently now and hoping that their club would follow suit. The grass is always greener etc. and there appears this desire to compare us to other (flavour of the month) clubs over the last decade like Southampton, Bournemouth, Swansea, Brentford and, as in this post, Leicester as if we could have slavishly followed what they did and we would automatically become a much better club.

The grass is always greener.

Leicester on 16:33 - Mar 22 with 1857 views2Thomas2Bowles

Leicester on 13:20 - Mar 22 by Paddyhoops

I'm with you on that.
Great people and cracking town from experience.
Took man utd apart yesterday.
Question is How is Rodgers manager at Leicester and Olli manager at Utd??

Let's hope Rodgers does not go there.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Leicester on 16:39 - Mar 22 with 1847 viewsPinnerPaul

Very impressed with them yesterday and that's with about 4/5 players out injured as well!
Leicester on 19:58 - Mar 22 with 1759 viewsthemodfather

i blame gary lineker and walkers crisps for all of this! qpr spunked up their money, got poor value for money and few grafters ( after promotion) recalling clint hill telling football focus how it was.....to win the prem league can't be luck, they did well.
Leicester on 20:22 - Mar 22 with 1687 viewsNorthantsHoop

It is good to see Leicester challenging the boring old order of top clubs that have dominated the game for years. They play good football and can now compete with the big boys, long may it continue.
Leicester on 20:36 - Mar 22 with 1658 viewsbakerloo8

Judge yourself by who you were yesterday rather than who others are today we are doing ok and improving.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024